PDA

View Full Version : DL with baby

maizey05
04-19-2008, 01:49 AM
DH and I have been to both DL and DW multiple times. We usually choose to do DW, as it is less crowded than DL. However, we live in Wa, so DL is closer. We will be visiting in mid May, with our DS (will be 15months then). Do you think this would be enjoyable for all of us? We are prepared to spend a decent amount in our hotel room (naps, just relaxing etc.). Am I nuts for thinking this could work? We were originally going to stay offsite, but then I talked DH into onsite, as it will be closer and easier with DS. I stayed at DLH a loooong time ago, and was thinking about PPH. I'd love any hints, info, expertise you might have on traveling to DL with little ones.
PS: DS loves Mickey already! :mickey: He has a stuffed Mickey he adores, has a favorite Mickey storybook, and has pointed at the tv and squealed with delight, when he saw Mickey.

kris10399
04-19-2008, 08:20 AM
We did DL with DD last year when she was 3. She had a great time. I had never been and was surprised at how small it was there. We have taken her to WDW when she was 8.5 months and 2.5 yrs and are getting ready to take her and new DS (8 months) to WDW in 2 wks.
The key is taking it slow and realizing you might not get to everything you want to see.

If your child is miserable, you will be miserable and so will the people around you.

We stayed offsite last year with the 3 y/o but you are probably wise to stay at one onsite. that way you don't have to wait for the tram to the parking lot, be on the tram, hunt for the car and then drive to the hotel.

Good luck, you'll be fine. Set your expectations kind of low so you will enjoy your time more.

Aisling
04-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Okay, I have to admit that when I see people with babies (under a year, not walking yet) I think, 'are they nuts?'. But a 15 month old is walking and aware of what's going on around him. So I'd say, yeah take him. BUUUUUT, as Kris said above, set your expectations low. Make the trip all about him and his first Disneyland experience and you'll have much more fun. If you and your husband are getting cranky with each other because you have to do child swaps at the not 15 m/o friendly rides, then it will make for a cranky trip all around. The first time I took my daughter I didn't even think of it as being a trip for me and it was great. We hung out at the pool (a lot!), rode Dumbo a thousand times, went on every boat ride in existence (except Pirates, that one scared her), and just had a great time.

Also, California Adventure has lots of stuff for the little ones to do - they even have their own land! And make sure the little guy has some water shoes for the play area there. Very fun. Just be careful at the Redwood Creek area, big kids get racing through there and sometimes don't see the little ones, but it's still fun for them to toddle about on the bridges and ropes and such.

Mid-May should be a good time. Not too hot, but it could rain also. Contrary to popular belief, So. Cal does get some rain. More likely it will be overcast in the morning, then get super hot in the after noon. You just never know. Bring sunblock and a sweater. :)

I say go for it, just slow down and enjoy the park all over again through the eyes of a toddler. You might be amazed at what you discover!

tinkwest
04-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I really can't add anything more, but will join in with the others and say . . . If you go with a 15 month old, plan the trip around the 15 month old.

One of our greatest memories is the time we took our DS when he was about that age. We probably went on only a handful of rides, but we spent a very relaxing weekend going at his speed.

I suggest the DLH, just because it is a bit closer than the PPH. When baby is ready to go back to the room, I think the closer the better.

TexasPrincessAurora
04-19-2008, 11:15 AM
You'll definitely be glad you are staying on-site. It was so nice to just be able to walk back to our room at GCH and never have to get DS out of his stroller. That's one of the nice things about DL...the closeness of everything. Be prepared for him to sleep through some things you do...it will happen. You'll have a great time though!

maizey05
04-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the great responses. DS is walking...well, running at this point. I think he would love any boat ride, dumbo etc. as well as Tom Sawyer Island etc. (Actually, in my 20ish visits to Disney parks, I've never been on Dumbo!!!) DH and I are really just looking to get away, relax and have fun with DS. (It's snowing here now, in Wa.)

BrerGnat
04-20-2008, 11:11 AM
It will be very fun for all of you. You might not sleep a lot, but you'll have fun!

We did our first family hotel stay at DLR last October. Our youngest was 16 months. He, too, LOVES Mickey Mouse. He had been to DLR tons of times, but on that trip, he MET Mickey Mouse. It was priceless, his reaction. He ran right up to him, hugged him and kissed his nose! The whole line behind us, in unison, said "awwwww".

We stayed at GCH. It was superb! We got a great AP rate for concierge level and it was absolutely perfect. We also have a 3 year old, so our situation was a bit different than yours. Actually, I think if we had just the little one, it would have been even EASIER and more enjoyable.

The great thing about GCH is that the closet is big enough to open up the pack and play (standard Graco) and then CLOSE the door with the baby inside (there is about a 1.5" crack between the doors, so your baby won't suffocate). ;) This allowed the baby to sleep with minimal interruptions from his very loud and rambunctious big brother! If we had only taken the little one, DH and I would have had some private time after he went to sleep. :thumbsup:

The GCH is nice and quiet, and our little one slept very well both for naps and at night inside his "room".

I like that the GCH is SO close to DL and lets you right into DCA. Although any DLR guests can use the "private entrance", it is not especially convenient to the other DLR hotels. You have to walk quite a ways through the GCH to get to the entrance, so it's acutally faster to go to the front gate of DCA from the other two hotels.

I've stayed at PPH, prior to the kids. I'd not choose it with a toddler. It's just too far for an easy trek back to the room at naptime. I'd go for the DLH or GCH. If you stay at the DLH, the monorail is very convenient for getting back to the hotel (but only if you're already in DL).

If you are really looking to relax and splurge, go for the GCH. You will NOT be disapoointed. Both our boys loved the lobby with the piano player and the fireplace with kid sized rocking chairs! The pool is awesome and even has a mini waterslide for the kids (it's like 4 feet long, and your 16 month old would probably love it).

DCA is great to let the kid out of the stroller to walk around. There are many open areas that make this much easier to do than in DL. Our favorite place is the little amphitheatre outside of the Golden Dreams theatre. It is down by the water and looks out to Paradise Pier. It's a great place for the toddlers to wander away from the crowds.

maizey05
04-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Big thanks to you BrerGnat, for all the info. I'll check into DCA. Just assumed it woudn't fit into the budget. I'll remember about the amphitheater at DCA. DS has to have a place to run and move these days. I'm a little worried about having him in a stroller. He tires of it super quickly. :mickey:

Lucille
04-20-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't have any true-life advice. We'll be visiting DL with our 6 month old in mid-May.

We plan on taking things slow, planning our schedule around nap times and spending time at the pool and watching the Miner 49'ers.

We'll be staying on site at the DLH, but if we could swing the GC we would. You really can't go wrong either way!