PDA

View Full Version : POR vs. CSR

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I've stayed at CSR several times and love it. On our last trip we tried CBR and hated it....so it makes me a little leery to try another new resort. We are going to do 1/2 mod and 1/2 value.

I'm thinking about POR. I have just a few questions.

Do they have elevators?

Is there somewhere that I can view these buildings - magnolia terrace, acadian house, parterre place and oak manor. I remember really liking some of these when I took a carriage ride there last time.

Anything else I should know?

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate everyone answering my questions about these other resorts!:thumbsup:

I just want to make sure I know exactly what I want befor calling MJ.:mickey:

Disnamic Duo
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
CSR is our favorite moderate resort, and we tried POR last Nov. Although we liked it a lot, we didn't like it as much as CSR, and we're going back to CSR this Oct.

If you go to the magical Journeys website you can see good photos of the mansions. We stayed in Oak Manor. It's really pretty - the building, the grounds, the river. We just didn't think it was as pretty as CSR. As others have mentioned, we think CSR seems to have more of a deluxe feel to it.

Goofeygal
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
We have stayed at both and prefe POR. The grounds are just beautiful. If you are traveling with children POR does have trundel beds in the Alligater Buyeu buildings.(spelling is bad)

Ms.Disney
04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
We stayed at POR Sept. of 07 and LOVED it. We would stay there again. We were in the acadian house, we had a water view room on the 2nd floor and it was beautiful! Yes there are elevators. We enjoyed everything about this resort without one compliant. DH and I really like the boat ride to DTD and I enjoyed POR's gift shop. (some how I found myself their everyday :mickey:) Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the resort. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

pdrlkr
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Only one thing to say. Six bus stops before you get out of the resort! :eek:

#1donaldfan
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Actually, if you leave the south depot you have the potential of stopping three times at the remaining depots (there are 4).....the busses do not stop at all of them on every trip...I think it has something to do with which park you may be going to....

....all in all it only takes about 5 minutes to go through all the stops and then your on your way......

.....POR Riverside has to be our favorite....the place is just darn beautiful......you'll have a great time there.....

....Don't forget to eat breakfast at Boatwrights, it's the best breakfast of any Disney eatery.......!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
04-19-2008, 12:07 AM
POR is my favorite of all the WDW moderates! It is just so beautiful and peaceful! :mickey:

Gator
04-19-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm a lover of the South (raised there), but I didn't like POR. The Aligator Bayou reminded me of an apartment complex in south Austin. I really loved CS. Hard to beat it.

Jodileigh
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
We've stayed at both and loved both. I'm trying to remember, but I THINK POR has elevators. Pretty sure, anyway! The biggest "perk" for me to POR is the boat trip to DTD! It's an option no other mod can offer! And it's so relaxing! We stayed in Alligator Bayou and loved it! I know there are several stops on the bus, but there are, I think, 4 at CSR, too, so, to me, it's all about the same! Either way you go, it's gonna be great!

Jodi

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-19-2008, 11:40 PM
POR is my favorite of all the WDW moderates! It is just so beautiful and peaceful! :mickey:

Me too! I despise CSR though. Stayed there one time and it wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't like the theme.

Love, love, love Magnolia Terrace!:joy: Very classy. We've stayed there twice.

QueenDisneyBound
04-20-2008, 07:28 AM
We've stayed at Riverside, Alligator Bayou and absolutely loved it. This was back in 2005. We couldn't compare it to any other moderate, as this was our first trip there. Alligator Bayou's surroundings were absolutely beautiful...even my sons who were 7 and 10 at the time were taken back by it.
Alligator Bayou does not have elevators, but I think that Magnolia Terrace may. Have fun planning!

Hammer
04-20-2008, 09:46 AM
As most posters know, I am a big fan of Coronado Springs. I like the Pepper Market as it offers a much better variety than any of the moderate food courts. The automatic 10% charge does not bother me, as I see it as a trade off for having real plates and silverware rather than paper or Styrofoam plates. I've been in Cabanas and Casitas sections and found the walks to be fine. Bus service is rarely overcrowded and pretty efficient.

Now, I have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside twice and will not consider staying there again. Both times I had trouble with housekeeping, the main reason I would not stay there again. I found the food court to be not as well maintained as Pepper Market and the choices pretty boring. Yes, the landscaping if pretty, but I found Coronado's to be just as nice and the walks took be equal. The buses were almost always crowded and the waits were at times longer than 20 minutes.

disney100%
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Me too! I despise CSR though. Stayed there one time and it wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't like the theme.

Love, love, love Magnolia Terrace!:joy: Very classy. We've stayed there twice.

Same here - we love POR and always request Magnolia Terrace, though last trip we stayed at Acadia House and loved that too. I like the mansions section better than the bayous. The boat ride to DtD is always a nice change from the buses. I also like the gift shop there, it seems to be better than at some of the other moderates. We stayed at CSR once when it first opened and had an unpleasant experience. We may try again someday, but we love POR (and CBR a close second) so much that it is hard to take a chance on something when you know something else has never let you down.

WDW1985
04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
My family and I have stayed at both resorts in the past year and I find most posts consistent with what we experienced, but I may differ on a few points.

I'm a big fan of POR because I love the relaxed atmospere of the grounds and everybody there is on vacation. At CSR you never know what the "convention load" is going to be and mind you they are not on vacation. When we stayed there last February there were a lot of conventioners and the atmosphere was very business like. I actually had a group of people try to sell me a product on my way into the food court (gave me their card, etc.) without me soliciting at all. Where I doubt this is a common theme I still noticed a convention goer feel that is not in other resorts. In regards to the Pepper Market, I thought the food court was very nice and a definite step up from the food court of POR, but a bit overpriced. The POR food court is decent (cheaper price, but not cheap food for the most part) and I personally enjoyed it, but I will say that it can become very overcrowded at times - especially in the morning. I found that particularly annoying, but hey it's Disney and there shall always be crowds. The staff was more attentive than in the past and the food court looks great after its recent renovation. I've heard some negative reviews on Boatwright's Restaurant in POR, but those reviews are second hand. The nightly entertainment in the POR bar is simply awesome. :piano: CSR has a night club that has a pretty modern swanky feel to it. I personally didn't like it that much, but if you like clubbing it's very nice.

OK now onto the buses. Here is where there are big differences IMHO. Throughout the past couple of years POR buses have gotten more crowded, and it seems like you're waiting longer for fewer buses. They deny this and believe me I've taken them to task on this issue, but they continue to beat the drum of them having a bus there every 20 minutes. That's not always true. I've already waited 40 minutes during slow times when there were only a hand full of people waiting at the main stop. With CSR the bus service is very good. From what I was told they treat the convention hotel a little differently??? Not sure on that, but it seemed faster and more direct. Bus service is a huge point, because time is money. POR bus service just seems inconsistent.

I personally choose POR over CSR simply because of the feel, but CSR is a beautiful place and you really cannot go wrong either way. Whatever you decide, you will have an awesome time. I love POR. Man, it's hard to be very objective when you have emotional ties to resorts!!!!

Hope all this helped a little. Have a great trip!!!

WDW1985
:smickey:

katzctkpt
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
We have stayed at both and prefe POR. The grounds are just beautiful. If you are traveling with children POR does have trundel beds in the Alligater Buyeu buildings.(spelling is bad)

We stayed at POR Sept. of 07 and LOVED it. We would stay there again. We were in the acadian house, we had a water view room on the 2nd floor and it was beautiful! Yes there are elevators. We enjoyed everything about this resort without one compliant. DH and I really like the boat ride to DTD and I enjoyed POR's gift shop. (some how I found myself their everyday :mickey:) Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the resort. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Actually, if you leave the south depot you have the potential of stopping three times at the remaining depots (there are 4).....the busses do not stop at all of them on every trip...I think it has something to do with which park you may be going to....

....all in all it only takes about 5 minutes to go through all the stops and then your on your way......

.....POR Riverside has to be our favorite....the place is just darn beautiful......you'll have a great time there.....

....Don't forget to eat breakfast at Boatwrights, it's the best breakfast of any Disney eatery.......!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I don't recall elevators in the Bayou section. They may have them on the mansion side. But, all the posted reasons above is why we love this resort. The bus stop we've never had a problem with. The night return when the parks close yes, they are crowded and it seems to take awhile before another comes. But, the parks are closing and every bus stop is busy and full everyone has to go back to their resorts.

buzz2001
04-23-2008, 05:32 AM
CSR!! Better pool, bus service and food options.

badllamamama
04-23-2008, 08:03 AM
I've stayed at CSR and POR and while POR was nice, CSR was WOW! It is a beautiful resort especially at night when you're walking around the lake. My kids loved the pyramid pool and we all loved the water slide. We rented surrey bikes and boats and had a blast. :number1:

It is a convention resort but that did not affect our vacation whatsoever, never even noticed them if they were there. Conventioneers probably don't have time to lounge around the pool so that leaves more chairs for the vacationers! :thumbsup: