PDA

View Full Version : Best Underwater Camera?

poeticeclipse
04-18-2008, 01:05 PM
I am in need of a good disposable underwater camera. Under $20. Anyone have an suggestions of brands that work well?

gerald72
04-18-2008, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, but I bought a $10 desposable camera at Wal*Mart to use on the days we went to the water parks. The pictures turned out fine, as long as they were taken outside with plenty of sunlight.
I was thinking of getting an underwater digital camera next time.

MartyS
04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Kinda depends on what you will be using it for. I took one to Cozumel to get pics of my DD's first dive ( Scuba ). We didn't go very deep, like about 40 feet, but I had to come up to about 20 feet to advance the film, because of the pressure. Not the safest way to dive. If you are going to be taking pics in the 10 to 15 foot deep range, the Fuji disposable works fine.

crazypoohbear
04-18-2008, 04:15 PM
We have used the walmart and the cvs brand with good results in the water parks and the beaches.

Goofeygal
04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
I used the Fuji when I went to Jamaica and it worked well.

coloradowendyl
04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Another vote for the fuji brand. Our Grand Cayman pix came out great last year. We got them at Best Buy for about $10 a piece.

Wendy

Magic Smiles
04-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Sorry, I don't remember the brand, but I bought a $10 desposable camera at Wal*Mart to use on the days we went to the water parks. The pictures turned out fine, as long as they were taken outside with plenty of sunlight.
I was thinking of getting an underwater digital camera next time.
I have used a few different makes of the disposable water cameras. All were about the same - fine.
In December I bought the Olympus Stylus 790 SW, which goes underwater. It also takes video. I loved it. Took some fun video going down the water slides at Blizzard Beach. It also takes pretty good pictures when out of water. Even though I had an Digital SLR, I used this little camera quite a lot on our Dec 07 trip.

Lizzie
04-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Not a big fan of the disposable underwater camera. My pics from the last trip were all outside in great light.

I have a little sony camera and I can get a case for it for about 150 or I can get a bag that I can put it in and use it for about 40. I am planning on purchasing one of these for the summer and my next trip. I love pics of the kids swimming so I want to make sure they turn out next time.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I can't stand disposable cameras. I have tried Canon and Fuji underwater cameras. I took both to Hawaii last year for snorkling and the pictures wen't great. I have never had good luck with them underwater or disposable.
I wish they could come out with something better.

mktiggerman
04-21-2008, 12:19 AM
If the camera is just going to get wet, then any disposable will work fine. I've used Kodaks with decent results.

If you plan on submerging it more than 2-3 feet, none will work well unfortunately. Light rays don't work the underwater in the same way they work above water (ie- it's basically darker, with colors disappearing the deeper you get, in the same ROY G. BIV pattern we're all taught in middle school)

Diznee4Me
04-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I have used the Kodak underwater cameras around pools/beach and the photos turned out pretty good. They are fun, cheap and you don't have to worry about ruining your more expensive cameras.

If I was doing serious unerwater photography I would splurge on something more expensive.