PDA

View Full Version : Anyone REALLY considering moving to Fla to work at Disney??

Disneymom4ever
04-18-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm just curious, I see a post once in a while about wanting to work at Disney World, and am wondering, are any of you really seriously planning on doing it? My DH and I have been talking alot about this, and even though we have a ways to go with our kids being grown and gone, we indeed are making that plan. My oldest DS will be in 10th grade this year, and is still saying he will be working there as well in the future, that is his career goal. So we'll see, maybe I'll be following my kids down there! Anyone else?

like2workout
04-18-2008, 01:59 PM
I can't do it now or anytime soon, but i am seriously thinking about that for some time down the road. i would love it!

Goofeygal
04-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Me and my DH have taked about it. He is retired and our sons are 19 and almost 21 so we do have the option to do this. I have told him I would love to move and work at Disney in the winter months. I think it would be wonderful.

Dyanna
04-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I don't think I could work for Disney as much as I would love to. I like having my evenings, weekends & holidays off & I am not a night person. Although the benefits might be tempting!

brownie
04-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Once the kids are out of high school, I really want to move to Florida and work at Disney World. Of course, our oldest is in 5th grade right now, so there's a few years before we can really look into being able to make the move.

dundeehunter
04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Even though this is a ways away...I have a plan that when my girls are out of college on doing well on their feet, my DH and I will retire from the State of WI where we currently work, and he will retire to Colorado and I will retire to Disney. I have my Barber license, so my goal is to one day work at the Disney Barbershop! :cloud9: Plus getting out of the Wisconsin winters would be heaven!

murphy1
04-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I still love Florida!! Lucky enough to be from there and have lots of family still all over there. I'm also lucky I live in Ga and can enjoy the seasons. The funny thing is everyone from FL (born/raised, not transplants) wants to go to NC or GA! I really like all three states. You might consider what a lot of people do and do seasonal living. I think you would miss the beauty of NC a lot, but if you did seasonal you could have the best of both.

NJGIRL
04-18-2008, 03:26 PM
While it sounds like a nice idea I don't think we would be able to afford to work there. From what I hear (I have family that live in Orlando)the salaries there are not very high and when I retire I plan to fully retire and not work.

Plus I think if I worked there it would lose alot of it's appeal.

murphy1
04-18-2008, 03:39 PM
While it sounds like a nice idea I don't think we would be able to afford to work there. From what I hear (I have family that live in Orlando)the salaries there are not very high and when I retire I plan to fully retire and not work.

Plus I think if I worked there it would lose alot of it's appeal.

She makes another great point. I left Florida b/c it was tough in the job market. Also, during a recession guess what state is one of the hardest hit. Some people don't think Fl housing prices are a lot, but insurance is harder and harder to get and what you get isn't a lot of coverage for what you are paying (I was in the insurance business there). Taxes are getting $$ too.

DestinationWDW
04-18-2008, 03:46 PM
I come from a background in the amusement industry. It would be great but I think it would ruin the MAGIC. Here's an option that I wish I knew about during my college years. Disney has an excellent intern program for college students. Although Disney does pay them it's not much and they also deduct monies for room and board. But you can’t believe the experience you'll receive plus, the bullet points you can put on your resume. My daughter is very interested in the program but she has 5 years left in high school. My hope is that she doesn't changer her mind and that she keeps her grades up.

Disneymom4ever
04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
:thumbsup:Wow, it's great to hear everyone's comments on this. I think what really got us thinking was when we were there recently, we met a couple at Universal (sorry, the OTHER theme park!), during the Mardi Gras parade. They said they lived close, and come every weekend to the party and concerts. They absolutely loved living close by! They had annual passes there as well as Disney. Then we met another 2 ladies while standing in line to be on the Ellen Degeneres show. They said they come every year, and go to all the events at Disney throughout the year. They too loved living down there! To me those would be some the perks, but working at Disney is my ultimate goal.

I know what you mean about it ruining the "magic". I, too, wonder that. But my BIL has worked there for 24 yrs, and he's still as much a Disney nut as I am, so there's hope, I think. It's funny, because he says when he retires, he's moving to Asheville, NC (and hr. from here). I told him we should just trade houses!

Destination- Yes, I've checked into the College program as well. My son has 3 yrs. left in high school, and that's his plan.

Murphy- We moved here 2 yrs ago from Seattle, so I know what you mean about the beauty here, it's different than WA, but really nice. Whenever we drive to Disney, I comment on how green it is in FL as well, but being from the Pacific NW, it's the humidity I'm trying to deal with here in the East. So yes, that would be my biggest challenge. I think when I work at Disney, I want to drive the monorail, in the A/C!

Dulcee
04-18-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm graduating from college next year with a BS in biology/neuroscience and I'm trying really hard to grab a spot in the professional internship program within the Animal Kingdom.

It's only a six month position and I'd be going to graduate school hopefully somewhere after but I'd be there for a bit.

The runing the magic idea has come up but I feel like working in the animal program would be a bit different then some other aspects of working in the parks. Anyways, wish me luck that I get a position in a year!

joanna71985
04-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I have been down in FL 19 months since 2005, working at Disney (and will be doing that again May-Aug). I plan on moving down for good after I graduate next May.

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Yep! And the U-haul is sitting right outside in our drive way! :truck: We decided to move a couple of weeks ago and will be on our way on Thursday. Crazy? Yeah, probably but sometimes in life you just have to go for the things that make you happy. My DH is going to finish his paramedic classes in Orlando and I am going to try to get a job at Disney as soon as we get there. We decided that Disney is were we are the most happy so that is where we decided to move. We have been doing a job for too long that we really don't like so it's time for a change. :bang:
We couldn't make a final decision so here's what we did..we put pieces of paper in a hat with yes and no. My kids each put a yes in there because they knew they wanted to go and my DH and I both put a yes and a no because we really couldn't decide. Then, we prayed over the hat and left it to God. We pulled a yes and that's what we're going with. It's easy to put everything into it believing it is God's will. The flip side of that would have been having to stay if the answer was no. Everyone wanted the answer to be yes so it worked out. Now, this packing thing is about to drive me crazy! :fit:

joanna71985
04-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Good luck with everything!!:thumbsup:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Joanna! Oh, and thanks for all your help on the other thread!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
I can safely say - working for Disney does not ruin the magic. In fact, it makes you appreciate it so much more when you see just how much work and effort goes into maintaining all of it. Plus the real magic is something a lot of Guests don't see, or rather, they are too caught up in their own magic that they don't notice.

For me, the real magic is watching the reactions of Guests during things like Wishes and the parades when little children are so excited because Mickey or Cinderella waved to them. Or when a boyfriend proposes to his girlfriend on top of the train station.

There is always becoming seasonal - you can make your own schedules and decide when you can or can't work. You'll still get most of the benefits. Or part time - it doesn't require full availibilty so you can choose not to work nights or weekends.

In the end, I plan on staying with the company and ultimately, I want to reach an executive position, preferably Bob Iger's position (but will graciously accept Meg's position). I feel that if I could reach that position, I can try to bring back what the company was about, instead of what it's becoming - families instead of finances. I think this is the best job in the world, even if the pay is horrible.

joanna71985
04-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks Joanna! Oh, and thanks for all your help on the other thread!

You are welcome.:)

RockChalkKimball
04-19-2008, 06:16 PM
My DH and I have been talking about this since our first visit in 2001. We will both be able to retire fairly young, but won't be ready to do nothing, so we are thinking we will do the seasonal thing. Work some and travel some and of course, by then, see our grandkids. I want to be the fairy godmother in the afternoon parade at MK!! Or, something else where I get to make magic. My DH wants to be a bartender:secret:

WDWdriver
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Yep! And the U-haul is sitting right outside in our drive way! :truck:

Best of luck to you! Let us all know how it goes. Feel free to contact me when you get down here. I'm wishing you the most magical experience of your lives. :pixie:

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Best of luck to you! Let us all know how it goes. Feel free to contact me when you get down here. I'm wishing you the most magical experience of your lives. :pixie:

:thanks: I have really appreciated your help. I really feel ready to go in there. I just can't wait. :thumbsup: :rocks:

Nate's Grandpa
04-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I can safely say - working for Disney does not ruin the magic. In fact, it makes you appreciate it so much more when you see just how much work and effort goes into maintaining all of it. Plus the real magic is something a lot of Guests don't see, or rather, they are too caught up in their own magic that they don't notice.

Jessica,

Cast members like you make Disney a magical place.

Thank you!!!