PDA

View Full Version : Best DDP restaurants when dining with young children

MickeyandTink
04-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Intercot was a great help to our planning for last year's trip and I'm hoping you all can come through again. :thumbsup:

Last year we took DD (then 6) and had several great meals. This year, we are taking DS (turning 3 while there) and DD (will be 7). We are on the DDP and have some definites we've made ADR's for, but need one to two more. We are not big breakfast eaters, so we are looking for dinner suggestions. So far we have:

Chef Mickey's
CRT (for DW and DD, DS and I are going to do some male bonding at Cosmic Rays or Columbia Harbour House)
Whispering Canyon
Akershus
Garden Grill

We have also tentatively scheduled 50's prime time, but I'm not a big homestyle cooking fan so I would be happy to change it if you all have a better suggestion.

Last year we did CM's, Akershus, Boma, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, O'hanas, and 1900 Park Fare. While we enjoyed them all, we did want to try a few new ones. Some of the ones under consideration are:

Teppan Edo
Biergarten
Cape May
Marakesh
Any other places that have decent food and would not be boring to a 2/3 year old

Looking forward to your suggestions.

cal5755
04-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Besides Chef Mickeys our other family favorite is Crystal Palace. The buffet is really good and you get all your Pooh characters. Those two are on our must do with the kids.

We are going to take them to the Coral Reef this year too... mom and I ate there last November and it is so relaxing, good food and I think the kids will really enjoy the fish.

As for 50's ptc!! I think your 7 year old will get a kick out of seeing his parents get scolded for having elbows on the table etc. Plus they have burgers etc on the menu. We thought the food was great.

Have fun whatever you decide!!

SBETigg
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Keep in mind at Teppan Edo and Biergarten (both good choices, by the way) you may be seated with others. Considering your party size and makeup, maybe not but it is a consideration when you're traveling with little ones.

The great thing about Biergarten is that there's a band and they do welcome guests to get up and dance. The kids usually love it. If you have kids who like to get up and run around, it's a great time for them. Teppan Edo requires some sitting still and watching the food prep may or may not be fun for them. Marrakesh also allows some interaction with a band and belly dancing, too. All good choices. Have fun deciding!

Mickey'sGirl
04-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Some of the ones under consideration are:

Teppan Edo
Biergarten
Cape May
Marakesh
Any other places that have decent food and would not be boring to a 2/3 year old.
We have taken our youngest at ages 2, 3 and 4 to each of the above restaurants (Biergarten only once, however). They are all fabulous choices.
Our kids really really really love the food at Marrakesh, and they love to watch the belly dancer (not in a lewd way -- but because she is so beautiful and lovely with the children).
Biergarten is tons of fun ... there is kid food and sausages and noodles if worse comes to worst. Our guys are part German, so the food worked for us :thumbsup: ... and they LOVED going down onto the dancefloor when the band played. It was a really good experiece all around.
Cape May -- Breakfast or dinner? We've done both, and our guys enjoy both. There are characters at breakfast, and there is seafood at dinner ... so either one is a good choice. We have found the servers to be very attentive ... a great spot.
Teppan Edo -- Our kids love sushi and rice and this is one of our oldest son's favourites. Unfortunately his brother fell to sleep before our meal and stayed that way for long after when we were down in March. That said -- I wouldn't hesitate to go, but it would be at the bottom of this list.

Have a great time!! :mickey:

biodtl
04-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I think Crystal palace is always a good choice with the little ones. There are food choices for everyone, the atmosphere is nice, it's right in MK (so it's easy in/easy out), and the character interaction is great.

Kidsmom
04-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Since you did O'hanas last time....try Hoop Dee Doo Review this time. We loved it. Our kids are between 4-10 yo. The ribs were really good...we were quite surprised! The show is VERY cute.

Have fun!!

wdw_bound
04-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Since your DS will turn 3 during the trip, he is not have DDP credits. Buffets are free, or he can share from your plate at a regular TS, otherwise you will have to pay OOP.

When we went in December, our DS was a month away from turning 3, so we were in the same boat. We found that family style / buffet restaurants worked best for us from a value standpoint (DS eats as much as if not more than our 9yo DD, so sharing from an adult plate was not an option).

We loved:

CP (dinner last trip was awesome, but have also really enjoyed breakfast previously)
WCC (he was allowed to partake in the skillet at no charge)
Biergarten (both kids love to dance and enjoyed trying different foods)
Ohana was good, but they seem to be changing the menu, so I can't recommend it personally.
Trails End was also a neat choice - we took the boat over from WL and let DS run around outside before we were seated. Buffet included ribs and chicken, along with some other really good stuff, and the staff was among the friendliest I've seen at WDW. You might even consider eating here before going to the movie and sing-along with Chip and Dale.

On previous trips, we have also enjoyed Coral Reef (touch and go with keeping a 3 yo interested, though) and Liberty Tree Tavern.

Have a great trip!

Kairi_7378
04-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Of the places that you are considering, I think your best bets will be Beirgarten and Cape May Cafe. Your DD may enjoy Marakesh, and DS may have fun watching the dancers. I think your kids may be a little young to "get" 50's Prime Time Cafe.

barnaby
04-18-2008, 10:23 PM
We did the Liberty Tree Tavern for the character dinner with the kids and enjoyed it.

And although I heard prior that the Sci-Fi Dine In had terrible food, we ate there for lunch and were pleasantly surprised.

elmjimmlm
04-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Ohana is great...Wonderful food and kid interaction...If you are looking for a character breakfast, Donalds Breakfastasaurus (? spell) is great too...:thumbsup:

RockinRollerMom
04-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree with the previous poster that buffets are the way to go. My DD8 LOVES Cape May. She loves it so much she is requesting we eat there twice in our upcoming trip. The food is great, lots of variety (not just seafood) and it is an easy walk from Epcot or boat ride from DHS.

MickeyandTink
04-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I know I could count on my fellow Intercotees. Thanks for all the great input, especially about the Crystal Palace. We've made ADR's for there and have decided to switch from 50's prime time to Sci-Fi.

Glad to see the good reviews on Cape May and we may still go there. If we are unable to get there this time, though, it will definitely be on the next visit list.