PDA

View Full Version : Help with Q's about resales & Picking resort

u2daisyblue
04-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I really want to buy into the dvc but buying 160 points right now is not in our budget so I have been looking buying resale like 50 or 60 points and either going every other year and banking or taking sun thru thur trips. My q's are as follows:

We are interested in OKW, BW and BC, I have seen resales of 50 - 60 points for these, which would you recommend?

If you only buy 50 - 60 points can you still book 11 months out or does that change with few points?

If we bought OKW when do those expire?

I know this board is sponsored by TTS which we are looking at for points but are there any resale places someone would advice against, bad experiences. I don't know if you can list names, not sure on that policy so if this would be breaking policy obviously don't post. I'm just trying to make sure everthing is on the up and up.

We are renting points from a friend to stay at OKW this dec so we will get to see it first hand. We really like the way it looks and have heard it's been renovated. Anyone stayed there since renovation?

I love the idea of being able to walk to Epcot and studios from BC and BW, we are walkers. My friend loves BC, her kids are same age as mine. Can anyone compare give me pros and cons to each (dd is 5 and ds is 7)?

I really appreciate input from all sides. I love the idea of buying into DVC as I want to go as much as possible, just can't make financial committment to buy 160, at least with buying the 50 - 60 we'd be able to pay off in less than a year.

THANKS!!!!

epceddie
04-18-2008, 02:58 AM
My advice is to buy as many points as you can afford right now. You can always add more points in the future.

You can make reservations 11 months in advance at your "home" resort, which is the one you buy your points at. You can make reservations 7 months in advance at the other DVC resorts.

Old Key West is a great resort and the timeshare contracts there run out on Jan. 31, 2042.

I stayed in a studio at OKW in October of last year and couldn't have been happier. The room was great, the grounds were beautiful, it was very quiet and the main pool (with a nice slide for the kids) was outstanding.

Olivia's is a pretty good place to eat on site and you can take a nice boat ride from OKW to Saratoga Springs and Downtown Disney.

My wife and I just purchased 150 points at Saratoga, where we spent our recent honeymoon.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at OKW in the future. The 1BR villas are fabulous. They're huge and the bathroom has a jacuzzi tub that's great to slip into after a long day in the parks.
They also have washers and dryers and a private porch or balcony.

We've never stayed at the Boardwalk or the Beach Club, but we plan on visiting both in the future as DVC members.

FYI, studios at OKW are eight points a night during the value season. I believe the 1BR's are 12 points. Both go up a little at the BW and BC.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision.

DVC Mike
04-18-2008, 07:22 AM
We are interested in OKW, BW and BC, I have seen resales of 50 - 60 points for these, which would you recommend?

Everyone will give you a different answer, depending upon their personal preferences. OKW is a nice laid-back resort away from it all, whereas BWV is right in the middle of the action. I happen to own at BCV and BWV, so you can see which resorts I prefer.

If you only buy 50 - 60 points can you still book 11 months out or does that change with few points?

It doesn't matter how few or how many points you own -- all DVC members are treated the same. I happen to own 700 points but someone who owns just 25 points has the same privileges and perks as I do.

If we bought OKW when do those expire?

If you bought OKW resale, you'd most likely get a contract that expires in 2042, whereas if you bought OKW direct from DVC, it would expire in 2057.

I know this board is sponsored by TTS which we are looking at for points but are there any resale places someone would advice against, bad experiences. I don't know if you can list names, not sure on that policy so if this would be breaking policy obviously don't post. I'm just trying to make sure everthing is on the up and up.

I haven't heard anything negative about TTS. There are also a couple other good brokers out there as well.

We are renting points from a friend to stay at OKW this dec so we will get to see it first hand. We really like the way it looks and have heard it's been renovated. Anyone stayed there since renovation?

OKW is the oldest DVC resort. That said, Disney does a good good refurbishing the rooms. My last stay at OKW as Oct 2007 and my room was great.

I love the idea of being able to walk to Epcot and studios from BC and BW, we are walkers. My friend loves BC, her kids are same age as mine. Can anyone compare give me pros and cons to each (dd is 5 and ds is 7)?

BCV has the great Stormalong Bay, which is the best pool at WDW, IMO. It also has the best location right outside of Epcot. We love Beaches and Cream and Cape May Cafe. However, BCV was added on to BC after the fact, and is behind the resort so the views aren't that great.

BWV has the lively boardwalk area, the point-saving Standard View rooms, the Boardwalk View rooms with the best DVC view, but you must go outside to eat, and parking can be a bear unless you valet. And I won't mention the LONG hallways.

Maleficent's Dad
04-18-2008, 11:12 AM
DVC Mike hit upon everything very nicely! I think he summed up most of what you asked perfectly! (In other words, I agree with him! :mickey:)

The resorts are both very close to each other - within easy walking distance. Surrounding the lake is the BW, Swan, Dolphin, YC, and BC. Of course the BC is closest to EPCOT's International Gateway entrance which is nestled between the UK and France.

Beach Club
The BC has a character breakfast at Cape May (although staying at the BW, we've often walked over there for the meal - we ARE early risers!). You'll also find SAB at the BC in addition to two quiet pools. The BC has a very nice Marketplace in which to make purchases and a variety of nice snacks. There's a yogurt parfait thing that my wife loves for a quick b'fast. The counter at the Marketplace is quite nice for snacks.

The BC also has B&C for burgers and ice cream, but I can't stand that the place is so small for such a large resort... Long lines to get in at times.

Hurricane Hanna's is a good spot at the main pool for snacks & drinks.

There's also the solarium as well as the Drawing Room and Breezeway areas for quiet time (like reading and relaxing!).

Refillable mugs can be used at HH, B&C, or the Marketplace.

At the BC, there's no Community Hall. Otherwise, no real "Cons" to this place!

Boardwalk
Luna Park Pool is a great and wonderfully themed main pool area. The quiet pool has a Community Hall - designed for DVC'ers - with free games and lots of activities during the day. There are two quiet pools as well, here, one on the villa's side, the other on the Inn side.

Boardwalk is closer to MGM (oops, DHS!), and the walk is significantly shorter if you leave from the rear of the villas.

Boardwalk has no options for character meals, unfortunately. Breakfast is limited to sit down at Spoodles or some small options (ie: The Bakery). They used to serve some b'fast items in the Belle Vue Room, but I do think that's been discontinued. I do believe you might be able to get some smaller b'fast items on the Boardwalk at one of the carts, but that seems to be hit or miss as well.

Refillable mugs can be used at the Bakery, and when open, one of the carts on the B'walk.

Both Resorts
Neither of the resorts has a true "zero-entry" pool. There is an area at SAB where you do have that option, but it's a sand-bar type area, and not the traditional type found in other resorts.

Both resorts have terrific access to fine dining. For starters, you're a short walk into EPCOT's WS, and you have access to all the resorts. Plus you're a short distance from the studios, so you could easily eat there as well.

Both are very convenient to two parks.
Both share buses with other resorts.

IMO, you can't go wrong with either as your "home," and that 11 month window is getting to be pretty important, so choose where you want to stay!

Good luck with your decision! Looking forward to "Welcoming You Home!"

JPL
04-18-2008, 01:39 PM
I purchased through The Timeshare Store and everything went fine a nice smooth transaction. It also helps to support our sponsors since that's what keeps Intercot going:thumbsup:

MarkC
04-18-2008, 02:37 PM
We also purchased through the Timeshare Store. Very painless-- did everything by phone, email and regular mail. Call them and tell them what you are looking for. I personally recommend Beach Club. We have two boys who are now 18 and 15. We first stayed there a few years ago and have never wanted to stay anywhere since. Your kids will love the pool and everything about the resort. You and spouse will love the location. I often will leave at 8:45pm and walk to Epcot, watch Illuminations and be back in the room at 9:20pm. The entire resort is awesome. Even my wife, who does not usually render opinions on these matters, loves BC as well. With your kids as young as they are, I couldn't imagine a better place for you to stay as they grow, especially as they reach teenage years. We also purchased 100 points because that fit our budget and need. Best of luck to you in your decision. Mark

u2daisyblue
04-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Wow, this is really great to hear all this. I truely feel blessed to get such first hand advice from you all and I do greatly appreciate it. From what we've seen online, my hubby likes the laid backness of OKW but I don't think you can beat the convenience of walking to Epcon and MGM (oops, I just can't get used to the new name).

Again, thank you all so much. I am hoping we'll decide soon so I'll keep you updated.

You guys rock! :rocker:

Maleficent's Dad
04-18-2008, 10:30 PM
my hubby likes the laid backness of OKW
Keep in mind that even if the BCV is your home resort, you can still stay at OKW - it's just that you'll be able to book BCV at the 11 month window. Quite often, you will be able to book a room at OKW at the 7 month window as it's such a large resort.