PDA

View Full Version : Best Lesser Known Things to Do

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Hi there,

I am a newbie to this awesome site. My Boyfriend (whose birthday we're celebrating), my sister, my BIL, my 3 year old and 5 year old nieces and I are going to WDW May 11-17th. Can you tell me your favorite things to do there that no one knows about, or that people hardly do? Or even the stuff everyone does but that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks so much everyone!!!

DisneyTeen
04-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Welcome, everyone is going to come with their own favorite thing, I would make sure to get your boyfriend a birthday pin at town hall. He will get wishes all day from people.

Also, on a side note, if the DMB in your name stands for what I think it stands for, then your alright in my book. :drummer::piano::tuba::nopity:

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Hahaha yeah it does stand for what you think it does!!

(I wish I had a fist of rock Emoticon right here)

#1donaldfan
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
:pixie:Welcome to Intercot:pixie:

My advice would be not something you CAN do, but HOW you do Disney.

Enjoy your week, and take it slow and easy....don't try to rush around and get everything done at once. Disney is a big, big place and it's not done in a week, really !! I'm sure you'll have a great time, but don't get in such a hurry to "SEE IT ALL", or you'll just stress yourself out....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

JMTStone
04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
:welcome: Where are you staying? Onsite? I agree with Donaldfan (as another Steeler person I would), take it slow.

Make your ADRs
Don't forget to FastPass
Work the park front to back if you're there when it opens.

Do a water park!

Dress up for Pirate and Princess party

For birthday, go to DisneyFlorist.com and order something to be delivered to your room for him. There are a few cool guy-things.

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 02:28 PM
How does the fast pass thing work?

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Oh, and also is there somewhere I can find a list of what may be closed for renovations while we're there? Do they release that info or is it just potluck?

joonyer
04-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Ride the Monorail, even if you are not staying at a monorail resort. My boys thought riding through the inside of Contemporary Hotel was ultra cool! :waycool:

I also recommend visiting one of the Disney water parks. :swim: We had as much fun there as any of the theme parks. Especially if you go during hot weather, its a great way to cool off in the afternoons.

Another fun thing with little ones (adults too) is a character breakfast. We like Crystal Palace (Pooh & Friends) :pooh:and Donald's Breakfast at AK (now at Tusker house) with Donald Mickey Pluto & Goofy. :pluto: :goofy2: One added bonus of a character breakfast in a park is you can get a head start on the crowds if you get an early ADR (before park opening) When you finish Breakfast, you'll already be inside the park and can get to your favorite attraction as soon as they open, well ahead of the big crowds. :crowd:

Another fun thing to do is visit resorts you are not staying at. You can really get an idea of where you'd like to stay on your next visit. Which you will want to start planning as soon as you leave WDW!

Lastly and most important be sure to stay in the MK until you can see Wishes. Watch from somewhere along Main Street USA for the most magical view of the fireworks over the castle. If its late for the little ones, plan your day so they won't be too tired before the show. It's an absolutely DO NOT MISS attraction. Definitely the most magical moment in WDW to me, and a great way to end your day. :fworks:

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
That was an awesome response! Thanks so much!

phatcatrun
04-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Here is a link that explains the fast pass: http://intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp

And here is a link that will tell you the scheduled refurbs: http://intercot.com/infocentral/calendar/refurb.asp

If there is a history buff in your group, show up to the Hall of Presidents about half an hour early. The CM usually gives tons of facts about the different presidents and the history of the United States.

Another thing I think people miss is the Hoe Down that happens outside Country Bears. They pick people from the crowd to help them square dance and it ends with the Hokey Pokey. We happened to have caught it about 5 - 10 minutes after the 3pm parade ended. I'm sure if he has a birthday button on they will grab him to join.

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the links!!

Gottaluvgoof
04-17-2008, 03:15 PM
When you are in Epcot, go to the Plastics Factory, (It's named something like that) in Innoventions. You can build your own plastic robot and you get to take them home. IT'S FREE and everyone in our group really enjoyed our robots. To top it off, Mousekeeping at our resort arranged them everyday in different poses. It was fun coming back at night wondering what they would be doing when we got back.

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
When you are in Epcot, go to the Plastics Factory, (It's named something like that) in Innoventions. You can build your own plastic robot and you get to take them home. IT'S FREE and everyone in our group really enjoyed our robots. To top it off, Mousekeeping at our resort arranged them everyday in different poses. It was fun coming back at night wondering what they would be doing when we got back.

That is adorable!!

GrumpyFan
04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
PhatCat, both those links were for the Refurb schedule.

Here's the fastpass link:
http://intercot.com/themeparks/tickets/fastpass/default.asp

Also, be sure to check out InfoCentral (http://intercot.com/infocentral/default.asp) there is lots of helpful information there.

More Specifically, take a look at Hidden Treasures & Magical Surprises (http://intercot.com/infocentral/park/hiddentreasures.asp)

SBETigg
04-17-2008, 03:31 PM
A lot of people don't know about the special tours you can take at extra cost. Behind the Scenes Tours. (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/tours.asp) Or things like The Richard Petty Driving Experience. (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/programs/petty.asp)

Or some of the recreational experiences, like Horseback riding, carriage rides, (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/recreation/horseback.asp) or Fishing excursions (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/recreation/fishing.asp), golf, tennis or boat rentals.

But then, if you're a first-timer, you'll probably want to spend most of your time in the parks visiting attractions, shopping, and dining. Study maps and make a prioritized list of things you want to see. And something a lot of people miss that's fun? The Electrical Water Pageant (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/accomodations/electricalwaterpagent.asp) nightly on the Seven Seas Lagoon. You can catch it from the beach of the Polynesian Resort, also a great place to watch Wishes, the Magic Kingdom fireworks.

tink2006
04-17-2008, 03:38 PM
If you are staying on Disney property, take an afternoon break. It is amazing how that helps! Remember, you are on vacation.

Also, if you ride the monorail, ask to ride upfront. They will allow four people (?) at a time so you will have to divide up. Well worth the wait.

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
You guys are awesome. Keep em comin!!

mook3y
04-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Use the photopass. There are photographers all over that will take great pictures for you and it goes on the card. At the end of the trip you can review all your pictures and get 1 or 2 ($$$$$ way to go) or purchase the CD with ALL the pictures and take it home with you. You can even pre-purchase it for $99 i believe.

Plus, you can add all kinds of borders to your pictures before you have the CD sent.

Gator
04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Whatever you do, don't miss the fireworks. To me, it's what keeps me coming back for more.

Also, when you see a live show at Epcot, stop and get the best seat. Especially for the World Showcase Players at the Italy and UK pavillion.

Jasper
04-17-2008, 04:25 PM
One attraction that is not to be missed at the Magic Kingdom is The Carousel of Progress. This show doesn't get a lot of press because it is one of the very earliest attractions in the park but it is really great fun. And if you don't spend the rest of the day singing the theme song from the show then I would say you slept through the show!

Floridian Yeti
04-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi Diva-and welcome!

I'm going the week before you, and once we get home, I'll try to send you a short list of things that catch my eye for a WDW newbie.

One little piece of advice I'll give you is:
make sure those little ones get a chance for a nap and a swim or some playground time each afternoon (You should do the same as well!). You'll all have more fun if you stay relaxed, fresh and rested, even though you may have the urge to try and do everything.

Have a blast!

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Diva-and welcome!

I'm going the week before you, and once we get home, I'll try to send you a short list of things that catch my eye for a WDW newbie.

That would be great, thanks!!

milhouse
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
Make sure you read through the trip reports on this site. It'll give you some insight on how the true Disney Pros do the World.

elmjimmlm
04-17-2008, 05:09 PM
If you are staying on property then take full advantage of the EMH...last year we did every late night that we could...You can get on just about everything with little or no wait...Plus if its hot, night feels so much better...:thumbsup:

g8rgirl29
04-17-2008, 05:10 PM
For the 3yo and 5yo, bring a change of clothing and let them run around and get wet in Ariel's Grotto. That was a great pick me up for our tired and hot 3yo. They have sprinklers that shoot up and get them wet, one way in and out and place for adults to sit for a spell!! Also Pooh's Playful spot has many shady areas and is like a small playground for them to run around in. A few places for them to run off some of the steam especially if they have been confined to a stroller.

the real Alice
04-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Another fun thing with little ones (adults too) is a character breakfast. We like Crystal Palace (Pooh & Friends) :pooh:and One added bonus of a character breakfast in a park is you can get a head start on the crowds if you get an early ADR (before park opening) When you finish Breakfast, you'll already be inside the park and can get to your favorite attraction as soon as they open, well ahead of the big crowds. :crowd:

Thanks for this great tip! I just made an early reservation at Crystal Palace for our trip in May. Do you need anything special to get in early and get to the restaurant?

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for this great tip! I just made an early reservation at Crystal Palace for our trip in May. Do you need anything special to get in early and get to the restaurant?

Yeah I want to know that too. I made a reservation for 9:15, how early should I move it to?

hooberry
04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
:mickey:for the little ones bring an extra change of clothes for getting wet, my daughter loves running around in the sprinkler at epcot . it is just before you get into the world showcase area, we usually grab a drink and sit while watching the little ones have a ton of fun. The grotto in MK is a blast too:thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah I want to know that too. I made a reservation for 9:15, how early should I move it to?

Take the earliest time they will give you, probably around 8 or 8:30. The 8(or earlier) will allow you to get in and out before crowds come in at 9, so that you can be at one of the lands before the ropes drop-- but depending on where you stay, it could be harder to get there in time. The 8:30 will allow you to stroll down Main Street without crowds before eating, great for pictures, and easier to make the ADR without stress-- but you won't make it to attractions before the crowds.

And make sure it isn't a morning EMH day, because then you could enjoy the early time in the park and eat breakfast later once crowds come in. When you have an early ADR, they have a list of names at the entrance. You give them your name and they let you in. :mickey:

DMBdiva26
04-17-2008, 06:09 PM
That is a great help. Thanks!

Brainiak5
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
If youre staying on property, take advantage of the afternoon heat to take a break poolside - the little ones can re charge and cool off too. Keeping the kids from having a meltdown is key. Sometimes they can get so excited they can get burned out from the heat and such. An earlier poster mentioned Ariel's Grotto- thats a great spot.

Take your time- so many people are in a rush. Make friends with your fellow vacationers on the bus or in line- say hello. Keep the work face at home and smile.

We enjoy visiting Ft Wilderness- the trails end is a great buffet style and we've always had an excellent server. Whispering canyon at the lodge is another fun meal stop- ask for the ketchup :)

stitch34
04-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Take your time and enjoy the atmosphere.

Use photopass.

Take time to watch the entertainment in each of the parks...you could even get pulled into the action. My niece and I got to dance with the African dancers at AK.

We enjoy the animation lessons at DHS. They teach you to draw a different disney character in each class. It only takes I believe about 10 minutes. We did it for the first time last year and all enjoyed it. We did it like 3 times.

Also don't miss any of the night shows. Fantasmic, Spectromagic, Wishes and Illuminations are NOT to be missed:magic::mickey::clappy::joy: Disney magic at its best!!!!

beksy
04-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Just to encourage you to take the others' advice--remember that this is your vacation! It is so tempting to want to rush and try to cram it all in (which is still impossible but tempting to try) so remind yourself to slow down and notice all the little details that Disney puts in (like the fiberoptics in the sidewalks in front of Innovations at Epcot at night, etc.) to make the place even more special. Make those important ADR's but don't stress about everything else and just have a great time. Remember that the things you miss this time are just another reason to plan another trip soon! Let yourself get lost in the Disney magic and act like a kid--take pictures with the characters (use Photopass when possible it's terrific!), join in the interactive things, etc. I'd also agree that it is important to take some down time to explore your resort and ride the monorail and ferries, always fun for us! Something noone has mentioned (I don't think?) is Pleasure Island if you and your bf are old enough, especially the Adventurer's Club. Its fun with the kids but also nice to have some adult time! My biggest piece of advice is just to go with the flow--if you see a show in progress or starting, stop to watch it, etc. That ride you were running to will still be there a little later but that group may not be out when you're around again! Have a great trip!! :mickey:

cloud9
04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
When DH and I were on our honeymoon the surprise hit for us was minigolf. Fantasia gardens is the best minigolf we have ever played. We had a great time taking silly pictures with the props at each hole. We also went late at night so we didn't worry about the hot sun and it wasn't crowded.
The water parks are a great day for everyone. The active types can run around and go on the slides or in the wave pool while those looking for relaxation can just float around in the lazy river. We try to schedule the water park in between the park days so we have a nice relaxation day.

I'm sure your trip will be wonderful and magical no matter what you do! Just make sure to relax and enjoy yourself.

4ubie1
04-18-2008, 09:42 AM
My best piece of advice for newbies is relax and enjoy yourself. It is very tempting to race from attraction to attraction trying to see everything and do everything. But with little ones, this could turn into the week from hell. :thedolls:

Another recommendation is to talk to people. My family and I chatted with many of the CMs in Epcot's different countries and learned alot of neat things about their home country and they gave helpful tips for negotiating WDW. Plus, they had the DL on many of the restaurants and shows. :secret:

Oh...and do take mid-day breaks, they could be a life saver in warm May!:D

poeticeclipse
04-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Many people have already mentioned this one but I think it's worth mentioning again. Walk slowly and don't make it about getting from attraction to attraction as quickly as you can. I think it's important to know what you're going to WDW for. The shows? The thrill rides? The education stuff? Make a list of attractions at each park that you are most interested in enjoying. I REALLY advise people to check out the Unoffical Guides day itinerary. It can save you up to 4 hours standing in line! That's four more hours that you can be enjoying the real joys of Walt Disney World. It's all about hitting certain attractions at certain times in a specific order. It's not hard once you know where you need to go next. If you get side tracked its not a big deal. ENJOY IT! Just get back on your "schedule" when you're finished.

Take advantage of character meet and greets when the line doesn't look terribly long. You may feel like you're wasting time by not being on an attraction but some of the moments that you have with characters really make your trip that much more special.

Strolling around the resorts is really fun! The Boardwalk has a lot of fun entertainment around dinner time. I love the sword guy!!!!!

MarkC
04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Couldn't agree more with the prior responses about fireworks shows and taking swimming breaks. I would avoid Fantasmic with the kids as that will probably be too intense for them.

Another important aspect for the kids is sleep.
If they happen to fall asleep for 15 minutes on the bus, etc. let them take a short nap. It will really help them as the day and week goes along. You are going at a great time as the crowds should not be bad, so don't bother standing in long lines. Normally, lines are shortest at the beginning and end of the day.

And don't be afraid to ask us Intercot devotees more questions before you leave, and cast members when you get there. Have fun. Mark

DMBdiva26
04-18-2008, 02:28 PM
I REALLY advise people to check out the Unoffical Guides day itinerary.

Is this a book?

mdricks
04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
The crystal palace breakfast tip is one we do every time, You will get a fantastic opportunity for a family picture with the castle in the background with no-one in between you and the castle.

I would add to the tip as follows, after breakfast go up into the castle so you will be near the front of the line when they drop the rope. Go to your left to a little shop called Tinkerbelle's treasures. The first child that asks gets to tap on Tink's box to wake her up. A little light turns on and you hear Tink "wake up". Its very cute.

Also if you can get on the first boat over to
Tom Sawyer's island there will be two or three paintbrushes "hidden" on the island. If you find one, you get a free fastpass to Thunder mountain or Splash mountain.

If you get a seat close to the driver on the jungle cruise the tour guide might ask one of the girls to "drive" the boat.

I think this has been mentioned but DEFINITELY take the monorail to epcot. When you get up on the boarding platform find a cast member and ask to ride up front with the driver. They allow four passengers with them up front and it is a real experience. Take a video camera. At the end of the trip the driver will give everybody honorary monorail conductor's licenses.

People line up EARLY for the parades. If you are intent on a good seat be prepared to stake out your territory with plenty of time to spare.

Lastly a nice break in the action is to have Belle read the girls a story. They do this in a small nook to the right of the castle before you get to the tea cups. The scheduled story times will be in the park guide.

Oh I almost forgot, if you intend to eat at some of the table service locations, make all your meal reservations now. 1-800-wdw-dine. With the girls at 3 and 5 try to get one meal at Chef Mickey's.

I know im missing alot so look for more later......:number1:

DMBdiva26
04-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Those were great! Thanks!

I look forward to more!

poeticeclipse
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Is this a book?

Yes it is! I'll PM you a link to the website.

DMBdiva26
04-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks!!

pdrlkr
04-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Take time to enjoy the little details at Animal Kingdom. Don't just rush through it like so many do. :thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
04-18-2008, 06:41 PM
My DD always enjoyed Story Time with Belle when she was younger. A lot of people miss that unless they just happen to be walking by about the time it starts.

teambricker04
04-18-2008, 07:56 PM
I can't believe I haven't read this on this thread (I didn't read some of the longer ones, forgive me if I repeat!) You must try a DOLE WHIP! There is a stand in Adventureland or you can get them at the poly. They are nummy, addicting, and one of the most highly talked about snacks from the parks. Plus, you can sit in the shade to eat them.

Arnold Simba
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
I've been to Disney World multiple times. One year I visited for 10 days! My friends said, "Oh, you'll get bored after a few days!" They were wrong! lol One thing I found extremely enjoyable was taking the time to chat with castmembers at most of the attractions. I asked them about their jobs, where they were from, funny stories that happened on the job, etc. I would say that 99% of them were very engaging with anecdotes. Very friendly, very funny on-the-job stories, behind-the-scenes info, etc. One late late night, on the tram to the parking lot outside the T.T.C., I rode in the very back seat of the tram chatting with the female castmember in the "caboose car." We had such a great chat that I stayed onboard for the return to the T.T.C. - ended up taking 3 round-trips chatting with this lovely castmember. When I eventually left for my car, she suggested that I apply for a job at Disney! lol So my suggestion is to spend a little time chatting with the castmembers!

barnaby
04-19-2008, 09:52 AM
A couple lesser known things we enjoyed, both at Hollywood Studios:
Walt Disney: One Man's Dream - This is an "exhibit" and movie about Walt's life. http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/disneystudios/mickeyave/onemansdream/default.asp
Animation Academy - A cast member teaches you how to draw one of the Disney characters.
http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/disneystudios/animation/magicofanimation/default.asp

threeh
04-19-2008, 11:17 AM
We always spend lots of time at Innoventions in EPCOT. Alot of exhibts are hands on and it's just lots of fun. There are 2 sides to Innoventions (east and west). Another thing we love to do is play the Mission Space Race game at the end of Mission space. It's in the big roped area as you get off the ride. Soo much fun. We played that over and over again our last trip.

Happy planning:mickey:

dumbo ears
04-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I love to head over to the boardwalk and walk around and then eat at the espn club

TheMartellFamily
04-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Kidcot in EPCOT going around the World Showcase and that is a big hit for my kids. We also like to get a passport book and have someone in each country sign the book it is a really neat experience. At Ft. Wilderness there is campfire and sing along with Chip and Dale. You can find the schedule in the camping section of these boards. Here there is also a movie and you can purchase s'more kit and roast marshmellows. There is also at night the electric water parade outside the MK or one of the resorts found on this lake. Visit other resorts we love to do this. Go to DTD and shop at night it has a whole different vibe than during the day. Get a front ride in the Monorail where they drive this is a real experince and don't forget to get the co-pilots licence. Talk to the bus drivers and tell them you heard about bus trading cards. Maybe start pin trading, as for my kids are only do this with CM. Talk to a CM and learn about more about WDW and some things can be so interesting. Experience the Resort TV in the hotel room. I can think of so much more but I will stop now.

cheshirekitty
04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming vacation! Just a couple of things that you might want to consider:
1) I second the advice on the book Unofficial Guide to Disney. It was a lot of fun to read and very insightful. You also get to link to a website using a code from the book to get forcasts for which park will be the least crowded.
2) Consider doing a "tradeout/switch" for the big rides (SplashMountain, ThunderMtn and SpaceMtn). The younger ones will not be able to ride those rides but you can explain to the CM that you and your boyfriend are trading out. One of you rides and the other stays with the kids and then you switch, bypassing a second time standing in line.
3) At Epcot in Japan (at the store near the back of Japan) you can purchase a drink called RAMUNE. It has a ball that you punch with the flat of your hand and it carbonates the drink right in front of your eyes. My children loved that.
4) Don't underestimate the novelty of the Innoventions pavilions. You may be able to get the girls back out of there but you may lose your boyfriend in there, esp in the section with the electronic games! You can e-mail a postcard from Innoventions and also from Mexico featuring yourselves (at least you could in 2007).
5) Crystal Palace is a really good choice with the ages of your traveling partners. We actually prefer doing lunch here to get a break from the heat. Breakfast with the Princesses is also fun, you can do that at Epcot or at MK.
6) After exiting Mission Space at Epcot there is/was a playcenter that featured tunnels (like chuckycheese), this should keep the girls entertained if one of the adults does not want to ride and is airconditioned.:thumbsup:
7) Be forwarned that just about every ride empties into a store now. We found it easiest to explain to our children that they could pick out one thing each day (within reason). Once they had made their choice we would remind them that they may see something else better later, are you sure this is what you want. If so then we would get it and remind them of it when they saw something else.
8) Go to the dollar store and buy glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces. Pull them out after dark for the parades and fireworks.
9) Buy the fan/watermister the first day. Trust me you will break down and buy one at some point anyway. (Unless you bring one from home).
10) Remember to stroll between the rides and really look around. A lot of the fun of Disney is the theming and just the joy of being there. The rides are great too!
I hope not too much of that is repeat from the other great responses you already have. Have fun!:mickey:

AwPhooey
04-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Explore the nooks and crannies in Epcot's World Showcase... there are lot's of things the can easily be missed!

Meteora
04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Hidden Mickey searching! My sister and I love doing this--the book (if you want to make that investment, it's only about eight dollars or so) is so easy to carry around, and it gives us a great excuse to go on rides multiple times. Our whole family got into it last time.

DMBdiva26
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks you guys! This is all so great. I started a WDW notebook so I could write all this stuff down and take it with me.

You guys have anything else?

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Welcome to Intercot! :welcome:
My tip for you is to take your nieces after early Crystal Palace breakfast to wake up Tinkerbell :tink: at the store behind the Cinderella Castle. Apparently, the first people in line get a key to open her treasure box that she sleeps in. Then she flys around the store. :magic:

DMBdiva26
04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
So it seems like the best places for breakfast are either Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's. Can anyone compare and contrast them for me?

DisneyDog
04-23-2008, 01:24 PM
I've never been to Crystal Palace (we are going there for dinner on our trip next week). I have been to Chef Mickey's. I thought it was pure chaos and craziness. For me, my favorite character breakfast is at Ohana. Much more relaxed, table service instead of a buffet, and if you go early enough you get very personalized attention from the characters. We will be going there on our last morning.

joonyer
04-23-2008, 05:21 PM
So it seems like the best places for breakfast are either Crystal Palace or Chef Mickey's. Can anyone compare and contrast them for me?

Well one of the main differences is that CP is INSIDE the MK. That means if you get an early breakfast ADR (on a non-early EMH day) you can finish your breakfast and be waiting for park opening already deep inside the park. You'll get a great head start on the crowds and be able to ride several attractions (or one attraction several times) before any lines build up.

Other differences:
1) CM is inside the contemporary atrium, which is a really cool atmosphere. CP may be inside the MK, but the interior of the restaurant is not as cool as CM
2) CP has Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet:pooh::eeyore::piglet::tigger: , while CM has Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Chip & Dale :mickey2::minnie2::goofy2::chipdale:

What's Similar:
1) They are the same price.
2) Menu, service and food quality are similar. I've eaten at several of the character breakfast buffets and although the menu items are not identical at every restaurant, the menus are very similar, and the food quality is about the same at all of them in my opinion. The food is all pretty good if not excellent, and there are plenty of choices for everyone, no matter what their breakfast tastes. I've had pretty good service at all of them, but you need to understand going in that they are all crowded and very hectic, and you won't get personalized attention service like you would at Cali Grill or Artist Point. So don't expect that kind of service and you won't be disappointed. Overall the all the breakfasts are fun experiences, but just based on food and service they all would be overpriced compared to outside the world breakfast buffets if you weren't getting to meet the characters while you dine.

Our personal choice for breakfast is either CP or Donald's in AK, because we love to get a head start in the parks in the a.m. Since it's not in the park, I would choose Chef Mickey's for dinner instead. But you won't regret going to either one for breakfast.

DMBdiva26
04-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks, Joonyer, that helps a lot!

slsfrederick
04-26-2008, 02:15 PM
If you do attend a waterpark my suggestion would be to go to typhoon lagoon- we went to both blizzard beach and typhoon lagoon, and typhoon was hands down the best! :thumbsup:

Exo
04-26-2008, 04:50 PM
One attraction that is not to be missed at the Magic Kingdom is The Carousel of Progress....

Ditto!:thumbsup:

HndrdPrcnt
04-26-2008, 04:55 PM

It depends on what you are looking for here. However, for our family, we much prefer the benefits that come with doing breakfast at Crystal Palace. If you make your ADR for their first available reservation of the day, you can get in to the park before it opens, have breakfast, and still make it to one of your favorite attractions before anyone else.

With Chef Mickey's, you then have to travel to the MK or one of the other parks after breakfast, and you will probably not be there for the park opening. However, you have the classic Fab 5 characters at Chef Mickey's where at Crystal Palace it is the Pooh characters.

Since we don't go for the characters, the food and the benefit of getting in to the park early drives us to Crystal Palace. We are going to do Chef Mickey's our first night when we arrive (since we arrive mid-day) so that we can get our character autographs and pics out of the way on Day 1.