PDA

View Full Version : Using DVC points @ DLR

doodleboy
04-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Has anyone used points to stay at GC in DLR? We are thinking about switching it up next year and going to DLR instead of WDW. Just wondering if anyone has done this with points and found it to be a good value. I know that sometimes DLR has room/ticket packages that are great values, so I was thinking I may be better off renting my points to close friends and using the cash toward a package. Or even banking the points for future use if a good package deal comes up.

Unfortunately, the GCV will not be complete by June 09. At least I don't think so.

Disdude
04-17-2008, 01:16 PM
We used points to stay at Paradise Pier one night a little while back. We had extra points left and we lived about 50 miles from DLR so we were trying to burn them up.

I would not call it a good value but it allowed us to stay a night for free when we would have otherwise lost the points.

Value Season:

A week at Beach Club in a Studio = 104
A week in a standard view hotel room at GC = 189

You definitely get more for you points at a DVC resort but I don't think it's a terrible value.

wendy*darling
04-17-2008, 01:44 PM
We used our points to stay at the Disneyland Hotel concierge in 2004. We were used to a 1 or 2 bedroom villa, so squeezing DH & I and our teen sons in a regular hotel room was the hardest part.
Like the previous poster showed- you don't get as much for your points staying outside of DVC resorts, but if it's DLR you want- it's a great way to be able to go.

We are contemplating our next DLR visit but will wait for the GCV to be ready. I am sure they will cost more points/night than WDW villas, but it will be better than a regular hotel room for us.

If you have never visited DisneyLAND- it is worth it any way that gets you there. It is a magical place! :mickey:

JPL
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM
The one aspect nobody has mentioned about using your points at DLR they currently change the status of your points to resort use points so if for any reason you cancel they must be used at a resort and can't be used at a DVC or put back into your use year.

doodleboy
04-17-2008, 09:13 PM
The one aspect nobody has mentioned about using your points at DLR they currently change the status of your points to resort use points so if for any reason you cancel they must be used at a resort and can't be used at a DVC or put back into your use year.

Thanks for that information JPL. I did not know that, and was considering booking via DVC points then waiting to see if they released a special room/ticket package closer to my trip and canceling the reservation that used my points. That would have put me in a bad spot with those points being converted to resort points. Maybe I'll just bank those points instead or better yet plan a second trip for MNSSHP in October of 09, and pay cash for DLR.

BTW - That's what I love about these boards. I learn something new all of the time.