PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland . . . .

Janet89
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I am determined for my son to experience Disney again before he is 10. OK, we have been on the Disney cruise and to Magic Kingdom. He was little, so we missed some of the attractions due to needing a break. The problem is, my husband does not like amusement parks and this includes Disney.

There is a trade show in Orlando that we MIGHT attend. If this happens, we will be back to WDW. If not, we will be looking at a spring break trip, which will be mid-March. IF DH goes, I was thinking we might fly to Vegas (something HE likes plus free hotel). Stay there a couple of days, maybe see a show, then drive to Anaheim for a couple of days. If he refuses, I will take DS myself to WDW.

Sorry for the long, rambling intro. . . . . I have researched WDW to death, but really haven't found as much info about DL. :confused: Are there touring plans? Where should we stay? I would like to stay at GC, but I know it is $$$. We have rewards cards for Hilton, Marriott and HI properties. I think I read there is a Fairfield Inn across from DL? How will crowds be mid-March? TIA everyone!!

BrerGnat
04-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Well, I think you should just take your son by yourself. Please, spare your son from having to experience Las Vegas...

I can help you with any DL planning you need. I am an AP holder and live less than 15 miles away. I go weekly (practically) with my two boys, 3 and 2 years old. We were just there today, in fact.

Yes, there is a Fairfield Inn literally across the street from the entrance to DL on Harbor Blvd. You can walk to DL in about the same amount of time it would take from the GCH. There is a Hilton hotel as well as a Hilton Suites in Anaheim, but it's not within easy walking distance. The suites are across the freeway, to be exact. They probably have a shuttle, though. There is no shortage of cheap places to stay within walking distance.

The GCH is a stellar hotel, though. In my opinion, one of Disney's best. If you could swing it at all, it would be a wonderful experience. If you are really going to commando the parks, though, might be best to put your money elsewhere, since you may not have time to really appreciate the DLR hotel amenities to the fullest.

Mid March is crowded. Especially around Easter. In fact, the whole three week period from like March 15-April 7 or so is jam packed. We were at DLR last Tuesday and it was a MADHOUSE. I was there today and it felt deserted in comparison, but it was still more crowded than, say mid October.

If you can only go during spring break, think twice. DL is a smaller park than MK by a lot, and when it gets really crowded, it is darn near impossible to walk from place to place. Plus, when it's that busy, it tends to get abused, and my precious Disneyland starts to look trashed. :( Last week, for example, the park sort of felt a bit dirty, unkempt, and run down. Today, however, it was sparkling clean and pleasant. It's just amazing how excessive crowds can really overwhelm the park and make it difficult to keep up with the trash/cleanliness situation.

If this will be a "once in a lifetime" trip for you all, I'd seriously consider planning for it to occur during mid April-mid May, September-November, or January-early March, if at all possible.

If you have any further questions, please ask!

Janet89
04-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks so much for your reply, Natalie! Lucky you to be so close to :mickey:.

Las Vegas certainly isn't my first choice to take DS, but we have been several times and know about what NOT to do (like dragging him down the strip at 2 am). I do think he would enjoy a show and a nice swimming pool. It would be a far different trip than when just DH and I go.

With that being said, regarding your advice with crowds, we may want to consider a different time. DH would be even more turned off by crowds that you can't move through. :mad:

I joined TourGuideMike for touring plans and less busy parks for WDW. I wouldn't mind traveling during busier times with this info (not Xmas, though :)). Does something like this exist for DL? I have seen info about ridemax.

Thanks so much!

Mrs Bus Driver
04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Be warned during the first 2 weeks of October a lot of schools take a 1 or 2 week break especially here in Az. It can be as crowded as summer those 2 weeks. I used to run up there myself at that time but its just to crowded for me anymore.:(

NotaGeek
04-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks so much for your reply, Natalie! Lucky you to be so close to :mickey:.

Las Vegas certainly isn't my first choice to take DS, but we have been several times and know about what NOT to do (like dragging him down the strip at 2 am). I do think he would enjoy a show and a nice swimming pool. It would be a far different trip than when just DH and I go.

With that being said, regarding your advice with crowds, we may want to consider a different time. DH would be even more turned off by crowds that you can't move through. :mad:

I joined TourGuideMike for touring plans and less busy parks for WDW. I wouldn't mind traveling during busier times with this info (not Xmas, though :)). Does something like this exist for DL? I have seen info about ridemax.

Thanks so much!

Disneyland Crowd Estimator (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=115765)

tinkwest and I put this rough guide together for our members for these types of questions...

Good luck! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
04-20-2008, 11:01 AM
The issue with busier times at DLR is not even really so much the long lines. Like I mentioned, it just gets tough to WALK AROUND. The paths at DL are a bit more, shall we say, "intimate". They are very narrow and bad bottlenecks occur that can make it take very long to go from point A to point B. The worst of these is in Adventureland, which is a major thouroughfare. The second worst is in Tomorrowland (along the route with Star Tours and the Rockets and Buzz Lightyear). Fantasyland scores third in "bad bottleneck syndrome". If you are not fairly acquainted with the layout of DLR, and know of secondary "escape routes", these crowds can be frustratingly maddening.

DCA provides some relief when DL is too crowded, due to simply less people and huge, wide pathways. However, it can be very upsetting for a first time visitor to have to feel compelled to leave DL in favor of DCA, simply because there is no breathing room at DL.

Also, be aware that FastPass at DL is not a widespread as at MK in WDW. There are not too many fastpass attractions at DL, and the ones that do have it run out very quickly!

Honestly, spring break at DLR is pretty awful. I'd not recommend doing it unless you were at DLR veteran, and wouldn't mind doing a lot less in the parks. I went during spring break simply because my MIL was in town and wanted to go with the boys. She actually bought an AP, though, since she'll be back for a month in the summer. She was fine with leaving after like 3 hours, simply because it was too crowded and we weren't getting anything done.