PDA

View Full Version : Kind of discouraged...

wdwgrl377
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Everyone...

Well, I've been in this wonderful state of NC for some time now and I am loving it! I actually feel like I have a 'life' now. I've got alot of family, who care for me, and friends that I grew up with. I'm doing alot of things with them and also some new friends that I met.:cloud9:

But I'm discouraged. I can't find a job ANYWHERE! I've applied online with Careerbuilder, Monster, the local newspaper ads, hospitals, etc., you name it. I even have gone to employment agencies.

This is when I get so discouraged and depressed b/c I never went to college out of high school. I just wasn't ready, at that time. Then I get sick with Crohn's and battle that in itself and I feel like i'm not qualified for the jobs that I see available. :(

I'm believing and trusting in the Lord to give me the job that is right for me. I guess I'm just having one of those down days, and the only way to get it out is to vent. I feel like I'm letting even my mom down b/c I don't have a job yet, but I'm trying. I just don't get it? :shake:

SBETigg
04-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry you're feeling down. I can understand the feeling.

:pixie: to turn the day around, and best wishes that the right job pops up at the right time.

MsMin
04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
I believe that that is a reason for the trials we go through. Good things will happen and this is all part of a learning process that you will use in later years. Have you thought about going back to school now? Just to take a course or two and sometimes you can get a little job on campus.
Start thinking about what you really want to do and take steps toward that. It's never too late to go back to school and sometimes with the help of federal aid you can get money to help for housing etc.
Keep looking forward... :pixie: you have so much to give.

wdwgrl377
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Yes, I have thought about going back to school. I've taken some medical transcription courses, but then I got sick and wound up in the hospital for three months straight. I feel so down b/c once I start something, I wind up getting sick or hospitalized, and then I can't complete the course. The courses were at home, online, and I enjoyed being in my own environment taking them. The course has now expired. I have spoken to that company and they will not let me go back and start over having explained all I've been through, in the last several months. :(

I am more focused now to go back to school or to take a course, than I was back out of high school.

I feel 'pressured' b/c my mom keeps bringing up the fact that in order for us to move to a two bedroom I need a job and she has no money now that I'm living with her for the moment. I don't mind still living with her b/c we get along great, but its times like this that I feel more pressure. I am doing all I can to find a job and apply myself, but I'm just down about it. I feel like a loser b/c I never went to college, and when co.'s see that I've never had a college education they just pass me by. I had more luck at getting a job while I was living in New Orleans than here. But the job market in N.O. when I was there were hiring all over and I was blessed to get a great job asap.

Thanks for the wishes and encouraging words. I know things will look up for me and get better.

murphy1
04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I was in the insurance business and that's a great field, especially if you get your license. I did Transcription for two years. It's hard to break into, but once you do, it's good. I went to a tech shool to train for it. You might want to work in a dr. office and they could let you do some MT and maybe be an office assistant, b/c that would be good to get experience. I just went to Asheville and loved it, go visit Biltmore if you haven't been there yet, it's gorgeous! Good luck, it will work out

wdwgrl377
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you Murphy1 - and to all.

I would LOVE to work in a medical office. I've applied here and there but haven't heard back from anyone! I am so willing to learn all their programs and how they do things. I'd love to be a unit secretary in the hospital. I've spent many, many a day, night & months in the hospital and would like to work there. I've got alot of the medical lingo under my belt. Dealing with Crohn's, surgeries, Dr's visits I've had, reading my own medical records I know, not alot now, in the medical field as far as terminology, etc.

How do I go about letting the Employers of hospitals, Dr's offices, etc know that I am not fluent on medical terms, but I do know some. I've heard RN's talk, Dr's talk around me...especially dealing with Crohn's for 10 years I am not saying I 'know it all' b/c God knows I don't, but I am so eager and willing to learn and use what I do know in a medical environment!

Im still looking as I type this. Seems like everything on Career Builder is "Work at Home" stuff and not job jobs like I am seeking. Argh!!

Disneymom4ever
04-17-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry that things seem so frustrating right now. We are somewhat in the same boat career wise, my Dh got a management position at work recently, but it actually lowered his pay. Yes, I know, makes no sense to me either. So now, me being a sahm for the last 10 yrs, have been picking up the newspaper, seeing what's out there. It's just no fun, I tell you. (I don't have college experience either).

All I can say is hang in there, as I'm telling my Dh, "Everything happens for a reason." That's what I firmly believe, and there have been so many times I've looked back and thought, "Wow, if I hadn't gone through that bad stuff, I wouldn't have ended up here in this great place". It will work out for you, just hang in there. :thumbsup:

MauiMouse
04-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Monica, sorry that you're feeling so down. I totally understand, when I lost my job it felt like it took forever to get another one. Hang in there something good will happen to you. You're a great person! :thumbsup:

ncscgirl2005
04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Hello. I can tell you that Cary, NC is a beautiful city but has a competitive job market. If you want to work as a Unit Secretary, I would encourage you to continue looking on hospital websites. Also, review your resume. Your resume says a lot about you before any employer ever meets you. One misspelled word can possibly turn off a potential employer. I've seen this all too often here at my job. Keep looking. A job is out there for you.

wdwgrl377
04-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Maybe I can add on my resume' that I've had some medical training, in transcription? Or should i leave that out since I never completed the course due to my illness?

I just really want to work in a hospital or medical office. I've been through so much medically myself, that I have a compassion for the sick and hurting people. Becoming an RN, I'd love to, but i get so queezy and feel faint even when they are working on me. So, I'd like to do something Clerical in that environment.

It's been over a week since I applied for several jobs at local hospitals. Is this normal to wait this long? I applied online, would it be wise to give them a call?

Any suggestions or advise on this topic would be greatly appreciated!! :D

SBETigg
04-18-2008, 06:35 AM
I would add anything that helps you get the job. That would probably help. Maybe you should look for work in other fields for now and volunteer in a hospital environment? It's very rewarding, plus you meet people and are there to know when new jobs are posted. Just a thought. You can do as few or as many hours as time allows for a week.

It's a hard time to get a job and you're more likely to get one if you have more qualifications and keep your options wide open. So the goal might be to get a job in a clerical field anywhere, and then keep trying the medical field as you build your resume. I would call and check on the jobs you've applied for, can't hurt to know where they are in the hiring process.