PDA

View Full Version : Calling make up gurus...

LittleSpirit02
04-17-2008, 10:58 AM
This is a bit of a random question but I'll ask anyhow. I was watching some of High School Musical 2 today and I the actors makeup is perfect. Does anyone know what kind of product they use to get the ort of glow or shine on the cheekbones? Vanessa Hudgens in particular. Any idea what product they are using? I've tried highlighting powders and while they do give shimmer, the overall look is still..."matte" for lack for a better word. Any idea what they might be using? Again - I know random but any help would be good. :)

P.S. If you wanna see what I mean, look up "Gotta Go My Own Way" on youtube.

Lehman Family
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm no professional on make up by any means, but I think a lot of the look also has to do with lighting. They change a lot of aspects of the shoot to make the look ideal, make up and lighting being 2 of those aspects. I'm not saying that it can't be achieved, I just know there's a lot more they put into making people look the way they do than just hair and makeup.

drummerboy
04-17-2008, 01:26 PM
The heavy doses of makeup that are used for stage and screen production would be too much for every day use. It has to be applied pretty heavily so the actors' faces don't wash out in the bright lights. I think the Max Factor company was started by a movie makeup artist who toned it down for people to use every day.

murphy1
04-17-2008, 01:35 PM
There are tons of people who make them look like that, makeup people, lighting like everyone said and they also can do final editing to make them have the look you are talking about. They use a lot of computer aided things now too on TV and magazines. One thing you might want to try is the new mineral makeup that's out for normal everyday makeup, it's light and will give you a nice glow. You don't have to buy the expensive Bare Minerals, you can now find it at regular stores like Target, it's easy to apply and not too bad $$. I like the Physician's Formula Mineral Makeup a lot. I used to do theater work and hated the heavy makeup they used on us, I wanted to get it off my face right away. Especially living in FLorida!!

kakn7294
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
I second Shari's suggestion of the mineral make-up. I use Everyday Minerals brand which I buy directly from their website but it seems as if everyone has a mineral make-up product these days. I know many of the Everyday Mineral products have an added "shimmer" that will probably be what you are looking for.

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I got Bare Minerals for my bday and I love it! This was right before all the other companies began marketing their cheaper versions, which I hear are pretty good as well.
People tell me all the time that I have a nice tan and natural glow... when I tell them it's makeup they are shocked! You need to practice with mineral makeup a few times to get it right but once you get the hang of it is easy and fun! Buff buff buff!

DisneyDog
04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I use Bare Minerals and I love it. Luckily, they have a store at my local mall (Maryanne, you should take a ride out to King of Prussia. They have a fantastic store in the Plaza). They showed me how to put the makeup on and did my color matching, and they are always so helpful. I love their products. They have a shimmer-type product and a nice bronzer, and it all looks very natural. Individually, the products aren't too outrageously pricey, but when you start buying a lot, it does add up. So, there is a big "start up" cost, but it levels off. Their products last a very long time. I have been using it for a year now, and have barely made a dent in any of my eye makeup products and blush. I do go through the foundation about once every 3-4 months. Not too bad.

LittleSpirit02
04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. There is a Bare Minerals store in my local mall, maybe I'll stop in some time and have them do my makeup and see if I like it. :) I have some powders that are shimmery but the overall look of the makeup is still kinda of "matte" and not...shiny (?). Does the mineral makeup give that glowy/shine? lol. I'm at a lack of words to describe it...

DisneyDog
04-21-2008, 01:23 PM
They do have some products that shimmer. Although I tend to avoid them because I have oily skin (the Bare Minerals is great for me with that).

Dulcee
04-21-2008, 01:43 PM
The glow that celebrities always seem to have on their cheekbones you can mimic using a creme blush. It's mosturizing so it gives you a shiny finish without looking greasy.

It can be kind of expensive, $25ish for a small compact but my compact lasts around 3 to 4 months. I will warn you though that it takes some getting use to in applying but it's hard to mess it up as long as you get the right tone for your skin (i'd suggest testing a bit of it on the back of your wrist before buying). It also lasts quite a bit longer then normal powdered blush.

Hope that helps some!

Dakota Rose
04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
The biggest shimmer bang for your buck is definitely High Beam by BeneFit Cosmetics. They also have Moon Beam which is good if your skin is medium-shade. Both are of a creamy consistency and they give you a very dewy, shimmer that looks a little moist and very youthful! I'm a beauty advisor with Avon, but this product blows away any other I've seen -- except commercial grade products, of course. You can buy BeneFit in most department stores like Macy's or Dillards, as well as online or at Sephora.