PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios?

Goofy1138
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. Heres my question; first of all, me and my family are going down to Disney next month. I have been to MK, Epcot, and MGM, my wife has only been to MK. We are doing the 3 day park hopper and are planning on going to both MGM & AK on Sat, MK on Sun, and Epcot on Mon. The dillemma is what are the things we should DEFINETLY do in Hollywood Studios & AK? I know at HS, we will do Star Tours, the Aerosmith coastet, the muppets show, Indy show, and hopefully Beauty & the Beast. We will be getting to HS around 8:45am, so we can go straight to the Sorcerer's Hat for photo ops with the characters, then head over to the Pixar area. What are some things that should be done at AK? Should we even head over there? Any help would be great!

Dulcee
04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
You must must must do the safari in the animal kingdom. Personally, I think it is the number one attraction the animal kingdom and well worth the wait (however if you hop over there right after opening you'll walk right on).

After that I'd say you want to try and do Dinosaur and Expedition Everest.

I could spend days in the Animal Kingdom just looking at the animals but that may just be me :blush:.

Enjoy!

Goofy1138
04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Between the Lion King show & the Finding Nemo show, which one would you reccommend? We will be riding Dinosaur and Expedition Everest.
And I want to watch the parade @ 4:oo. I gues the big thing is just the time problem!

andreallybadeggs
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
If your family likes Nemo, that show is great but if you have to choose between them, would definitely go with Lion King-- it has become a classic since the park opened and everyone should see it at least once.
Welcome to Epcot!

KineGirl
04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
DHS
Muppetvison 3D
Rock N Roller coaster
Tower of Terror
Little Mermaid (show)
Lights! Motor! Action! (show VERY cool)
Star Tours (tho this can be missed if no one is a fan)
Backlot Tour

AK
Finding Nemo (for me would pick over Lion King if had to)
Lion King
EE
Dinosaur
Kali River Rapids
Kilimanjaro Safari (A Must!!!!!)
Tough to be a Bug
also if you have time to do the walking trails - do them! You see tigers right up close -even a white one!

SpecJoe Magic
04-16-2008, 07:55 PM
DHS:
Tower of Terror
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
Great Movie Ride
either Indiana Jones stunt show or Lights, Motors, Action stunt show
Muppetvision 3D

AK:
Kilamanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur
either Festival of the Lion King or Finding Nemo musical (I prefer Lion King)

I think you should have time to do all of those listed above if you get an early start on the day, and you might have time to do a few more.

brownie
04-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I'd actually start the day at Animal Kingdom and finish at Disney Hollywood Studios. The animals will be more active first thing in the morning, and you'd be able to catch Fantasmic! at Disney Studios that night.

Animal Kingdom
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Kali River Rapids
It's Tough to be a Bug
Dinosaur

Disney Hollywood Studios
Rock'n Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Muppetvision 3D
Star Tours
Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Fantasmic!

Goofy1138
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I'd actually start the day at Animal Kingdom and finish at Disney Hollywood Studios. The animals will be more active first thing in the morning, and you'd be able to catch Fantasmic! at Disney Studios that night.

Animal Kingdom
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Kali River Rapids
It's Tough to be a Bug
Dinosaur

Disney Hollywood Studios
Rock'n Roller Coaster
Tower of Terror
Muppetvision 3D
Star Tours
Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Fantasmic!

The schedule we have right now is:
8:45 am--- Arrive @ Hollywood Studios.
9:00 am---Head straight to the Sorcerer's Hat for character greet & meet. (also, I have a 14 month old son)
After the character meet at the Hat, head over to Streets of America for Monster's Inc character meet. Depending on time, either ride Star Tours or Muppets 3-D.
10:45 am--- Beauty & the Beast show.
11:30 am--- Indy Stunt Show (possibly this time)
After that, walk around ride another ride, character meet, ect..
By 3:00 pm --- arrive to Animal Kingdom. Head over to the Bug's Life show.
4:00 pm--- Watch the Jungle Parade.
After parade, no select times. Head over to Asia,do the Jungle Trek, then ride Expedition Everest, after that, head south to Dinoland and ride Dinosaur. Then watch either the 6:00pm or 7:00 pm Lion King show. After that, head back over to Hollywood Studios for the remainder of the day, including Fantasmic! I have never seen that and am looking forward to it!

How does this sound to everybody?

KineGirl
04-16-2008, 08:37 PM
The schedule we have right now is:
8:45 am--- Arrive @ Hollywood Studios.
9:00 am---Head straight to the Sorcerer's Hat for character greet & meet. (also, I have a 14 month old son)
After the character meet at the Hat, head over to Streets of America for Monster's Inc character meet. Depending on time, either ride Star Tours or Muppets 3-D.
10:45 am--- Beauty & the Beast show.
11:30 am--- Indy Stunt Show (possibly this time)
After that, walk around ride another ride, character meet, ect..
By 3:00 pm --- arrive to Animal Kingdom. Head over to the Bug's Life show.
4:00 pm--- Watch the Jungle Parade.
After parade, no select times. Head over to Asia,do the Jungle Trek, then ride Expedition Everest, after that, head south to Dinoland and ride Dinosaur. Then watch either the 6:00pm or 7:00 pm Lion King show. After that, head back over to Hollywood Studios for the remainder of the day, including Fantasmic! I have never seen that and am looking forward to it!

How does this sound to everybody?

LOL Ambitious! I would recommend too that you reverse that and do AK first rather than all that running back and forth. It looks good on paper but you know how things go... never according to plan...

However it goes Im sure you will have a great time! And isnt that what its all about? :thumbsup:

Goofy1138
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Is the main census saying I should start the day off at AK? Is the Jungle parade even worthwile? If we started the day off at AK, what would the first thing we do be? Would it be the Safari trip in Africa? Then to Asia, Dinoland, and Bugs Life, then just flip a coin for either Lion King or Nemo show. Hows that sound?

Also-- I REALLY appreciate everyone's help and comments. A big Disney thanks to you all.:mickey::number1:

KineGirl
04-16-2008, 09:00 PM
yes yes yes!! LOL

Dont get me wrong the Jungle Parade is cool but if I had to pick a parade Id rather see the new Block Party Bash parade at DHS(I think its at 3pm) - way more fun and interactive!
When we head to AK we usually immediately get our fast passes for Everest as this ride is super super popular. Then we always fast pass the Safari, Kali River & Dinosaur. You can usually fit shows in between. The rule is get the next fast pass as SOON as its available. If you go first thing in the morning you should be able to do about everything and get to DHS around the parade time if not a little later. And just in case you didnt know there is usually a character meet around 5 pm at the Sorcerors Hat.

again, do what feels right for you guys. You can hardly make a mistake!

:mickey:

Goofy1138
04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I didnt even know that DHS had a parade! Thanks for the tip about the 5:oo Hat meet & greet. Say we get to AK right when the gates open, and we do EE, Dinosaur, Bugs Lifes, and possibly the Safari, all with FP; do yo think we could get out of there by 1:oo-1:30? If so, we might go that route.

KineGirl
04-16-2008, 09:13 PM
no prob :thumbsup:

You could... but dont be surprised if its more like 2 -3 depending on crowds. I would NOT miss the Safari though for nothing! Its not some cheesy ride - its as close to the real deal without going to Africa itself and is always the highlight of our AK visit. It would be my second fast pass. I only say get EE first because those tend to fly out so quick and if you wait you could end up with a ride time at 3 in the afternoon.

Goofy1138
04-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Sounds good. I'm really excited bout this trip! Sat. will be kinda hectic, but Sun & Mon will be easier, since we're only doing 1 park a day.
Thanks to everyone who gave me info, highly appreciative! I have a few more questions about AK, but they are mostly photography questions.

Thanks again all..

Mickey91
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
AK - Festival of the Lion King
Kali River Rapids
Kilaminjaro Safari
Expedition Everist

HS - Ask if Four for a Dollar will be performing at Beauty and the Beast, if so, arrive at least 20 min early.
The Great Movie Ride

coachgoofy
04-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I would agree that you should start your day at AK, it is the largest of the parks, but has smaller walking areas that get you from one place to another, it starts getting harder to move aroud by noon. We have never been in May, but if you are going before Memorial Day you should be fine with crowds. Something to consider during your trip, we have found that by scheduling Charater meals, you save a lot of time waiting in line. You can spend the whole day waiting in lines for charaters, and that may be fine if you only child is the 14 month old, however he/she may not understand what they are waiting in line for. Be sure to used Fast pass and to ask for child swap tickets. if you have never been to AK this is what I would make sure to see

EE, most unique roller coaster i have ever seen

Dinasour, i would child swap this, a little scary for the 14th old, if they will let him/her on.

Nemo show is great, we have not seen the Lion King so i can not compare.

the Safari ride

there is a dinasour ride simular to the Dumbo ride at MK, this will be great for the 14 month old, however i am not impressed with Primal whrill, the way it is laid out, looks like a county fair style ride, IMO does not fit in Diseny.

for the little one, tough to be a bug is good

beyond the safari ride, i would save the animals for the zoo, IMO not much differnt than a good zoo if you city has one, and it looks like you only have three days

I know you have not asked for this, but IMO Epcot will have less for your little one to do that AK or DS, I believe you may be better off spliting, AK and EP and spending a day at DS.

while at DS

Fantasmic is a must if you have never seen it, some tell me that the second show is the least crowed, if there is two shows. however, we have never had a problem with the 1st show.

RR
TOT are both must dos

Great Movie Ride

Muppets 3-D, do not forget that Toy Story characters are just down from where the Muppet show is, I know, I know, but the TS charaters are not offered in a character meal.

Indy Jones
Star Tours

there is a new TS theamed ride at DS and should be good for the little one.

little mermaid

JMO thats for listening.

dixielandings
04-17-2008, 01:10 AM
You mentioned one toddler - do you have any other kids? That makes a difference in how you do rider switch, etc. I think Epcot is a great place to spend a whole day w/ a baby b/c the baby is kinda just along for the ride (please don't flame me :mickey:) and E's a great Park for grown-ups!

I agree totally w/ starting at AK, FPing EE first, then going straight to Kilimanjaro Safari. OR go FP KS, and do the single rider line at EE - DH and I rode it Monday and both got on the same ride from single rider in about 5 minutes!

I would also advise you to watch your time carefully when it comes to characters. DH had a good idea - go to the Character meet and greet area in Epcot, where many of the characters are there together, and do it all at once. Or better yet, make reservations for a great character meal, where they come to you!

Lion King vs. Nemo - tough call! I'm partial to LK but Nemo is awesome. Best wishes for a great trip. And speaking of that, be SURE to catch Wishes! at MK!

Goofy1138
04-17-2008, 11:42 AM
We only have our one son, Logan. We took him to MK this past Nov. The only character we saw then was the holiday Donald, my son loved it! He was hitting Donald on his bill. It was great, thats why I want to get him around to as many characters as I can. We're getting an autograph book where we can put pics of Logan next to the autographs. We got reservations for the Crystal Palace Sun @ MK. Plus, getting to both HS, MK, & Epcot early, I was hoping to take advantage of seeing characters with minimal lines. The dates we will be there are May 17-20. I, personally, love Epcot, and my wife has never been, thats why it gets a whole day to its self.
I think we will still go to HS first, do all we want to, and if there is time, head over to AK and at least ride EE & maybe Dinosaur. And still finish up the day at HS to watch Fantasmic.

What kind of 'rare' characters meet at the Sorcerer's Hat normally? I heard some ppl say tehy see Jafar up there. When was the last time anyone saw either Kronk or Kuzco at HS?

katzctkpt
04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
3 days hopping. Oh, boy. You're gonna be running.:crazy: Hopefully the parks won't be extremely busy. On the day you leave have you thought about visiting a park for 1/2 a day? We do every year we leave. IMO I would almost do AK a whole day then hop over to DS around 5/6 do a couple things if possible and catch the Fantasmic show. Then finish it up the next morning and hop on over to Epcot.

AK must do's: EE; KRR; Safari; Tough to be a bug (show) Dinosaur; Lion King; Nemo is good but, we LK better.

DS: TOT; RRC; Indiana Jones; Star Tours; Stunt Show; Great Movie Ride; Beauty & Beast;
Little Mermaid, Fantasmic

Epcot: MS; Soarin'; TT; Nemo ride; Turtle Talk;

However, you choose sounds like you'll have a lot of fun. Just remember to drink a lot of fluids.

Taja
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I didnt even know that DHS had a parade! Thanks for the tip about the 5:oo Hat meet & greet. Say we get to AK right when the gates open, and we do EE, Dinosaur, Bugs Lifes, and possibly the Safari, all with FP; do yo think we could get out of there by 1:oo-1:30? If so, we might go that route.

Personally, I would switch Festival of the Lion King performance for A Bugs Life. The live performance outshines the 3D one by a huge margin. IMHO! :)

I'm thinking you might want to grab EE fastpasses, then do the Safari while you're waiting for your return time. The animals become less active as the day gets warmer. And who can blame them? If I had the opportunity to stretch out under a shady tree or in the broiling sun with humidity, I would too! *LOL*

Others will know better, though. My time at AK has been limited due to injuries and allergies. But one day! *sigh*

#1donaldfan
04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
3 days hopping. Oh, boy. You're gonna be running.:crazy: Hopefully the parks won't be extremely busy. On the day you leave have you thought about visiting a park for 1/2 a day? We do every year we leave. IMO I would almost do AK a whole day then hop over to DS around 5/6 do a couple things if possible and catch the Fantasmic show. Then finish it up the next morning and hop on over to Epcot.

AK must do's: EE; KRR; Safari; Tough to be a bug (show) Dinosaur; Lion King; Nemo is good but, we LK better.

DS: TOT; RRC; Indiana Jones; Star Tours; Stunt Show; Great Movie Ride; Beauty & Beast;
Little Mermaid, Fantasmic

Epcot: MS; Soarin'; TT; Nemo ride; Turtle Talk;

However, you choose sounds like you'll have a lot of fun. Just remember to drink a lot of fluids.

I'm going to have to agree with katzctkpt on this one.....not much time for AK and MGM on the same day....
...maybe start at AK first thing in AM...get some ressies at Donald's Safari Breakast, which gets you in the park prior to it actually opening..then after eating hit the safari, EE, KRR, Dinosaur, It's tough to be a bug, maybe see Festival of Lion King.....head over to MGM, ride and see everything you possibly can fit in and finish it off with the best night show EVER, Fantasmic........????? :mickey: