PDA

View Full Version : Marrakesh vs. San Angel Inn

stitch34
04-16-2008, 05:42 PM
Looking to eat a dinner at one of these two places but not sure which one. Which would you choose???:mickey:

Strmchsr
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Look at the menus in Info Central and see which one fits your appetite better. Both have great atmosphere. I would give the nod on atmosphere slightly to San Angel, but the food slightly to Marrakesh. You can't go wrong either way. I suppose since Mexican is a more common cuisine in the USA (though San Angel is the real deal and not the Americanized version) I would say go for Marrakesh.

dumbo_buddy
04-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Marrakesh!!! i definitely think it is better. San Angel Inn is pretty cool but the food is kinda :ack:

marrakesh is really different.

JMHO!

wendy*darling
04-16-2008, 06:15 PM
We like both of these restaurants and visit them often! :thumbsup:

Both have a terrific "immersion" feeling to them. Both can have live music. San Angel often has the mariachi band right outside the gate. Marrakesh has live musicians and a belly dancer throughout the day and evening.

We enjoy the food at both. I also would give the edge to Marrakesh though. The food is yummy, not spicy hot, but spiced with different flavors than Americans use. I grew up with many of these flavors, and make many of the dishes for family (I'm part Armenian)- so they taste sooo good to me!

I guess, if you could only choose one- pick Marrakesh this time.

Dulcee
04-16-2008, 07:17 PM
My family loves both. San Angel Inn has a fantastic atmosphere and is lovely for a quiet couple night, especially if you can get a seat up by the water. The food there isn't my favorite anymore. I use to adore that resturant but over the past ten years I feel like the menu has gone downhill. However, the food is still very good and the Sopa Azteca is fantastic. If you have small kids the tables are very close together and there isn't much room for them to move around when they get fidgety.

We first tried Marakarash a few years ago and it became a fast favorite. The food has always been very good, but I would check out the menu first if you have any picky eaters as it can be slightly less "americanized" then Mexico's. If you are lucky enough to be dining during the live music or the dancers the entertainment is fantastic. I have awesome pictures of my very small nephew dancing with a very pretty bellydancer from a few summers ago. I would also highly suggest dessert, the bastilla is fantastic.

Bottom line, both are great, you really can't go wrong with either :thumbsup:

Jeff
04-16-2008, 08:25 PM
We like them both. However, if forced to choose my family would go with Marrakesh. Love the food, I could do without the belly dancer though. :blush:

Duchess99
04-16-2008, 09:09 PM
It really depends on which cuisine you would enjoy more more.
I would go with San Angel Inn. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy SAI. The food is good, the atmosphere is fantastic and the drinks are great :marg:!
I've been to Marrakesh and I was not impressed...the food was bland and the "entertainment" was a bit obnoxious.

SBETigg
04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I like both places. We visit San Angel Inn for lunch every trip because it has long been the favorite for my children, now teens. We went to Marrakesh and loved it but haven't been back because the kids swear they don't like it(though they did when we went).

My thought is that San Angel has great atmosphere but mixed reviews on food and service. Marrakesh is not as special in atmosphere, but nice with the live entertainment, and generally good reviews in food and service. Authenticity? Not sure in either. I've been to better Mexican and better Middle Eastern places. It all comes down to you, what your group wants and feels like eating.

#1donaldfan
04-17-2008, 12:19 PM
The atmosphere at San Angel is awesome, but even that can't make the food taste good !!! It was the worst food I've EVER eaten, or started to eat.......:mickey:

Crow
04-17-2008, 10:18 PM
San Angel for theme
Marrakesh for belly dancing entertainment:number1: food is better there also

Tigerinvestigator
04-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Can't go wrong with either one. We love the food, atmosphere, and theming at both!:thumbsup: That being said, the food is very different at both, so check the menu before making a decision. If it is a romantic dinner for two, go with the San Angel Inn and request a table on the river!

threeh
04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Marrekesh!!!:thumbsup:
I didn't care for San Angel Inn last trip. Try San Angel Cantina for a mexican food fix. We;ve eaten at Marekesh a few times and it has always been good, the atmosphere is enjoyable and the belly dancer is fun.
The wine at Marekesh is also good, a fellow intercotee told me about it, very very good!!!

Magic Smiles
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
It really depends on which cuisine you would enjoy more more.
I would go with San Angel Inn. I know I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy SAI. The food is good, the atmosphere is fantastic and the drinks are great :marg:!
I've been to Marrakesh and I was not impressed...the food was bland and the "entertainment" was a bit obnoxious.
As we have not yet tried SAI, but will be for our 20th Anniversary in May, I can't comment on SAI. However we did eat at Marrakesh in Dec and we would not go back. Not that the food wasn't good, it was OK, but nothing special. The entertainment I found actually disappointing after hearing so much about it and I guess we just have no desire to go back there.