PDA

View Full Version : Epcot - Candlelight Processional

benny
04-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I have received such fantastic advice from so many about whether or not MVMCP is worth it or not, I thought I would ask about the Candlelight Processional at Epcot. I don't really know much about it and what to expect.

If any of you have done it - could you please let me know your thoughts, suggestions and any tips.

Also have any of you done the Candlelight Processional/Dinner package? If yes, did you think it was worth it?

Thanks so much for helping with the planning of my trip. I'm trying to do this from New Zealand and TA's here don't know much about Orlando/Florida/WDW. Most people from this side of the world tend to go to Disneyland/California.

Jenny

Golf Grumpy
04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
It is totally worth the $$ The performers are great as well as the narrators. You need to do it.

Bringonthemouse!
04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
It's absolutely fabulous!!! A definate MUST!!! It is incredibly popular so I would strongly suggest doing the dinner package.
Enjoy!!
Also, take some time and check out "Holidays around the World" while you are at EPCOT.
:mickey:

Mickey91
04-14-2008, 10:14 PM
We loved the Candlelight Processional!! We did the dinner package. You really need to eat close to the American Pavilion though. We ate at Coral Reef. Great food but about as far away as we could get. This put us near the back of the line and we got pretty cruddy seats. So, eat near the American Pavilion, and head straight to the line as soon as your dinner is over. Do not linger. Put your tag that they give in the restaurant on, and stand in line. The line is usually on the France side of the American Pavilion. By all means ask a CM to make sure you're in the right line. We went when Rita Moreno was the narrator. I cried as she read the last part of the story. She put so much of herself into it that it was one of the most powerful readings of the Christmas story I have ever heard!

Aggie97
04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
We did the Candlelight Processional in 2006 and 2007 and really enjoyed it both times. The music is wonderful and moving, and the narrators were great too. It's really just a fabulous, "Christmassy" experience.

We did do the dinner package both times, eating very early dinners at Le Cellier. We felt it was worth it -- the dinners were excellent, and we were guaranteed seats into the show.

I'd just be sure to allow plenty of time between your dinner reservation and the beginning of the show so that you don't feel rushed while you are eating.

Also, start keeping an eye on the dinner package line for the show about 60-75 minutes before the start time, just so that you can get a good seat. We visited the American pavilion during this time so that we could hop right into the line when it started to get longer.

Have a wonderful time!! :mickey:

benny
04-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Once again, you guys are so helpful! Thanks so much.

It certainly seems like it is a must and it sounds like a good idea to do the dinner package.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether to do the lunch or dinner package/i.e. what show to aim for (I see from reading info central that there are 3 candlelight processionals a day - is that right?) and any suggestions of restaurants?

Jenny

McGoofy
04-15-2008, 12:41 AM
I went to the candlelight processional this past December. It was well worth attending. We did not do a dinner package, so we had to wait in the stand-by line but did not have trouble getting a seat. There are 3 shows each evening. I don't remember the number of how many people are in the mass choir, but it is huge. The choir is made up of guest high school choirs, cast members, and The Voices of Liberty. There is also an orchestra. The choir sings traditional Christmas carols and in between songs there is narration of the Christmas story. It is a beautiful concert. I would strongly recommend attending.

Maleficent's Dad
04-15-2008, 06:01 AM
The Candlelight Processional is really something to behold! It is an amazing, powerful experience. If/when we return in December, we would skip the MVMCP, but never miss the CP. It is great.

I would absolutely and totally recommend doing the dinner package. We were there during a slow time, and the "stand by line" was insane. Hundreds (if not thousands) lined up with absolutely no shot of getting in.

From what I recall, there are three "tiers" to the dinner package. So it depends on how much you're willing to spend - but it's all worth it. Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/holidays/christmas/cp.asp) for the information about dining.

We saw Andie McDowell this past December. She, the music, and choir were just spectacular. I cannot say enough about this event!!!

mudpuppysmom
04-15-2008, 09:39 AM
We went in Dec 06 and we did the dinner package so as to get a seat.....it does get really crowded!! We lined up about an hour before hand and STILL were about 1/4 of the way back from the stage, so the lines do get long even if you do the dinner pkg.

We had dinner at San Angel and I didn't feel it was worth it. DS did not eat much either, so that didn't help matters much! He was not even in awe of the volcano and we sat waterside!

I would do the dinner pkg again, but I think this time we'd do Biergarten!! Plus you'd get two shows in for the price of one if you went there! The food and entertainment at Biergarten is very good, so that is what I would recommend.

As for timing, I liked that we were at the CP in the dark --for some reason I think it added something to the show. I don't know if it would have the same impact if it were during daylight hours, but just my opinion there.

You are going to really enjoy the show!

Piglet822
04-15-2008, 12:36 PM
We did this for the first time last year. Gary Sinise was the speaker and he was awesome - I had heard a lot of good things about him when he read and every bit of it was true.
We did do the dining package, we ate at Nine Dragons. The food was very good and IMO the package is worth every penny.

Aggie97
04-15-2008, 02:29 PM
I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether to do the lunch or dinner package/i.e. what show to aim for (I see from reading info central that there are 3 candlelight processionals a day - is that right?) and any suggestions of restaurants?

We did the 6:45 show with a 3:30 dinner at Le Cellier. (They normally don't start serving dinner until 4 or 4:30, I think.) Dinner was excellent, and eating that early gave us ample time before the show. We liked doing the 6:45 show, as it was after dark outside, but still gave us some time to walk around World Showcase before Illuminations at 9:30. Also, by doing dinner rather than lunch, we were able to spend the first half of the day in Future World. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-15-2008, 02:40 PM
we are going to be there the week after Christmas thru New Years...What do you think our chances are of seeing it without the dinner package?

wedway76
04-15-2008, 05:18 PM
The wife and I LOVED it. DS was 9 and 10 the two years we went and he was bored to tears (almost).

Jeff
04-15-2008, 06:26 PM
we are going to be there the week after Christams thru New Years...What do you think our chances are of seeing it without the dinner package?

You can still see it. You will have to wait a long time in the standby line and even then will be way in the back if not standing. By a long time I mean an hour and 1/2 for the first show, 2 hours might be safer.

McGoofy
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
we are going to be there the week after Christmas thru New Years...What do you think our chances are of seeing it without the dinner package?

You can still see it. You will have to wait a long time in the standby line and even then will be way in the back if not standing. By a long time I mean an hour and 1/2 for the first show, 2 hours might be safer.

I guess the time of year that you go is what makes the difference. We were there about a week before Christmas. (It was when Kirk Cameron was the narrator this past December.) We did not do a dinner package. (We had considered it, but they were all sold out.) So we went to the tree lighting ceremony/show that was at 6:00pm, and then from there we walked to the American Pavillion to catch the second showing of the Candlelight Processional. I think the show was at 6:45pm, so we didn't wait in the standby line too long, and we got a seat. Many people in the standby line were allowed in the seating area. Even when all the seating area filled up, they let people sit along the brick walls that outline the seating areas. I can imagine though that the week between Christmas and New Years you might not be as lucky as we were.

LoriMistress
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
DH and I really enjoyed CP last year. We saw Kirk Cameron. We booked the DP for it. We ate at Marrakesh, which is one of our favorite restaurants. Though, the only complaint we had was the weather was freezing! (30 degrees with 30 degree winds). Of course, Disney has no control over weather...or do they? LOL

Polynesian Dweller
04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
The show is very good and a definite do. Its great regardless who the celebrity reader is but that can make a minor difference. One performer we saw didn't really put much emotion into their reading and it was a bit flat. But even at that, the show was great. With a performer who puts on a strong performance its even better.

fairies*n*fireflies
04-17-2008, 12:17 AM
So is this a seperate ticket price to see the Candlelight Processional???? I would love to be able to attend.

Ian
04-17-2008, 09:47 AM
CP is our absolute favorite Christmas thing to do in WDW!

The entire thing is just so "Christmasy" ... if you leave the show not completely and totally in the Christmas spirit there's something wrong with you.

I definitely recommend doing the dinner package, though, because unless you're willing to committ to like 2 hours waiting in the standby line you probably won't get in.

We did it last time with reservations at Teppanyaki and it was perfect timing. Try to make sure to check the readers ahead of time, too, because we saw Haley Joel Osment the first time and Chita Rivera last year and I definitely think the reader would make a big difference.

I'd love to see Gary Sinese, but he always does that week between Christmas and New Year's and I can't stomach the crowds during that week.

Jeff
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I'd love to see Gary Sinese, but he always does that week between Christmas and New Year's and I can't stomach the crowds during that week.

I've seen Gary Sinese three times. He does a great job. We saw Geordi La Forge ;)once too - he was also very good. Uncle Joey (John Stamos) although very cute, according to my wife and daughter, was not so good!

We usually go during the week between Christmas and New Years, and several times on Christmas Day itself. During that week one definitely wants the dinner package. Even with that, get there about an hour before hand to get a good seat.

benny
04-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Oh wow - this sounds like such an amazing experience and so popular. We will certainly do the dinner package. I will have a look at the different restuarants and go from there.

Thanks again everyone for your kind advice

Jenny

GrmGrninGost
04-17-2008, 06:22 PM
The Candlelight Processional is wonderful! We went in 2006 and heard Rita Moreno do the reading. She was absolutely wonderful! I would recommend a dinner package. Try to get something near the American Pavillion. We ate at the other end of the park and by the time we got there we were well back in line. Our seats were not the best, but it was still good! Make sure you get in the right line also! When we went, they had two lines, one for dinner package guests and one for standby. After all the dinner package people were seated, they let in enough of the other line to fill up all the seats. Have a great time!

Donald_Quackers
04-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I saw it using the package for the first time last year. The main draw was Phylicia Rashad was supposed to be narrator. We ate at the Biergarten.

She apparently had to cancel, because Monique Coleman was there instead. I liked her narration, but I would have loved to have seen Phylicia in person. She narrates on the cd that you can buy.

I say do it if you can!

Jeff
04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
One more thing.......

This last year we were there on Christmas Day. About 5 or 10 minutes into the show the family next to us got up and left in a huff after the mother announced very loudly, "I didn't know this was going to be all God stuff". I don't know what they were expecting from "a telling of the traditional Christmas story"? Perhaps they were thinking musical selections from various Rankin/Bass productions!!!!!!

The show is definately "God stuff".

EditReject
04-17-2008, 09:30 PM
I definitely recommend the CP and dinner package. I was there the week after Thanksgiving (a great time to go WDW by the way) and Neil Patrick Harris was the celebrity guest. He was very good. We had reservations at The Rose & Crown (which was not too far away). The only thing is that young children may get restless during the show. My 6 yr old neice enjoyed it but my 3 yr old nephew would have rather been doing something else.

fairies*n*fireflies
04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
One more thing.......

This last year we were there on Christmas Day. About 5 or 10 minutes into the show the family next to us got up and left in a huff after the mother announced very loudly, "I didn't know this was going to be all God stuff". I don't know what they were expecting from "a telling of the traditional Christmas story"? Perhaps they were thinking musical selections from various Rankin/Bass productions!!!!!!

The show is definately "God stuff".

Like HELLO... what do you think the season is for lady???? I am happy to see that they are putting the "God Stuff" in the Kingdom somewhere at least during the Christmas Season, lest we forget what it is really all about.

garymacd
04-19-2008, 12:57 PM
We have seen Candlelight Processional twice and loved it both times. The first time we walked up and sat down. We were near the back but in the middle, since we had a wheelchair at the time for my beloved wife.
The second time, we ate at Marrakesh and sat near the front. We were able to see the expressions on the performers' faces and the ASL signer, since Marlee Matlin was the guest narrator for the evening.

Both times I would consider we had great seats, but to tell the truth, I actually preferred the seats to the middle or the rear. We were able to get a better panoramic view of all the performers. Not just those in the center of the stage, but also the herald trumpeters and crash cymbal players in the wings.

Whether you wish to just walk up and sit down or have a dining package is up to you. We enjoyed both. We were also guaranteed seats with the dining package. It is a very popular show, so plan accordingly.

daparish
04-19-2008, 04:18 PM
We saw the CP for the first time in 06. We did book the package and ate at Nine Dragons. It was for the first showing. I can't remember the time for our reservation but it was the earliest that Disney dining would allow. We stopped at Nine Dragons for lunch which was a few hours earlier then our reservation and they let us eat early. We went back to BC where we were staying and took a nap. We ended up getting to the show with about 15 minutes to spare and had no problems getting a seat. I would highly reccommend the show. Our next trip will be Dec of this year and this is a must do on our list.

benny
04-20-2008, 11:20 PM
We saw the CP for the first time in 06. We did book the package and ate at Nine Dragons. It was for the first showing. I can't remember the time for our reservation but it was the earliest that Disney dining would allow. We stopped at Nine Dragons for lunch which was a few hours earlier then our reservation and they let us eat early. We went back to BC where we were staying and took a nap. We ended up getting to the show with about 15 minutes to spare and had no problems getting a seat. I would highly reccommend the show. Our next trip will be Dec of this year and this is a must do on our list.

Cool - it sounds like it won't be rush rush rush which will suit us just great. I will book reservations for our dinner early and then I guess if there is more than one show (CP) we will be able to get into one of them.

Thanks everyone.

Jenny

Marilyn Michetti
04-21-2008, 01:23 AM
We get in line early for standby and are seated simultaneously with the dinner line. They save enough seats for those with packages, so yes, they're guaranteed a seat. However, we get terrific seats just by being in line standby.

Our first CP was just three months after 9-11, and Physicia Rashaad was the narrator. It was awesome. At the end, she asked everyone to stand and sing, Let There Be Peace On Earth.:thumbsup: