PDA

View Full Version : Bathing suits for little kids?

DisneyDog
04-14-2008, 01:31 PM
We will be leaving for WDW in 2 weeks. My DS is 5 years old. I was wondering if I should bring along a bathing suit for him to run through the fountains and misters? What do most folks do? Bring a suit? Or do they just let their kids' clothes get wet and let them dry off in the heat?

KylesMom
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
When DS was that age, we'd have a spare pair of swim trunks & undies as well as a pair of deck shoes in our bag so that we could make a "quick change" & he could play in the children's fountain play areas. As chafing could be a problem, you may not want your DS air drying if he's soaked - which is a good possibility.

As far as the misters are concerned, usually you don't get wet enough to need to change clothes. :mickey:

Ian
04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Well our daughter is a little too old to be running through the fountains anymore, but we plan on letting DS wear a bathing suit under his clothes when we go next month.

That way if he wants to run through fountains, we can strip him down to his suit, let him play, and then change him back into his dry clothes when he's done.

I'd be reluctant to let him air dry, because he could be pretty uncomfortable in the short term while he's still soaking wet.

Mickey91
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
We pretty much let ours get wet and dry off in the heat. Not much different from riding a water ride.:mickey:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I agree we always let the kids air dry. With the new fast dry clothing available now and the summer Florida heat they will be dry pretty quick. Of course if they play right before dinner a change of clothes would be nice as the TS meals can be chilly when you are wet.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-14-2008, 03:57 PM
I am the mean Mommy that never let my kids play in the fountains.:blush:

But, I have seen kids in their regular clothes and in swim trunks.

If I was nice and let my kids go in them when they were younger, I probably would have opted for bringing a suit.

The only reason I never let them is because we always went in September, which is extremely hot so the fountains were always packed with kids. However, my accident prone children would be the ones that would slip and fall or bump into someone else and end up hurt. So, we have always skipped them.;)

Jasper
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
We are also the mean parents who didn't let the kids play in the fountains. We just didn't want to deal with wet kids. And frankly we have always been so busy while we are at the parks that we have never really had the time to stop and play in the fountains. We have always tried to plan alternating attractions that are not air conditioned with the ones that are.

DisneyDog
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Personally, I would prefer that he not run in the fountains, but if it's very hot I would rather him bit a bit damp and cooler, than moody about being hot and -- and disappointed about not playing in the water. In other words, if it will make or break the trip, he's welcome to play to cool off.

I'm still on the fence about whether I'll bring the suit or not...mostly because I don't feel like carrying anything other than the controversial :D fanny pack.

KineGirl
04-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm still on the fence about whether I'll bring the suit or not...mostly because I don't feel like carrying anything other than the controversial :D fanny pack.

LOL Oh no!! Not the FANNY PACK!! hehe I say let them play! When my DD was smaller we would just make sure she had clothes that dried quickly now that shes 17 and still wants to run thru the fountains (what can I say - shes a water baby thru & thru), all I ask is that she not wear white.

crazypoohbear
04-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I say bring the suit, let him run wild, cool off, change him and hopefully he'll sleep well on the bus ride home!
Remember to bring powder to prevent chafing. NOT a good thing on vacation.

thrillme
04-15-2008, 02:03 AM
When my DS was younger (and even still today) he often wears a pair of swim trunks to the park. Many of them are as comfortable as a pair of shorts. If not those then a pair of quick drying shorts made out of the same basic material without the lining. Boys have it quite EASY in this department.

I always pack a tiny little bottle of baby powder to help with any chafing. In general it isn't the getting wet that causes the chafing it's the heat overall. The getting wet part just cools things down. Believe me...they dry quickly.

krorx
04-15-2008, 09:06 AM
I think wearing a pair of swim trunks (which often look like regular shorts anyway) would be the ideal thing to do. Then he can splash and play to his heart's content. It seems to me that swim trunk material dries much faster than regular clothing. :cool:

buzznwoodysmom
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
When we went in May a few years ago, both my boys and my newphews wore swim trunks to the parks everyday. I shopped around and bought them a bunch of solid colored swim trunks so that they looked more like shorts than swim trunks. They were very comfortable and were able to get wet and dry off very quickly. The only thing I brought was an extra t-shirt for them incase their first shirt got too wet for dinner. It gets really hot, let the kids play in the water!!!

DisneyDog
04-15-2008, 10:46 AM
having him wear a bathing suit instead of shorts is an interesting idea. He has crocs, so I wouldn't have to worry about his shoes/socks getting wet. I will hit the Target this week and get a few extra bathing suits! (He's getting too big for his ones from last year anyway!)

One more question...I remember the fountains/sprayers/misters at Epcot, but I can't picture them at any of the other parks. Are they located at MK, DHS and AK too?

Ian
04-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't know about DHS or AK, but Donald's Boat in Toontown has a water play area. DD loved playing there when she was little.

DisneyDog
04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Ian, isn't your DD just a few months older than my son? He's 5 1/2. I still consider him to be little:blush:

KiNg4aDaY
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I would say at least pack a change of clothes in a backpack. I know that whenever I go to the parks I have my backpack with a change of clothes for me (IM 30 years old). I have gotten caught in the sudden rain too many times, and so I always pack an extra t-shirt and shorts...and an extra pair of shoes...in addition to an umbrella or rain poncho. Then you also have a backpack to put purchases from the stores in :). When I go on a ride I put the backpack in the storage provided for them or I put it on the floor and intertwine my legs in the backpack straps.

elmjimmlm
04-15-2008, 10:58 PM
My DD is 6 and usually she would wear a bathing suit with a pair of shorts and a tank top...If she would run thru the fountains, she would dry quick...My DSs dont care to be wet for a period of time, so they would usually wear swim trunks as shorts or basketball shorts that are quick dry...:mickey:

dizniegyrl
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Are there water play areas in each of the parks? If so, where? My son loooves to run around and get soaked to escape the heat!

dizknee531
04-26-2008, 11:47 PM
We bring a change of clothes anyway, in case we are there extra long and they need to be refreshed. A suit wouldn't be a bad idea too!! Then you wouldn't have to carry water soaked clothes around for the rest of the day!!:laundry2:

5togetherWDW
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Since it has been two weeks --I'm guessing the original poster is already enjoying WDW. :mickey:
Have Fun!
We just returned on Saturday from a wonderfully warm and sunny week. While we did not bring swim suits, we did wear "quick dry" fabric and brought spare clothes. My children do not like being wet, or dirty. For us, a backpack with spare clothes is a must. I generally bring a spare T for myself, as well -- just in case. I find pieces that roll up small and pack them in gallon ziplocs. The baggies can then take our wetest pieces.
As to the other part of the question --

I remember the fountains/sprayers/misters at Epcot, but I can't picture them at any of the other parks. Are they located at MK, DHS and AK too? and

Are there water play areas in each of the parks? If so, where? My son loooves to run around and get soaked to escape the heat!
My sons do get the most soaked in the spray areas at Epcot, and Donald's leaky boat in MK - but there are chances throughout the parks. MK -- Adventureland has spraying Tikis outside the Jungle Cruise and spitting camels on the flying carpet ride. MK -- you can get soaked on Splash MT, or on the bridge watching it. Also - when they have it turned up, the misting spaceship in Tomorrowland can also thouroughly soak a child that is ready / trying to be dripping.
AK has a couple spots for the younger set to get soaked. My sons have gotten most wet in the water spray near Kali River Rapids, in Asia. It is right beside the restroom -- and is always surrounded by drenched little ones. In past trips, they have gotten wettest at the Dinoland playground. We did not go in that area this trip, but in the past -- there were caves at the back right of the playground. On hot days, water poured over the caves entries -- and my toddlers stood there getting soaked. The other place they have otten drenched there is in Africa. There used to be sprayers near the bridge, as well as what appeared to be fake showers for travellers near Tusker house. But, when you pulled the "shower" rope -- you found out it was not just decorative! :thedolls:
HS does not have as many spots that drench you. On the streets of America in HS, there are fire hydrants which they make spray on the hottest of days. My boys have gotten drenched there. At the end of that street is the Singing in the Rain umbrella -- which always has rain when activated. In Honey I shrunk the Kids playground, there is also a water section which is turned up on hot days. On our last trip, it barely had a mist -- but, this past week, you could easily be drenched there. They also had a spaceship (selling cokes) like the one in MK's Tomorrowland, but I did not see it there, last week.
There are probably others -- but those come to my head first, as the places where I was glad that I had spare clothes for my boys!

DisneyDog
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
We are actually leaving tomorrow! Yay! Thanks for thinking of me:mickey:

Taja
04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
There are play fountains at DTD, as well!

Be prepared!

And have a magical holiday!

momof3+twins
04-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. Taking the suit in the park is more trouble than needed. Kids usually don't mind getting wet.
Mine got soaked in the fountains at Epcot. They dried fairly quickly.
And wearing the suit under their clothes would be uncomfortable and hot.