PDA

View Full Version : Few Q's for upcoming new members

OhToodles!
04-14-2008, 11:54 AM
DH & I have pretty much decided that we are going to become DVC members and want AK, but have some questions (and I'm sure there will be more):

1. DH has heard about owner lockers - what are they? how big? how much? anything and everything about these would be great

2. We're going to WDW in October - Would it better to wait until then to purchase? The earliest we would go back is next Spring. I'm thinking after reading posts that they may offer us more points to use the first year if we purchase while we're down there.

3. Can you bank ‘leftover’ points or does it have to be a year’s worth? Can you borrow just a few points from the following year or does it have to be all points?

4. How easy are points to redeem at non-Disney resorts (in other states)? What about for adventures by Disney, Cruise Line, etc? How far in advance can you book these trips?

5. Anyone know what the average financing % is through Disney? I thought I read that someone said it was 10.75% and that seems really high. I would think getting a credit line through the bank would be less expensive.

I think that's all for now - thanks in advance!!

DVC Mike
04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
2. We're going to WDW in October - Would it better to wait until then to purchase? The earliest we would go back is next Spring. I'm thinking after reading posts that they may offer us more points to use the first year if we purchase while we're down there.

Point prices only go up.

3. Can you bank ‘leftover’ points or does it have to be a year’s worth? Can you borrow just a few points from the following year or does it have to be all points?

Vacation points may be banked from your current Use Year into your next Use Year.
Vacation points may be borrowed from your next Use Year into your current Use Year. Borrowing may only occur at the time of making a reservation. Only the number of points needed to make the reservation can be borrowed.

5. Anyone know what the average financing % is through Disney? I thought I read that someone said it was 10.75% and that seems really high. I would think getting a credit line through the bank would be less expensive.

It would be better to obtain a Home Equity Line of Credit on your home.

wendy*darling
04-14-2008, 04:21 PM
DH & I have pretty much decided that we are going to become DVC members and want AK, but have some questions (and I'm sure there will be more):

1. DH has heard about owner lockers - what are they? how big? how much? anything and everything about these would be great
This is a separate company- not affiliated with Disney in any way. You can Google for "owners locker" to get more info, but basically it is an outside service where you pay an annual fee to use their large storage boxes to hold items you don't want to carry back and forth for every trip to the Orlando area.

If you know you are going to buy- do it now. The prices may (probably will) go up for purchasing points. And then you can use your points for your October trip!

You can bank and borrow as many or as few number of points as you wish.

4. How easy are points to redeem at non-Disney resorts (in other states)? What about for adventures by Disney, Cruise Line, etc? How far in advance can you book these trips?
The answer is... it depends. Time of year, location, etc. When you use points outside the DVC resorts, you are using more points, so you really have to decide if it's a worthwhile use of your points. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not.
I have used points for Disneyland, and for a weekend in NYC. We enjoyed both trips, and hope to see Hawaii on points someday.
We are also interested in the Adventures by Disney, but will probably pay cash for that.