PDA

View Full Version : End-of-The-Year Gifts for Teachers

ncscgirl2005
04-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Do you buy or make end-of-the-year gifts for teachers? If so, what have you bought/made in the past or what will you be buying/making this year?

Last year we made a movie night basket for one teacher complete with a Blockbuster giftcard, popcorn, candy, and sodas. She really loved it because she and her husband watch movies often (we got the idea because we ran into them a few times in Blockbuster :secret:). For another teacher we made a Coca-Cola summer basket. This woman loves some Coke. Besides the cans of Coca-Cola, we put in some beach items as she and her daughter would be spending a week at the beach. We also wrote thank-you letters to each of the teachers and sent a copy to the principal.

So now it's time to start thinking about what to do this year. My time is really limited this year because I am still working and going to school, my husband is about to start clearing (we're PCSing soon) so we're in the process of decluttering our house for the movers (good luck with that), the kids are still playing softball, and I am selling Avon (I had no idea it would take up this much time). My brain is fried right now and I am drawing blanks on this.

That's where you come in. I need some help from my fellow Intercotees. I need some ideas please. It would be great to hear from some teachers about what you have received in the past. Please keep in mind that I have no creativity skills WHATSOEVER! LOL! I probably won't even have a home to live in by the end of the school year (June 3). LOL! The kids and I will stay here in a hotel (if we can rent our house out soon) until school ends while my husband moves to find us a place to live at our next duty station (he's leaving in a couple of weeks).

IloveDisney71
04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
As a teacher, I think that your movie and Coke basket ideas are perfect! The letter to the principal is also a wonderful idea. (I had a parent do this one year though and the principal didn't share it with me for months. You might want to share the letter with the teacher too and let her know that you gave one to the principal.)

Get your child to find out what types of things his/her teacher likes and make a small basket like the ones mentioned above. It's not the amount of the gift but the thought behind it. When you take time to find out what the teacher likes it lets them know that you care.

If the teacher is female, you usually can't go wrong with items like; candles, lotions, bath salts, foot creams. We like to pamper ourselves every once in a while. :thumbsup:

Some gifts I've recieved that were fun:
- a beach bag with a beach towel
- Books-A-Million gift card (for fun summer reading - my favorite hobby)
- a money tree to help pay for film developing (My parents knew I love to take pictures. This was actually a gift from the whole class.)

conorsmom2000
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
To be honest, I'm not thinking of end of year yet, as we're in Teacher Appreciation mode at the school right now - Friday is our big luncheon and our theme is "A Garden of Gratitude". But, we're also doing a few little things for them during the actual Teacher Appreciation Week (for PTA's, etc.) in May and one thing might be cute for Parents to do. It wouldn't be a whole gift, but it would be a cute addition. It's a candy bar poem where you substitute candy in place of certain words. If anyone is interested, I can either post it or email it to you! :mickey:

Disney Doll
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I think the best gift is just the thank you note. When I student taught the other teachers had every kid write a thank you note. They put them all together in a binder along with a small picture of each child. I still have that binder and it's fun to look back on my first class.

buzznwoodysmom
04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Last year I gave my boy's teachers plants. It is something they can enjoy forever (if they don't kill it). Both teachers were thrilled with the plants. Just try to be creative and stay away from typical "teacher" items. I am sure any teacher has received their fair share of teacher trinkets. Above all, remember that it's the thought that counts and I am sure your child's teachers will be happy with anything you give them, even if it is another teacher trinket or mug!!:D

gwfx1031
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
I always try and think what would I want to get. Your movie bucket idea is great and the poster indicating books gift certificates. I always think that teachers receive a lot of nick-nacks and may appreciate something they can use like Starbucks cards, I-tune gift certificates, movie tickets, dinner tickets, car wash coupons, etc. I know it may not seem as personal, but it is probably appreciated as much.

Kenny1113
04-14-2008, 04:33 PM
What a great thread!!! I have been racking my brain trying to think of something for my son's teacher. She's been so wonderful.The best that I could come up with was a personalized picture frame wiht a picture of the class, but hopefully I can get some better ideas because I'm sure she'll already do something like that.

SBETigg
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
In our school system, we're only allowed to give gifts of things that teachers can use in the classroom (cleaning supplies, books, gift cards to buy books or supplies). Any personal gifts are not allowed as it supposedly smacks of impropriety (as if you're using the gift to influence the teacher and grades? I don't know.) I liked the good old days when you could just do nice things for people out of appreciation. So glad to know it still works that way in some places!

My MIL was a teacher and she always got lots of mugs and ornaments. She liked to get plants. She didn't like homemade baked goods because she had dietary restrictions (though she appreciated the thought and effort). The movie gift basket sounds great.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
04-14-2008, 06:21 PM
In our school system, we're only allowed to give gifts of things that teachers can use in the classroom (cleaning supplies, books, gift cards to buy books or supplies)I think this is actually a clever approach to the ever-increasing amounts (in our area anyway) of end of the year gifts.

I also like the simple binder of hand written thank-yous that Disney Doll mentioned..that after all is what its all about.

ncscgirl2005
04-14-2008, 09:56 PM
In our school system, we're only allowed to give gifts of things that teachers can use in the classroom (cleaning supplies, books, gift cards to buy books or supplies).

I was told by a teacher once that those are the last things she wants to see on the last day of school. She's trying to forget school! Of course she was joking (at least I thought she was). :)

alphamommy
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
I've always done gift cards. The first few years (preschool) I got Tim Horton's cards, because they have a variety of stuff (coffee, donuts, sandwiches, etc.).

The last couple years, I've got book store gift cards.

I've mainly tried to stay away from trinkets and knick-knacks. I like to give something that they'll find useful.

Maybe we'll add thank you notes this year!

Tammy

mickeys_princess_mom
04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I think the best gift is just the thank you note. When I student taught the other teachers had every kid write a thank you note. They put them all together in a binder along with a small picture of each child. I still have that binder and it's fun to look back on my first class.

Better include a box of Kleenex with this one..:hug: My Dance Teams did this for me, and it was really special.
I've received the movie bucket before and LOVED it. Have also gotten cases of Cokes which were much appreciated. It was neat that they had paid attention to our particular favorites, and dropped these off at our doors with sweet notes.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-15-2008, 10:34 PM
So now it's time to start thinking about what to do this year. My time is really limited this year because I am still working and going to school, my husband is about to start clearing (we're PCSing soon) so we're in the process of decluttering our house for the movers (good luck with that), the kids are still playing softball, and I am selling Avon (I had no idea it would take up this much time). My brain is fried right now and I am drawing blanks on this.

That's where you come in. I need some help from my fellow Intercotees. I need some ideas please. It would be great to hear from some teachers about what you have received in the past. Please keep in mind that I have no creativity skills WHATSOEVER! LOL! I probably won't even have a home to live in by the end of the school year (June 3). LOL! The kids and I will stay here in a hotel (if we can rent our house out soon) until school ends while my husband moves to find us a place to live at our next duty station (he's leaving in a couple of weeks).
Just wanted to say that, especially given all that you're facing at the moment, the fact that you are even posting this thread and are concerned with making this one of your priorities means a lot to us. It is a really nice gesture that will surely be very much appreciated. It does us good to know there are people like you out there. You encouraged me tonight. :teach:
Good luck in your new home.:wave:

MamaStyles
04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
As a former teacher with 30+ years of experience, I would have TRULY appreciated items for my classroom such as tissues, antibacterial moisturizing handsoap (especially the kind from Bath and Bodyworks,) Purell, Expo spray cleaner for whiteboards, scented markers, gift card to Staples or a teacher supply store,or a book to add to the classroom library. I cannot tell you how much gifts for the classroom are MOST appreciated!:teach::minnie:

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow,...
Shining at the end of ev'ry day

Gooftroop5
04-16-2008, 08:52 AM
When dh was in 1st grade (2years ago) dd's teacher really helped us get dd straightened around & get her tested & set for occupational therapy. I did a coffee mug (plastic ones that have the coloring inserts to them) with a cross stitched teacher & a special cross stitched message from dd thanking her for everything. You can have your kids color the pictures that come in or make a collage of stuff of what the teacher meant to them. Also they make flower pots with this too & you can plant flower seeds or get some small plants to fill it with.

Last year we gave a book for the classroom. This year for Christmas dd gave her teacher a book.

Another suggestion either a book that she can read/use in class or a gift certificate to a book store so she can buy a book that the class room doesn't have. The other thing is a basket with school supplies (pencils, glue sticks, sticky notes, note pads, cute kid oriented postcards, pens, hightlighters, dry erase markers etc. You can a lot of this stuff at a dollar store) or a gift certificate/card to an office supply store. Its not very personal but it helps them with not having to buy these supplies out of pocket.

goofysbabe
04-16-2008, 09:28 AM
I've been involved with PTO and worked at a school for 11 years. A few ideas we've come up with........

Gift Baskets
Movie
Pampering
Tea/or Coffee
Car Cleaning
School Supplies
Reading
Chocolate
Beach

Cooking a dinner - put everything in reheatable containers and then they don't need to worry about dinner that night

Pamering Gift Cert- for faciels, massages etc.

Gift Cards for books, coffee, fav. restaurant etc.

Offering to help clean up room at end of school year

Plants/flowers or Gift card to Lowes, Menards for them to buy their own (or even if they wanted home improvement items)

Just a simple Thank You note

If a teacher is passionate about something make a money gift to that charity in her/his name i.e. save the whales, manatees - big brother/sister, breast cancer

Hope you can use some of these!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Years ago I worked for Bath and Body Works. People used to come in and buy apple scented products to give to their kids teachers. So much of it was returned. They used to complain that people always thought to buy apple stuff for them. So I guess all I'm saying is to stay away from apple. However a lot of them did say they wish parents would just buy them gift cards.

coloradowendyl
04-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Former teacher here! I stole this idea from a gift I was given many years ago and it has been very popular with my kids teachers! With the end of the school year being so hectic, most teachers have no time to cook.

Take a terracotta flower pot (new) and inside it put a large ziplock bag of washed salad greens, some grlled sliced chicken (separate bag), some parmesan cheese (bagged), croutons(bagged) and a bottle of casear salad dressing.

Take a large ribbon, tie around the pot and instead of a bow, tie inexpensive salad tongs and a note from you and your child. You have now given them Chicken Caesar salad and dinner is made!

NOTE: When I am at Disney, I go over to AKL's gift shop and stock up on their wooden animal salad tongs just for this purpose...they are so cute!

NOTE: for XMAS, this can be changed to a colander with a quart jar of homemade pasta sauce, pasta, loaf of bread.

Wendy

PoohGirls2
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Another idea is a gift card for some gas. Since the price of gas is so high now, I'm considering putting a gas gift card in each teacher's basket.

King Triton
04-17-2008, 08:58 AM
The baskets sounded great, but if you're pressed for time, teachers always appreciate book store (Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.) gift cards. They're always buying books out of their own pockets...

ncscgirl2005
04-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Another idea is a gift card for some gas. Since the price of gas is so high now, I'm considering putting a gas gift card in each teacher's basket.

Good thinking.

crazypoohbear
04-18-2008, 04:19 PM
one year for my youngest son's class we bought a huge outdoor terra cotta planter and had all the kids put their hand prints on it. The teacher had just put in a swimming pool and she still has the planters out there!
For thier elemetary school we usually do something personalized.

Magic Smiles
04-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Take a terracotta flower pot (new) and inside it put a large ziplock bag of washed salad greens, some grlled sliced chicken (separate bag), some parmesan cheese (bagged), croutons(bagged) and a bottle of casear salad dressing.

Take a large ribbon, tie around the pot and instead of a bow, tie inexpensive salad tongs and a note from you and your child. You have now given them Chicken Caesar salad and dinner is made!

NOTE: When I am at Disney, I go over to AKL's gift shop and stock up on their wooden animal salad tongs just for this purpose...they are so cute!

NOTE: for XMAS, this can be changed to a colander with a quart jar of homemade pasta sauce, pasta, loaf of bread.

Wendy
Those would be GREAT ideas for just about anyone for any occasions. Have to say that I will be borrowing these ideas in the future. I will have to try and remember to pick up some salad tongs when we are in WDW in 2 weeks.

McGoofy
04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
My son's school teacher is a big PEZ collector, and a Disney fan. She has her whiteboard in the classroom lined with a ton of PEZ dispensers, and it looks so cute and colorful in her classroom. Just recently, I found a limited collector's edition tin of Mickey Mouse PEZ dispensers celebrating Mickey's 80th birthday. One of the dispensers is Steamboat Willie! I snatched this up to save for her end of the year present.

KineGirl
04-24-2008, 09:55 PM
FamilyFun.com has some great Teacher Gifts ideas that you and/or your kids can craft

Teacher Gifts (http://searcha.familyfun.go.com/?q=teacher+gift)

LibertyTreeGal
04-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Well we have a sandwich shop in our small town that is superb and I got gift certificates for each of the boys' teachers, since I know that both of them enjoy having lunch there. It's a gourmet shop and a real "girly" place. :D