PDA

View Full Version : Walkie Talkies

Bringonthemouse!
04-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I am wondering if we (we being myself and DD16) should borrow mom and dad's walkie talkies for our next trip. I know as DD is 16 she will want a little more freedom to do her thing. Meeting at certain times was somewhat inconvenient last trip because we weren't always ready to abandon the shops/rides/etc. we were taking in. Do walkie talkies come in handy or do you find they just pick up a lot of chatter from other guests?
We aren't able to use or cell phones as the rates would be astronomical!
Let me know your thoughts.
:mickey:

Vintage Disney
04-13-2008, 01:12 PM
If you have walkie talkies go ahead and bring them. In the past, tons of people were using them and there was a lot of "chatter" when you tried to talk. I haven't seen very many people using walkie talkies in the last few years so the "chatter" problem may not be so bad-- most people use cell phones now.

disneydeb
04-13-2008, 01:13 PM
We used them before cell phones got popular, now we usually text our party member so we won't disturb others in attractions, shops, etc. Walkie-talkies would be better than not being able to communicate for peace of mind purposes.

Have a great trip!

Tuke
04-13-2008, 07:10 PM
We've tried all the walkie talkies, FRS, and GMRS. None of them worked, even in the same park. Forget about talking from park to park. As for cost, I paid a bunch for the radios, and then for one set I had to get a FCC license!! It just kept addig up, and NONE of them worked very well.
It would be cheaper and much more effective to go to walmart get some of those prepaid phones, and pay as you go. Just keep your conversations to a minimum.

:thumbsup:

Space Mountain Man
04-14-2008, 06:30 AM
You said your DD is 16? I'd be willing to bet she's a master at text-messaging. Assuming you will let her wander for long periods of time (and where's a better place to do that than WDW), you can simply text her to arrange times. I see you're from Canada, so check with you carrier about texting rates before buying walkie-talkies.

Janmac
04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
The problem with the walkie talkies is that they're line of sight. If you have a big castle, or spaceship or attraction building in between you and your daughter - you're not going to be able to communicate.

They claim to have a 2 mile radius but that can be greatly attenuated by bulidings, sometimes making communication difficult over much shorter distances. As others have said, you could easily pack them and see how they worked for you.

We have been using cell phones, the last couple of trips but even they will not always connect. Texting is probably the most reliable way to communicate, if that won't cost you too much.

DH uses a Tracfone which he bought at Wal-mart, for something like $13. I think 60 minutes and 3 months service was maybe $25 - he doesn't recall.

If you have a way to get to Wal-mart once you get to the States, the pre-paid phone may be the way to go for you. You might then be able to save your phones for another trip, and reactivate them then. Something to check into.

You're right - the arranged meeting place and time isn't very handy. Hope you find something that works.

Jan

MickeyandTink
04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
If you have a way to get to Wal-mart once you get to the States, the pre-paid phone may be the way to go for you. You might then be able to save your phones for another trip, and reactivate them then. Something to check into.Jan

:ditto:

We have one "family" cell phone, but that wouldn't do us much good when we split up so we bought a second, pre-paid phone online. I think the phone was about $20 and included $20 worth of airtime (@ $0.18/minute, so approx. 2 hours). This worked great for us and was plenty of time for keeping in touch, rearranging meeting times and places, etc. Plus, with vibrate we still knew when we were trying to be reached while on a ride, in a show, etc.

Taja
04-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I know a number of people from the UK who purchase US prepaid cell phones after arrival for use in the parks. WalMart or Target probably would be your best bet, after you arrive in Orlando. The numbers would be local and calls at local rates.

KineGirl
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Actually we have used these when our group splits up with pretty great success. My recommendations would be
1)make sure they have a nice radius (over 2 mi) even if youre folks dont go that far, stores like walmart sell ones for a decent price that go further. And get the kind that has that squealer on it.. much easier to get someones attention in crowds but dont forget to turn it down when in attractions
2)when you get into the park CHECK the channel youre on. If its a busy channel stand together and find one that isnt as busy. Dont just decide on one and then split up without checking first.
3)when on the walkie talkie, it could be static-y at times so be specific. Avoid things like "Im standing under the palm tree" (LOL) Use easy to find locations such as stores or rides.
4) dont just use them when youre trying to meet as that person could be in an attraction and have it turned down ... check in intermittently with each other. With line waits and such if you check in each time youre done with a ride or 2 that will have you talking to each other on an at least an hourly basis
5)set a specific time and place to meet regardless of the walkie talkies so that IF there is a problem you will meet back up with each other