PDA

View Full Version : Surprising my 5 year old

butterfly18237
04-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Hey Everyone

I was wondering how I should surprise my 5 year old son about our upcoming trip in September. I want to do something special. I also want to tell him on his birthday in June. Any suggestions. He loves Pluto and Mickey if that helps.

Thanks,

~*Kristy*~

tinklover
04-13-2008, 09:54 AM
how about have a scavanger hunt for him. since he is 5 i would imagine he can only read maybe small words so make up picture cards as to where he can find his next gift. start out by giving him a small gift and let him open it. have a card with a picture of teh next place where another small gift is hidden. so on and so on then when he gets to the last gift have a big old pic of disney world there and tell him this is where you are going in sept. since he likes pluto and mickey maybe make the small lil gifts those items or items with them on it like shirts and such that he can wear at teh park when he goes. Also since he is 5 i would say also with teh last gift have some kind of countdown calendar like a pull off day by day type thing so he knows how long till he goes to see the big cheese in person.

cal5755
04-13-2008, 10:44 AM
OOHH that is a cool idea.. the scavenger hunt idea. Boys love scavenger hunts. You could even start off having him put on some pirate stuff and have the trip be the "treasure" at the end of the hunt. That would be cool... a little chest with gold chocolate coins and a picture of Mickey, Pluto and The Castle.... or if you have gone before you could even blow up a picture from a past vacation to poster size.

Another suggestion. If you love to read together, you could make a book. Print off pictures of his favorite Disney Characters and make up a little story and write it at the bottom of the pages.....staple together and then on his birthday read him his very own personal story.

"Once Upon a time there was this little boy (name). On one very special day, his birthday in fact, he stepped outside his door and right into a super magical adventure....... (include things he loves about disney maybe he helps Mickey find pluto or helps them find plutos bone etc. then your ending can be) because (name) was so brave (or helpful etc) Mickey Mouse gave him a very super special Super magical gift. A trip to Disney in September for his whole family...... "

This way he can keep his present as a memory forever and you have the joy of reading it over and over again until your trip. Education and fun all in one lol. I have to say I agree with the idea of the calander too. We have one that we put a Disney sticker on every day to countdown our trip.

Have fun telling him whatever you decide... but let us know what you did and how ds reacts....

PhilHarHarMagic
04-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I asked my DD12 and she immediately responded "puppet show" and give him the puppets afterwards...

momof3+twins
04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
My brother in law surprised his mother with a birthday trip. He had the kids sing Winnie the pooh, Winnie the Pooh, we're going to Disney World and you are too. It was funny to see her reaction. She didn't know if it was real or not.

butterfly18237
04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone thanks for all your help.
I think I have ideas going on in my head. His birthday is in June so I still have time. Here is what im thinking: I'm thinking of putting different things Disney like disney dollars, maybe the mickey mouse club house figures, coloring book and bedtime storys disney book into a box thats decorated disney. Then maybe put it into his suitcase and get a little plane. Then I will have a card with our pictures from our last trip to disney. Then it says We are going to Disney in September. What does everyone think.

Thanks for your help
~*Kristy*~

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
I just asked DD (almost 10)...

She would give Disney themed-gifts, and for the last one it would be a stuffed of his fav character, holding a small paper saying "can't wait to meet" you, and tell him that he's going to meet Mickey (or whoever his fav character is).

TBY2225
04-17-2008, 12:30 PM
My friend here on the boards McGoofy told me of a great idea, and even helped me with this. She got a Disney postcard and sent my DD a note from Mickey Mouse! She even used a Disney stamp and wrote it to look like Mikey's handwriting. It was such a cool jesture and my DD loved it!

butterfly18237
06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Everyone,
Well Its June and only two days away from my sons birthday. We have kept it a secret. I have no clue how we did it, but we did. On friday we are going to finally tell him.

I'm going to do the treasure hunt thing. When we get home from daycare, I'm going to have it all set up. I'm going to tell him in the car that we has to go on a treasure hunt for his presents. So when we walk in my kitchen I will have a small present on the table, (one of the figures from the Mickey mouse clubhouse set) And I will have the kitchen decorate with Mickey balloons, and streamers. Then I will tell him that he needs to find another present, where he watches TV. Again another small present, and books. But then I will have the music on from the parks. After he opens it, I will then tell him he needs to look for his next present where he sleeps. Thats where I will have his suitcase (he has only used it for disney so far) With a big bow on it. I will then have the rest of the figures in there a stuffed dumbo, Disney dollars in there, shirts we bought for the trip and the birnhaum's wdw kids guide. Then I am making a card with pictures from our December trip and telling him surprise we are going to disney. I will then ask if he has figured out the clues!
Sorry its alot of reading. I can't wait. He loves things like that.

I will post pictures after I take them.

RBrooksC
06-18-2008, 09:11 AM
You could reverse what was done on The Simpsons. In the show, Homer and Marge told the kids they were going to Disney World and instead they went to the dentist. You could tell him he is going to the dentist and instead go the airport to take the flight.