PDA

View Full Version : AirTran Luggage Charges

TheRustyScupper
04-12-2008, 12:42 AM
4/11/2008:

Beginning May 15, AirTran Airways will start charging passengers $10 for a second checked bag, while the first will remain free.

The fee will not apply to passengers who hold Elite status in AirTran's A+ Rewards frequent flier program or ticketed passengers traveling in business class. The cost for any additional bags will continue to be $50 apiece.

The low-fare airline says it is making the change because of rising fuel costs.

Orlando-based AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings Inc. (NYSE: AAI) is a Fortune 1000 company that offers more than 700 daily flights to 58 destinations. It employs about 8,900 people.

1) Just simply another airline charging for 2nd bags.
2) Almost every airline is now on-board (no pun intended).
3) With fuel costs rising, look the rest to go along.
4) This might crimp people flying to Disney with 3-4 bags per person.
5) Folks will have to learn how to pack light.

JenniferS.
04-12-2008, 08:01 AM
I'm flying AirTran and do you mean more than 1 bag per person?? We are a family of 5, does that allow us 5 checked bags for free?? Thanks!

Nascfan
04-12-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm flying AirTran and do you mean more than 1 bag per person?? We are a family of 5, does that allow us 5 checked bags for free?? Thanks!

Correct. 5 people = 5 free checked bags.
Almost all airlines are or soon will be charging for 2nd checked bags per person.

Brainiak5
04-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Well at least makes up a little for the full charge I need to pay for my three year old now. His bag gives us an allowable limit of 4 now. Its amazing how much space a weeks worth of clothes can take up. The souvenirs are definitely getting shipped back from the resort directly- we used to bring an empty suitcase for them.:mickey:

JMTStone
04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
US Airways is also doing this. I think we'll have to pay the fee because we always have an extra bag on the way home!!!!

teambricker04
04-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Most major airlines are going to start doing this. United paved the way. It doesn't really bother me, and supposedly most people rarely take more than one checked bag per person.

I bought some of the space bag travel bags to squeeze out the air... they really work! I love then and can cram a considerable amount in a bag (just have to watched the weight!). I am going to use them this next time and bring a couple extras for our purchases.

I can handle having to pay an extra 10bucks per second bag on Airtran, since we got an amazing deal flying them this coming May!

bmj721
04-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I am the official "packer" for the whole family. I make The List weeks in advance for each person, obviously with his approval and also the overall list for things shared. This allows me the options in how to pack and I am an efficient packer. Usually two people to a fairly good sized suitcase. Additionally, regardless of the length of stay we only pack enough clothing for 1/2 of the trip. I bring my own detergent and mid-trip on a planned pool day we lounge around one of the pools at the restort and we do laundry. Even the boys help. This allows adequete space for the bags. In the evening we have an activity planned. If we go crazy with shopping we ship. This December we will do the same for 10 days. We are all excited and this time the mother-in-law is joining us. I wonder if she will do laundry?
:thumbsup:

Patti
04-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I fly Spirit. They started charging for your FIRST checked bag in June 2007. There are additional charges if your bag is overweight. In February 2008, the price increased on any checked baggage.

wkanack
04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Check out this web site and his book. It will help you to priortise what you will bring with you and also gives a lot of helpful tips about luggage and the airlines. theemptycarousel.com This man spent nearly 15 years a baggage system manager for an airline.

TheRustyScupper
04-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Well at least makes up a little for the full charge I need to pay for my three year old now. His bag gives us an allowable limit of 4 now.

1) If the child has a ticket, this is true.
2) if it is a lap-kid, then the answer is no.

wendy*darling
04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
I fly Spirit. They started charging for your FIRST checked bag in June 2007. There are additional charges if your bag is overweight. In February 2008, the price increased on any checked baggage.
We fly Spirit too.
At least they allow you to save a bit and pay half the cost if you do it ahead of time online. Every little bit helps! :)

Johnno52
04-16-2008, 10:52 PM
I don't mind the charge for the second bag as we only have one each. However this will start a flood of people overloading on the carry ons and encroaching on other peoples overhead compartments. We went close to last a couple of years ago and found that our overheads were full. When we landed a woman from 4 rows back came and tried to retrieve her luggage. Her whole family had brought all their luggage in the cabin. I told her she could wait until we clear our seats. She wasn't too happy but neither were we. :mad:

wkanack
04-17-2008, 02:56 PM
As fuel continues to sky rocket watch for airlines to limit or charge for carry on items. I'd also expect them to start charging for any bags checked. I worked in the airlines for a few years and see the writing on the wall it's coming, nothing will be free or included in your airfare.