PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the DDE

slpngbty56
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I am thinking about getting the DDE and was wondering if you wonderful folks here at Intercot could give me some more info on this topic. I know how much it costs, but was wondering if there are any drawbacks and why would you add a spouse doesn't one card cover the entire family?

Quasimodo
04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
We bought DDE last year and were very happy with it. The one card we had covered the entire bill for our family. Don't know why you would need a second card unless you dined separately or maybe if someone forgot their card.

There are a handful of restaurants that don't take it. Don't remember which ones, but most do take it. You would have to check the DDE web page to get the list.

Other than that, I can't think of any drawbacks as long as you eat at enough TS restaurants during your year long membership to get back what you paid for the card. Ours paid for itself on our first trip last year.

KylesMom
04-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Even though we live a long ways away and frequent Disney only once a year, we go for a substantial time (15 days per trip) & save quite a chunk of change with the DDE.

Unless you were a local resident & would be dining without your spouse frequently, there's no reason to purchase an extra card.

The worth of the card is in how you plan your ADRs. For instance, you need to be aware of the locations the ADR is taken, and you need to remember that you have it! To our way of dining, there are no "cons". It's a great value! :mickey:

Natazu
04-12-2008, 01:32 AM
We've been very happy with the DDE for the last few years. I'm a little concerned with this new automatic "gratuity" when you use your DDE card. It's still a good deal. I just don't like being told how much to tip. When you require it, it stops being a gratuity and starts being a service charge.

Maleficent's Dad
04-12-2008, 08:19 AM
We've been very happy with the DDE for the last few years. I'm a little concerned with this new automatic "gratuity" when you use your DDE card. It's still a good deal. I just don't like being told how much to tip. When you require it, it stops being a gratuity and starts being a service charge.
Yeah, what he said! :ditto:

We've loved having the DDE - always felt it so much more flexible than the DDP.

Plus, how else could you get discounted beverages at the R&C Pub??? :beer:

Jym's right though, about the gratuity... It's a bit extreme to make it a mandatory charge - but nonetheless, it's still a good bargain.

sillyolbear
04-12-2008, 08:47 AM
If you enjoy dining at table service restaurants and spend the number of days that justify an AP, the DDE is a good deal.

We dine at a couple of Signature Restaurants each trip and have saved a good deal of money even with the tip being added. My wife and I always travel together, so we've never considered picking up a second card.

Flash
04-12-2008, 09:17 AM
You can also use the DDE at the value food courts. I stayed at Pop in early April with family. They let us use my card and pay separately if we checked out together. We saved quite a bit at the food court!

wendy*darling
04-12-2008, 06:15 PM
One possible "con" that hasn't been mentioned.
There are black out dates to be aware of. You cannot use the DDE card on Easter, Mother's Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

If you don't think you will be dining on the holidays- it really can be a money saver if you Dine at WDW often throughout the year.

Crow
04-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, what he said! :ditto:

We've loved having the DDE - always felt it so much more flexible than the DDP.

Plus, how else could you get discounted beverages at the R&C Pub??? :beer:

Jym's right though, about the gratuity... It's a bit extreme to make it a mandatory charge - but nonetheless, it's still a good bargain.

I had it once before & got it for my last trip. It already paid for itself & Im planning to use it at least once more.
I did use it at R&C pub 2 or so times last trip. other than Tokyo Dining, I used it. In Sept Im going to use it the meals I dont have free dining. If you have an AP its a pretty good deal

KylesMom
04-14-2008, 04:09 PM
One other restriction of note - the DDE cannot be utilized in conjunction with "package" deals such as Fantasmic Dinner Package, Candlelight Processional, etcetera.