PDA

View Full Version : Do Ponchos on water rides work?

Disneyatic
04-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Our next trip is in December (the 13th-19th) and we still want to be able to ride the "water" rides even though the weather might be cool.
I have seen the suggestions of wearing ponchos on Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids, does this work well? :boat:
Is there a trick to wearing the poncho a certain way? Does it just allow you to get less wet or to stay pretty dry?:umbrella: :rain:

I would love to hear from anyone with experience on this!

MMouse6937
04-11-2008, 05:28 PM
For the most part I used mine to make sure that my butt didn't get wet sitting on the seats. I don't like my pants to be soggy, makes walking yucky. For Kali I did take my shoes off and put them under the poncho with me, cuz having wet squishy feet is yucky too. I don't think they will prevent all water from touching you, but they are pretty effective. I had one of the Mickey ones and DH said I looked like Big Bird so that's a bonus too!! :D

MarkC
04-11-2008, 05:30 PM
We've used them, as well as garbage bags, on water rides and had pretty good luck with them. You won't be completely dry but a lot better than you would be without them. One point of caution is that in summer they can be brutally hot, plus you're stuck carrying them around with you. That's why we went the garbage bag route-- poke holes for your arms and head, and at the end of the ride just give them to someone else in line. Then you don't have to carry them around and you make someone else happy. Mark

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
yes, they do work to an extent. They don't cover your entire body and on rides like Kali (where water comes in from all over) it does prove to be a bit of a problem staying completely dry. on flume rides (like Splash) they do work pretty well.

Noah's Helper
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Don't just wrap a poncho around your shoulders. I sat behind someone (a stranger) who did this on Splash Mountain. Coming down the first hill, it flew off her shoulders and into my face.:oops:

just2mickey
04-11-2008, 06:31 PM
I agree with everyone else. For Splash mountain~yes. Not so much for Kali River Rapids. That water has a way of finding its way into every little available space on your dry body.

dismommy
04-11-2008, 06:49 PM
It worked for my son but he's tiny, just a suggestion so you don't have to carry the wet ones around after, I found some in the camping section at target that were 88 cents and bought a bunch and just tossed them after.

lindique
04-11-2008, 07:23 PM
For keeping feet dry, here's a trick I've used before - take some plastic bags with you, preferable the kind that the Sunday newspaper comes in. They are the perfect size to make some temporary disposable boots.

merlinmagic4
04-11-2008, 07:40 PM
It will work better if you put on the hood! I bought one to wear on KRR because it was still early and chilly. I didn't put on the hood and a ton of water went right down the back of my neck. I was definitely the wettest. I asked for my money back but they don't come with a guarantee (kidding) :D

sacandjac
04-12-2008, 02:58 PM
They kept us dry on Splash Mountain and Kali River Rapids. I bought some super cheap ones at the Dollar Store (88 cents) before we left. They were compact enough that I took a couple and put them in my bag everyday. When we were done with one we just tossed it! Very convenient and kept us dry! I will definitely be using the same strategy when we go in Feb! Counting down the days!!!:thumbsup:

katzctkpt
04-12-2008, 05:01 PM
A lot of good ideas. We're going in Dec and was planning to buy several ponchos but, reconsidering the trash bag idea unless I find an awesome poncho deal.

Hull-onian
04-12-2008, 06:04 PM
I got my ponchos in the camping section of Wal Mart for 87 cents. Cheap enough!! Yes, ponchos work!:thumbsup:

azdisneymom
04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree with everyone else. For Splash mountain~yes. Not so much for Kali River Rapids. That water has a way of finding its way into every little available space on your dry body.

I beg to differ. I have used a poncho many times on Kali . I put it on making sure I am sitting on it, tucking it under my legs and the hood is on during the wettest parts. My feet may get wet but don't mess with my hair.

battle beast
04-13-2008, 12:26 AM
You know what? I look forward to the big guns blasting water at me on Splash. And besides, some days it's so hot and muggy that you WANT to get wet! Even so, you'll dry off before you know it... ponchos are a waste of time and you have to carry them around.:noway:

Meteora
04-13-2008, 08:57 AM
You know what? I look forward to the big guns blasting water at me on Splash. And besides, some days it's so hot and muggy that you WANT to get wet! Even so, you'll dry off before you know it... ponchos are a waste of time and you have to carry them around.

I have to disagree. The OP said they were going in December. I go in December every year, and while I will grant that some days are lovely, there are days when it never gets out of the 40s. And you cannot convince me that it is pleasant to walk around a park all day soaking wet in 40 degree weather, regardless of how much you love Disney or Splash. In fact, on days like that they turn OFF the water cannons with the understanding that people generally do not like to be soaked in that type of weather. The lines will be short (on days like that most logs go down Splash empty), but if you want to enjoy the rest of your day, a poncho is a good plan.

crazypoohbear
04-13-2008, 09:06 AM
I have had good luck with the ponchos on both rides. Make sure you tuck the poncho under you and around your tush, wear the hood and you should be fine. Just in case DON'T wear jeans or jean shorts. THEY will NEVER dry. Wear cotton or light weight material they dry much faster just in case.
As for the shoes on Kali, I thought you could NOT take your shoes off on that ride any longer.
We wear our Tevas when we go to Kali. Then it's not a problem.

Mickey91
04-13-2008, 11:08 AM
We have seen many people wearing ponchos on the water rides so I assume they work pretty good. As for keeping your feet dry on Kali, You can't go shoeless, but, if you prop your feet in the middle, up off the floor, they stay much dryer.:mickey:

Stitch,esq
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
As long as your seat is not "that seat" on Kali River Rapids you will be ok. I always wear my poncho when on Kali and have always kept pretty dry except the one time where our raft turned around just before going down the ramp and placed me and my DW with our backs to the action. When we went down the ramp it was my wife and me who received the worst part of the action. The rest of the people in the raft were having a riot laughing as the only two cowards with the ponchos were the ones soaking wet from the very beginning of the ride.

DigitalDaredevil
04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
My response is Yes and No. They will definitely help, but your rear will usually get wet, or your thighs on the outside.
I usually cover up on Splash Mountain and don't get too wet, but you go get a little on your seat area.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Last time it was pouring down rain when we rode Kali so we already had our Disney ponchos on.

I'd say it worked great. The only thing that was wet was my legs, feet and face. My clothes stayed dry. If you don't want to get soaked....wear them.:)

Disneyatic
04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Thank you to everyone for the replies and tips!

We don't mind getting wet, but with the weather maybe going to be a bit cooler, I wanted to be prepared so that we could still ride these rides! We haven't ridden Kali yet because DH doesn't like to get soaked, but with a poncho and some planning (maybe hitting it towards the end of the day!) I think he'll give it a try this time.
I am going to check out the cheap ponchos and stock up before out trip!

larandtra
04-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Never understood rain ponchos on water rides. A couple of parents and myself took a few of our players from our basketball team to the parks when we were at Nationals last year and we all just thought it was nonsensical. Why get on a water ride if you dont want to or mind getting wet? Thats why there is a sign on most that tell you you are going to get wet. We were on Kali and a couple of people with ponchos on got literally slammed with a wall of water and the poncho did them no good at all. The woman was screaming that she didnt want to get wet. The players of course were laughing and after the ride all I could say to a couple of our other parents was, "why get on a water ride if you dont want to get wet and then complain if you do?". We always wear crocs or croc flip flops so we dont have to walk aroudn in wet shoes and have bathing suits on or that we can change out of after we enjoy the ride and TRY to get wet. Our rating on any water ride is based on how wet everyone in the boat gets, thats why we ride them.