PDA

View Full Version : Cali Grill Dining Review

tomorrowschild
04-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi All.
We were in The World from March 21st until March 30th. We had a great time and ate at some fantastic spots.
Granted this was not my first trip to Disney World, by any means. I like to classify myself as an expert (whatever that means...), but this was my husbands very first trip. Our anniversary was in November, but we decided to wait (save the money) and celebrate during our trip. We looked at the Intercot menues, read the reviews, and decided on Cali Grill. I have always wanted to eat here. I am a "foody"- addicted to the Food Network. The small city we are from does not have anything like the Cali Grill.
We were both very excited about our visit. We had made our ADR 180 days in advance and got the time we wanted 8:30- Wishes that night would be at 10. So with the ADR made, we we couldn't wait.
The night started off with us arriving about hour early for our ADR, requested our window seat (thanks for tip- everyone), and had enough time to do about 10 minutes of browsing in the stores- when our little buzzer went off. I was very impressed that we were able to get in early.
We were seated at a very nice window seat with gorgeous views of the Magic Kingdom and Bay Lake.
We first ordered appitizers and sushi. We ordered the California roll, DH ordered potatoe and asperigus soup (it was yummy) and I had the Samoa Goat Cheese Ravioli (yumm-oh!!!!). So- so far so good.
While we waited for our main course the fireworks from expcot were going off- it was cool to be able to watch those as well.
Next came the main course. DH had the filet of beef- he liked it but found that you couldn't really taste the meat over the sauce. I had the scallops (good).
After we finished the mains it was about 10 to 10 so we decided to go outside to watch the fireworks from the viewing deck. It was very cool out there- but we waited. Well 10 rolls around and the Wishes starts- but no music. What? I had read so many posts saying that the music was piped in (and on the deck as well). Ok- so maybe it is just not working on the deck- so we went inside- no music- great views of the fireworks- but no music. I asked our server- well the system was broken:unsure:. We had looked so forward to the view with the music.
Dessert was next- DH had the banana butterscotch buzz- yum, and I had the chocolate molten cake- yum again.
So overall our impression was mixed. The food was very good (not outstanding- but very good). We were very disappointed about Wishes because this was one of the reasons we picked Cali Grill.
So overall I would give Cali an 8/10.:mickey:

Mackflava99
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I am going for Cali Grill the first time in june so i will see if its better or worse-

Septbride2002
04-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry the music wasn't piped in, technically difficulties can be frustrating. But look on the positives - you had a great meal and you had a killer view.

Next time - get the chefs special for the sushi - they change it all the time. I don't know exactly what ours was the last time - but it was YUMMY!

~Amanda

Duchess99
04-11-2008, 06:48 PM
The same thing happened to me when I was there last February. There was no music and they didn't dim the lights...it was very disappointing. I LOVE CG and will always go back there, but I hope this isn't a common recurring problem :(
Next time try the pork tenderloin entree...it's out of this world!