PDA

View Full Version : Never been on Splash Mountian

faberj
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
My DH and I have never been on Splash Mountian. How is it? Do you get totally soaked? The last time we went it was too cold and we did not want to get a cold. I am bound to go on it when we go in December though.

Mackflava99
04-11-2008, 02:05 PM
It is a terrific ride- its got animation, music , a stupendous drop and..... you will get soaked !!!

letsdoitagain
04-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Splash is in my top 3 at MK, which are POTC, Splash and HM. Not really in that order because I love them all equally.

Your missing out if you don't try it at least once.:thumbsup:

brertosh
04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Splash Mt. is an awsome awsome awsome ride! In case you didn't get it, its AWSOME! Its thrilling and fun too! The Song of the South characters are great. You don't want to miss it!!!! :number1: :thumbsup:

Belle619
04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
We LOVE Spash! It is one of the best rides in all of WDW. :number1:

The majority of the ride takes place inside the mountain, there are some smaller drops inside (about the size of the one in POTC) but nothing scary and the theming is just great - a lot to look at. :look:

The big drop is high, but there is only one and its done in a matter of seconds. When we went last week, we sat in the front row for the first time and we got soaked. So, prepair to get wet. We usually go in the off season, so we cheat by buying ponchos. :rain:

MMouse6937
04-11-2008, 02:43 PM
I also think that you have to try SM at least once. We actually have only been once in the last seven times to WDW. Mostly, yes because I don't want to get soaked which is not that big of a deal.

More importantly it's because the ride makes me feel stinky when I get off. I don't know if it's the water or the pads on the seats but something about that ride really smells. It sounds funny because I've never heard anyone here mention it, but DH and I have both said the same thing and it's somewhat the reason why we have an aversion to it.

We rode in DL and I got water in my shoe only, squishy!! :D

elmjimmlm
04-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I refuse to sit in the front...I try to sit at least 2nd or 3rd row...I nomally dont get that wet...My DH and DS rode in front and got it all...Its a great ride...This Dec. I am going to try to keep my eyes open on the drop:eek:

figmentduck
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Splash mountain is my favorite ride in all of Walt Disney World. I usually ride it at least 10 times throughout the week. I always ask to sit in front because that's where you get the wettest, which for me is the whole point of going on a water ride.

wdwgrl377
04-11-2008, 03:50 PM
You must try Splash Mountain!! It's a great, fun ride to go on! Just try it once - you will love seeing the characters, inside the mountain too!

Just go and try it once - you'll be glad you did!!

joonyer
04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Splash Mtn. is the overall best attraction in all of WDW. You might get soaked, but if you duck down if you are in the front row, most of the splash will miss you. I have ridden this ride many times and never been really soaked. wet yes, but nothing like what you get on Kali River Rapids if you are on the downhill side of the raft when it hits the bottom of the plunge. If it's cool weather and you don't want to get wet, wear a poncho. Splash Mtn. is a definite DO NOT MISS attraction. It's really magical after dark. Try riding during wishes. WOW :waycool:

Brainiak5
04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
We've missed out riding SM the past few times we've been to Disney as it was closed for refurbishment. One of the things I'm most looking forward to this time is this ride. Nothing beats a nice cooling drenching ride in July! The last drop is fun but not terrifying and the whole Brer rabbit/Brer Fox theming is great.:mickey:

Disney Maniac
04-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I went on Splash in December on our last trip. It was great we walk right on it. I was so scared to go on it, but after I loved it. The great thing is that my dad and I only got a little wet on our backs. So I am definetly going on this again!!:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
04-11-2008, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't say that you get totally soaked. Wet but not soaked like Kali River Rapids. It also depends on things like which side of the boat (right side tends to get wetter because of one waterfall) and front is wetter than back.

thatkindofday
04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Splash Mountain is so great! If you sit up front, you will get wet. A trick that my sister and I have come up with is to lean over when you get to the bottom of the drop, because then only your back gets wet, not your front. (plus its funny to see the expressions on the faces of the unsuspecting people in the row behind you :thumbsup:) Also, we always take a few plastic grocery bags in our backpacks to put all our stuff (including backpacks) in so it doesn't get wet.

Gotta Love Eeyore
04-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I usually don't ride water rides because I don't like to walk around in wet clothes/shoes for the rest of the day, but my kids (6&8) and DH talked me into it last year. It was one of the best rides we went on. The kids sat in the front and since they were so short, DH and I got a face full of water at the drop. It was so fun, that I didn't mind being wet and scraggly for the next few hours. We even bought the $$$ photo at the end.

Definately try it once!

Mickey91
04-12-2008, 12:13 AM
You can get totally soaked or stay pretty dry. It varies so much I wouldn't have a clue what to tell you. The ride itself is wonderful! All the Song of the South animated characters come to life. It is one of my family's favorite rides. I have seen some people where rain ponchos to keep a little dryer. Maybe that would help.:mickey:

mrsgaribaldi
04-12-2008, 08:12 AM
More importantly it's because the ride makes me feel stinky when I get off. I don't know if it's the water or the pads on the seats but something about that ride really smells. It sounds funny because I've never heard anyone here mention it, but DH and I have both said the same thing and it's somewhat the reason why we have an aversion to it.

I know exactly what you mean!!! I hate that smell too. When you touch the front of the seat, your hand will smell, kind of musty. I don't like it either but I'll go on the ride because I love it.
If you're sitting in the front and the front is heavy, you will get more wet. I believe in the cooler weather, there is less water splashing you during the ride, but you still get wet at the end. Like everyone said, the ride is awesome, not to be missed. Get a poncho or wear a rain jacket with the hood up if you don't want to get the wet. My feet never get wet but I have gotten my pants and shirt soaked. :rain:

disneydeb
04-12-2008, 09:19 AM
The smell doesn't bother me. I just find it part of all Disney water rides, IASSW, Pirates and Splash.

I have to ride Splash at least once during a visit.:thumbsup:

homeschool mom
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
We have ridden Splash Mtn. many times. Sometimes we have gotten wet - I wouldn't say soaked - and sometimes not. I think it depends on where you sit. I would recommend you ride it in the morning if you do get wet and want to be dry by afternoon.

We rode Kali River Rapids in AK around 4:00 and my 7 yr old DS and I literally got soaked through to the skin! I had to buy a towel on the way out. I must add the sales cart was conveniently located. We had to go back to the hotel and change before we could go to Epcot for the evening. I don't think I'll ever get my DS on that ride again. I had him convinced that he was my good luck charm and we wouldn't get wet since we never had before. He wasn't very happy with me.

Sorry to ramble on. I just love those Disney memories! :mickey:

EeyoreRox
04-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it's an awesome ride. One of my fav. You don't always get soaked, it depends on the drop and what not. I cant wait to go on it again!!!:tigger:

laward32
04-12-2008, 06:27 PM
We went on it for the first time in October and I loved it. We got more wet at the start of the ride then we did on the drop. It was even raining that day and we had our ponchos on, but it still got our rears totally soaked.
It is very lively and fun. I can't wait until we get to go again. I wish we had rode it more than once while we were there.:mickey:

katzctkpt
04-12-2008, 09:25 PM
This is one of our all time favorites it's a must do wet or not. We are going in Dec so, we've decided to purchase some cheap ponchos to use when we ride. You don't always get soaked but, you will get wet I think it's depends on the weight in the boat. The more weight the more wet IMO. You most definately have to ride this ride!!:thumbsup:

brad192
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Absolutely one of the best rides at WDW. The "wet factor" is pretty random. I rode it many times without getting wet, but the last time I rode in October, we had 6 pretty big guys in our log, and I was in the right front seat. The first tiny little drop hosed me & my seat companion, so we were wet from the start & realized this was NOT a good sign.

True enough, the big drop came & an absolute tidal wave of water came over the front of our log & completely drenched us. It was hysterical! It took about 3 hours to get completely dry, but it was worth it! :mickey:

#1donaldfan
04-14-2008, 12:09 PM
It's not a guarantee to get wet at all....I've been on it and stayed totally dry and others I've been drenched.......it depends on the water canon at the beginning, that's where I got soaked.....have fun, you'll love it....we do !!

2MuchWDFun
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
This is my favorite ride at WDW...it has everything: a great song, a well themed que, parts of it turn into a roller coaster, plus a big drop. It is Disney at its best.

How wet you'll get and how miserable you'll feel depends on where you sit and the time of year/how cold it is outside. We went in early Jan a few years ago and was told that when the weather is cold they turn off the water cannons so there is less of a deluge of water. We didn't get soaked.

A couple of tips:
1) If you are in the front... duck and the people in the back will get splashed.
2) go earlier in the day when it is still hot out and you'll dry quickly...in fact it'll feel good to be cool and wet for awhile.
3) If you are still worried about getting wet...wear a dollar store poncho.

I think that once you've ridden it you're going to wonder what all the fuss was about!

Have fun!!

LauraF
04-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I think the drop is almost anti-climactic after the fabulous (and awesome :D) themeing throughout the ride. I enjoy every minute of that ride . . . except for the time the log stopped (emergency ride stop - no way I could have known))by the waterfall on the right and I got drenched. BF laughed his butt off. :D

I've found that if I sit on the left and near the back I get a little less wet. Even when I rode once in December, I was dry usually within an hour or so.

jnfr2424
04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Splash Mtn. is the overall best attraction in all of WDW. You might get soaked, but if you duck down if you are in the front row, most of the splash will miss you. I have ridden this ride many times and never been really soaked. wet yes, but nothing like what you get on Kali River Rapids if you are on the downhill side of the raft when it hits the bottom of the plunge. If it's cool weather and you don't want to get wet, wear a poncho. Splash Mtn. is a definite DO NOT MISS attraction. It's really magical after dark. Try riding during wishes. WOW :waycool:

That is so true: the best time to ride Splash mtn is during Wishes or Spectromagic!

wedway76
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I agree with the folks that say that SM is one of the best rides in WDW. The Song, the theming, te hitt. It's all great!

I really think it's hit or miss if you get wet or not. We've sat in the front and stayed dry and have sat in the front and gotten soaked. The same for most other seat positions.

kutekelsey96
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
I love Splash Mountain, its probably my favorite ride..
most of the ride is indoors, and you go down a couple little drops. You don't get that wet.

Then, there's the big drop. It's not this thing that just comes out of nowhere, you climb a big hill before going down, and you kind of realize your about to drop when everyone starts screaming and putting their hands up. You get to the top and down you go. It basically feels like a water slide, except you don't feel like your gonna fall off. Before you get to the bottom, try ducking. It'll help you get a little less wet, but your back will probably get splashed. After you go down, you go through another scene of brer rabbit going home.

The rides really good, and if you want a little more preparation (spelling?) you can find on-ride videos of it on youtube
heres a good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-reUCySma4Y

WDWFREAK101
04-15-2008, 07:52 PM
It has one of the best drops you will ever ride down at Disney and the music, characters, animation, story and everything Disney masters at is here and I think Disney did it's best to include it all in here. By the way, It has heated water, what more can you say?!?!:number1:

NJ Camper
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree 100% i would say its one of my favorites probably in the top 5 disney rides

P00H4u
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I have also never been on SM although my daughter went on it when she was three!!! I just don't like the idea of getting wet. Maybe with our upcoming trip in June, it will be hot enough that I would enjoy getting soaked.

cal5755
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
SM is just awesome.... you get awesome theming with a great thrill... plus a cool down splash... What is not to love... oooh and I almost forgot it has my favorite song... the laughing place...

Sweezy
04-17-2008, 08:47 AM
you rly dont get that wet, not to mention the ride really is worth it no matter what if you are a disney fan...the theming is almost unparalled and the storyline etc are perfection~

SoaringDisney
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
We rode it a few weeks ago. It was really cool and a pretty long ride. Those of us in the back did not get nearly as wet as the ones in the front.

kakn7294
04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I love this ride until we get to the big drop at the end. I'm not a fan of getting soaked and walking around like that all day - I don't like Kali because of it. But I do like the characters and the story in Splash so I endure the soaking at the end to see it - and to be honest, sometimes you get soaked and sometimes you barely get wet. It's kinda the luck of the draw and it's worth it to check it out at least once. If you want to get a little sneak peak of the inside, you can ride the train - it passes through Splash and you can see a little bit of the fun inside.

MushuGrl
04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
I've never done it either, mainly because I don't really care for log rides (I don't feel good on a drop unless I have a lap bar or shoulder straps).

But it's killing me cause I LOVE Song of the South and it's the only mountain I've yet to conquer. Thanks to everyone who mentioned going during Wishes - I might have to try that!

joonyer
04-17-2008, 06:35 PM
No need to worry about not having a lap bar or shoulder straps on Splash Mtn., because you'll only experience positive G forces at the bottom of the drop, which only pushes you down into the seat. It's not like a roller coaster where you might experience negative (upward) G forces going over a hump. Splash logs are moving fairly slow whenever you crest any hills or humps.

And definitely try it during Wishes, not only does the view of the fireworks from the top of Splash Mtn. make the whole ride even more magical, you'll find that the people in line will be so sparse that you may very well get to ride again without having to exit your log. Same thing happens during the SpectroMagic parade (and at BTMRR as well); almost nobody in the queues! We always go to MK more than one night on every visit so we can watch the Wishes and Spectro one night, and ride Splash and BTMRR during those events on another night.

LudwigVonDrake
04-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I always feel bad for people who are afraid of the big drop. They are missing one of the best Disney rides ever.

EditReject
04-17-2008, 09:15 PM
This is must ride anytime you are in the Magic Kingdom and it is much more than a fancy flume ride. Even if you have to wait in line a bit, it is worth it. As far as getting soaked, it varies from ride to ride.