PDA

View Full Version : The New Spaceship Earth - Finally got to see it.

Marker
04-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Just got home from a short visit to WDW, and finally got to see the newly revised Spaceship Earth.

I tried to avoid ready much about it because i didn't want to be influenced, although I seemed there were a lot of negative feelings out there.

Well, once again I find myself in an apparent minority with my opinion. Yep, that's right, I liked it. Now I wouldn't call it significantly "better" but I certainly wouldn't call it worse either. It's just different, and there's not a darn thing wrong with that.

Specific comments -

- I kind of liked the mammoth hunting video image at the beginning.
- I thought many of the usual scenes looked better
- the first think I noticed that I "missed" were the light chariots travelling down the road. Although, I like the look of this scene much better now. While I always got a kick out of the light chariots, they were kind of corny.
- I'm not bothered at all with the computer interaction on the decent. I think it's a creative use of that transition time, and would be a nice touch for kids. Although, after riding it a second time, I was hoping that the image of the future that it drew would have been different based on the answers to the questions. I got a real kick out of the way they used your face on the story of your future. And I loved the map that shows where people are from (although I suspect some will locacte themselves in odd places just for kicks).
- I liked the computer lab and the garage scenes, I think they are nice additions.
- I kind of missed the kids talking from different countries via video phone, but it's depiction of the "future" was really not so futuristic anymore.
- I thought that it looks like they might have left room for another scene right before you come into the view of the earth space. Perhaps some flexibility for a future revision.
- I didn't mind the new narrator. Just different, not really better or worse. Although I did find it easier to hear and listen to. I also thought the language used was perhaps more kid toned. But I have no problem with that.

I do have a question though. What was up with the paper boy? You know, the kid selling papers on the street corner. He was back in the corner facing the wall. That looked really odd. There was a stack of newspapers out front, but the paper boy was in back facing the wall.

But overall, I liked it. Sorry, just can't get on the negative train on this one.

like2workout
04-11-2008, 08:40 AM
ha! that's hilarious that you mentioned that about the paper boy. i was there last week and also noticed him facing the corner, and that really stuck out in my mind also. i'd love to hear from someone on this. other than that, the biggest change i noticed that has something that i'm going to miss is also something you mentioned - the chariot scene - and then the narrator would say, "north, east, west, south, all roads led to Rome"! that line is gone, but i loved that!

Disnamic Duo
04-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm with you... My wife and I went on it at the end of January and we really loved it! We thought the changes were great - the animatronics are so good. And we also enjoyed the interactive stuff at the exit (after you get off the ride). We thought it was much improved.

goofy for pluto
04-11-2008, 09:47 AM
I have not been able to ride SE since the refurbishment,
but if it is true that the chariot scene is gone, I will also be very sad. I loved that. :(

Marker
04-11-2008, 10:01 AM
I have not been able to ride SE since the refurbishment,
but if it is true that the chariot scene is gone, I will also be very sad. I loved that. :(

The chariot scene isn't gone, it's been changed. It now has animatronics and a real chariot, it's really a pretty cool scene. But the little chariots of light are gone. I think the scene is much better actually, but I was always amused by the chariots of light.

Jeff G
04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for offering a differing opinion Marker, I haven't read many positive reviews about SSE's changes until your post. I would always prefer for WDW to stay more traditional to the original theming of EPCOT, which they haven't done lately, so I'm always fearing the worst of a rehab on a classic. Based on the negative buzz I was picturing another JIYI. I'll be there in September and can't wait to see what they have done with the ride(hopefully I see the ride the way you did).

Disneymom4ever
04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm with you on this one, my family and I really liked the updated version! It just looked fresher, newer, and my kids loved the interactive screens and the map at the end. Very clever! I think they did a good job!

busterthebronco
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
we just did it and DS and i got a real laugh out of the use of our faces on the video.
much better ride now!

iluvdizknee
04-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Can't wait to see it in July. I didn't tell the kids that they changed it, so I am waiting to see their surprise and comments on the ride.
Thanks for all the info....:thumbsup:

Brainiak5
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
This is going to be our first stop when we arrive June 30. I'm looking forward to see the changes. It sounds pretty neat so far :mickey:

pogo
04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm looking forward to it come December. Thanks for your thoughts. :D

King Triton
04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I pretty much agree...its a nice ride and I think it was time for a rehab.

Is it a spectacular change? No.
Is it a must-do? Maybe.
Is it worth waiting in line? No (just hit it later in the day)

But, I do think its worth your time, at least once a trip.

Belle619
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
:exactly: I rode it last week and I agree that it really was a lot better than some were making it out to be.

DawsonAR
04-11-2008, 03:00 PM
We rode it in January and we loved it. Can't wait to do it again soon.

wdwgrl377
04-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I've heard so many bad things about the updates on this ride. I always happened to like this ride for many reasons.

I am so glad to hear that people have liked the updates. I can't wait to ride it in October and see the new things. Im sure that I will like it too! ;)

stitch1969
04-11-2008, 10:47 PM
The only good thing about the change was seeing our faces in the video on the descent. But they weren't there for everyone.

My daughter and I saw them and loved it. My wife and other daughter in the seat behind us had the "generic" faces and had no idea what we were talking about. Needless to say my 6 yr old was quite upset that she didn't get to experience that part of the ride. (Unfortunately we were on our way out of the park and the line was 40 minutes, so we couldn't reride).

Also, our faces were on the post-ride board and theirs were not. Any ideas?

just2mickey
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
The Smell! Is the smell still there? Panic stricken! I need to know that the burning smell near Rome is still there.

mac badger
04-12-2008, 01:08 PM
yes yes yes, the smell is still there. this was the most important question in my mind when i rode it in march. i was so happy it was still there

Hull-onian
04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Well, after reading everyone's review, I thought you guys were talking about the latest Idol. :funny: I am looking forward to Spaceship Earth next week. My DGC will get a kick out of it. The last time I took Ashley, we rode Spaceship Earth five times, she loved it. Me too!!:yes:

LandFan
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I, too, am happy to hear some good reviews about the revisions to SSE! I was concerned... Can't wait to ride it again in November!!

Thanks for giving me something new to look forward too!

jaredkari
04-13-2008, 11:31 PM
My wife and I like the changes too. BUT, we do miss the chariots in Rome, that was a neat little effect. To me it still has the same feel as before, it still gives that Disney classic feeling, I LOVE THAT FEELING!!!!! :mickey:

cal5755
04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
It is really nice to see some positive feedback on SSE. This is our first ride in Epcot every trip. We missed it last year due to the refurb and we can not wait to see it this Sept. So glad to hear some of you love the new version.