PDA

View Full Version : "Please move to the end of the row".

HairyBear
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
How do you feel about moving to the end of the row? I don't agree with the statement "There's not a bad seat in the house". It does seem better to watch a show from the center of the theatre.If it is totally packed but when it's not is it really neccessary ?

There is always a little devil on one shoulder saying to sit in the middle and the angel on the other saying to move down and be nice and not enjoy a show as much.

:thedolls: dont move

:mickey: move

Do you think ALL seats are just as good?

#1donaldfan
04-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Ya gotta know where to wait till the doors are open to have a "middle" area seat....

......I agree with them making us move to the end...it's not fair to those behind us, plus how do we know how many more are going to be filing in.???????

...just play it safe and let a bunch go in before you.....:mickey:

Altair
04-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Instead of rushing in to be first, just hang back and pick a row with people already in it you end up in the middle without stopping.:drill:

just2mickey
04-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Personally, I find the whole thing chaotic. I mean I get so confused and it never fails, I pick the wrong door where the isle fills up and then I am forced to move to another row which fills up and before I know it, I am in the back, third seat from end on the opposite side. It is like Kramer on the subway trying to get a seat for all my Seinfeld fans.

Once, my Dh and DD were waiting to get into "It's Tough to be a Bug", The crowd pressed in and someone in front of us miscounted seats and threw the whole thing off, good Lord...... I ended up sitting between my DD and DH (not even in a seat more of a hump really). My goal this trip is to just make it to a row with the family in tact.

battle beast
04-10-2008, 08:53 PM
The middle is the best palce to sit... when it's not crowded, sit where ever... but if it is crowded, liek thye say, let people go in first, then get a middle seat.:thumbsup:

Disdude
04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I guess I'm one of a shrinking minority that feels you should do as directed when you're in Disney's house. I am so sick of crawling over people because they decide to plop their behinds down in the middle of a row. The kicker is when they give you a dirty look because you are not being careful when you're stepping over them.

Disney (or anywhere you are given directions) are not generally done to make it hard on people. Quite the contrary; It is to make it easier, safer, and more enjoyable for everyone. The time between many shows is very limited and having people sit where ever they feel like it is very inefficient. One instance that comes to mind is a full house at Mickey's Philharmagic. Every seat will be filled and they have to wait for everyone to sit down or look for some empty seat somewhere. It gets ridicules and it is terribly rude to force people to hunt for a seat.

As has been said, don't try to be the first one in the door. I prefer to sit in the middle so I wait but I don't agree there are bad seats in any show I've been to. There may be some that are better but I think Disney has done a terrific job setting up all their theaters.

Pixie Power
04-10-2008, 09:58 PM
I guess I'm one of a shrinking minority that feels you should do as directed when you're in Disney's house. I am so sick of crawling over people because they decide to plop their behinds down in the middle of a row. The kicker is when they give you a dirty look because you are not being careful when you're stepping over them.

Disney (or anywhere you are given directions) are not generally done to make it hard on people. Quite the contrary; It is to make it easier, safer, and more enjoyable for everyone. The time between many shows is very limited and having people sit where ever they feel like it is very inefficient. One instance that comes to mind is a full house at Mickey's Philharmagic. Every seat will be filled and they have to wait for everyone to sit down or look for some empty seat somewhere. It gets ridicules and it is terribly rude to force people to hunt for a seat.

As has been said, don't try to be the first one in the door. I prefer to sit in the middle so I wait but I don't agree there are bad seats in any show I've been to. There may be some that are better but I think Disney has done a terrific job setting up all their theaters.

I agree. :thumbsup::mickey:

thatkindofday
04-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Oh, it annoys me to no end when people don't go all the way to the end of the row. They're so anxious to rush in ahead of everyone then, they plop down in the middle of the row and expect everyone to just climb over them. So, I climb over them, give them a nice little smile and 'accidently' step on their feet and bump them with my backpack and keep going all the way to the end of the row. Hehe.:thedolls:

loopner67
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I think it depends on how busy it is. If it's not hurting anyone else, then I might stop in the middle. BUT I agree with whoever said you should let other people go before you, then you won't have to move so far down in the row.

KylesMom
04-10-2008, 10:43 PM
AGREED. If you're in such a hurry to get a good seat, then strategically plan. Don't make my family trip & crawl over you!

I assure you, we see this at every show we attend at Disney - and it is one of my family's biggest pet peeves, since we travel in peak season. You know the theater is going to be packed, so MOVE DOWN!

joanna71985
04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
It just takes good timing to get in the middle. You just make sure to wait til the row has people, then time it.:thumbsup:

Young@Heart
04-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Instead of rushing in to be first, just hang back and pick a row with people already in it you end up in the middle without stopping.:drill:

This is what we do. And if it doesn't work out, we just move down. :mickey: The only time I got upset was when the people next to us left our row for different seats, and we had to move from middle to the end of the row. But we moved w/out arguement.

DisneyDudet
04-11-2008, 02:25 AM

I agree! Usually if they anticipate that there will not be a full house, they may direct you to go 3/4 down the row, or sit anywhere. If you don't want to sit on the end, wait a few seconds and move into the theater. Its really a hazard if you stop and sit in the middle and make people crawl over you. Someone could fall. I believe it is more a safety reason than just logistics and crowd management.

When in doubt, remember the quote in my sig...

Magic Smiles
04-11-2008, 07:11 AM
I think it depends on how busy it is. If it's not hurting anyone else, then I might stop in the middle. BUT I agree with whoever said you should let other people go before you, then you won't have to move so far down in the row.

Until they sit in the middle and that leaves you where? Either to climb over or to stay at the end, either way you are no longer in the middle after all the planning. This has happened to us more than once.

DizneyRox
04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I never understood the rush to get into a theater. It's true, wait and when a row looks like it's filling up, select that one.

I refuse to walk over someone, so I will stand and wait for a CM to make people move. This has yet to fail me, and foten I'm sitting front and center. I enjoy seeing the faces on the people who have to move because they didn't listen to simple directions.

Now, if they could only do something about the punk kid in back of me kicking my seat I'd be happy.

SBETigg
04-11-2008, 08:21 AM
AGREED. If you're in such a hurry to get a good seat, then strategically plan. Don't make my family trip & crawl over you!

I assure you, we see this at every show we attend at Disney - and it is one of my family's biggest pet peeves, since we travel in peak season. You know the theater is going to be packed, so MOVE DOWN!

I'm agreed, too. I do think that some seats are better than others, but I don't just plop down where I want. I do move to the end of the aisle because it's the right thing to do. It may seem not crowded, but you don't always know until everyone's in. You could do some strategic planning to try and end up in a prime seat, but once you're in a row- move down as requested.

Some seats may be slightly better, but no seats are all that bad. If I truly don't like my seat, I'll just see a show again. I plan my vacations with time to repeat my favorites, so things like not getting the best seat are never a big deal to me.

crazypoohbear
04-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Now, if they could only do something about the punk kid in back of me kicking my seat I'd be happy.

Just turn around and say politely "please stop kicking me in the back it hurts!"

Then if that doesnt' work... squirt them with your mister fan, by accident! Oops, I missed my face and got yours by accident, I guess I was distracted by the banging on my back"

locodemickey
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
I never understood the rush to get into a theater. It's true, wait and when a row looks like it's filling up, select that one.

I refuse to walk over someone, so I will stand and wait for a CM to make people move. This has yet to fail me, and foten I'm sitting front and center. I enjoy seeing the faces on the people who have to move because they didn't listen to simple directions.

I think this is the best approach. It would make those that think they are more important than others have to move down to the end. You know that the cast members would get involved if you were just standing there waiting for the "high and mighties" to follow instructions. And don't get me started on those that pretend they don't understand English:thedolls:

DDuck66
04-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I have noticed that when we go in the offseason, they usually leave the directions "to move to end of the row" out. When we go in the busy season, it is in effect. We try and judge a row that is about half filled and jump in that line.
The middle does seem to be a much better seat, especially for the 3-D shows. In the other types of shows, it does not seem to matter as much.

GrumpyFan
04-11-2008, 09:44 AM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves, and it annoys me to no end when people do it.

For those who think it's okay to do it when it's not crowded, I agree, but you should still be prepared to move if necessary. I've been in several shows in lesser crowded times when it didn't look like it was going to fill up, but they held the doors for another few minutes to allow more people to join.

I've "accidentally" tripped over people before, and even asked repeated the announcement, "Please move to the end of the row". Some CMs are better about enforcing this, and will hold the show until people make room for more, others will just ignore it and go on.

Disneymom4ever
04-11-2008, 11:27 AM
That is my family's strategy as well, wait until the row is filling up, then file in. I'm still teaching that to my kids, but sometimes they just get so excited, and go! I did notice this trip the CM's were a little cranky with the announcements, on various rides. Just not as patient, it seemed. Then again, it was Easter, and talk about crowds!

WDWFREAK101
04-11-2008, 12:41 PM
It really depends on what show you are seeing. My family always goes on an off season or during the week so we never have this problem but if you were to go in the summer or on a weekend, I would understand how you would feel. I hate that rule too. It seems like everybody brings a mob of people on thier trip and forces others to move over. Oh well.

PirateLover
04-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I think you just have to use common sense sometimes. Yes, when the CMs direct you to move all the way to the end of the row you should do so. But sometimes in the offseason they either say stop 3/4 of the way down or leave out directions completely and allow you to sit wherever. Sometimes we have been the first and gone to the end of the row and our row has filled in, but we've noticed that no one went in the row behind us so we'll just move to that row. Generally it is good practice to hang back and let everything play out because people are like sheep. They'll often just follow others into a row, and some rows will be left completely empty.

Kenny1113
04-11-2008, 01:34 PM

.:blowup:

This irritates me! Once at philharmagic someone did that, they repeated many times overhead, they did not move, Then CM had to come over to ask them to move down.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-11-2008, 01:47 PM
This is one of my pet WDW peeves!

There is always one family, who pushes and shoves their way in, only to plop themselves down in the middle and make it almost impossible for the rest of us to get buy.

I don't like gettig stuck at the end of a row, so I try to hang back and let some people in before me...but when I look at it...even if I'm i the very last seat at the back corner, I'm still at WDW!

When people do flop in the middle I take great pains to be difficult, usually bump them, and when they give me the "look", I simply remind them that they chose to stop in the middle.

Seasonscraps
04-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Unless the theater is really packed, this doesn't bother me. If I have to step over someone, I do and try not to step on toes. If the theater is empty, I'll just sit down. I like to think that maybe this is the person's first time seeing a show I saw a dozen times already - so let them have the center seat. Or maybe English isn't their first language and don't know the rules. It falls into my don't sweat the small stuff category - in 5 minutes it won't make a diffence.

5fromabove
04-11-2008, 02:02 PM
I definitely think that heading down an aisle that already has people is a good idea. One trip, in The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, we got in at the tail end of seating and had to sit at the very end of several different rows. We couldn't see well at all, the special effects (water, etc) didn't reach us, and it wasn't a good experience. We immediately wished we had waited for the next showing. Last trip we got in line sooner, let other people fill in and ended up in the middle of a row. We loved the show that time. I think some seats are definitely better than others. Just have to try to plan it right.

Mackflava99
04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
the people who get there early get penalized- but if the didnt do it- then the lines would be longer and the rooms wouldnt fill up-

Mickey91
04-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Well, it is actually a BIG pet peeve of mine to go to a show like Mickey's Philharmagic and have to climb over people who can't follow directions. I make it a point to drag my bags across their faces and step on their feet. I don't like being all the way on the end either but having to climb over people when I'm hot and tired really makes me angry!:mad:

luvdiznee
04-12-2008, 08:43 AM

I agree. I don't have a problem moving to the end. Hey, first one out. And besides, not a bad seat in the house. :mickey:

DigitalDaredevil
04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
You should follow the rules and slide over. It the shows doors close and you can slide to the middle, then fine, do it.
As much as we would love to have the best seat int he house for every show, you just are not going to get it.
Be glad that you are in the show.

cal5755
04-13-2008, 02:56 PM
We were at Mickeys Philharmagic when our youngest was 6 months old. We were moving in the row and asked 2 people who just plopped down in the middle if they would move down (dh asked and ds and dd were behind him and then me holding 6 month old dd and mom was behind me).. they said no.. so we just went by them and our 6 month old spit up on the guy who had said NO as we were going by.. I busted out laughing because her timing was comical. I had her butt on my hip so she was facing outward and I had the diaper bag in the other hand in front trying not to hit these two rude people who refused to move... well dd took care of them!! I did offer them a few wipes of course and he was lucky because it landed on his bare knee and not any of his clothing.

We never let it bother us though.. if we have to step over people we do. We dont purposely step on toes but dont feel guilty if we do. We honeslty don't care where we sit at any given show... we know we will can see it again if we need to.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-13-2008, 03:09 PM
It annoys me too. If they tell you to go all the way to the end....then just go all the way to the end.

However I like to sit at the ends. I'm short and always get stuck behind someone who is really tall and can't see. So if I sit at the end I can usually see better.

big blue and hairy
04-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Then if that doesnt' work... squirt them with your mister fan, by accident! Oops, I missed my face and got yours by accident, I guess I was distracted by the banging on my back"

Until you find a kid with a mister fan of his own and start a squirt fight.....

I also find it annoying but sometimes you just have to ignore them.

:sulley:

Marker
04-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Personally, I find it very inconsiderate of people to ignore the request to move to the end of the row and do as they "darn well please" regardless of the effect on the rest of other people in the world. For me, it really says something about the character of those people.

While sitting in the center may perhaps (and only perhaps) be a "better" seat, that does not mean the other seats are "bad".

There are a lot of people trying to get into the theater in a timely manner. To blop oneself down in the middle of the row as others are attempting to fill in the row to me says that those people are in total disregard of others and are determined to have they're own way without any concern for others.

In my opinion the payoff of such self-absorbed behavior is not worth the cost to one's character. But that's just my opinion.

JMTStone
04-13-2008, 06:54 PM
so we just went by them and our 6 month old spit up on the guy who had said NO as we were going by...

Karma!:ack:

cloud9
04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
.. they said no.. so we just went by them and our 6 month old spit up on the guy who had said NO as we were going by..

Thank you so much for the laugh. That was so perfect.:D

poeticeclipse
04-14-2008, 10:13 AM
they said no.. so we just went by them and our 6 month old spit up on the guy who had said NO as we were going by..

That's why you have children!

There are a lot of people trying to get into the theater in a timely manner. To blop oneself down in the middle of the row as others are attempting to fill in the row to me says that those people are in total disregard of others and are determined to have they're own way without any concern for others.

I feel exactly the same way.

I don't go out of my way to make a fuss out of those who don't follow instructions but I do get upset internally. I really do believe that there is no "bad" seat. Especially for 3-D shows. I can understand if you're maybe watching Beauty and the Beast or Hall of Presidents though. Either way... you just DON'T push people around just to take a seat right in the middle of the theater and then make people hobble over you so they can actually follow the instructions that they were given.

It must be terribly uncomfortable to be the culprit and just sit there in the middle of the aisle while people are stepping on you and actually HEAR a CM say "please move all the way down to the end of the aisle."

Imagineer1981
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM

I can't agree more...in fact we sometimes stand right by the people and stare at them...it makes them very uneasy! he he...but in all honesty, if the pre show is packed, guess what, the theater will be too. If its 9:30 at night and their are 20 families, you can bet you will have a choice seat, but otherwise do as Disney says

Laughin' place
04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I am always offended when others can't follow simple requests, or think they are "too good" to go with the program. As Sam the Eagle says:
"stopping in the middle of the row is distinctly unpatriotic" !:sam:

lightyearfan
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Disney (or anywhere you are given directions) are not generally done to make it hard on people. Quite the contrary; It is to make it easier, safer, and more enjoyable for everyone. The time between many shows is very limited and having people sit where ever they feel like it is very inefficient. One instance that comes to mind is a full house at Mickey's Philharmagic. Every seat will be filled and they have to wait for everyone to sit down or look for some empty seat somewhere. It gets ridicules and it is terribly rude to force people to hunt for a seat. There may be some that are better but I think Disney has done a terrific job setting up all their theaters.

your not in the minority i totally agree with everything that you stated.

Victor

joonyer
04-14-2008, 03:33 PM
This has always been one of my pet peeves about WDW guests. Like many others posting here, we just avoid standing next to the doors during the wait for the theater to open. There are always plenty of WDW newbies who will crowd up to the doors trying to be the first through the doors. On the other hand, if you do get stuck at the end of the row, the view is still great. The theaters are designed with no bad seats.

KAJUNKING
04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
As Sam the Eagle says:
"stopping in the middle of the row is distinctly unpatriotic" !:sam:
very funny! and true, gotta love sam eagle :sam: