PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me?

elmjimmlm
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
This will be our 4th year going with our kids...Now my dd is 6 and she will ride everything...this year she will be tall enough to ride RRC...I am usually not taunted too much in years past about riding because of my fears...I have a feeling this year will be different...Can you help me with ways that maybe overcome my fears of these rides...I can think at home that I will do it when I get there but when I am there and see the rides up close I back down...I do want to ride but my fears take over...Are there any tips that you have that helped you with fears of these rides?...:listen:

Jasper
04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Something like that is tough to deal with no matter what you try. My suggestion would be to try not to "over think" the whole thing. I realize that is easier said than done but whatever you can do to not think about the ride the easier it will be to get on. Same thing when you are waiting in line.

Try to pick a time when the lines are at their shortest so you don't have a whole lot of time to think about what you are about to do while standing in line. While standing in line try to think and talk about things other than the ride.

Good luck!!

crazypoohbear
04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I always remind myself that it's only 90 seconds of my life. :mickey:
Then I rationalize that disney has way better safety checks than the local carnival and odds are in my favor that the ride is completely safe.:thumbsup:
Then I think, I don't want to look like a wimp in front of my kids. :secret:
Then I think, I'm braver than my sisters :D
Then I think... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Then away we go!!!!!!
Then it's over, I'm alive and my kids think I'm the coolest parent :thumbsup:

BluewaterBrad
04-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Just do it! :thumbsup::mickey:

IloveDisney71
04-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Then I rationalize that disney has way better safety checks than the local carnival and odds are in my favor that the ride is completely safe.:thumbsup:
Then I think... I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. Then away we go!!!!!!

I love these ideas!

I braved the ToT for my DD - she talked me into it. If I can survive that, you can survive RnRC! It's actually my favorite ride at Disney.
You can do it!!!

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I was just talking with someone who was with their 5 yr old granddaughter. He just told her that all the people going on are coming off...so it can't be that bad!

good luck:thumbsup:

busterthebronco
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
my sister was allways talked into it by standing near the exit and dad would say "see, everyone who got on lived so lets go give it a try".
if that didnt work we would just dare her.
if still no we would just call her names.
usually the worse we got the more hard headed she got.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
04-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Just get on the rides and have fun!!

How many times have you seen your kids get on and off the rides, in perfect shape, hooping and hollering about how much fun it was????

Your missing out on a lot of fun, for what???

If by chance your the only one to fly off into "never, never land", or shot through the roof at the Hollywood Towers, are you going to know it??? I doubt it !!!!

There are some fear in riding some of the rides, but that's what makes 'em so fun !!!!

HairyBear
04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
We never know what is going to happen tommorrow. As long as you are physically able to ride you should. No matter how long the line is. Who knows if you will ever be back again? So just do it! If you don't like it I'm sure the rest of your party will be happy to have a designated bag holder!:D

'Everyone is free to wear sunscreen'

There was a song back in I think 2000 by Baz Luhrman. In the song he talks about all kinds of advice people give. Begining with advice to wear suncreen. One thing is to do something that scares you. After all of the advice he finishes with 'trust me on the sunscreen'.

Buttercup
04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
What is your fear based on? Is it a fear that the ride is going to break suddenly and you're going to get hurt? Or is it a fear of a loss of control?

The truth is, you're not going to get hurt on the rides at WDW. You're just NOT. They aren't rickety old carnival rides that some carnie unloaded off a truck and put together that morning. These are really sophisticated, cool works of art! Honestly. As far as feeling out of control, well, I can't explain it. The best way I can put it is that the thrill rides at WDW feel really "controlled" if that makes any sense. When the rollercoaster goes around a bend, you don't feel like it's dangerously going to fly off the track. You feel secure and excited at the same time, like "Wow! Look at us go!" :D
It's entirely different at WDW than other theme parks.

Putting all the speed and flashing lights aside, just the theming of the rides is incredibly well done. You know how the slower rides at Disney World have so much to see, the music is great, and you're just totally into the experience? The thrill rides are just the same! They're not just rollercoasters and dropping elevators. They are packed with such special effects, that I think you're really missing out if you don't experience them at least once.

irish1967
04-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Our general rule of thumb is to "try it" at least once.

If you try it and really don't like it than you can always choose to do something else while the rest of the family goes on the thrill rides. But at least that way you can say that you did it once and are choosing to not do it again.

Good luck - and remember, if you really DON'T want to ride a ride, you really don't have to!

thrillme
04-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I can't imagine being AFRAID of a ride and NOT being afraid of driving in "traffic" everyday.

Riding in the car to get to Disney or to the airport is a MILLION + times more dangerous than any ride could possibly be and operate as long as it has.

My best solution to getting over the fear of riding any ride is to ride it FIVE times. After about the second or third time you almost anticipate every turn and you could just about take a nap.

Disneyatic
04-11-2008, 04:16 PM
My daughter has these same type of fears. When we aren't there she talks about the rides and decides she is going to try it, but when we are actually in front of or in line for the ride, the fear (or uncertainty) sets in and she changes her mind.
I think it's the fear of the unknown. You don't know what to expect or how scary it's going to be and that uncertainty makes it seem scarier than it probably would actually be.
Probably the best way to conquer that fear is to actually try the ride at least 1 time. You may hate it, but at least you will know for sure and you will know why you hate it.
On the other hand, you may love it and kick yourself for waiting so long to try it (I am hoping this is the route DD takes on our next trip!)
Try discussing your fears with your family and ask them to support (force) you on the ride, hopefully after that initial ride you won't have any doubts/fears anymore!
Also, have you tried looking up the rides on Youtube so you can see what happens in them and maybe have a better idea of what to expect?

SandmanGStefani24
04-12-2008, 01:04 AM
the toughest part of RRc is the initial takeoff. this is great, because once that is over, the rest is just a blur of spins and turns. it's so fast you really don;t know which way you're going. just get past the first few seconds and you're golden.

katzctkpt
04-13-2008, 09:40 PM

Just do it! :thumbsup::mickey:

Our general rule of thumb is to "try it" at least once.

If you try it and really don't like it than you can always choose to do something else while the rest of the family goes on the thrill rides. But at least that way you can say that you did it once and are choosing to not do it again.

Good luck - and remember, if you really DON'T want to ride a ride, you really don't have to!

A lot of good advice here maybe you should take it.

elmjimmlm
04-13-2008, 09:43 PM
A lot of good advice here maybe you should take it.
I can take it, its just hard to do it when I am there...Right now I am ready to ride it all...:blush: