PDA

View Full Version : $10 Million or WDW?

letsdoitagain
04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
If somebody offered you $10 million dollars but you couldn't ever visit WDW or any other Disney theme park again for the rest of your life!

I'd have to take the $10 million, but my days would probably be filled with sadness knowing I would never get back to the happiest place on earth again!

Sorry Moderators! I just figured out how to make a poll, I think. Feel free to delete the other post.

SBETigg
04-10-2008, 02:43 PM
My life experiences are worth more than money. Not that I couldn't use the money, but it would make me heartsick to not go back to WDW. I choose WDW.

jwallace378
04-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I'd take the money. Lots of bills to pay off. Then I could vacation anywhere else in the world.

darthmacho
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
It is a tough thing to agree not to go to WDW, but $10million would mean probably never working again and there are millions of places around the world to visit. I'd owe it to my kids to take the money, assuming that the ban only applied to me, perhaps someday they could go with their families. :mickey:

Gator
04-10-2008, 02:51 PM
What good is money if you can't got to WDW? I dont know about the rest of you, but I work hard so that I can have enough money to go to WDW every other year. It makes work worth doing when it had such noble ends.

letsdoitagain
04-10-2008, 02:58 PM
I almost forgot, there's no using the money to build your favorite attraction in your back yard or anything else to get have both.:mickey:

JMTStone
04-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm taking WDW. What's the use of having the money when I can't enjoy it.

Now how about 5 millon AND I can go to WDW!:secret:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-10-2008, 03:13 PM
It'd be Disney for me too. I couldn't imagine a world without Disney World. I'd probably go insane.

mouselover93
04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
i would die wihout wdw. money is printed everyday but disney parks are the best in the world

BluewaterBrad
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I have not voted yet. Very tough decision! :mickey:

BMan62
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Can't really answer this. Right now, WDW is the stress relief for my working life. $10M would allow me to quit my job, so no stress. BUT, I really don't think I could live without the magic, now that I've found it.

Split the difference - $5M AND WDW once per year and I''l be in 'hog heaven.'

mickeys_princess_mom
04-10-2008, 03:36 PM
What good is money if you can't got to WDW? I dont know about the rest of you, but I work hard so that I can have enough money to go to WDW every other year. It makes work worth doing when it had such noble ends.
Absolutely! That's why I came to work today!!!:high5:

LauraF
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm assuming this is 10 mil tax free (otherwise it's totally not worth it). I probably would take the money. I've been to WDW a bunch of times and nothing will ever be able to remove the memories. I can call them up and go back in my mind anytime I want to.

But darn it would be a hard decision.

cal5755
04-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Hands down I would take WDW. We scrimp and save every penny to go to the world. I think that is half of what makes it so fun for us. We deserve our vacation because we work so hard for it. Even the kids work hard and give up other things for Disney trips. They start planning the next trip on the plane ride home from the last trip. No amount of money would ever be worth giving up all the magic Disney gives us.

In 2001 illness and injury to me and my husband wiped out our savings and we lost everything and ended up homeless with our 2 children. The only thing we had was each other as we entered a shelter together. We know what it is like to have nothing material. In 2002 after a lot of hard work we were back on our feet in a little apartment and expecting our 3rd surprise. In 2003 after a small settlement and the birth of our dd we used a portion of the settlement for a much needed and much deserved vacation to Disney. It was the most wonderous magical vacation ever. Lots of tears of happiness as we watched our childrens faces glow with smiles. There is so much more to Disney then just a fun vacation. The magic has the power to heal....broken spirits especially. We got a lot of grief for not putting that money into savings but I do not regret our decision at all. I never thought we would go back again but we decided we would put all spare change into a jar marked Disney Trip... in 2 years we were back in the World. This september will be our 4th trip. No amount of money could ever keep us from Disney. The fun, the togetherness, the happiness, the memories and the magic are worth more than money.

I think I am emotionally attached to Disney. Every trip has my whole family filled with wonder and excitement, innocence and silliness. I can't think of another place on earth that does that for everyone in the family at the same time.

HAA HAA... now 20 minutes later you know 10 million dollars pales in comparison to Disney in my eyes lol.

WriteDisney
04-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, I wouldn't take a job I would hate doing just because it was more money, why would I take money that required me to quit something I love :cloud9:

That's like asking for one of my legs.. I can't do it! :thumbsup:

Plus.. you can always just play the lottery... :secret:

EDIT: CAL5755 thats an amazing story and I think it just proves that money doesn't buy happiness :mickey:

Disneyatic
04-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Cal5755, your story made me get a lump in my throat! What a wonderful testimonial to the importance of love and perserverance!

I voted for WDW, I think this is honestly one of the first times I had to really consider the question of money or...... It's usually "I'd take the money" but I can't imagine never being able to go back to Disney!

BriarRose0708
04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I lived for 23 years never going to Disney, so I think I'd be ok with taking the 10 Mil. Then I could just build a "greatest hits" park and pay someone to build a park just for me with my favorite rides in it!:mickey:

SoaringDisney
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok I voted before I read the part that said I could never go to DW again if I accepted the $$$. I may have to change that answer!

Mickey91
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
WDW. I always say that if I win the lottery I am heading to Disney forever. What good would the money be if I couldn't complete the dream??

GrmGrninGost
04-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I would love to have ten million dollars! But, I don't. I am still perfectly happy. I have a great life. And, I go to WDW yearly. This trip (or trips) is the high light of our year (usually). I don't think any amount of money could buy the memories we have made at WDW or will make in the future! :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Money is to provide enjoyment in life but where's the enjoyment without WDW?

kbean
04-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Wow, this is a tuff one. Man, never visit disney, but be rich. Man, i think i would pick disney...unless they put the cash right in front me.

BritCody
04-11-2008, 07:14 AM
With two kids nearing college in the next few years I would owe it to them to take the money. Plus it doesn't say that our family couldn't go to Disney. I would be happy knowing that they could still go to WDW and that we have financial freedom

Spaceship Tigger
04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I don't think this is a hard question. Not being able to go to WDW anymore would be terrible, but it's not something that would cause me to go into depression or anything. The money, on the other hand, would be life changing. I'd be able to spend a lot of time seeing parts of the world I've never seen before. I'm pretty sure I would get over not being at WDW.

julyjewel
04-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Only my husband would come up with this kind of post. I would take Disney. After all, money isn't everything. Vacations are good forgetting about problems, too much money just creates problems.

RAIDER
04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
I would take the money and go to Universal and Seaworld and Busch instead :D

Sammyjo
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I would pick WDW. It is my favorite place on earth. :cloud9: I do like the 5 mill and allowed to go to Disney that would great. :mickey:

DDuck66
04-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Money only eliminates some of the problems....Disney gets rid of them all at least until you have to leave.

Gooftroop5
04-11-2008, 10:11 AM
I voted for WDW yes the $10 million would be nice but since money can't buy happiness & I get happiness from going to WDW why trade. Also $ doesn't last forever but my memories of taking my kids & eventually their kids will last forever.

Since my $1 and a dream is to be able to take a drive cross country over a summer with dh & my 3 kids & go to DisneyLand when we get to the other coast I will just keep hoping to win the lottery. :fingers::tink:

Disneymom4ever
04-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Hands down, I would pick WDW, I didn't even have to think about that one. Could we use the money? Absolutely! But I couldn't even imagine not being able to plan and go to WDW, even if it were only every 5 yrs! Now my DH wouldn't think twice about the money. As a matter of fact, he said he was tired of WDW, and he hadn't been there in 4 yrs! I just don't get it!

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
04-11-2008, 11:27 AM
I almost forgot, there's no using the money to build your favorite attraction in your back yard or anything else to get have both.:mickey:

I lived for 23 years never going to Disney, so I think I'd be ok with taking the 10 Mil. Then I could just build a "greatest hits" park and pay someone to build a park just for me with my favorite rides in it!:mickey:

10 mil won't buy much of an attraction, those things are very expensive!

I'd have to say I would take the money and let my parents take my girls to WDW.

Shugoondola
04-11-2008, 11:29 AM
As much as I love WDW, I think I'd have to take the $10 million (assuming it's tax-free!) :(

:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-11-2008, 11:44 AM

:nono: :laughing:

CrazyStitch
04-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I'd take the money. Then I'd take part of the money and create a whole new identity, and go to WDW under that name :D :plot:

BandMan
04-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I took the $$$. The world shocase is nice, but I'd love to go see the real thing! :thumbsup:

Seasonscraps
04-11-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think this is a hard question. Not being able to go to WDW anymore would be terrible, but it's not something that would cause me to go into depression or anything. The money, on the other hand, would be life changing. I'd be able to spend a lot of time seeing parts of the world I've never seen before. I'm pretty sure I would get over not being at WDW.

I feel the same way. This was a no brainer for me. I have been to WDW a bunch of times but there's a whole world out there to see. I don't even think I would miss not going to Disney.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-11-2008, 01:58 PM
This was a tough one.

At first I was all for taking the $$, there is so much that would change in my life with that much $$!

Then, I started thinking of all of the important things that have happened to our family at Disney...we got engaged, went back for our honeymoon, and had our first real family vacation at Disney...it would be so horrible to think that we could never go back.

As horrible as it would be, I still would have to take the $$...there is a whole world out there, just waiting to be explored!

thrillme
04-11-2008, 01:58 PM

I hear ya! I'd have to take the money. The biggest thing I'd miss is not being able to take my grandkids to Disney but...my DS is only 12 so I still have quite a few years to enjoy that 10 Million. :D Nothing would stop me from sending my DS and his future family to Disney then sending me 10 Million pictures of themselves and then we all meet up at the new future Harry Potter Park and Universal.

Besides there's LOTS of stuff to do all over the world. I'd love to stay in the TARZAN suite treehouse in Brazil.

caryrae
04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Money actually does buy happiness, since you need money to go on a Disney Vacation. We have wonderful places all over the world that deserve some attention.

I choose the money, since I couldn't do disney anymore it would force me to go out and see what the rest of the world has to offer. One of my favorite memories was doing a road trip when I was young going out west and visiting the National Parks, Rocky Mountains, Grand Canyon ect. If I had 10 million dollars I go get a very nice RV and travel the county with my wife. Even though they are no where near the same as Disney I could still get my theme park fix at other places.

Belle_0717
04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
$10 million would be great BUT . . . . . . . . . .
what happens to the DVC membership - that would all go down the tubes. I guess I could pay it off for the family but never being at WDW with or without the family - I COULDN'T DO IT!

WriteDisney
04-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Money actually does buy happiness, since you need money to go on a Disney Vacation.

I was very interested in what you said, because I think that the statement itself is true, but it didn't feel completely accurate to me. FEEL being the keyword here. I think it lacks a certain emotional quality that might not be verifiable. So, before you read on, just know that I agree with your statement, I just think for me (and I think many other people) its not that simple. I'm really not looking to get into an argument either. I agree with you, I just think theres another perspective out there as well, and its not that cut and dry (at least not for me).

I actually googled the phrase and found a money magazine article that discussed the relationship between money and happiness. They said it obviously exists, why else would any of us work? The article stemed from an add for an expensive can that said "
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness isn't spending it right."

The article then asked if it was true.. if money = happiness.. how come your "401k, five bedroom apartment and promotion" (their words .. not mine) don't cheer you up?

And to be honest, it goes into great detail, and I'll spare you the long story. But I think the point I'm trying to get at (very slowly and painfully) is that, yes in the real world money can get you to a certain place. But...

"Money can help you find more happiness, so long as you know just what you can and can't expect from it."

Which I find to be completely true. I went abroad last summer to Europe. I saw some cities and it was very exciting, but it paled in comparison to a trip to disneyworld with my loved ones. At least in an emotion connection type way.

This is certainly not true for everyone, but for me, the memories I made there are so important to me, I wouldn't trade it for any foreign city in the world. The feeling I get when I see spectromagic with my DBF or his family, is the same I shared with my high school friends, elementary school friend and family, and that feeling could never be bought from me. Seeing the cities was wonderful, but I didn't get an emotional connection with anything there. I'm sure I could make new memories some place else, but it wouldn't be disney. The service, the attractions.. that magical feeling that disney can provide in every aspect of its parks.. I've never seen that any place else. The feeling I have with my family and friends, the connection it gives all of us to our childhood, it can't compare any where else..

But thats just me...

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
04-11-2008, 04:15 PM
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!1

I'd take a cool ten million, any day. That would absolutely change not only my life, but it would change my daughter, and possbly even my future grandchildren and great grandchldren's lives.

With 10 million, I could easily pay off all debts, live in a paid off house, and invest $1 million to live off. I could easily live off the interest on $1 million year after year, never touching the princpal.

Say it took another million to pay off all my debts, which it wouldn't, but that leaves another $8 million to invest and grow. If I left that $8 million alone, didn't add to it, at the end of 30 years I've got over $150 million.

I'd say I could live comfortably for the rest of my life and leave a very vast inheritance to my daughter for that.

And hey, I could vacation in Hawaii or the Carribean any time - hopefully my daughter could stlll go to Disney.

WDWgoofy
04-11-2008, 04:59 PM
C'mon...$10 million!

Hey, I love WDW is much as any of you, but if you don't choose the money then you must already have close to $10 milion.

Soul_Power
04-11-2008, 05:16 PM
As weird as it may be, this was actually a hard decision for me!

I guess for the normal, non-WDW-addict it would be an easy decision, but I really had to think about it!! At the end, though, I chose the 10 million. Siiigh..

pdrlkr
04-11-2008, 05:31 PM
WDW! You can't put a price on memories! :thumbsup: :mickey:

luvdiznee
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
10 mill would get me to DLP. :mickey:

dmosher
04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
See the point of having all that money (for me anyway) would be the bonus of going to WDW whenever I wanted to. Nope, sorry, just couldn't take the $$.
I'd rather be happy than rich and few things make me as happy as Disney!

:pipes:
D

irish1967
04-11-2008, 07:36 PM
No question - WDW everytime.

We are a middle class family surrounded by families with A LOT of money.

I have to say that we are much happier than the vast majority of the people we know.

Yes, we have to save all year for our visit to the world but those three days are some of our most magical days in the year. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Marilyn Michetti
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, I answered this once when it was still on page 1, but must have not hit "submit".

We love Disney, and look forward to our Dec. trips, BUT, $10 million would feed, house, treat, and educate an awful lot of children in third world countries.

I'd give up any future vacations and give the $$ to a charity. There are several terrific ones out there.:thumbsup:

KayDee
04-12-2008, 01:28 PM
DW and I always talk about how if we won the lottery what we would do at Disney so we are picking WDW.

Pop Centurion
04-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd take the money without thinking twice. My Mom has busted her butt most of her life. I would be able to help her finally relax and enjoy it. I'd take care of my Sister as well and see to it that my Niece goes to the best college if she chooses. Basically, my family would get everything they wanted while still having plenty to satisfy my own wants.

wdwgrl377
04-12-2008, 03:12 PM
As tempting as the money would be...I'd have to take WDW. I couldn't like other's mentioned live w/out a WDW! I know there are other places to visit, and plenty of things I could do with the money, but I have to go with: WDW !!! :mickey:

DigitalDaredevil
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Money certainly makes life easier, but it doesn't necessarily make it better.
I rather be happy than rich.

Mickey91
04-13-2008, 03:48 PM
We love Disney, and look forward to our Dec. trips, BUT, $10 million would feed, house, treat, and educate an awful lot of children in third world countries.

It would feed, house, treat and educate an awful lot of children here in the U.S.A. also. I think the US would be a lot better off if we would all consider the fact that there are people who go to bed hungry and cold and/or on the streets every night within our own communities. Once we have taken care of those right here, we would be in a much better position to help overseas. Just food for thought.:soapbox:

murphy1
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
The money. I grew up near Disney and have enough memories to last me a lifettime. I could pay someone to then take my kids b/c I have gone enough with them to see their reactions to things. For awhile in my 20's, I got to the point where if anyone wanted to go to Disney, you couldn't pay me to go, but now I love going again, mostly b/c of my kids.

LandFan
04-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Wow - tough one! I voted for WDW because I don't think I could live without it, but it is so close that tomorrow when I pay the bills I would probably flip-flop and choose the 10 Million:D

BandMan
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
I think the US would be a lot better off if we would all consider the fact that there are people who go to bed hungry and cold and/or on the streets every night within our own communities. Once we have taken care of those right here, we would be in a much better position to help overseas.

Having lived in Central America for a year and a half, I must say that while there are many who need our help in the U.S., the poverty in the Third World is on a level that many here cannot even imagine. While it is awful to have so many Americans living in shelters, getting food from food shelves, and medical care from emergency rooms, it was much worse to watch people die because there were NO shelters, food shelves or public hospitals. We are far too nearsighted for a country that has been so richly blessed. :soapbox: Now I can get off my soapbox.

Ian
04-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Honestly, people can call me a liar but I'd turn down the $10 million.

Whenever people ask the question, "What would you do if you won $x million?" my first answer is always, "I'd move into a suite at the Grand Floridian and live in WDW full time."

It wouldn't get me anything to have that money if I couldn't spend it the way I wanted to. Plus, I would never deprive my kids of the ability to visit their favorite place on Earth.

Honestly, we're fortunate that my and my wife's income allow us to live a very comfortable lifestyle as is. Having "money" isn't really that important to me, because I have enough as it is.

I'll take WDW, thank you very much. Memories and family fun win out over cold hard cash for me every time.

poeticeclipse
04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Just reading the responses got me a little emotinal. Everyone has a very strong reason for feeling the way that they do. It's really interesting.

I grew up with watching my mom struggle to make ends meet working a factory job after my dad died when I was 6. Money has always been a huge topic with my mother and I. We fought when I was in junior high and I was quite bitter about the fact that she didn't have to money to buy me the things that I wanted and take me to places that I wanted to see. I eventually grew out of it all with my mother and now I totally respect her for doing what she had to do to keep us happy and healthy. I've seen my mother practically drown in debt and now that she's 60 it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I always felt that if my mom had money we would have not fought as much and my life would have been much better. That is, until I figured out what REAL happiness is.

I wasn't lucky enough growing up to get to go to WDW every year like some kids I grew up with. I went once in the 4th grade and once in the 7th grade. In high school I went to MK twice with church groups and then I was old enough to earn my own money to go every year from then up till now. My husband and I got married a year ago and i'm very lucky that he shares in a love for WDW. He is one person that "gets me" and my obsession.

Bottom line...
When i'm at WDW it's like everything is just in its right place. Like there is no outside world. It's as though there is no such thing as "sadness." My family can't stay mad at each other if we tick one another off. The happiness and joy is infectious. There is no where else in the entire world that gives me the feeling of pure joy. I wait an entire year to get to go to WDW again and feel that joy. Even though i'm there for only one week... it is the best week out of the entire year. No video gaming system, mansion, or expensive car would ever give me the happiness that WDW gives me. There is only one WDW and i'd never ever give it up.

joonyer
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I'd have to take the $10 million, so I could retire and travel. There are plenty of other great places to visit on vacation in the "real" world, that I will probably never be able to visit. I'd really miss WDW though. Tough choice.