PDA

View Full Version : Pooling $ Together to get more points?

OhToodles!
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
DH & I are considering becoming DVC memebers and his parents go just as much (if not more) than we do. We're not sure if they would want to join, but want to know if we can all go in together and that way get more points, especially since we vacation together usually anyway. I hope this makes sense.

JMTStone
04-10-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't see why all four of you can't be on a single ownership to pool the points. I'm gonna look at my documents when I get home to see if there is a limit on co-owners. Otherwise, someone smarter than me should be along very soon.

DVC Mike
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Just be aware that if either couple ends up getting a divorce, filing bankruptcy or gets in trouble with the IRS, the DVC membership will probably end up getting sold. That's the biggest risk with a joint purchase.

Ian
04-10-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm 99.999% certain that there's nothing limiting you from doing that. I'm pretty sure Christine (Hammer) joined in partnership with her sister. If she can do that I see no reason you can't join with your in-laws.

It definitely complicates the ownership situation should something go wrong, though, and you better be darn sure that you're capable of agreeing on how to use the points before you buy them. Don't jump in to it with them simply because you think it's more affordable to do it that way and you really, really want to join. Think it through all the way ....... maybe a better option is waiting for a few years to buy until you can afford it on your own.

TinaT
04-10-2008, 06:35 PM
You can all go in together and join to get more points. My mother, my cousin and I did that. All names are on all the paperwork.

OhToodles!
04-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone!

I thought of a different way to go about this: what if we both get memberships, can we both use our points to stay together in a bigger place?

Seasonscraps
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes, once a year you can transfer points to another DVC account. My DH & BIL just did this to bok a big family trip.