PDA

View Full Version : A new ride, but keep it classic.

kbean
04-10-2008, 12:41 AM
All these new interactive rides and technology put in them are amazing and fun. But I love to see disney go back to its roots and build just an oldschool style ride like POTC,HM, WOM, horizons. You know, ones with a story and AA's, last more than 3mins. But, thats my opinion.

Melanie
04-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. The Monster's, Inc. ride at California Adventure kinda falls into your description. It's a great "new" dark ride. :sulley:

Ian
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Totally agree ... my memo to WDI for their next big attraction in WDW is "Keep it dark!"

They're sorely in need of putting together a big, bold new AA-laden attraction that stands up to the old school ones like HM and PotC.

When you think about it, the last truly great AA attraction they did was probably Splash Mountain and that was done like 15 or 16 years ago.

letsdoitagain
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree...I also wish that WDW fantasy land had more rides like in Disneyland. They have Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland and I believe they still have Mr. Toad!

1DisneyNut
04-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree. I'm not real wild about some of the newer rides. I miss Mr. Toad btw.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm with you!

New rides are always welcome (except...maybe Stitch), but no one does a dark ride better than Disney, and it would be great to see a classic-type ride that takes advantage of all of the modern technology!

JabberJaws
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I agree! I believe a good example of what you guys are talking about (though on a smaller scale) is Nemo over at Epcot. I think it was a really well done dark ride that combined new technology (projection screens and the robotic arm that controls the Angler Fish) with classic dark ride effects. The only thing is it is a bit short b/c they had limited space to work with.

I am curious to see what the Little Mermaid dark ride going in at DCA will be like. I was hoping it would be like the version that you can experience on the LM dvd, though now it seems it is going to be more stationary as opposed to the suspended style.

DL definitely one-ups WDW in new dark rides with the likes of Roger Rabbit, MI, NSV (yes the submarine ride counts as a dark ride IMHO, albeit an elaborate one) and the upcoming LM ride.

Time for WDW to catch up!

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
04-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I've been waiting to post this and I think this is the perfect thread to do it in...

There needs to be a Mary Poppins dark ride. A true Disney (not Pixar) classic with lots of great music. It deserves much better than the very static, one room they give it in the Great Movie Ride (ever notice the steel bar that anchors Mary to the wall? - not very well done).

They could incorporate the laughing room scene with something similar to Pooh's ride (i.e. rising and falling as jokes are told). They could also incorporate their new Nemo ride technology and have AAs of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke dancing alongside the animated penguins, etc.

And instead of sailing ships that fly you around in Peter Pan's ride, you guessed it - a ride vehicle with an umbrella over the top.

I think they are missing a great opportunity here for a ride that could be placed in either Fantasyland or Britain in Epcot.

Seriously, have they ever considered this? If so, why wasn't it built? Wouldn't it be nice to see the two stars cut the ribbon on this ride while they are still with us? It certainly would garner a lot of press coverage.

Let me know what you think.

DNS
04-10-2008, 11:21 AM
But I love to see disney go back to its roots and build just an oldschool style ride like POTC,HM, WOM, horizons. You know, ones with a story and AA's, last more than 3mins. But, thats my opinion.
Agree completely. I think this is exactly what Disney has been missing in more recent years. It seems the newer rides are either a quick clone of something else, or a big thrill. Don't get me wrong, I love the big thrills and it helps Disney stay competitive, but I would love to see something new that requires some serious thought and that all or most people of any age would really enjoy.

battle beast
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Yah! A new ride but something OTHER THAN PIXAR. I mean, I like their movies, but that's ALL we get anymore! It's a bit much. How about a CHIP AND DALE ride??? :chip::chipdale::dale:

senderella
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I've been waiting to post this and I think this is the perfect thread to do it in...

There needs to be a Mary Poppins dark ride. A true Disney (not Pixar) classic with lots of great music. It deserves much better than the very static, one room they give it in the Great Movie Ride (ever notice the steel bar that anchors Mary to the wall? - not very well done).

They could incorporate the laughing room scene with something similar to Pooh's ride (i.e. rising and falling as jokes are told). They could also incorporate their new Nemo ride technology and have AAs of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke dancing alongside the animated penguins, etc.

And instead of sailing ships that fly you around in Peter Pan's ride, you guessed it - a ride vehicle with an umbrella over the top.

I think they are missing a great opportunity here for a ride that could be placed in either Fantasyland or Britain in Epcot.

Seriously, have they ever considered this? If so, why wasn't it built? Wouldn't it be nice to see the two stars cut the ribbon on this ride while they are still with us? It certainly would garner a lot of press coverage.

I am right there with you. I have always thought Mary Poppins would be a great ride. I have even thought about the umbrella vehicles that wisk you off like Peter Pan. Fly over the chimney sweeps, fly with the kites, and of course we could end the ride with a merry-go-ride.
I love the idea!

mickeys_princess_mom
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Oh, I'm SO-O-O with you on wanting a Mary Poppins ride!!! And I almost cried when I read the part about the ribbon-cutting idea!Julie Andrews is my absolute favorite!
I've always wanted to ride the carousel horses in the Jolly Holiday scene!! Wouldn't that be a cool way to go through the scenes in the movie?:cloud9:

Disneyatic
04-10-2008, 12:27 PM
I agree 100% that Mary Poppins would be an awesome ride! It has so much material that could be incorporate! You could "pop" into a chalk picture, walk up the chimney smoke steps, go through the nursery cleaning scene. That is my absolute #1 favorite movie and I have passed the love on to my daughter. It's a classic that could really make a fun and immersive ride.
In my opinion, Fantasyland is the least themed section of the whole MK (that might be a subject for a whole other thread!). Adding something new would spruce it up a bit.

autumn
04-10-2008, 01:19 PM
and i thought i was the only one who loved dark rides! this is exciting. i couldn't agree more with the need to build a fantastic, full-scale dark ride, one that lasts at least 10 minutes.

i grew up going to disney world, and i moved to LA a couple of yeras ago, so i have the pleasure of frequently enjoying the ones that have been mentioned. monsters, inc. is my favorite because of the attention to detail, but i also would like to see something built around a disney classic. i would really enjoy being immersed in the scenes from cinderella (i imagine a nice ballroom scene with all the stairs and a fun fairy godmother bit with wand sparkles) or the awesome mary blair designs of sleeping beauty, but i guess snow white already has the market on the princess ride.

maybe aladdin. the carpet ride in adventureland doesn't do the movie justice.

CleveSJM
04-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I consider Dinosaur there last AA dark ride. Also, the new Nemo ride is a dark ride with 21st century "AA"'s. The computer projected AA's.

Herbie seems like a better option to me than MP. More of a franchise that gets updated every decade or so.

jwallace378
04-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah...I'd like to see one with the Lion King

beksy
04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I am totally in agreement with you all! The Mary Poppins idea is wonderful :thumbsup: and I could think of enough other classic Disney ride ideas to come up with a whole land in Fantasyland! They just do not get enough representation IMHO. We need a Little Mermaid ride and the other Princesses too (especially my personal fav, Beauty and the Beast--the storytelling is just not enough! :shake:) Also 101 Dalmations (and Cruella ;) could use some representation and while we're at it, lets put Mr. Toad back in! :clappy: Of course, keep Pooh though (I LOVE that ride!) I'm not asking too much right? :blush: Seriously I love the thrill rides and Pixar but let's get back to the classics for awhile (not to mention kid-friendly).

elmjimmlm
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I miss 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea...I would love to have my children see this as I saw it when I was their age...:mickey:

kbean
04-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Mary Poppins' would be great. Also Alice in Wonderland could be really fun.

BritCody
04-11-2008, 07:26 AM
I agree with many of you, just as long as it is not Pixar. A dark ride, be it Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, Robin Hood, or Alice In Wonderland!!!

speedmouse93
05-19-2008, 09:59 PM
How about a Lion King ride or even A Timon and Pumba ride would be pretty cool.