PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Family Kingdom?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sorcerer2009
04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Anybody look into this yet? My son just called me at work and said he pre-registered his vmk ID.

My first gut reaction was that someone was trying to capture vmk names but I guess without a password it wouldn't do them any good. I'm still a little leery that they could recreate the experience in shut a short time. If it is legit, then :thumbsup:

Tinkermom
04-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Very interesting...

I am a bit leary as well. I think I will wait a bit before I let the kids try it to see if it is legit. If it turns out to be legit then I agree - :thumbsup:

RenDuran
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I took a look at the site. I'm intrigued, but also not convinced that it's comparable to the vmk experience....or even that it's truly an honest company. I guess I could always use a vmk mule and see what happens!

chrisb26
04-09-2008, 05:40 PM
If this is the real deal it would be neat. But I'm not convinced. So I guess we'll see. If you do do the pre-register I would say use a different game alias then you do in VMK. I don't see what they could steal since you're not giving them a password or anything.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see although it does look like a rip off of VMK lol

Blue Genie
04-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Something don't smell right with that. I wouldn't do it. That is the Mad Hatter room for sure. It's like that one country that has Snow White statue and has mascots of Donald and Minnie and they said that it isn't sopost to be them. I think this is a way to get little kids to put there info in and be taken away. So don't do it.

jjramsey
04-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I checked the site registration and the site is owned by a fellow in New Mexico.

It looks promising, but if it is to close to VMK, he is going to have a tough ride, since Disney doesn't like emulation/competition...even if it is something they close down:shrug:

Patricia
04-09-2008, 07:29 PM
There has been info going around about this site for a couple of days now. The site is privately owned, but that doesn't mean it isn't legit. As I was mentioning to some others.. Club Penguin was started by a couple of Dads here in Kelowna, with no Corporation behind them either.

VFK will be free to use.. with limited access. To get full features you will need a paid subscription. Read the terms of service.

Here at ICot we can't endorse this site as we know nothing about it or the owners.

Please use caution when registering on any site and use an email address that you wouldn't use for anything else. They are not requesting passwords at this time.

The fact that it looks so similar to vmk, makes me wonder if Disney will be after them to close it soon.

Note: Because this is not a Disney owned site, our VMK forum will not switch to VFK should it turn out to be legitimate. :)

GoodJuJu
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I am in the process of checking out this site. It appears to be legit, however I am concerned because they are using a castle logo that looks very "Disney."

Our children have pre-registered their names. That part seemed harmless. However, they do request an email address. This could be a virus waiting to spread.

My question is why does Disney always close the wonderful attractions? America Sings, Country Bears, Sky Way, etc. If VMK is so successful why would they even consider closing? The other sites that have been suggested by VMK seem to cost money for the "better" versions.

BronxTigger
04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Note: Because this is not a Disney owned site, our VMK forum will not switch to VFK should it turn out to be legitimate. :)

So, what WILL happen to the VMK forums? We all have to keep in touch somehow!

Patricia
04-09-2008, 11:41 PM
We will try to make the transition as painless as possible by keeping the Inside Out Box open after the closure date.. :thumbsup:

Tinkermom
04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Another Disney board is deleting all of the threads about VFK out of "concern for their members". They are saying it is just too soon to see if this is legit and for folks to be very cautious. The person who started the VFK site has a New Mexico AND a New Jersey address (figgy is that YOU?;)) and I noticed that the NM address has a NEW JERSEY phone number. There are also 2 different last names (same first name of "Fred") with the same e-mail address. I know that these could be set up this way just to protect his identity. I imagine you would not want people to know where you really reside. However, I am definitely waiting and having the kids wait on this one.

Patricia
04-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Yes, as I mentioned. Be very cautious. Don't send money yet.

I'm not deleting this as a precautionary measure for our members.

This Fred guy has posted to another site and claims to be the game developer. To me it looks like they are trying to cash in on VMK's demise. Although he claims he's been working on it for a year.. we've never heard of it till now. The fact that it's a pay to play is iffy. There is still a chance people will send credit card info upon the game opening only to get ripped off later.

I plan to keep an eye on what comes through the email account I sent them.

Sorcerer2009
04-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Fred also owns the domains for www.openhere.com and www.virtualdesk.com. He appears to be a legit APL (A Programming Language) expert and speaker. Let's hope this is just another business venture. I think jjramsey is right though, I don't believe Disney will let an online environment pop up that is too much like a VMK clone.

Enough poking around for me, I guess I'll just sit and wait to see what happens.

WDWfanatic742
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
The game will be free, just as you have experienced. We will not be accepting advertising, as we believe this is inappropriate when children are involved. We have put together a solid business model for this effort and you can rest assured that the Virtual Family Kingdom will not disappear in three years.

So it will be free, and they currently have stopped taking applications for beta testing at 7,500 people. Pretty good for one day.

My personal opinion on this game is that as long as they keep a far enough difference in between the two games, they should be alright. The technology seems to be about the same, but it looks like they are going off a more real life and history theme against VMK using the Disney parks. For now though, you really can't tell until they provide more in-game pictures.

I'm still going to be interested in seeing Disney's views on this game when/if they decide to tell us what is actually going on with their own game.

Patricia
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
So.. the VFK Site has removed any feel of VMK it may have had yesterday.

The site looks much different now.. Beta testing is full with 7500 new members pre-registered. They claim to be parents of VMK players who decided to make their own world based on past and present environments of the wolrd.

I feel better that they have removed the mad tea party room and castle logo that would make them appear Disneyish. That was misleading for kids.

jjramsey
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
It does not sound like they are going to charge until after beta, since the full release and opening are in August. We have signed up for the beta phase and will see how things go. They closed off signups at 7,500 to limit the number of people their server has to handle during beta. As a parent, the history idea they have is very appealing...not to mention that we were in the Colonial Williamsburg area (4 hours away) two weeks ago for spring break ;)

Yes, I have my scam antenna out, but from the research I have done, I feel this is for real. I feel that their suggestion to reserve a character name you already have (VMK) scared people into thinking that they might be trying to rip them off in VMK. Another way of looking at it is...if I wanted to rip somebody off of virtual items, I certainly would not be trying to get things from a system that is going defunct in a month. Where is the 'profit' in that? If they were trying to make a scam 'profit' they would be doing credit cards ASAP without showing anything for it. Scammers want a quick in and quick exit, without a lot of effort. If a virtual world does open up, that is a lot more effort, software & hardware than your garden variety scammer would do.

If they wait until August to charge, it will give further time to investigate. If they charge initially...I am going to sniff around the edges and stick a toe in the water...gently...so for at least now, the VFK sky is not falling...

Once it gets to the charging a card time, maybe I will use a gift credit card, so there is a limit on value and it is not tied to my personal financial info.:D

...of course my druthers would be that VMK continue and survive because of the Disney theme. :mickey:

Patricia
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Fan, we must have been typing at the same time.

I'll say it again.. read the Terms Of Service. it's not all free.

quote:

REGISTRATION AND SUBSCRIPTION: Registration as a Member of the Service for free. This service includes the chat and instant messaging features in the VitualFamilyKingdom.com environment. There are enhanced Services which are available which require confirmation of age and identity and this requires that you become a subscriber and pay any related fees. This price list is part of this Agreement And We reserve the right, at any time, to change any fees or charges for using the Service. To become a Member, You must register for the Service. When and if You register to become a Member, You agree to provide accurate, current and complete information about Yourself as prompted by Our registration form ("Registration Data"), and to maintain and update Your information to keep it accurate, current and complete. You agree that We may rely on Your Registration Data as accurate, current and complete. You acknowledge that if Your Registration Data is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete in any respect, We reserve the right to terminate this Agreement and Your use of the Service and, in such event, You shall not be entitled to a refund of any unused subscription fees.

WDWfanatic742
04-10-2008, 12:05 PM
At least you should be able to talk for free...

Patricia
04-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes, it would appear talking is free.

jjramsey
04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
At least you should be able to talk for free...

I guess the old saying that talk is cheap applies :secret:

mickeynuts
04-10-2008, 12:57 PM
The fact that their website featured a very badly edited picture of a vmk room took away any legitimacy it might have appeared to have elsewhere. If these are game developers they could have drawn their own room or at the very least done a decent job editing the picture they stole from vmk. And now the room picture they have replaced it with is one I could draw in about 5 minutes. I wouldn't touch this site with a ten foot pole.

Chescat
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I don't think this site will last long. When we saw the copyright information that Yavn had submitted on VMK application, it is very strict about what people can do or make look like VMK. Disney I'm sure will shut down any look alike virtual land that they see. I'd be very careful.

terri.m
04-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Not that this means anything but a friend of Ty's (who i also know and know is an adult) says he knows the owner and it is totaly legit. Ty did apply, against my wishes, and will be a beta tester. I guess we'll wait and see but they won't be getting MY cc#...

*tinker_belle*
04-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm surprised that so many of you are willing to sign up for this site. It seems like a bad replica of VMK. The characters and rooms look like cheap graphics too. No way am i getting near it.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Meh. Paying is a turnoff for me, really :P The home page isn't all that impressive; it's not the legendary VMK replacement that everyone is hoping for, I bet. I would wait until beta is over, if it lasts that long, if anybody wants to join. At least by then beta testers can post their opinions about the website, but everyone should be careful.

jjramsey
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
The comments about the lack of quality at VFK have truth to them, but from another aspect, these appear to be parents that see the value in a place like VMK was and is abdicating. These are a group of privately funded people that see an opportunity, not a multi-billion dollar corporate entity.

What puzzles me is why Disney has pay-to-play on club penguin, but says no to the pay-to-play on VMK. VMK has the quality look and feel you expect from Disney. Club Penguin seems to be well below that level. Club Penguin has a look I might expect from a small group that is attempting to break into virtual world market!

As for VFK, 'if' they can:
- Over time create a decent virtual world
- create a fun history learning experience
- bring families together in a single program
- be affordable for all from one to a large family
- make a buck (yes make a buck). It is called see a niche, fill a niche and make a living. Isn't that what Disney does?

...then kudos and more power to them:thumbsup: Let's give them time to sink or swim. A I mentioned earlier, if Disney chooses to abdicate the field, then it falls to somebody else to pick up the torch and run. Since the disney parks and themes are copy protected, then I feel it is a good marketing move to go at it from the historical angle.

GrumpyFan
04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
As for VFK, 'if' they can:
- Over time create a decent virtual world
- create a fun history learning experience
- bring families together in a single program
- be affordable for all from one to a large family
- make a buck (yes make a buck). It is called see a niche, fill a niche and make a living. Isn't that what Disney does?

...then kudos and more power to them:thumbsup: Let's give them time to sink or swim. A I mentioned earlier, if Disney chooses to abdicate the field, then it falls to somebody else to pick up the torch and run. Since the disney parks and themes are copy protected, then I feel it is a good marketing move to go at it from the historical angle.

Agreed, if Disney chooses not to captalize on the investment they made with VMK, and someone else can, than Kudos to these guys. It will be interesting to see how well they do, but they've got some awfully big shoes to fill.

I just think it's a REALLY BAD MOVE on Disney's part, and could even cost them some loyalty "points" with some fans. Bad show Mr Iger, or whoever made this decision. It would've been much better if they had said the free VMK is over, or new accounts will cost money, or new features would require a subscription, but to just up and close something so popular sounds so Scrooge-like.

WDWfanatic742
04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
As a heads up, beta 2 registration has now started.

We are so happy to be involved in creating your new virtual world!

We have completed our review of server and bandwidth requirements for our beta phase and we are reasonably confident that we can support a larger beta program. So, we are accepting more beta pre-registrations so that you can reserve your favorite character name.

The Virtual Family Kingdom will be Free! This includes all the features you have come to love in a virtual world!

We are going to be highlighting the new rooms and settings starting tomorrow. You will have a chance to vote on the room style you like the best and help determine how the virtual environment of your new world looks.

Although they have added this on the front page, they still have the line in the Privacy Policy about credit cards and that fun stuff.

chrisb26
04-15-2008, 08:34 PM
I have signed up! Figure it can't hurt although if VMK stays I'll totally stick with it but on the chance it doesn't I need something to go to and not really liking the Penguin Game.

jjramsey
04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, I noticed the info about free vs. what is in the privacy policy. I am looking at it as beta (free as it should be) then either a charge basis after full release toward fall or maybe even have tiered capability with a free low end account and with subscriptions that add capability.

I also figure that either the privacy policy is just boiler plate style or they are leaving wiggle room just incase they need to raise money to keep it open...or forbid ;)...make a profit on what has to be a huge investment in time! After beta, I would rather a reasonable membership fee than the possibility that they get so cash strapped that this world could also implode.

jjramsey
04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I have signed up! Figure it can't hurt although if VMK stays I'll totally stick with it but on the chance it doesn't I need something to go to and not really liking the Penguin Game.

I agree, we are working under a similar assumption...better safe and play than sorry and down all summer!

Chescat
04-15-2008, 08:47 PM
I just signed up and talked Genie into it. Its a better place to find each other. :)

Its a better place I think then Penguin since Figgie didn't like it there. I did use an email that's not my primary one, just in case and Genie did the same.

JPL
04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
I signed up for Beta today :thumbsup:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Same here, just did also. :) I used missbrittany_doll for my character name :D

terri.m
04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Wherever you go I will follow. Signed up too...

wizardmickey
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Ice was sitting on a small glacier contemplating what to do, when suddenly his phine rang and he was greeted by Chescat! Knowing what a busy fellow I am, she was kind enough to alert me to this thread and the VFK Beta registration; so if my name is accepted, then the flyingiceman shall continue to rock the virtual world!

As an aside, I wholeheartedly agree about CP... Yawn! And although I love the idea of being a pirate and the graphics there are wicked cool, it still slows down my computer to a crawl and some of the tasks are a bit over my head. It's a great place to visit, but dunno if I could live there!

Chescat
04-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I just got a hold of Queen, she's going to sign up her and BrerFan. Nachocat said she signed up. Left messages for DisneyDreamin and SparkleMeTink, and going to talk to Varcity. Need to find Fluffies. :)

Ice you know you like the hacking and slashing on Pirates and also the swinging over to the flagships. Admit it!

chrisb26
04-15-2008, 11:05 PM
I signed up but never got a response in my email which I did find strange since most of the time when you sign up for things they email you with a confirmation so I sent them a message to contact us and they sent me a response and it only took about 4 hours :eek: so used to a black hole it was nice.

Here is the response I got:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your question. No, we do not send an email confirmation, if
you received the confirmation page after registering you have successfully
pre-registered for our beta program!

Thanks,

Sara
Virtual Family Kingdom

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Hello all.
I have a question.
I don’t understand, If you dont mind me asking
Are you joining a new place?:blush:

terri.m
04-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Yes Pirate alot signed up for the beta program. If we lose and VMK closes I'll be trying VFK instead of the other games disney is offering.

TinkRocks
04-16-2008, 01:42 AM
I signed up for beta - let's see what happens.

KineGirl
04-16-2008, 01:44 AM
me too :fingers:

Jeremy
04-16-2008, 01:54 AM
Yes Pirate alot signed up for the beta program. If we lose and VMK closes I'll be trying VFK instead of the other games disney is offering.
Thanks Tea.

oh cool.:cool:
i have not heard of this before.
i dont know anything about it. :blush:

TinkRocks
04-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Obviously, if VMK can be saved, we shall rejoice, but VFK is the backup plan.

Chescat
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Nothing can replace VMK, but if there is some way VMK can be saved and there is a down time between closing and start up, this is at least a place to go.

I've also heard about some people on other boards saying VFK is a fraud and going to do things to your machine etc. We don't know for sure what this site is yet. All we have provided is an email (not your normal one!) and a title of a character. At this point nothing can get you. I would suggest if you are worried, to just let others play it and then we wait for the reports to come back. I also got a couple friends looking into whether its legit or not. We'll keep people up to date here if any of you guys hear anything bad.

jjramsey
04-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Yesterday, I sent the following note with some suggestions to VFK:

Our family is eagerly awaiting the release of your new game.

In the process of producing VFK we have the folloing suggestions:

Many families that we know have dial-up, so some form of optimization, or
downloadable routines would be nice.

If you have games that award something, try to keep them inside the
overall game and restricted to 'character' involvement. With VMK, some
code hackers were able to bypass the system and get scads of codes from
the code generators.

Allow boys and girls items to be traded between boys and girls. A boy's
character would not be able to wear the girl's items and vice versa, but
by having them tradable, it would cut down on 'mules' and would allow
trading between boys and girls.

In trade windows, allow a lot of items to be added to an active trade. In
VMK, only 15 items at a time could be added on each side of the trade.
Unfortunately, a lot of players got scammed when they needed to give
multiple windows of trade to another player for a single valuable item.
The scammer would accept several windows of items and then disappear
before they 'had' to give their item.

I do not know how you could keep the program free for any extended period
of time, so if you had an extended capability account that people pay a
subscription for it would help defray expenses. please keep in mind that
families would probably have multiple users, so please keep it economical
by having a base first person price and then add-on price for each
additional.

Thanks for all the effort you are putting into this!
If you need any part-time online staff/help, our family would love to
assist you,

Jeff

In less than 24 hours they responded with:

Hi Jeff,

I really appreciate your kind note. It was a joy to receive.

We are using the latest technology from Adobe for Flash, which is the AS3
language. This means it will run smoother and faster in your browser and
be a smaller download.

In addition, Adobe has released a new product named AIR for developers to
use when building flash applications. AIR makes it possible to have the
flash application work on your desktop outside of the browser. This will
be great for those with a dial-up connection.

We agree with your suggestions, and have had quite a number of requests to
make it possible for boys to buy or trade for girl items, but to not be
able to wear them, and vice versa. We are definitely making this part of
the system.

We have also expanded the trade window to make it easier to do large trades.

The Virtual Family Kingdom will be free, just as everyone is used to. The
great part of this project is that so many people have shared ideas about
how to create revenue to support everything we are blessed with the task
of choosing the best ones.

Thanks again,

Sara
Virtual Family Kingdom
954-349-3325

They must be getting exhausted with the development of VFK, since they responded to my email at 3 a.m. this morning. Now realizing that VMK had to deal with a lot of people, so it was iffy to get any response from an email, it was still quite amazing to get a response from VFK! It seems as if they are covering a lot of territory and potential issues right off.

...by the way...not the response I would expect from anybody trying to sneek a scam on somebody ;-)

mickeynuts
04-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I still don't understand why a legitimate game under development would use very badly edited art stolen from vmk and try to pass it off as their own.
It was only there for a day, but it was there. And what they've replaced it with could have been drawn in 5 minutes.
I still don't trust it.
:cool: Laura

*tinker_belle*
04-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm with Cita. It's so sketchy i don't trust it. I'm going to wait to hear feedback from you guys to determine if its worth my while.
Whats baffling is the fact that VFK has a petition link on their page for Save VMK. I find that odd. If VMK ends up staying, VFK will probably be down the flusher.

jjramsey
04-17-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm with Cita. It's so sketchy i don't trust it. I'm going to wait to hear feedback from you guys to determine if its worth my while.
Whats baffling is the fact that VFK has a petition link on their page for Save VMK. I find that odd. If VMK ends up staying, VFK will probably be down the flusher.

It does sound strange, but from what I can gather, their kids also love VMK and would prefer to play it. They are making a place that not only their kids can play in, but opening it up to a wider audience. Plus, I think they feel there is room for more than one game in the market even if VMK stays open. Even Disney feels there should be multiple options.

...plus, it is not like we said our 'vows' to be 'faithful' unto one game til they doth shut it down. ;) There are many on here that play PoTC and VMK. This does not make them any less loyal, if anything, they probably will not 'burn' out as easily when doing things like the weekend pirate quest!Even with VMK running, occasional I would play something else for a break, then come back to VMK. Every game has their strengths and weaknesses. Hey, the history angle might have an educational twist for our kids,:blush: and even if VMK & VFK both run...and continue to run, I would probably play some of both, even though I currently prefer VMK :mickey:

JPL
04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
What VFK did with using the VMK images was try and take advantage of the loss of VMK. Although it might be see as alittle less than ethical it was a smart business move to capitalize on the announcement in order to promote a similar product. Of course only time will tell if it is legit or not but I don't see it as anything to be scared of.

RenDuran
04-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Who voted for their favorite room on VFK?

Chescat
04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll admit I'm more into POTC Online any more since I just got tired of the same old same old with VMK. With a lot of the ways for getting credits down, it was almost impossible to get the new magic and try and quest unless you were on VMK a lot. The Gingerbread competition sealed the deal for me. I just have night times and part of the weekend. I play Pirates late at night when I'm ready to sit down and play into the wee hours of the morning. Funny part was the Pirate Quest actually got a lot of us from POTC online back to VMK, because we wanted to help each other.

My reason for saving VMK or finding another game like VKF is selfish. I want to keep my VMK friends (especially ones that can't play pirates) and be able to stay with them. We've become a family and I don't want to lose the ability to see an avatar. We tried Club Penguin and I guess worse case is we can play over there.

That's why I'm going to fight, protest or whatever it takes to save VMK. If that doesn't work, then VFK is going to be my answer. Yes we are montoring it to see if it is in fact safe before we do it. But we are going to find a place to land. I'm not going to lose you guys. :)

RicksCafe
04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I still don't trust it. Oh Cita....

Call me irresponsible... :spend:

Tell me I'm impractical... :bubbles:

Rainbows I'm inclined to pursue...lalala :party2:

But we're desperate here, dancer!

Come on, I'm a part-time Calvinist and even I trust these peeps. What do they have on me... a phony email address? (I mean, cough, my email, cough... Smelly VFK Watcher Monkeys!!)

Ricks (who's irresponsibly mad for... you!)

jjramsey
04-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Who voted for their favorite room on VFK?

We did. You sure have to look for the link!

For the rest of you head on over and vote for your favorite color combo...and no you do not need to be registered. :D The link is right under the picture of the room at the top of the page.

JPL
04-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I think the large numbers of people signing up for VFK just shows how much the interactions and friendships we have made mean to all of us. The risk is small to sign up while the rewards may be great.

Marla
04-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Call me cautious, but I too will wait to see how this new game goes before I join it. I hope VMK is saved, but it does not look good. I will keep checking back here to see what you all have decided.:tink:

JPL
04-18-2008, 12:48 PM
What everyone has been doing is creating a seperate e-mail for VFK and just registering their VMK title so they have it when the game opens. This way for the most part you are safe :thumbsup:

*tinker_belle*
04-18-2008, 02:10 PM
OK OK so i registered a new email and just signed up for VFK....blahhhh i can't believe i just did that. And i didn't register my VMK name IzzyInWonderland because I felt it pertained to Disney and I'm leaving those memories with VMK. So I'm probably going to be LittleMissIzzy. I should have been, IzzyWonder but i think i had a brain fart.:D

Patricia
04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
*tinker_belle*,

you would be wise to register your VMK title separately under a different address.. so nobody else can use your VMK title. It could be confusing to your vmk friends, if they meet someone using your old title.

For instance, WDWizard IM'd me the other day asking if I was "a Patricia" that contacted him on another Disney Site. I don't go to any other Disney sites (there are other Disney sites??) but it confused him. Reminding me I should have registered "Patricia" on every Disney site, even if I don't use them. :blush:

*tinker_belle*
04-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Thats a good idea Patricia thank you! I'll see what i can do about having it changed.

WDWfanatic742
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM
So I check the site today to see if there are any new updates, and I actually put two and two together. The number that they list is actually a local number down here in South Florida. So at least we know if we get any problems, I can head over there myself and give them a piece of my mind in person. :laughing:

wizardmickey
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
WDWfanatic742:
"...I can head over there myself and give them a piece of my mind in person."
Are you really sure you can afford to do that? How many pieces do you think you can give before it will start to affect your thinking?

WDWfanatic742
04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
My brain has been fried since Friday night/Saturday morning and will be fried for an entire year. Not much of my mind left...:D

cEveArdenfan
04-20-2008, 10:57 PM
OK, chescat convinced me. I signed up for beta with an e-mail I never use.

Randypandy
04-21-2008, 01:11 AM
i haven't registered with vfk and im not going to. i already play potc as much as i do vmk. I don't know what my backup plan is should vmk close down but it's not going to be vfk that much i can tell. it's not disney enough to me. club penguin is ok and potc seems to be nice enough except for i can't go much farther without paying for it but if they make vmk pay to play i'll do that instead. one thing that is on my mind is if vmk decides to make it pay to play will we have to start over again?

Patricia
04-21-2008, 11:12 AM
one thing that is on my mind is if vmk decides to make it pay to play will we have to start over again?

Yes, you would likely start over with nothing. Most games have two levels. Pay for all the features or a free account with limited access.

Jeremy
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
What about Day one pins? will those go as well?

jjramsey
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, you would likely start over with nothing. Most games have two levels. Pay for all the features or a free account with limited access.

If we had to start over with everything again, I would have to think long and hard about whether to pay for VMK. A lot of time, effort...and yes, money have been spent up to this point (over two years).

chrisb26
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Like Patti said I'm pretty sure if VMK were to go to a pay version they would have to start everything over. Reason being is if they kept everything they wouldn't be able to have a way for people to have a free version only paying. Which they couldn't do because it would be very difficult to get people to play it if they couldn't try it for free first.

In order for me to be willing to pay and start over I would need to be assured that I would be able to get back what I lost pretty easily. I mean I spent hours and hours trying to get certain things and if I wasn't able to ever see them again I would be disappointed. So if we did have to start over but they made it so everything was made readily available to start off with I would be willing to pay. That is not to say it would have to stay that way forever just long enough for us to get our things back that were lost.

jjramsey
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I could see them saying that if you pay, things continue as was (inventory and all). If you do not choose to pay, then these are the limits...

Also, a good 'advertising' tactic would be to freeze the inventory. Items you have now would show up, grayed down to designate 'Not usable unless you pay.' It would be a constant reminder to pay!

JPL
04-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I would imagine if possible they would have it so we could keep our inventory since some of that we did pay to obtain. But I am sure free players would only have limited access to items much like Club Penguin in hopes that eventually people who are playing for free would want to take it the pay service.

Patricia
04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Wouldn't switching to pay to play require them to recode all the software.. and isn't said software developed by Sulake? It's all much more complicated than it seems and I can't see anything (inventory, rooms or badges) being saved in a switch of game format. I don't think it's as easy as flipping a switch.

That is, if Sulake would even be willing to go that route with their software. :(

Chescat
04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
My understanding was that Disney Online created VMK and Yavn's staff were the testers. Along the way they had problems with the online part of it (I have friends in the industry and that part of online games has been the issue early on in online gaming - trying to get that online community versus a game locally on your machine). They brought SuLake (known for Habbo Hotel) into the game to provide them the assistance with the online part of it. SuLake provides the Hosts and Staff (moderators) to the game.

I believe the SuLake staff currently has had the task of the programming part and Disney Online is the testing stuff and designers of the game. Disney owns the patent on VMK or any virtual game park and will keep the game.

I also believe when Pirates Online first started, that SuLake had something to do with that also. When we were in Beta 1 around midnight west coast time, we would get testers on that spoke german and other languages. They had staffs and such we never had seen. Again they may have been brought in since we had a lot of online issues.

Its a possibility that SuLake and Disney have parted ways here. Why would Hosts and VMK staff lost their jobs and be informed same time we were. We can't be sure what's going on or what's going to happen. But this is the history of things that I've heard.

As far as paying for VMK. I would have to think about that. I've made Disneyland trips for stitch stuff, bought VMK pins for pirate stuff, candy, pins or magic stuff for inpark cards, bought DVDs for movie rewards for virtual stuff instead of real. If they say we aren't spending money, I don't know who they are talking about. To pay again to get all that stuff back and start all over, doesn't really seem worth it to me.

I'm in VMK these days to see my friends that I can't see in pirates. I'd be more than welling to continue doing that in a free VMK, but I don't think I would plan on paying. I feel I already have.

WDWfanatic742
04-25-2008, 11:45 PM
There is a promo of a promo of the game. A very interesting 30 seconds :funny:

Check out our first trailer for the Alpha preview coming on April 27th

jjramsey
04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, it is interesting. I like their choice of wording! I have a notion we may be sitting around that campfire chatting one of these days ;)

chrisb26
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
It will be intresting to see what happens.

Just a reminder the Alpha preview is supposed to be at 4:00 Est time today not sure what is going to happen or how long it will last.

WDWfanatic742
04-27-2008, 04:21 PM
Alpha Girl Version 0.57a - Walk Test

A Word From Sara

Hi everyone, this is Sara and this is our first ever Newsletter! I wanted to say "thank you" for your great feedback and to all who voted on our rooms, we loved what you chose and you can expect to find your choices in game on May 22nd, when VFK goes live. Rooms are great, but they're pretty empty with no one to occupy them, so here is some exciting news!

Today we are introducing Alpha Girl, she is the first ever occupant of her Colonial living room (a lot of firsts today!), right now she doesn't have loads of furniture, that's because she's still moving in, but Alpha girl wouldn't move into a completely empty room, so the first thing she insisted on bringing was her spinning wheel. She wanted the spinning wheel to be the first thing in her new Colonial room, because they were a very important part of life during Colonial times. Alpha Girl has had a busy day getting moved in, and she still has a million ideas about how she wants to decorate her new room. I think you will notice she definitely has an eye for fashion, so here without further delay, is Alpha girl to tell you about her moving day!

Hey! I went out to visit my favorite horse this morning before I started getting settled into my great new room. He loves carrots and I hope I will have a room for him in my new world. Did you know that the wall paper and paint in my room are real designs and colors from the Revolutionary period? I love all the details in here.

I chose a dress to match the style of my room. It's in a fashion called Empire, and was popular during what is called the New Nation period in America (from 1795 to 1824). This time is also called Regency because during this period the Prince Regent governed England, but it was the Empress Josephine of France (the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte) who made this fashion extremely popular and gave it's name "Empire".

Theres a lot more to do, and so many things I can't wait to tell you! First I've got to go find Alpha Boy, I know he's around here somewhere and if I know him, he's probably eating pizza instead of helping -sigh- he's never on time. Well, I've got to go, without me nothing would ever get done around here!

Alpha Girl

Game Window (http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/8878/vfk427previewzo7.jpg)
Newsletter (http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7473/vfk427preview2zb5.jpg)

JPL
04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I checked it out and I will say Alpha Girl is very creepy :eek:

WDWfanatic742
04-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Little pale don't you think...

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
UMMM I :ditto: that! Looks like the girl from Ring and the Grudge came into town! :P

Patricia
04-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Yikes!

I stopped by earlier and saw Alpha girl.. I instantly thought of The Ring.

I found a "not so scary" picture to post..

chrisb26
04-27-2008, 08:58 PM
lol she does look like the ring girl

I think the game looks pretty good so far for an Alpha preview you can move around and everything. I like the way the shadow follows you pretty nice looking overall. You can obviously tell it took them a while to create that little room can't wait till we can go play the game and explore more :D

WDWfanatic742
04-27-2008, 09:08 PM
The Ring girl will always haunt me. I remember being so scared after seeing that movie.

JPL
04-27-2008, 09:52 PM
The Ring girl will always haunt me. I remember being so scared after seeing that movie.

:chicken:
Great he already has an excuse for not playing :rolleyes:

WDWfanatic742
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
:bang: :angry: :blowup: :rant: :fit: :cry: :pout: :crying:

I'm sorry I never get scared and am not as tough as you Jeff...

WDWfanatic742
04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Game Window 4/27 9:30PM EST (Thanks Dino) (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/AlphaBeta1.jpg)

RicksCafe
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey, don't make fun of Alpha Girl. She and I went to middle school together and she was teased mercilessly. Only now has she decided that she can handle the virtual world.

You people... you're just like Buffy and Muffy and the rest of the cheer squad.

But we'll get even with them, won't we Carrie? Yes... yes we will.... at the prom. Muahaha! :thedolls:

Ricks (who actually gets a real Stacy London vibe from Alpha Girl... and you all know how I feel about Stacy London ;) )

chrisb26
04-28-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm sorry I hurt Carries feelings and I'll be sure to not go to prom and uh oh tell her to watch out for some red stuff ;)

:angry: :blowup: :rant: :fit: :pout: :crying:

I'm sorry I never get scared and am not as tough as you Jeff...

Or me or probably everybody else what is so scary about a girl coming out of the TV?

Game Window 4/27 9:30PM EST (Thanks Dino) (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/AlphaBeta1.jpg)

Your Welcome :)

WDWfanatic742
04-28-2008, 12:39 AM
You'd be scared if that thing that comes out of the TV starts attacking you :D

Looks like they started beta 4...

Blue Genie
04-28-2008, 01:50 AM
Well the movie that got me scare and I still can't watch it is. I know well not spell it right but. The Poterguys. U know that blond girl who looks at TV and things start happing. I had nightmares for weeks and years of that movie.

Patricia
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Sorry if I scared you Fan. Good thing I didn't post the scarier picture of her coming out of the well.

BOOO! (sorry again)

Tricks, Stacy London would never wear that Alpha Girl dress.

Patricia (who thought The Ring was pretty lame)

RicksCafe
04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Tricks, Stacy London would never wear that Alpha Girl dress.
(insert saucy statement about Stacy London not in that dress here)

Ricks (who has no comment)

P.S.: I'm in favor of not complaining about VFK just yet, since VMK often seemed bludgeoned by complaints.

Patricia
04-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok. This just in.

8 little girls, ranging in age from 5 - 10, have judged the Alpha Girl as "Aww, cute."

They're excited!

She does have great hair. :)

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Very long hair, too, I might add :D Just like the Ring girl. But I won't be able to watch the Ring. I saw the trailer for Quarantine while I was watching Prom Night with my friends, and I stayed awake at night for hours before I could convince myself that nothing was coming out of the bathroom :eek: Old ladies with fungus on their faces are CREEPY!

JPL
04-28-2008, 09:45 PM
8 little girls, ranging in age from 5 - 10, have judged the Alpha Girl as "Aww, cute."

Patti

If you're still alive get out of the house :eek:

terri.m
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
(insert saucy statement about Stacy London not in that dress here)

Ricks (who has no comment)

P.S.: I'm in favor of not complaining about VFK just yet, since VMK often seemed bludgeoned by complaints.

:funny:

cEveArdenfan
04-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Well the movie that got me scare and I still can't watch it is. I know well not spell it right but. The Poterguys.

...I stayed awake at night for hours before I could convince myself that nothing was coming out of the bathroom :eek: Old ladies with fungus on their faces are CREEPY!

I know we're going off topic now, but since it's happening anyway I'll put in my :twocents:. This movie has haunted me since the night I saw it when I was very young. Four words. (And it's a Disney movie!)

Watcher in the Woods

I still can't look in the mirror if I think too much about it.What? No blindfolded smiley? Oh, well. :covered:

By the way, what's with all the creepy little girls in movies?

*tinker_belle*
04-29-2008, 06:30 PM
That character is deeply disturbing. Seeing the furniture and clothes that aren't Disney make me so sad....

mickeytinkerbellprincess
04-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Actually, since Disney is copyrighted, I doubt that VFK would be able to create any Disney-related furnishings or clothes. Just saying :thumbsup:

TinkRocks
04-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Well the movie that got me scare and I still can't watch it is. I know well not spell it right but. The Poterguys. U know that blond girl who looks at TV and things start happening. I had nightmares for weeks and years of that movie.

They're heeeeeeere! (Poltergeist)

Anybody want some fava beans and a nice chianti? F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f....

*tinker_belle*
04-30-2008, 01:27 AM
No i wouldn't want them to be Disney. My point is that we won't have VMK and thats sad. And VFK can't even begin to compare and could never replace my favorite VMK....

JPL
04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Actually we are all just migrating there so we can all stay together as group. Now how this will work out I can't say. I know it won't have the same Magical feel as VMK but atleast we can still get together have fun and keep in touch. I know we have Intercot but there is something to be said about interacting in a safe environment in real time.

Ayndi
04-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Okay, I signed up for this one too. As Majolica.

Not that I'm on anything very much, but I do keep track of you all. :blush:

JPL
04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Actually if you belive the numbers VFK has 22,500 people registered for beta.

So let's see if Disney charged $6 a month for VMK they would bring in $135,000 per month or $1.62 million per year. This is just counting the people who signed up for beta.

RicksCafe
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
....but I do keep track of you all. :blush:Stop, you're creepin' me out here!

Anybody want some fava beans and a nice chianti? F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f....Stop!! You're creepin' me out here!!

She does have great hair. :)Ohhh, I thought you meant the Ring girl... to which I would've responded... "Stop!!! You're creepin' me out here!!!"

Ricks (who, then again, recalls that as a kid he thought Morticia Addams was pretty hot... sorry, but the heart knows what it wants)

trackbarroness
05-02-2008, 04:38 AM
tricks I was thinking along the lines of the Adams Family. But I think the hair style is very much like that from the time frame they have chosen to show case first. I do hope there are more hair styles to come. :D lololol

fluffies
05-03-2008, 11:12 PM
I just got a hold of Queen, she's going to sign up her and BrerFan. Nachocat said she signed up. Left messages for DisneyDreamin and SparkleMeTink, and going to talk to Varcity. Need to find Fluffies. :)

I got it, and I signed up as well although I don't rmemeber WHICH email I used & I didn't sign up with my VMK nn. I will see you all there :)

Patricia
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
:offtopic:

Anybody want some fava beans and a nice chianti? F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f....

Gosh.. I love to use that line when I have company for dinner.

Muahahahaha

trackbarroness
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
:offtopic:

Gosh.. I love to use that line when I have company for dinner.

Muahahahaha

What's fava beans? and that other stuff.

Patricia
05-10-2008, 01:53 PM
What's fava beans? and that other stuff.

Fava beans are a broad bean.

Chianti (key-AHN-tee) is a red wine.. named after the Tuscany region in Italy where it's produced. (Lady and the Tramp had a Chianti bottle, holding a candle, on the table in their famous restaurant scene.)

The line we are referring to (only partially used here) comes from Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.

trackbarroness
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh gotcha
and ya I've seen both movies. :D

WDWfanatic742
05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
The VFK Site was updated today:

May 13th, 2008

We've got a lot of exciting news to share with you this week.

As you have noticed, we have upgraded our web site!
We have a new video trailer highlighting upcoming features which you can find above.
We liked the music, "A New World", which we used in our first trailer so much that we used it again in this one.
We wanted to share with you some of the behind the scenes activities that go into creating the exciting new features we will be adding to the Wild West land. To see this special sneak peek, you can visit our Wild West story board (http://virtualfamilykingdom.com/westsb.php).
We are highlighting our Medieval lands, and these will be previewed in our next alpha test.
We have included our new VFK constitution, which you will find on the right, outlining our values.
We are really pleased to be introducing a new land, in conjunction with the help of our friends in Australia, which is planned to open on June 20th.
We are in the process of approving pre-registration character names, so watch your email for confirmation of your character name.
You can visit the previous Virtual Family Kingdom alpha test by visiting this page (http://resources.virtualfamilykingdom.com/alpha57a10/).

--- Second Alpha Preview will be released tomorrow.

--- Lands Included in First Release: Medieval, Colonial, Wild West, and Victorian.
--- Upcoming Lands: Australia (June 20th)

--- There will be a Chat Dictionary
--- Trading for Furniture, Clothes, Pins, Charms, and Limited Release Items
--- Games will include: Space Pirates, Fourth of July Game, Audubon's Outdoor Adventure, Paul Revere's Midnight Ride, Wild West Ghost Town, Checkers, Bridge, and more

jjramsey
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Wow! There are a pile of additions to the info they have. This is very ambitious...I am surprised that they are releasing so much in just a short period of time. I expected at most, limited items and one or two lands during the beta phase.

By using the menu on the left, I found a lot more content than was listed above. Unfortunately, it cannot be copied and pasted, so you will need to see for yourself.

chrisb26
05-14-2008, 06:16 PM
The new Alpha Preview is out and they released a new newsletter

A Word From Sara

Hi Everyone!

Welcome to our second newsletter!! With only a short time left before the official beta launch we wanted to kick off this week with a brand new website design and alpha preview! That means new areas for you to explore on the home page, including info about the upcoming lands, games, and contests. Plus get a head start for May 22nd by checking out the behavior and conduct rules for VFK which you can read here in the VFK Constitution!

Get your exploring gear together and grab your sneakers, because there are lots of new historic areas for Alpha Girl to explore and it's going to take a lot of walking to see everything in the medieval city!
Here's Alpha Girl to tell you about her Alpha Walkabout.

I've been working in my garden today, I love plants and flowers! I'm glad my garden has lots of both! The pink flowering trees in the garden are cherry trees which were popular in Colonial America. I have to say, just staying here in my room all the time can get a little boring. So today, I'm off on a medieval walkabout. With so much walking to do, I've put on my favorite jeans, sneakers and VFK T-shirt, because what can I say? I ROCK!

I love medieval times and I can't wait to explore Celliwig the medieval city which is part of Camelot. Perhaps I'll even get to explore part of the castle at Camelot! In medieval times, cities and villages typically sprung up near castles or large homes called Manors. A medieval city was a busy place, where people lived, and sold all kinds of goods. It was also a place where people could buy fruit and vegetables grown on nearby farms from farmers who set up market stands.

There are a lot of exciting tales and legends surrounding the history of King Arthur, Queen Guinevere and Camelot and a Magician named Merlin. Merlin was an advisor to King Arthur who aided Arthur on his quests and helped him gain the sword Excalibur. Legend says Merlin could shapeshift, conjure spells and see the past and future. Some say Merlin could travel though time, while others think he aged backwards.

Stonehenge is an ancient circle of large stones just outside of Salisbury in England. No one knows who built the stone circle, or why. There are many stories about who built Stonehenge. Some think the druids built it for special ceremonies, but my favorite legend is about a magical stone circle which Merlin, a Giant and Uther Pendragon (King Arthur's father) moved from Mount Killaraus in Ireland to Salisbury field in England. The stone circle was thought to be built of magical healing stones by giants who brought the stones from Africa.

A king named Aurelius Ambrosias wanted to build a monument to remember the nobles who had died in a battle at Salisbury. When Aurelius told Merlin his plans, Merlin recommended �The Giant's Dance,� a magical circle of stones in Ireland. Uther Pendragon and 15,000 knights, and a giant tried to move the stones. They tried for several days to move the rocks but couldn't. Then Merlin using his mysterious powers easily moved the stones to Salisbury where they were dedicated. Now, there is a place I would love to explore! I wonder if I will find Stonehenge or King Arthur's roundtable on my adventures.

I can move my furni now but I'm still waiting for Alpha Boy to help me rotate it! I was just thinking, how much pizza can Alpha Boy eat? Alpha Boy is coming to help me explore our new world this weekend, I can hardly wait! I'll have so many things to show him and so much furni to arrange.

Well, I've got to get going! There's a lot of exploring to do, so let's get this party started!!

Alpha Girl Out It is actually pretty cool you can move the furniture in your house and explore the Medieval land by going near the entrances only problem is there isn't a specific place to click so you have to go close to the edge to leave the rooms. But once you figure it out its pretty neat.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm very happy that they're trying so hard, they're trying to squeeze in a lot of additions into the game before Beta, and that's great. They're very creative and with the closure of VMK they'll have lots of players. :)

WDWfanatic742
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, there is a ton more information if you actually take a look on the site. I just don't have the time to type everything word for word and honestly don't really want to... :D

They have added at least 10 new rooms to the alpha testing. Very cool :thumbsup:

wizardmickey
05-14-2008, 09:38 PM
So when do we start getting confirmations via email? It's getting close to the big day, and haven't seen/recieved anything. :confused:

WDWfanatic742
05-16-2008, 11:08 PM
They have updated the alpha test to include a sound test. It doesn't start until around the third or fourth room.

WDWfanatic742
05-17-2008, 02:10 AM
May 15th, 2008

I was having so much fun exploring Celliwig that I almost forgot my favorite part, Stonehenge! And you won't believe how big it is in person! It's just the place for a BIG PARTY. I think over 200 of my best friends and I could totally "rock" there! I know where I'll be dancing, on the top of one of those 24 foot high trilithons! I also noticed that one of the latest medieval tunes is playing in downtown Celliwig, now if I could only remember its name. Oh by the way, if you haven't seen Stonehenge yet, just take a left at the castle gate, you can't miss it! Can't wait to see you there at the first big party!

Stonehedge is huge, I believe them when they say it will fit 200 people.

chrisb26
05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Stonehedge is huge, I believe them when they say it will fit 200 people.

Wow after looking at it I agree it does look big enough.

But the real question is could they get 200 people into one room with out the entire game crashing? :D

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Let's hope they will! Can't wait to paaaarrty! :D

jjramsey
05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
You could get the whole Intercot group in one room :party:

wizardmickey
05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Took some stumbling around to find Stonehedge... looks like FUN!!!

Patricia
05-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Tap, Tap, Tap.. "Is this thing on??"

MaryBelle
05-22-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm waiting on a VFK update! I'm curious, but also so sad knowing all the little Disney touches will not be in this new game :-(

Patricia
05-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Special Update: (from VFK website)

We are overwhelmed with the response from all our friends coming to Virtual Family Kingdom.
We are reconfiguring our servers at this moment to accommodate the large number of people visiting us.
We should have the servers reconfigured in about 30 minutes, or about 11:00 AM Eastern Time.

KineGirl
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Well its 11:38 and I cant even find a sign in area.

Dont they know Im jonesing for an avatar???

It still all seems so surreal this morning:(

Patricia
05-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Special Update 2:

We have just completed the reconfiguration of our servers, and testing everything.
We should be ready to start taking registrations in about 15 minutes.
Again, thanks for your patience.

RicksCafe
05-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok...

Last night, we heard a bunch of VMK staff making comments like "we'll see you very soon" and such.

Now VFK has said this:

Plus, we have an amazing surprise for you! Here’s a hint, once you login you will definitely want to find the staff and visit with them.

Anyone else going, "hmmmm, interesting"?

Ricks (who makes others go "Hmmmm" on a regular basis)

Patricia
05-22-2008, 12:07 PM
yeah... I was wondering what that meant.

I applied as staff for VFK.. apparently they didn't want me. :)

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Awww Patti... We want you - hope that is a nice alternative for you. ;)

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Welllllll..... I am watching it also. It appears they are opting for fewer features to start and more people able to get in, then slowly add features. That is probably a good idea, as they will get a better idea of what is laggy ;) ...and more people will be able to get on.

RicksCafe
05-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I applied as staff for VFK.. apparently they didn't want me. :)Two thoughts:

1. They clearly don't know what they're missing.

2. Being the selfish so-and-so I am, I'm kinda glad you're not Staff since I have a principle about getting too friendly with Staff.

Ricks (who wonders if they meant a different Eastern time when they said they'd be open at 11)

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I think VFK are on island time here... LOL!

I could have used the extra hour in bed this morning, let me tell you!

Patricia
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Tink,It's an excellent alternative!

Tricks.. maybe they have confused east and west?

RicksCafe
05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Tricks.. maybe they have confused east and west?I like your brand of denial!

Ricks (who locks it a lawt)

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
It's making me wonder now why VFK didn't just say that they'd open their virtual gates on Friday morning and allow today to do their testing / updating, etc.

They have got to have known they'd get a flood of people signing up after VMK closed...

Patricia
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Tricks, Tink.. if we keep posting here people will think we're waiting for something. :blush:

Tink.. I doubt if they would be any more prepared tomorrow. I'm sure it's an unexpected glitch with the high numbers.

:wait:

JPL
05-22-2008, 01:08 PM
You are awaiting the rebirth of Figgiefig :figment: It's ok you can all admit it no shame in that ;)

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Tricks, Tink.. if we keep posting here people will think we're waiting for something. :blush:

:wait:

I'm not waiting for anything... :rolleyes:

I'm only here to keep you guys company! ;)

RicksCafe
05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
It's making me wonder... Aww, it's ok, TinkRocks. Let's cheer on VFK even louder and it will open.

I, personally, will start complaining about VKF after they have their first quest that requires an unreal score on pirates.

No wait! I'll start complaining after they do a '"parade" down Medieval Street USA. That will so rock.

Ricks (who is looking for his other pom... ah there it is.... :cheer:)

Patricia
05-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm only here to keep you guys company! ;)

Oh! I was here to keep you guys company.

Did someone say something about a fig?

Patricia (who is so happy Tricks found his pom..)

JPL
05-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Did someone say something about a fig?

Well if that's the way you feel maybe figgiefig doesn't have to rise from the ashes of VMK like a Pheonix :(

Tiggerdog
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Well if that's the way you feel maybe figgiefig doesn't have to rise from the ashes of VMK like a Pheonix :(

You know Patti wants another virtual rock from Figgiefig!

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm wondering if JP chose 'GummiLover' on VFK instead of 'Figgiefig' or 'FigNewton'...

Tiggerdog
05-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Are they ever going to open the game?

signed,
a person with no patience today!

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Hockey - aren't we entertaining enough here? LOL

Patricia
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh no, not that whole rock misunderstanding.

patti runs around yelling "Figgie gave me a Rock!"

Figgie runs around telling everyone he threw a rock at patti.

Sigh.. Those were the good old days.

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 01:36 PM
I think it's time for another Special Update, don't you?

janmathatter
05-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Did anyone ever get an email from them saying their title was approved? I never did.

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
No - I didn't. I used the 'contact us' link on their website just to check, but no response.

Part of me wants to believe this is one big April Fool's joke.

Krystal_Rose
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I never got an email saying my title was approved either. I suppose we will just find that out if the registration ever comes up. I must admit, this is the longest 15 minutes I've ever experienced in my entire life.

Patricia
05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Nope, nobody seems to have received any confirmations or "click here to verify anything" links.

I noticed there is no time stamp on those updates.. if your just coming in, you have 15 more minutes. :unsure:

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Okay....

They better open soon I have joined the waiting. Like a certain Fige I have been waiting to come back. I am a Dino you can't make this one go extinct either! Open soon!!

On a side note I didn't get a email telling me my title was approved either :(

Sigh

I don't want to wait anymore...

JPL
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Umm they better hurry the Evil Voices need a place to go :hide2:

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
If your just coming in, you have 15 more minutes. :unsure:

:rotfl:

JPL
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Umm I came in about 10 15 minutes ago :eek:

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
It is now after 11 West Coast time. Any minute now..

Krystal_Rose
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Is it possible to wear out the refresh button? heh

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
oh.. I'm having trouble loading the page now..

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
It's opened, but I think it's broken.

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 02:17 PM
It just told me how to log in but then it wouldn't work :(

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Me too - it seems to be taking quite a while to load. Almost 2 minutes now...

Oh - there we go. Usual 'Special Update 2' - opening in 15 minutes screen.

I have to go get some errands run - hopefully the site will be up and running by August!

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Ok, I'm in.

Blue Genie
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
This all sounds to fishy here. I know there is something not right. I'm not going to join this game. Sorry guys. I just don't fell conferble. U guys got no e-mails from them there not open like they said they would, it just don't sound right.

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I am too!!

Once I figured out what my character name was

only problem now I'm not so sure I should go out dressed looking like this :unsure:

KineGirl
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
let me in! let me in!

It just keeps loading....

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Okay I can't see anybody but see people talking.

I also can't see my text however so far I have seen staff.

VFK_Lion
VFK_Willa

which uh sounds a bit familuar.

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
This all sounds to fishy here. I know there is something not right. I'm not going to join this game. Sorry guys. I just don't fell conferble. U guys got no e-mails from them there not open like they said they would, it just don't sound right.

Aww come on Genie

We didn't get emails but the game is open now!

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Lol, I don't think I should be out. I'm in a room with VFK_Wolf. Ring any bells?

Also.. I can see what everyone is saying except me

Krystal_Rose
05-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Aww, I still can't load the page. It's stops on the last item. "Little Pig, Little Pig let me come in!"

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
You think I would have written down my login info when I registered, wouldn't ya...

I have no idea what my login name is, so can't log on!!!

janmathatter
05-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Can't even get to the page now

chrisb26
You think I would have written down my login info when I registered, wouldn't ya...

I have no idea what my login name is, so can't log on!!!

I had the exact same problem lol took me 3 tries before I got it.

Except now I froze so tried to go to log back in and the screen says can't find the server.

Patricia
Oh no Tink!! you have to use the info you sent them when pre-registering.

Shoot, I'm froze and the site seems to have gone down.

Krystal_Rose
05-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Down already?? I didn't even get the register page to come up! Sigh

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
OK - I've officially lost my patience today, so to save everyone's sanity - I'm walking away from the computer.

I will have to wait until Beta period is done before joining VFK. No login info is being accepted, and no responses from VFK site either.

Oh well.

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Aww boo to no log in!

I was froze for awhile, hit refresh and came right back to my room. Going to see if I can move around the kingdom.

Krystal_Rose
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Ok, I think I am in but I have no idea how to get out of my room. Anyone??

Patricia
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm moving and talking. I'm guest 96, find me.. I have blonde hair. lol

Tink, did you try to go to register or log in?

Everyone needs to register first using the info they provided before.

MaryBelle
05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I was going to try this but it seems Beta registration is full :-( Phooey. I am on some kind of waiting list I guess, but who knows how long until I get to join. What a bummer.

*tinker_belle*
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
What a surprise...their site is down and after several attempts at trying to reload, it says "problem loading page" hmmm. Interesting....

janmathatter
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
i did manage to complete registration and get in for a bit. Scary to be in a room with 10 ppl that look just like me.(or me looking like them?) Being in didn't last long though.

Chescat
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
No wait! I'll start complaining after they do a '"parade" down Medieval Street USA. That will so rock.

Ricks (who is looking for his other pom... ah there it is.... :cheer:)
Tricks, you missed the parade on Main Street last night. We watched Patti go up and down the middle of the street and cheered her on. :mickey:

So for the login you just use the name you gave them on registration? I can't see anything now since its all blocked for me until I get home later. :confused:

I'll try to log in for a couple minutes tonight.

WDWfanatic742
05-22-2008, 03:13 PM
I was able to register my character while at school about an hour ago. The actual game didn't load for me, but I was able to at least save my character name. Now it's loading the homepage, the play now picture for the button isn't loading, and when you click that you get an IE cannot display the page or whatever error.

EDIT: Finally got to log-in and the game loaded. Game is acting weird however. Seems like you can only see some people in some rooms, and then chat sometimes doesn't like to work. Very interesting character style to say the very least. I am Guest215...

Krystal_Rose
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Ok, I figured out to click close to a doorway and you exit into another room. I wandered the empty the streets for a bit and finally realized that the other ppl were just invisible. Talk is touchy, works sometimes but mostly doesn't work. I think I need a nap.

JPL
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
It apparently doesn't like figgiefig :(

mickeynuts
05-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Well I preregistered and signed in just now to check it out and get my name, but it seems somebody beat me to it. If you see mamacita it's not me. It said I'd have to choose a new name but then it let me sign in without doing it so who knows. For the 30 seconds I was in the game i was guest 595 :)
Still looks fishy to me, but it's worth looking into. I would love to have my suspicions proven wrong.

GossipGirl
05-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Hmm.. I pre-registered in Beta 3. I've tried a numerous amount of times to register my pre-registeration and load the game, but I continuously get an error. My brother was a big fan of VMK and he kept trying to persuade me that VFK was a scam.

Though the site does seem a little fishy to me, I think I'll give it a shot. Yes, the site is experiencing problems, but like the homepage states, they can only allow so many people to play right now. Hence the waiting list. ;) They don't want servers to fall. But in my opinion, I think they should make sure everything is up and running properly before allowing thousands of people to log in.

Chescat
05-22-2008, 04:13 PM
I think the reason they wanted to at least make an attempt to show it now, is to show people that they are serious and that there is a real game going here. It might take a little while to get something we normally expect, but its a place that we can all find each other again and that's what counts. :grouphug:

Patricia
05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
I think 50,000 may have been a beta over the top. :funny:

WDWfanatic742
05-22-2008, 04:20 PM
When you figure that 1,000 people back in the day for VMK's beta was overloading the system, imagine how bad it is now. Just give them time guys, it took VMK a year or two before we ever even knew about it to learn and adjust their game. VFK has had alot less time and they seem to be doing well for two months.

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Right now, they appear to be innundated with people trying to get on.

ElectroGoofy was on earlier. He had not heard about trying to find a staff member. Not sure why, but they said to be sure to do it...are they giving away something?

Oh, and by the way, their system requires Adobe Flash, so while you are waiting why not make sure you have the latest Flash from the Adobe website(9.something) and be sure to also install the 'Air' part of the application. During the install watch for another button about installing 'Air.'

TinkRocks
05-22-2008, 04:34 PM
I have tried everything and I'm just in tears here. No luck whatsoever.

I have even tried using 'contact us' link a couple of times, but nobody is responding at all.

I'll have to stick with intercot. It's a shame - I was looking forward to being a 'Day 1' / Beta person at long last, but nope...

Hope everyone has fun with the game - the test clips on the site look good!

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Right now, they appear to be innundated with people trying to get on.

ElectroGoofy was on earlier. He had not heard about trying to find a staff member. Not sure why, but they said to be sure to do it...are they giving away something?

For the short time I was on earlier I saw a couple staff members their titles were

VFK_Willa
VFK_Lion
VFK_Wolf

Sound like people we know?

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I think 50,000 may have been a beta over the top. :funny:

They did say it would probably be the biggest beta in history...this is probably why it is a bit rough around the edges of the logon ;)

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 04:50 PM
I have tried everything and I'm just in tears here. No luck whatsoever.

I have even tried using 'contact us' link a couple of times, but nobody is responding at all.

I'll have to stick with intercot. It's a shame - I was looking forward to being a 'Day 1' / Beta person at long last, but nope...

Hope everyone has fun with the game - the test clips on the site look good!

Don't give up about being on, it can only get better!

I just got in after a lot of trying. Got as far as stonehenge and my character vanished on leaving the room. Also, if I understand correctly, the boy characters will look alike and the girl characters will look the same until they activate the personalization controls.

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 05:03 PM
For the short time I was on earlier I saw a couple staff members their titles were

VFK_Willa
VFK_Lion
VFK_Wolf

Sound like people we know?

Chris, did they give you anything or do anything special? They allude to that on the homepage.

JPL
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I can't get to the site at all :( It just can't be displayed oh well looks like Figgiefig will not rise from the ashes afterall :cry:

WDWfanatic742
05-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Try now Jeff. Wasn't working for me when you made your post, but the site is slowly working for me...

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Chris, did they give you anything or do anything special? They allude to that on the homepage.

When I saw them I only was able to see their titles everybody was still invisible so I could only see what they were saying.

janmathatter
05-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Be patient oh impatient one. The site has been gone for me most of the time too. But I did finally, after much trying, get in long enough to at least be able to log in and be there. I couldn't see anyone for a long time, but then could and could actually see chat for a bit.

I can't get to the site at all :( It just can't be displayed oh well looks like Figgiefig will not rise from the ashes afterall :cry:

milklady
05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Just got the official word that the hosts from VMK or on VFK now. Whee They changed Fins title a little but still the same person.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Trying to register now but the homepage is acting all funky for me. Meh :P

*tinker_belle*
05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I can't even get on at all. I give up for the day. I keep getting a "problem loading page" error mesage!

Tiggerdog
05-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh, and by the way, their system requires Adobe Flash, so while you are waiting why not make sure you have the latest Flash from the Adobe website(9.something) and be sure to also install the 'Air' part of the application. During the install watch for another button about installing 'Air.'

I believe the download is Air Probe. As soon as I had downloaded this I was on immediately.

I can walk around, but I see no talking or people. Am I a ghost?

mickeynuts
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Just got the official word that the hosts from VMK or on VFK now. Whee They changed Fins title a little but still the same person.

Official word?

JPL
05-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Still no Luck here :mad:

Guess I'm stuck being a stinkin' Penguin for now :cry:

wizardmickey
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I too have been trying off & on throughout the day...
The Page Will Not Load.
May try 1 more time before I hit the sack tonight... but it ain't looking hopeful. :(

terri.m
05-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I finally got in after I figured out that you don't press the play now button until you register your player...then another long wait or two until it told me that "tea" was taken so i'm now...Terri.m again! I saw my avatar then DH got home so i had to run.

Can't wait to find you all whenever we can get in.

Patricia
05-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Well, all of you that can't get in, trust me when I say your not missing much.

It's not much different than walking around in the Alpha Test. There are no shops, games or anything to do. Sometimes I can talk, sometimes I can see other people, I can't sit on my pink couch and everything is identified as a pink couch. Today I saw a rock on the ground, I clicked on it and it said it was a pink couch, but I was able to move it around. I may save it to throw at Figgie later. :) Nobody, except staff, have their names yet.

I did get in a room with Cita, but I couldn't see her, only her chat was visible (the invisibility costume is working just fine). Many people were stuck on the side of a building and that was kind amusing, until it was me. :blush:

Staff were not doing anything special.. I think they only wanted us to find them because of their names. Tricks wins the big prize for figuring that out!!

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I THINK I got in, not sure, really (I don't know what my screenname is?). If getting in is walking around like a creepy blonde Chucky doll, then yeah, I'm in :P Can't see my speech right now, but the rooms are pretty cool.

JPL
05-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Ok figgie is sort of alive :confused: He can't speak he is not very happy being all alone in this scary scary place :( He hates his clothes and already tried to burn the pink couch :eek:
But then he realized he left his inferno in VMK :mad: Oh yeah and he wants to shave his head :eek:

Tiggerdog
05-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Ok figgie is sort of alive :confused: He can't speak he is not very happy being all alone in this scary scary place :( He hates his clothes and already tried to burn the pink couch :eek:
But then he realized he left his inferno in VMK :mad: Oh yeah and he wants to shave his head :eek:

pics! we want pics!

RicksCafe
05-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, all of you that can't get in, trust me when I say your not missing much."Much" is a relative term, since I'm missing out on everything, which is infinitely more than nothing.

Why error-page, why?!?

Tricks wins the big prize for figuring that out!!Yay I win! Is it a way in? Cause that's what I need. :(

Ricks (who needs his virtual fix)

chrisb26
05-22-2008, 09:46 PM
After many many tries I finally made it in a room where I could see people and talk!

While there I saw VFK_Aloha who I couldn't see but hear. Then VFK_Panda walked in who I can see.

VFK_Aloha confirmed to me she is the same Aloha from VMK.

That Pins and changing clothes would come just check the home page boy have we heard that before? ;)

Here are some pictures:

VFK_Panda (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/BetaDay1Picture8.jpg)

VFK Picture with VFK_Aloha (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/BetaDay1Picture10.jpg)

VFK Picture 1 (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/BetaDay1Picture1.jpg)

VFK Picture 2 (http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/BetaDay1Picture5.jpg)

I must say after it does start working it is pretty neat.
(http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/chrisb2626/Virtual%20Family%20Kingdom/BetaDay1Picture8.jpg)

*tinker_belle*
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I don't mean to be a downer but after seeing those pictures, the characters are so creepy looking. Their heads are a tad big. But the landscaping looks good. GRRR i just miss VMK! It's not the same!!

terri.m
05-22-2008, 10:18 PM
After getting back on and wondering around all by myself, I got stuck on a building and gave up. I'll try again later.

I miss my :mickey:

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
I saw one of the staff and they said many of the VFK staff were from another 'kingdom' ;)

I wonder if they are volunteer or employed. Either way, it is a windfall for VFK in that they are trained.

JPL
05-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Well I am giving up maybe when they actually have soemthing working I might be back but after almost 4 hours and not seeing a single other player I can find plenty of better things to do with my time. Sorry but this is too frustrating for me right now. So putting the new scary figgiefig on ice.

OhGee
05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Finally got to register and got online about an hour ago. I should still be OhGee hopefully after the name gets approved. The registering process earlier was not good. Kept getting that error/time out page. I had more success after I downloaded the Adobe Air.

Now I am walking around all alone (or so I think). Can't see my own chat but did get in a room where I saw a couple of people. I also got stuck up on the side of the building. Don't go into the stable area! hehe

mickeynuts
05-22-2008, 11:14 PM
I did get back in for a bit and found patti, and then again tonight for a little while. Will be interesting to see what comes of it I guess.

Blue Genie
05-22-2008, 11:21 PM
They look to creepy to me I don't know. Still not felling right about this. Even if some of the old VMK staff are there just don't know.

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Finally got to register and got online about an hour ago. I should still be OhGee hopefully after the name gets approved. The registering process earlier was not good. Kept getting that error/time out page. I had more success after I downloaded the Adobe Air.

Now I am walking around all alone (or so I think). Can't see my own chat but did get in a room where I saw a couple of people. I also got stuck up on the side of the building. Don't go into the stable area! hehe

Yeah, I did that too! Must be the portal for the pirates area ;) ...you know, swing 'em from the highest yardarm!!! arg...

jjramsey
05-22-2008, 11:31 PM
They look to creepy to me I don't know. Still not felling right about this. Even if some of the old VMK staff are there just don't know.

Yes, I know what you mean, especially no Disney theme.

As far as the problems online...hey VMK still had lag and problems 3 years later...like last night!

RicksCafe
05-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Well I tried everything.

I downloaded the new Adobe Do-Dads.™

I entered every password I could imagine ever thinking of.

I stood in front of a mirror and said "Bloody Mary" three times.

Nothing.

Then I realized that I'd been entering the wrong email address for the past 12 hours. D'oh! :shake:

I got stuck on a building and gave up.I always thought you were a little stuck up, Tea. :thumbsup: But seriously folks, I believe it was incredibly wise Patti who figured out that to get down from that perch, you just click "Refresh." Boo.yaw!

Now I am walking around all alone (or so I think).I walked into every room and didn't see a soul. Didn't hear a sound. Didn't see a word I said. One big Alpha test.

But I'm in, baby! And that's all that counts.

Ricks (who rocks the Day One Biz-eta!)

terri.m
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I always thought you were a little stuck up, Tea. :thumbsup:
Ricks (who rocks the Day One Biz-eta!)

:sob:

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Do I HAVE to be a blonde and wearing these ugly ugly clothes????

trackbarroness
05-23-2008, 04:11 AM
There's promise of new clothes and I hope new hair styles. And I also noticed that the hours are the same as VMK. I did get on last night took a stroll around until my computer started acting up then said forgett about it.
Will try logging on later today even while moving into a new place and we have family visiting this weekend. So was it like for the rest of y'all, did you just see your character or did you finally see others?

JPL
05-23-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm sure I can get use to the weird characters once I actually see one other than myself :(

Krystal_Rose
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I climbed a building too yesterday. At first I wondered how in the world that happened, and then I realized I must have used my "Spider Magic!" Woot!!

wizardmickey
05-23-2008, 10:26 AM
T'was quite odd now that I realize the hours of operation...
It finally let me on - after midnight my time! I wandered all over the place totally alone and freaked byy generic appearance, and by 1 am decided it was too lonely, so I split. How odd it allowed me to stay on after hours!!!
Muahaha! I had this new realm all to myself!!!

terri.m
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I had no problem logging in this morning. Still haven't seen anyone though. Or be able to talk. There is a new room when you walk out of the garden, it's paths that lead to the castle, a desert looking area that you can't get to and a park area you also can't get to yet.

Oh and i received the coveted beta spinning wheel today! Let the spinning begin!

jjramsey
05-23-2008, 11:36 AM
OK, just got back from a complete walk through the new kingdom. A new room has been added after the yard. Very little lag. Still some seeing and talking issues, but not as bad as last night by far. some issues cleared up by walking out and back into room.

Talked to two VFK staff extensively. They are wanting all the suggestions they can get. In the process of giving some, it appears that they feel there are great opportunities to make improvements of policies in comparison to some other online places.

I mentioned that if there is a ban for any reason that there be an email notifying why and if it is given to a minor that their parents get the message, so that it is a learning experience, rather than an unkown shot out of the blue. This way, the parent can be involved in explaining to the child what happened and why. The staff said that they are very much interested in VFK being a learning experience, not just in history and geography, so they agreed.

Our neighbors daughter got a short term ban in VMK. Neither she, nor the mother knew why. Both were very frustrated and could not get an answer from VMK. Hopefully this is one area that can be improved!

Saw both VFK_Panda and VFK_Groovy. Had a good chat with both. They feel that as beta progresses, the issues of lag and bugs will slowly get resolved. As for the first day pin questions, they said to watch home page for messages and updates. Since this is beta, the staff and proggrammers have quite a deluge of info coming in, but the staff are very graciously asking for suggestions and what bugs are being found.

As for getting hung up coming out of the blacksmith shop, that is not happening today, so either it was due to lag last night or it has been fixed.

I did notice that the longer I stayed in a room the smoother things got...to a point.

-----------------------------------

Just an update, after entering the note above, I went back in and was all alone. Nobody in there. I think they have multiple servers/instances and since there is no way yet to crossover, it is possible to end up in an empty 'dimension.' Probably hitting the refresh key (F5) will drop you into another instance or logging back on (I find (F5) works faster). Also, if when logging in, the first screen sits there for more than a minute without the status bars increasing, just use the back arrow to move back to login and resubmit. It sometimes takes a few tries to register, espicially when their servers are busy.

TinkRocks
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I would like to apologize for venting my frustrations earlier. I'm sorry.

Even though I haven't received any e-mails after using 'contact us' button, I finally was able to log in for half hour last night around 11pm EST. However, like JP, I was all alone and couldn't talk either.

I logged in today as well - still no one around, no talk, and no spinning wheel. I did see that additional land after exiting the garden area, but can still only walk to the castle.

JPL
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
I went back to Creepy Kingdom for a while and still nobody to be seen are you sure these other players aren't in your heads? Or your shadow?
Correct me if I wrong but doesn't the word community suggest other people will be present?

chrisb26
05-23-2008, 01:39 PM
After finally being able to talk to people I find that the talk in this game and the talk in VMK are alike. Which is good. I think that is what we wanted this game for most is to be able to sit around and talk to each other. Which if they ever get talk and seeing people working will be a great place to do that in. The biggest issue I had with Club Penguin was that the talk was very difficult to use since you only had a little bubble over your head you had to talk fast. In VFK that isn't the case which is good.

I have also met a few staff members in the game who as said already are intrested in seeing comments and suggestions for making the game better.

After talking to some of the staff their big surprise for the game was that some of the VMK staff have found their way over to VFK. So far the staff from VMK I have seen or have heard a staff say is there are:

Phinny who is Finley in the game
HOST_Harmony is in the game
Cricket
Hurricane
Willa
Wolf
Lion
Cat
Aloha
Marsupial

I think there are more but I haven't seen them. Some of the new staff I have seen are:

Panda
Groovy

Phinny told me they will have host rooms and events just like in VMK. So that is neat as well.

So far my thoughts of the game is I do have hopes for it to get better which I'm sure it will. Right now they better put all their time into making it so we can see people and talk that is the most important thing if they can't see each other and talk people will not be staying very long.

I honestly don't know why they would let 50,000 people into a beta program I think after beta 2 they should have stoped no reason for so many because that is just going to overload things if you ask me.

I did notice that the longer I stayed in a room the smoother things got...to a point.

-----------------------------------

Just an update, after entering the note above, I went back in and was all alone. Nobody in there. I think they have multiple servers/instances and since there is no way yet to crossover, it is possible to end up in an empty 'dimension.' Probably hitting the refresh key (F5) will drop you into another instance or logging back on (I find (F5) works faster). Also, if when logging in, the first screen sits there for more than a minute without the status bars increasing, just use the back arrow to move back to login and resubmit. It sometimes takes a few tries to register, espicially when their servers are busy.

I have noticed this as well. It seems if I come in and out of rooms over and over and restart the game I will eventually find people.

I know for a fact there are different instences because I was talking to cat in the game (Nachocat) and something happened I think I crashed and when I came back where I saw people she said she hadn't moved but was no longer in the room and the people were talking about different things.

janmathatter
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
I was on for a while this morning and things were better. Talked to VFK Lion for a while (have talked to staff there more in 2 days than mostly the whole time I was on VMK). As he kept reminding everyone, it is a BETA game and there are bound to be problems and bugs. He also asked for help and suggestions to help the game. Having been in the Beta of VMK and POTCO, these things are annoying and frustrating, but are a part of the Beta experience.

jjramsey
05-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Just came out of game and was in the Stonehenge room. We got up to 20 people including VFK_Smiles. The action was smooth and everybody was talking. Things still scroll up the screen, but there seem to be a few more lines on the screen, so there is a little more time to see it. Smiles said that the action (seeing & talking) and lag issues are being worked on and that she is sure they will get better and better.

The staff I have seem are fairly uniform about:
1 - Remember, this is a different kingdom, so there will be lots of differences.
2 - There will also be similarities (noncopyright ones) as in chat, friends lists, and a lot more.
3 - They have a world of time and places for themes, costumes, lands, etc. so the possibilities are endless.
4 - There will be magic (charms)
5 - There will eventually be animals
6 - There will be quests (adventures)
7 - It will be educational, while keeping a fun element
8 - The 'corporate culture' of VFK is attempting to be styled in such a way, that even though they are being overwhelmed with questions and suggestions, the programmers and staff want to listen to and be very responsive to the needs and wants of the players (apparently in regards to the 'black hole' that we have discussed in the past).

I am also hoping that with the expanded chat dictionary, that it will not be so abused, that it limits conversations! It seems easier to converse with less dancing. Words can be used/repeated more twice in the same line without being red.

Also an interesting feature that is very useful in the big rooms is that when the staff talk, their chat lines have a red border.

mickeynuts
05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry to keep being so suspicious here, but does anybody else find it odd that with all the options out there so many experienced game moderators from VMK would choose to work for a brand new unproven site with no sign of any corporate support behind it? A couple, sure I'd believe that, but a list that long coupled with all the other things they have done to capitalize on VMK's success, it just looks fishy to me.

jjramsey
05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Sorry to keep playing devil's advocate here, but does anybody else find it odd that with all the options out there so many experienced game moderators from VMK would choose to work for a brand new unproven site with no sign of any corporate support behind it? A couple, sure I'd believe that, but a list that long coupled with all the other things they have done to capitalize on VMK's success, it just looks fishy to me.

Yes, that is an interesting point.

On the other hand, if I were VMK staff that were being dumped on the street without an offer of a job (which seemed to be the case in VMK with many of the staff), my skills and experience as a VMK staff member would be invaluable to a startup looking to have experienced help. Rather than training me, they can spend their resources improving the game.

In some of the discussions with VMK staff after the closing announcement, it seemed that many of them were in as much a state of shock over the closing as the players. Knowing water 'cooler politics,' it would not take much for one or two of them to convince other staff members to join them at VFK.

Personally, I feel that Disney was crazy to close VMK, and if they laid off the experienced staff (would just be another in an interesting line of crazy moves) the staff would be 110% in the clear to go where they wish...and take their experience with them! Any 'noncompetitive' agreements would probably be invalidated since Disney would close VMK (nothing to compete with) and Disney was the one to lay them off. It is not like firing for wrong doing and not like they left a 'going' concern to take trade secrets with them.

...just a long thought :blush:. Anybody else have any ideas?

JPL
05-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Still can't see anyone or talk this is crazy. I know it's beta but still I have logged about 50 times hit refresh 50 more times everything people suggested and I can't see another person or even my own chat.

jjramsey
05-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Still can't see anyone or talk this is crazy. I know it's beta but still I have logged about 50 times hit refresh 50 more times everything people suggested and I can't see another person or even my own chat.

I will go on, find a staff member, report it and see if they have any suggestions.

-------------------------------------

JP,

I am back.
Saw VFK_Tink and she said that even a few staff members are having this same issue. It is a known issue and the seeing/chatting bugs are the top priorities right now. She asked if I could find out from you your computer specs and then I could pass the info back to her or another staff member...not sure if that would narrow it down, but worth a try.

Type of computer
Specs
Operating system
Have you uninstalled flash then loaded it from adobe (along with the media player containing 'Air')?
Any other items you can think of?
(you can pm me if you do not want to post here)

She did say to not go crazy ;-0 but to try back every so often and see if the programmers have resolved this issue.

Interesting, but I have been able to find a staff member with in five minutes every time I log on...must be due to the small size of the kingdom right now...hmm like bugs in a jar ;-)

*tinker_belle*
05-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm pretty much over VFK already. I know its only day 2, finally i was able to get on. Same problems as everyone else though, cannot see a soul and no talking. I also was stuck in the barn area. Also there is no special feel to this place, it is very twilight zone to me. Especially since the VMK people are on VFK now. It's all very weird and I don't like change very much. This is a lot to take.

mickeynuts
05-23-2008, 03:13 PM
the staff would be 110% in the clear to go where they wish...and take their experience with them!

But wouldn't most take their experience to an established company instead of a start up? There are so many games out there, I would think an experienced Sulake employee would have many options to choose from.

chrisb26
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM

You're not the only one. I still haven't seen a single person or seen anybody talking at all today. Which is very frustrating since I've been trying all day.

JPL
05-23-2008, 03:26 PM
But wouldn't most take their experience to an established company instead of a start up? There are so many games out there, I would think an experienced Sulake employee would have many options to choose from.

Not if they really needed the money and nothing was being offered. I mean having a job while looking for another job is better than not getting any money at all. I'm sure they wouldn't be here if they were offered other jobs by Sulake or Disney.

JPL
05-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Sorry this makes me laugh

Coming later today

As the day unfolds we will be adding these features to our new world:

Enabling Friends List
Releasing the Wild West Setting
Room List

I'm what good is a friends list if I am the only person I can see :confused: :confused:

Sorry but IMHO these are the basics of the game who cares they added a Wild West Area when you still can't see people or chat :confused:

jjramsey
05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
JP, They have put most of the upgrades on hold until they fix the chat and visual issues. see the update to my previous note to you.

chrisb26
05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Sorry but IMHO these are the basics of the game who cares they added a Wild West Area when you still can't see people or chat :confused:

I agree.

Seeing people and being able to chat is something very basic that should have been taken care of before the game even opened. I understand this is beta and only the second day but if they can't even make it so you can see people and chat every time then how are they ever going fix the other major problems they are bound to have?