PDA

View Full Version : Yomd?

wilcat
04-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Have there been any 'couples' out there that got a wish or is it just groups? My DH is allowing me to drag (ha ha) him down in December and it would really be exciting if the Dream Squad was there to present us with something that week. I know these promotions are usually for family's and was just curious.

KylesMom
04-09-2008, 04:48 PM
I know these promotions are usually for family's In this case, definitely not true. Many folks who are couples have received dreams. In fact, an Intercot member was on his own on E:E when he received the overnight castle stay!

Oftentimes they'll give them out in groups; i.e., if "x' amount of people are in a pre-show or whatever, they may all get dreams (FPs, Ears, etc).

Don't be disappointed if you don't win a dream, however . . . we were at the parks for 15 days last June, and didn't receive anything - and really didn't see any dream team members to speak of. We had the best time ever, but we didn't go home with a pair of dream ears! :mickey:

LauraleeH
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just people chosen at random. I don't think they would discriminate or pass you by just because you don't have children. My family and I haven't won anything yet.

BluewaterBrad
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
We won dream pinlanyards when the yomd first started. Nothing since and we visit often. I believe its all random!!:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-09-2008, 09:21 PM
It's a very complicated, specific system that targets one person and one person only, especially the larger prizes.

The promotion is run by a third-party company, to cover the legality of it. They have a computer that will randomly select a prize, a park, time, land, ride, simulator or vehicle, row and finally a seat number. So that it goes to one person and there is no arguement over who is the winner. They have no way of knowing if the seat is empty, a single-rider, or family until the ride pulls in to unload and they see it for themselves. If no one is there, the prize goes back into the system for another chance.

Now, there is an advantage to having a larger group however, because you have more people and therefore, takeup more space in a single simulator, increasing the chances of winning in that specific vehicle or sim.

An example would be say, Expedition Everest. Dream Squad will get a ticket telling them to be at EE at say, 10:43 am. The ticket will say something like, 4th train, 3rd car, 2nd row, left seat. So the winner would be whoever was sitting in the 4th train on the track, in the 3rd car, the second row of the same car and the person on the left. That person is the winner! Yay!

Or Star Tours, there are 6 sims. If the ticket says, 6:07 pm, 4th sim, 5th row, seat 10 then that person who is on the ride at that time is the winner. Having 2 people means you only have a 2 out of 50 chance in getting it (1:25), but if you have 10 people, you'd have a 1 in 5 chance to win. So having more people just increased the probability of winning.

Ignore my horrible examples though. That's the best way to explain it. So they don't 'target' anyone, ignore couples, or tour groups, etc. Whoever wins the prize is the winner, regardless of the party size.

mrsgaribaldi
04-10-2008, 02:27 AM
I bet we've spent about 20 days in the parks total since the YOMD started and we have won nothing in the parks. I entered via mail and I won the lanyards and the pins:mickey: It was a nice surprise to open up:thumbsup:

BMan62
04-10-2008, 11:27 AM
200 postcards, 12 days in parks and nothing. Not disappointed though, 12 days in parks is Magical enough - with 8 more coming soon!!!!

wilcat
04-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the updates. Jessica you really explained how it works. I will keep my fingers crossed that we see the "Dream Squad" in December but if we don't it really doesn't matter. We go to WDW to relax and escape. We were never blessed with our own children but love watching their faces light up with the magic that is WDW.