PDA

View Full Version : Let the Puck Drop! Official NHL Playoff Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JPL
04-09-2008, 01:03 PM
I am sitting here at work hours before the drop of the puck and the excitement is starting to brew. Nothing in the World is better than playoff hockey. Can't wait to arrive at the Rock to take it all in for me this is the true first day of Spring :hockey:

Let's Go Devils!!!!

Rosanne
04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
JPL! Here we go again!

May the best team win! Of course, that would be the Rangers! (Ha JPL, I'm just playing with you!)

I have a feeling this will be a very long, stressful series.

Baseball doesn't even come into my radar screen for another two months because playoff hockey is the best!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I too am looking forward to the playoff games starting. My husband is in Minnesota and gets to go see the Wild play tonight thanks to Rolston. Wish I was there.:( Guess I'll have to catch that on TV tonight.

I'll be watching the Predators play the Red Wings on TV tomorrow night.

GO PREDATORS!

Mackflava99
04-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Lunquist was pretty excellent last night-
Rangers in 6

JPL
04-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Lunquist did play well last night unfortunately for the Devils 2 mistakes cost them the game before the mistakes it was a very evenly played game despite what the score showed. I still think this is going 7 Games and it's anyone's series. I predict a big bounce back response tomorrow night from the Devs.

Let's Go Devils!!!!

MMouse6937
04-11-2008, 01:22 PM
UM.....

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!

WOO HOO, that was quite a game. Johan is on fire!!

JPL, sorry about the Devils. I have to admit I can't stand the Devils as a whole team, but I absolutely LOVE Marty Brodeur, he is the ultimate professional and one of the best ever!! I felt bad watching him let that weak goal in...he'll do better, that's always guaranteed.

Was so glad to see the Ducks (or Dorks) get it handed to them...even if I'm not a huge fan of Dallas, watching any team making Pronger squirm is a bonus!

Bring on game 2!!! :number1:

Mackflava99
04-11-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree - i am worried about the Devils bouncing back- they are too good not to.

MMouse6937
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree - i am worried about the Devils bouncing back- they are too good not to.

Just noticing your location, I used to live in Sayreville, on Karcher street...what a small world! :)

disneyvivi1980
04-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Go Habs Go!

Montreal Canadiens in 5 against Boston

We won our first game last night... and we'll make it 2 tomorrow :)

walstib
04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
I was sweating it thru the 2nd, but how 'bout them Caps !! OV - MVP !:number1:

Ian
04-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Let's Go Devils!!!!

I predict a big bounce back response tomorrow night from the Devs.

Let's Go Devils!!!!
Yeah, how's that workin' out for you??? :razz:

Barry Melrose said last night, "If the Devils lose game 2 this series is over in 4 games." Not to rub salt in your gaping, open wounds or anything. :razz:

Flyers actually played a good game last night for two periods. They held Ovechkin completely in check and had a nice 2 goal cushion to start the 3rd.

Then they fell prey to the same laxy, overconfidence that has plagued this team under John Stevens. They can't close it out. They don't have that "Go for the jugular" mentality and I blame Stevens, because honestly? The dude barely has a pulse himself. He can't rile a team up ... he's too busy trying to stay awake. :mad:

I fully expect Washington to take this series ... probably in 6 ... but I'm hoping the Flyers do one of two things in the off-season to make sure they go a lot deeper next season.

They either need to fire Stevens and get a "back"buster coach in here to light a fire under this team or they need to bring in a real firey veteran kinda player that can do it for them. This team is sorely in need of another Keith Primeau.

Dulcee
04-12-2008, 02:26 PM
Ooooh I agree, Devils are going to have a real rough time bouncing back from being down two games.

I mean it took them 8 games :secret: before they could eek out a win in the regular season.

I will say they did put up a real amazing game yesterday, gotta love when it gets physical.

JPL
04-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Yeah, how's that workin' out for you??? :razz:

Barry Melrose said last night, "If the Devils lose game 2 this series is over in 4 games." Not to rub salt in your gaping, open wounds or anything. :razz:

Seems to be working out just about the same as it is for you neither team has won a playoff game yet :razz:

As for Barry melrose who cares what he says we all know he is Ranger at Heart.

Last night I will say we were robbed of a goal by Toronto the puck clearly hit Lunquist's pad which was well behind the goal line and it was overruled by Toronoto because they claimed their famous inconclusive BS! :mad: And the Officiating towards the end of the game was awful I mean the morons called us for icing when we were shorthanded :confused:

I will admit my hope is slipping but I haven't quite given up hope just yet.

Let's GO Devils!!!

Ian
04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Yeah, well I can't say I was thrilled with the refs last night either. The fact that they didn't call play when the Flyers were already shorthanded and then Thoresen went down was pretty weak. It lead directly to a backbreaking Caps goal.

Thoresen was clearly too injured to continue. Heck, he practically had to be carried off the ice. The refs effectively gave the Caps an unwarranted 5-3 power play, which basically won the game for them.

But I will say that at least the Flyers have only lost one. Thank God we're not down 2-0 like ... oh ... I dunno ... THE DEVILS!! :razz:

Rosanne
04-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Guys... I'm feeling pretty confident today.

Do I think we outplayed the Devils? At certain times. But they can't beat Henrik. That's what really matters...

Refs were awful all game long. Everything was getting called against the Rangers and until the third period, nothing was being called against the devils. There was a point where the devils had 7 guys on the ice, no call. Meanwhile, if anybody gets near Marty it's goalie interference. Horrible mistake by the icing call... I wish they got that one right so the Devils couldn't use that as an excuse for the loss.

But I'll take it. :) GO RANGERS!

Ian
04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Meanwhile, if anybody gets near Marty it's goalie interference.Oh, trust me ... I know exactly what you mean. Heaven forbid you get anywhere near "Marty's" crease. :shake:

JPL
04-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Then again I guess it's difficult to get any fair shakes in a league where the Commisioner has publicly stated he wants to see a Penguins vs Capitals Conference final in the East. Shouldn't a comissioner and the league in general be neutral on who wins :confused:

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-12-2008, 11:13 PM
The Red Wings might have won the first 2 games but I have faith that the Preds will win Monday. Ellis has been playing great!

Ian
04-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Then again I guess it's difficult to get any fair shakes in a league where the Commisioner has publicly stated he wants to see a Penguins vs Capitals Conference final in the East. Shouldn't a comissioner and the league in general be neutral on who wins :confused:In a real league, yes. But this is the NHL ... brought to you by the people who brought you the longest work stoppage in professional sports ... brought to you by the people that can't figure out how to make one of the most exiting games in all of sports popular ... brought to you by the people that managed to lose their television contract with ESPN ...

I mean it's okay to think you'd like to see a Crosby/Ovechkin Conference Final. You just shouldn't say it publicly.

I'm surprised he isn't trying to find ways to move the Pens to the Western Conference between now and the Stanley Cup. :rolleyes:

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-13-2008, 01:02 PM
In a real league, yes. But this is the NHL ... brought to you by the people who brought you the longest work stoppage in professional sports ... brought to you by the people that can't figure out how to make one of the most exiting games in all of sports popular ... brought to you by the people that managed to lose their television contract with ESPN ...

I mean it's okay to think you'd like to see a Crosby/Ovechkin Conference Final. You just shouldn't say it publicly.

I'm surprised he isn't trying to find ways to move the Pens to the Western Conference between now and the Stanley Cup. :rolleyes:

And lets an owner destroy a team while it's for sale....then turn around and purchase another.

He claims that the refs are right 99% of the time. I hate to say it but I have to disagree. I've seen them call penalties that should have been called and not call ones that really should have been called.

They need to market the sport so it will grow. Whether you watch football, nascar, etc. you know who some of the players are. They have commercials for games and the players do commercials. Peyton Manning is in tons of commercials. They need to do the one of those going to WDW commercials at the end of the Stanley Cup.

Ian
04-13-2008, 04:43 PM
He claims that the refs are right 99% of the time. I hate to say it but I have to disagree.Yeah, that's just a ridiculous statement to make anyway. It's the non-calls that are just as important as the wrong calls. Did they review every single second of game footage to look for every single instance where a penalty could have been called, but wasn't.

Not that that's relevant anyway, because I don't think they get 99% of the calls they make right either.

Seems to be working out just about the same as it is for you neither team has won a playoff game yet :razz:Sorry, brutha. You're all on your own there now.

Flyers 2, Capitals 0.

What's really encouraging me is that, quite honestly, the Flyers have dramatically outplayed the Capitals for 5 out of the 6 periods thus far. If not for that sloppy third period in game one, we'd be up 2-0 right now.

walstib
04-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I thought my Caps had Philly right where they wanted them by trailing by only 2 goals...isn't that where the magic happened for game 1:thumbsup:

the Flyers have dramatically outplayed the Capitals for 5 out of the 6 periods thus far. If not for that sloppy third period in game one, we'd be up 2-0 right now.

It seems like my Caps are sleepwalking right now...they better wake up for the next 2 road games. Oh well, at least the "comish" wants us in the Conf finals.;)

Ian
04-13-2008, 08:04 PM
It seems like my Caps are sleepwalking right now...they better wake up for the next 2 road games. Oh well, at least the "comish" wants us in the Conf finals.;)It might not be sleepwalking, it might just be nerves.

If I understand correctly, there aren't many guys on the Caps with playoff experience. They're talented, but raw and it's really hard being the favorite when you're inexperienced.

The Flyers have a couple guys with rings on their team, so that could be helping to keep them settled. And, of course, they're the underdogs, so there's not the expectations there are for the Caps.

JPL
04-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Overtime here :thumbsup:

PirateLover
04-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Overtime here :thumbsup:

You know what's something... My fiancee lives in South Jersey and is a Devils fan. The game was on VS, but they preempted it in our area for some kind of rodeo competition or something!? What the heck!? The guide still said it was supposed to be playoff hockey as well. I love watching playoff hockey no matter what team. I can't believe they feel that people in that region would rather watch bull riding.

PirateLover
04-14-2008, 10:36 AM
You know what's something... My fiancee lives in South Jersey and is a Devils fan. The game was on VS, but they preempted it in our area for some kind of rodeo competition or something!? What the heck!? The guide still said it was supposed to be playoff hockey as well. I love watching playoff hockey no matter what team. I can't believe they feel that people in that region would rather watch bull riding.
To add more to this mystery, apparently when people called VS to complain, they said it was the NHL's decision to black it out????????!!!!!!!

Mackflava99
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I am worried now that we gave the Devils some sunlight- they may wake up- which scares me.

Mackflava99
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
haha- i am on St peter- not far from Karcher-

JPL
04-14-2008, 11:14 AM
Well VS is a joke network the worst move the NHL ever made. I still don't understand how hockey fits in with Rodeo, hunting and fishing shows :confused:

That being said big win for the Devs last night :D Glad they finally exposed "Queen Henrieta" for some goals. And Avery is a disgrace on the ice with that face Guarding of Broduer that the official and his own teammate had to tell him to stop. I really wish someone would put him through the boards already :mad:

Let's Go Devils!!!!

PirateLover
04-14-2008, 01:00 PM
The new excuse is that somehow they lost the feed in the Philadelphia area and ONLY the Philadelphia area.... sounds fishy to me. Whatever though.
Oh and by the way, I don't even think I've popped in this thread yet to say...

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-14-2008, 02:56 PM
After Chelios comments about Nashville fans....I really want to see the Preds win and Tootoo check him so hard he flies down the ice.:thedolls:

LET'S GO PREDATORS!

JPL
04-14-2008, 04:49 PM
It's really sad a time of year with some great hockey being played the top News story in the league is about a 2nd rate piece of trash like Avery :mad: Atleast the league realizes it and is taking action

The Avery Rule (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=360438)

Ian
04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
I am worried now that we gave the Devils some sunlight- they may wake up- which scares me.Trust me ... you're talking to a Flyers fan who still remembers to 2000 Conference Finals series ... you should be scared! The only way to deal with a pest like the Devils is to stomp on it and kill it right away.

It's really sad a time of year with some great hockey being played the top News story in the league is about a 2nd rate piece of trash like Avery :mad: Atleast the league realizes it and is taking action

The Avery Rule (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=360438)You know what? Cry me a darn river, Jeff! I think Avery was just trying to make a point. The refs protect "Marty" in that crease like he's made of glass, for heaven's sake. It's about time someone got in his face and rattled him like that. I'm glad Avery did what he did.

Brodeur gets FAR MORE than adequate protection from the zebras, and honestly I think it's pretty whiny to complain about what Avery did. Tell "Marty" to gut it out and learn to play hockey like the rest of the NHL goalies have to ... with people in your crease.

Mackflava99
04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Avery was trying to agitate Broduer and trying to make a point that he gets preferential treatment in the crease...
Either way Avery is actually a better hockey player than others realize and most people would like him on their team.
he looks like a hansen brother in that picture

PirateLover
04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
While I agree the Marty is overly protected by the refs and it's really frustrating sometimes, I can't say that I blame Jeff for being upset. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if someone was doing that to my goaltender. I do in fact find it unsportsmanlike... but at the same time, so much of what makes hockey great is that kind of controversy ;)

Ian
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't care. I hate the Devils and will rip them any chance I get. ;)

Mackflava99
04-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I bleed Ranger Blue, I am as diehard as they come. I have a Vic hadfield jersey and a Stephan Matteau autographed puck under my pillow. But for some reason i end up going to more Devils than Ranger games each year ( because my best friend has season tickets) so i go and always root against them. This is a tough task because they always find a way to win. As much as I dont like the devils- I have a respect for them, and i actually do like brodeur because i was a goalie in college and appreciate good goaltenders.
But I still side with Avery-

PirateLover
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't care. I hate the Devils and will rip them any chance I get. ;)
Hah, me too. In fact I get called a witch by my fiancé's friend because he's a Devils fan (not super hardcore, but definitely a fan) and I won't let him purchase any kind of Devils memorabilia. We were at a local Model's once and he found an Elias t-shirt. I sad I would burn it if he bought it. He refuses to even consider living in the city with me, so I tell him if I have to sacrifice the city, there will be no Devils merchandise on his person or in my house.

What's even crazier is that he was also a casual Mets fan for a while... over the 6 years we've been dating I finally got him to be a Phillies fan and now baseball is his favorite sport. He went from whining when I'd want to watch games on TV to feverishly checking Spring Training scores!!! Maybe one day I can turn him away from the :thedolls:

JPL
04-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Maybe some day the Flyers will have a real goalie and their fans will understand ;)

PirateLover
04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Maybe some day the Flyers will have a real goalie and their fans will understand ;)

Hey now! I was actually sticking up for you in my first post:fresh:

JPL
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Just for the record I do like Biron. I met him a few times and he is a class guy probably the best Goalie the Flyers have had since they last won the Cup in 75.

Mackflava99
04-15-2008, 03:40 PM
So you are basically saying Bernie Parent was their best goalie of all time-
I actually agree

Ian
04-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Maybe some day the Flyers will have a real goalie and their fans will understand ;)Don't get me wrong, Jeff. I realize Brodeur is a fantastic goaltender ... one of the best ever, no doubt.

But I've never been a fan, in any sport, of the whole "preferential treatment from the refs for superstars" thing. I think it damages the integrity of the game and undermines people's confidence in the league.

MMouse6937
04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
After Chelios comments about Nashville fans....I really want to see the Preds win and Tootoo check him so hard he flies down the ice.:thedolls:

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it. 22 is young enough to be Cheli's kid and he's one bad you know what.

It's the playoffs, he said what he said to irritate people, it's what he does best ;)

I agree with Ian's beef about Marty but I'm sorry, the man still is amazing to watch, nobody does it better. Avery would be wise to close his mouth and open his eyes and learn from one of the masters. I say this even though I actually despise the Devils, but goaltender is my favorite position and I can appreciate greatness.

I really don't think the ref's "star" treatment of Marty could do anymore to tarnish the league. It's already seen as a joke in most of the country. Our city's high school baseball team gets more coverage on the news than the NHL. Shame. :confused:

JPL
04-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, Jeff. I realize Brodeur is a fantastic goaltender ... one of the best ever, no doubt.

But I've never been a fan, in any sport, of the whole "preferential treatment from the refs for superstars" thing. I think it damages the integrity of the game and undermines people's confidence in the league.

Brodeur gets far from preferential treatment from the league as a matter of fact they added the trapezoid to stop his style of play. When he won his 500th game this year he barely got a mention on the NHL website. Bettman and the league only give preferential treatment to their superstar scorers ie. Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin. The league also has it's favorite teams that get similair treatment like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and just about any Canada based team.

Ian
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
The league also has it's favorite teams that get similair treatment like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and just about any Canada based team.I'll certainly agree with you on the Canada based teams. Some of the games between the Flyers and Leafs have been among the worst officiated sporting contests I've ever seen.

I'll never forget back in the 2004 2nd round playoff matchup between the Flyers and Leafs ... you remember Jeff, after we ousted the Devils? ;) .... I swore we were playing two teams and not just one. We had to combat the Leafs on the ice and the litanny of bad calls from the refs. :shake:

Mackflava99
04-15-2008, 05:20 PM
the NHL website. Bettman and the league only give preferential treatment to their superstar scorers ie. Crosby, Malkin & Ovechkin. The league also has it's favorite teams that get similair treatment like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and just about any Canada based team.

I totally agree with JPL's quote- the NHL has a strange marketing plan, because they really need to publicize the real stars - Even when Brenden shanahan scored milestone goals , noone seemed to care-
They are trying to find the NEXT-Gretsky- and are lissing the point that the game itself sells itself as long as the people actually give it a chance.
Bettman is a terrible commish- he doesnt even know the game.
I cannot understand why they wanted washington in so badly ? ok they get a primetime scorer, but actually they are not a great team at all. No real history- the old Caps were never a dynasty, they were always good but not good enough.

Rosanne
04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
If Avery was on any other team, I'd probably hate him too. But he's on my team. He gets results. He gets attention. What he did the other night was not against the rules. It was within the rules and frankly, I thought it was brilliant. What Marty did (slap him with the stick) was against the rules.

Now here comes the NHL with the "Avery rule".

Was there a rule in place when Ulf Samuelsson played defense and tipped the back of the player's helmets so it would cover their eyes in the front? Isn't that unsportsmanlike?

My point- Marty is a brilliant goaltender. So much so that it makes me sick :ack:. But all he ever does is complain and he always gets his way. If a player other than Avery did that to any other goaltender, it would have been on a highlight reel and that's about it. He does get preferential treatment. He does. And if he screws up, or doesn't get his way, it's always someone elses fault. Never his own. I'm just glad I don't have him on my team, because I would find that very hard to stomach.

Meanwhile, this is turning out to be a classic series. Both teams are finally playing with that playoff desperation that I love. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wasn't expecting an easy series... the :thedolls: never make it easy for us.

I'll be screaming tonight.
LETS GO RANGERS!

Ian
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Well the good news is the Flyers are doing their best to ensure that Bettman does not get his way. ;)

Honestly, if not for that one bad period, this series wouldn't even be close. The Flyers have completely and totally dominated this team through 8 out of the 9 periods.

I mean yeah, the Caps were within one goal last night, but the Flyers immediately struck back and blew the game wide open.

I honestly think this series is going to end in 5. I think the Caps are done.

Oh and by the way ... I lost any modicum of respect for Ovechkin that I might have had last night. He took one of the worst dives I have ever seen in my life last night. Seriously ... it was pathetic. If you missed it, go dig up the video. He touched skates with one of the Flyers and literally leaped into the air, twisting his body around like some kind of figure skater. It was so pathetically obvious that I figured he was getting an unsportsmanlike for sure.

Nope ...... tripping called on the Flyers, no unsportsmanlike called. It was so clearly a favorable call because he's Ovechkin. Anyone who thinks the refs don't favor the stars needs to check this video and then come back and tell me that.

Rosanne
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Well the good news is the Flyers are doing their best to ensure that Bettman does not get his way. ;)

Honestly, if not for that one bad period, this series wouldn't even be close. The Flyers have completely and totally dominated this team through 8 out of the 9 periods.

I mean yeah, the Caps were within one goal last night, but the Flyers immediately struck back and blew the game wide open.

I honestly think this series is going to end in 5. I think the Caps are done.

Oh and by the way ... I lost any modicum of respect for Ovechkin that I might have had last night. He took one of the worst dives I have ever seen in my life last night. Seriously ... it was pathetic. If you missed it, go dig up the video. He touched skates with one of the Flyers and literally leaped into the air, twisting his body around like some kind of figure skater. It was so pathetically obvious that I figured he was getting an unsportsmanlike for sure.

Nope ...... tripping called on the Flyers, no unsportsmanlike called. It was so clearly a favorable call because he's Ovechkin. Anyone who thinks the refs don't favor the stars needs to check this video and then come back and tell me that.

Exactly why I can't stand Crosby. Or Brodeur.

These guys are so incredibly talented. WHY? WHY dive?

Then again, who could really blame them if the refs fall for it every single time. Grrr. :mad:

JPL
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I still don't see how when the league puts in a where the goalie play the puck rule is giving Brodeur preferrential treatment they took away a big part of his game and style in doing so. Actually I think all goalies are getting the shaft since all Bettman wants to see is more scoring he wants 8-7 hockey games every night with the last goal being scored in the final minutes of the 3rd. He is falling into the same trap that MLB and NBA fell into with the scoring. MLB thought People wanted more homeruns turned their backs on the steroids and became a joke. The NBA is still looking for the next Jordan to score 100 points a night with no defense. The most exciting Hockey game I ever witnessed was a 0-0 game with Hasek and Brodeur putting a show all the way through overtime.

Rosanne
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
JPL- Here's what I don't understand about the goalie argument.

Brodeur is arguably the best puck-handling goaltender ever. When he plays the puck, he's better than 90% of your defensemen. However, when he handles the puck, most of the time it requires him to leave the crease (whether it be behind the net or out to the blue line). If someone goes as far as taping him while he is out of the crease, he flails about like he was hit with a Mac truck.

I STRONGLY believe (my goalies included) that if a goalie is out of the crease to play the puck, he should be treated like ANY OTHER SKATER on the ice. He can be hit (legally of course).

I think the trapezoid rule discourages goalies from playing the puck like Brodeur does. But I think part of the reason for this is to protect goalies.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it. 22 is young enough to be Cheli's kid and he's one bad you know what.

You might doubt it but they did win 5 to 3 and Tootoo gave Chelios a couple of hits. At 25 he might be young enough to be his kid but what does that have to do with anything? Here's hoping to another win against Detroit tonight!

LET'S GO PREDATORS!

JPL
04-16-2008, 01:19 PM
If someone goes as far as taping him while he is out of the crease, he flails about like he was hit with a Mac truck.

I don't what games you have been watching but even in Sunday's game Avery him him behind the net and he simply skated back to his crease with no reaction at all. You also have to remember goalie equipment is very cumbersome so a hit that might not throw a regular skater off balance can easily throw a goalie off balance.

As for other times it's a sad state in the league but if I a goalie doesn't react to contact in front of the net is never gets called. Every goalie in the league reacts to contact in front of the net for this simple reason if you get bumped nothing is called and a goal is scored you have no recourse. This is new trend ever since the rules were put in the by the league that limits the defense from clearing the crease like the old days which in turn lead to more contact with goaltenders.

The trapezoid rule was put into affect because Bettman thought by not letting the Goalies play the puck it would lead to more forechecking and scoring. When a team dumped the puck in too many goalies were copying the style of Brodeur and even before him Hextall and clearing the puck out to center. It has absolutely nothing to do with protecting the goalies.

Ian
04-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Actually, the trapezoid rule was put into play to remedy exactly what Rosanne said it was ... the fact that goalies could play the puck with impugnity behind their net and it gave a HUGE advantage to teams that had puck-handling goalies.

You basically had an untouchable third defenseman on the ice which, anyone would have to agree, is not really in the spirit of the game.

I think it's a good rule and one that's still not enforced the way it could be.

JPL
04-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I think it's a good rule and one that's still not enforced the way it could be.

I think if the Flyers had a good puck moving Goalie he would feel differently ;)

Ian
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
I think if the Flyers had a good puck moving Goalie he would feel differently ;)I absolutely would not. Honestly, I feel the way about goalies that I do about quarterbacks ... if you're on the field/ice, take a hit like everyone else.

I always thought it was ridiculous that goalies were allowed to come out of the net to play the puck and no one could touch them. I mean I don't even understand how anyone could defend that for any reason. It's absurd to have a player on the ice that has all of the abilities of everyone else in terms of being able to make plays, but that's off limits to defend against.

Either a goalie is a goalie or he's a defenseman ... one means you should protect him and the other means he should be fair game. Wanting to have a goalie who handles the puck but can't be touched is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Rosanne
04-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Either a goalie is a goalie or he's a defenseman ... one means you should protect him and the other means he should be fair game. Wanting to have a goalie who handles the puck but can't be touched is like wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Exactly. And at least if he was considered a defenseman, he would be called for diving OR slashing.

Personally, I would rather have a goalie who stopped the puck and passed it off to the defensemen to play it, rather than doing it himself. He'll become a household name if he keeps the puck out of the net, not for all the "extras". Brodeur's giveaway to Callahan earlier in this series is an example of this. I would much rather my goalie freeze that puck instead of play it. That's a superstar in my book.

I guess we agree to disagree JPL. Then again, I never actually expect us to agree on anything, since we are both very much set in our beliefs. I think we both love our teams very much :)

Mackflava99
04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
JPL' explaination of the trapazoid rule is spot on correct-
And Hextall was one of the guys who used to do it prior to Martin ( though he wasnt half as good a goalie)
I played goalie in college and yes you are more likely to fall over if hit when you are not expecting it, though if you do have time to brace, you can take a pretty hard hit.
I never tolerated people in the crease and i would hit back, but i got in a few fights which got my coach mad at me for starting.

Avery was baiting him, but actually maybe it got him so enraged it woke him up a little...
Avery is no different than Claude Lemeiux was so Devil fans really are hypocritical to be so enraged. They can be upset, but they also have to have some memories....

The funniest thing about it is that not many Devils stood up for him and went after Avery. I was pretty surprised , he must not be well liked with his teammates. maybe i am wrong, but it seemed to me that if i was on the Devils and i saw a guy doing that he'd be flattened.

Rosanne
04-16-2008, 04:09 PM
When the Devils "snowed" Lundqvist, there was a pileup afterwards.

And if I was Marty, I would have been a little upset that my team didn't try to move Avery away during his antics.

Ian
04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
JPL' explaination of the trapazoid rule is spot on correct-Okay, I mean yeah ... was the end result to make it easier for the offense to score goals? Yes. It was definitely meant to boost scoring.

So in that context Jeff is right. But that doesn't mean it's not an intelligent, common sense rule. It is. There's no way you can have a player on a team that's fully capable of doing everything another player can do, but isn't subject to the same defensive style of play. It's ridiculous.

I also take issue with your statement that Hextall wasn't "half as good as Brodeur." Was he as good? No ... not quite. But he was darn good. Certainly more than half as good as Brodeur. He carried the Flyers all the way through that '87 playoffs on his back and took one of the greatest hockey teams in history to a Game 7.

When Wayne Gretzky says you're the best goalie he ever played against, I'd say that pretty much puts you in an elite class of netminders.

JPL
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
And if I was Marty, I would have been a little upset that my team didn't try to move Avery away during his antics.

Kind of Difficult to do when you are trying to kill off a 5 on 3 PP

MMouse6937
04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
At 25 he might be young enough to be his kid but what does that have to do with anything?

Basically just experience and grit. Cheli doesn't take anything from anyone and he makes the young guys look like a joke, I just enjoy watching the master doing what he does best. Tootoo won't get the best of him and he can't hurt him...he's been around the block too long for that to happen.

We'll see what happens tonight. I don't doubt it will go more games, I didn't think it would be a sweep, but not too worried at this point.

Go Wings!

Rosanne
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Kind of Difficult to do when you are trying to kill off a 5 on 3 PP

You mean to tell me nobody could give him a shot or a shove while he was standing right in front?

Game four so far- Marty should get an academy award.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-17-2008, 02:33 AM
The Predators won again! Take that Detroit! Now it's even 2-2....here's hoping to a win Friday in Detroit.

And again Tootoo got some nice hits on old man Chelios.

Go Preds!

Ian
04-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I actually watched a good bit of Devils/Rangers last night and I agree ... Marty took at least two blatantly obvious dives that I saw. And on one he did the, "Let me stay down on the ice for a minute so the refs thing I'm injured" thing.

Fortunately, neither dive I saw worked. I thought Marty was "classy"? :ack:

Anyway, I was very happy with the outcome of the game. Although, truth be told, this series is a lot like a Giants/Cowboys game. I won't really like it no matter who wins.

Mackflava99
04-17-2008, 09:17 AM
It was nice to see Stall go from major goat to hero-

As for Hextall- I know he was good, but i don't put him in the class of Marty- of the hextall family, he isn't even the top hickey player...

I used to work near Philly and go to alot of games, he was definitely a very good goalie. I just dont think he was great. But maybe because the fans sitting near me were vicious to him i was influenced, but he was not a fan favorite....
Pedro martinez says that Enrique Wilson was the toughest out he ever faced, Enrique hit like .440 against him, just because Pedro says that doesnt make enrique a good hitter, it was just a good match up.

Ian
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
But maybe because the fans sitting near me were vicious to him i was influenced, but he was not a fan favorite....Ron Hextall was not a fan favorite??? HUH???

Ummm ... you need to pull up the video of his induction ceremony into the Flyers Hall of Fame from earlier this season. Ron Hextall was (and is) one of the most beloved players in Flyers history.

Maybe you were going to the games towards the end of his second tenure with the Flyers? Then the shine was off his apple a little bit, I think.

NJGIRL
04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I know I am butting in here but we owned Flyers season tickets for 15 years and from being at many many games while he was playing Ron Hextell was definately a fan favorite.

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I also have to defend Hexy a little bit. He was an amazing goaltender when he first came into the league. He not only won the Vezina trophy but also won the Conn Smythe despite the fact that the Flyers didn't even win the Stanley Cup. He's up there in the record books for the pace in which he recorded his first 50 wins or something like that (too lazy to look it up to be honest). He was also the first goaltender to ever score a goal. Overall he was a pretty darn consistent goalie. He had a season where he served a multi game suspension for slashing and was also injured for a significant time, and then he had a poor season the year after.

As far as the fans go, they certainly loved him his first time around. I mean he led all goalies in penalty minutes and had a penchant for slashing which of course gets the fans all riled up. But then he was traded away in the Lindros deal, and by the end of his second term here, fans were definitely getting tired of him letting in the soft goals. I did attend games in which he was booed unmercifully. However, time is the healer of all wounds and the fans have forgiven the bad times and now choose to remember the good times, and do love him.

Ian
04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Good points about Hexy ... I'm not sure how anyone can say that a goaltender who won both a Vezina and a Conn Smythe (as a member of the losing team, no less) wasn't a great goalie. :confused:

One thing I forgot to mention ... who's leading the NHL in goal scoring during the playoffs?? Is it Sydney Crosby? No. Alex Ovechkin? No.

It's Danny Briere, baby! Yeah, he's technically tied for the lead with two other players, but he's the only one who's only played 3 games.

Disappointing regular season, but Danny's stepping it up in the playoffs!

JPL
04-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe all of you who thinbk Marty is complaining and acting should read his comments

"They went to the net," Brodeur said. "The Jagr one, he's going to the net trying to score and I'm trying to make a save and he goes right through my crease. We had contact. That's just part of the game. We've just got to make sure these areas, guys can't go there freely and right now, for some reason, they're able to get to the front of the net with a lot of speed or for rebounds. They're around the net a lot. They're hungry to score goals."

The reason Flyer and Rangers Fans hate Marty is quite simple

3 Cups

And Ian as for rolling around hurt let me have Jagr with a full head of steam crash into the side of your head with his knee and see how you feel and react. Oh and what about Biron the other night when he took the shot off the mask and laid there for a few minutes I guess that was fine

Ian
04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Maybe all of you who thinbk Marty is complaining and acting should read his comments

The reason Flyer and Rangers Fans hate Marty is quite simple

3 Cups

And Ian as for rolling around hurt let me have Jagr with a full head of steam crash into the side of your head with his knee and see how you feel and react. Oh and what about Biron the other night when he took the shot off the mask and laid there for a few minutes I guess that was fineDude, no offense but that statement about Biron is completely idiotic. You're not going to draw a penalty by going down after taking a shot in the mask!!! And I don't even see what you're talking about with the Brodeur comments ... looks like whining to me.

I just read this on FanNations' truth and rumors site:

Rangers inside Brodeur's head?
Martin Brodeur got bumped and banged around, and did a little bit of diving as well. He even took his own mask off at one point during the middle of a Rangers' power play after getting jostled by Jaromir Jagr. The Devils goaltender rarely gets rattled, but it's fair to say he was a little bit like a James Bond martini last night. And Marc Staal's winning goal with 3:13 left that put Brodeur's Devils in a 3-1 series hole was a pretty stoppable shot, so perhaps the Rangers, even without the antics of Sean Avery, are getting inside Brodeur's head. He was whistled for diving when Fredrik Sjostrom was shoved into Brodeur by Devils defenseman Vitaly Vishnevski - Sjostrom somehow got a goaltender interference minor as well - and then, later in the second period, Jagr drove off the boards untouched and grazed Brodeur's mask while trying to jam in a shot.Seems like I'm not the only one thinking Marty is putting on a little show. And I totally agree with their description of what Jagr did ... graze his mask ... as opposed to yours that he "crashed into him with a full head of steam." He came off the boards behind the net and across the crease ... it's basically impossible for anyone to have a full head of steam doing that.

Also of interest, considering some comments in this thread about the refs:

Is NHL officiating in crisis?

The NHL is in the midst of an officiating crisis, and everyone in hockey knows it. Linesmen call icing against a team killing a penalty. Referees guess, work with personal agendas and at cross-purposes from their partners. Everyone in hockey sees it. Everyone has seen it all year. Everyone except for the commissioner.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Is there video of this Brodeur/Jagr incident? I'd like to see it.

Also Ian that is a great quote about the refs. They have been making terrrible calls and not calling ones that people who didn't even know hockey could have made. At least Magoo retired!

JPL
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Dude, no offense but that statement about Biron is completely idiotic. You're not going to draw a penalty by going down after taking a shot in the mask!!!

It negated a Washington Scoring chance by his laying on the ice the whistle blew right?
The point is all goalies are protected to an extent while some may feel Brodeur is protected more by the officials I really don't think so.
I just think in general Goalies have built up a bag of tricks over the years they use to thier advantage. Lunquist did it in OT during Game 3when after an icing he magically needed his strap adjusted which happened to give his tired teammates extra rest. Biron was stunned but probably not as bad as he made it appear he realized he couldn't get back into position so he stayed down and got the whistle having no idea where the puck was after the shot.

The fact is Broduer himself said it shouldn't have been a penalty that he was just going to the net. The one play where Brodeur embellished he got a penalty and he should have although even the Ranger announcers said it was borderline.

As for the source of FanNations article it was New York Newsday Those comments are from a Rangers Beat writer don't see how they hold any credibility? Might as well have just asked a Drunken Ranger Fan after the game.

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Jeff, the Rangers and Flyers fans don't hate Marty just because of 3 cups. It's got nothing to do with jealousy. These are intense division rivalries and it goes a lot deeper. If he were in the Western Conference and had 3 cups we wouldn't care. If he had zero cups, I'd still hate him because he's in a Devils uniform and throughout the years he's proven himself to be a puzzle that the Flyers often have trouble solving.

Mackflava99
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Part of the fun about routing for our teams is the rivalry-

Devils, Rangers,Flyers and even the islanders- when they are all good at the same time- there is no rivalry like it in any sport-

My recollection of Hextall and the fans getting on him was during the 2nd go-round. I do remember him prior and i know he was good, but come on , i am a Ranger fan, i will never say he was good-:) John VanBiesBrook was way better ( lol)

Mackflava99
04-17-2008, 02:13 PM
As for the source of FanNations article it was New York Newsday Those comments are from a Rangers Beat writer don't see how they hold any credibility? Might as well have just asked a Drunken Ranger Fan after the game.

Ranger fans drunk ? never

Ian
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Jeff, the Rangers and Flyers fans don't hate Marty just because of 3 cups. It's got nothing to do with jealousy. These are intense division rivalries and it goes a lot deeper. If he were in the Western Conference and had 3 cups we wouldn't care. If he had zero cups, I'd still hate him because he's in a Devils uniform and throughout the years he's proven himself to be a puzzle that the Flyers often have trouble solving.Only at the Meadowlands ... we have no problem solving him here and we solved him quite well last time we met the Devils in the playoffs.

This is my last word on Marty and then I'll let it drop, but the bottom line is the dude can be rattled pretty easily. You harrass him ... get in his way ... get in his crease and he gets off his game almost right away. I saw the Flyers do the same exact thing to him during the '04 playoffs and it worked just as well as what the Rangers are doing to him this series.

I think the Flyers took that series from the Devils in either 4 or 5 games and it was largely because "Marty" folded like a cheap suit. The dude isn't a God ... he's a great goalie, but he can and has been gotten to many times before.

Now the one thing I will say is that the Devils haven't always fielded the best team around him either, so they definitely wouldn't have had as much success without him.

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
I think the Flyers took that series from the Devils in either 4 or 5 games and it was largely because "Marty" folded like a cheap suit. The dude isn't a God ... he's a great goalie, but he can and has been gotten to many times before.

It was 5 games. I only know because I was at Continental Airlines Arena the one game the Flyers lost ;)

Ian
04-17-2008, 05:33 PM
It was 5 games. I only know because I was at Continental Airlines Arena the one game the Flyers lost ;)Yeah, we had a playoff plan that year, so I was at games 3 and 4. I was just bummed I missed game 5 where we bounced 'em ... I was SO looking forward to singing "Na na na na ... na na na na ... Hey Hey Hey ... Goodbye!" to the Devils.

That was the year of that incredible game 6 against Tampa. I was at that game, too. Best hockey game I've ever seen, live or otherwise.

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, we had a playoff plan that year, so I was at games 3 and 4. I was just bummed I missed game 5 where we bounced 'em ... I was SO looking forward to singing "Na na na na ... na na na na ... Hey Hey Hey ... Goodbye!" to the Devils.

That was the year of that incredible game 6 against Tampa. I was at that game, too. Best hockey game I've ever seen, live or otherwise.
Not to get on a whole reminiscent side track, but I loved that entire playoff run. I was in WDW during the Maple Leafs series. It was my first time ever on a vacation without my parents. I wore my Flyers gear everywhere and met so many people from Philly, it really made me feel at home. I can remember sitting in our Pop Century room eating bad pizza when Jeremy Roenick scored the overtime goal sending us to the Eastern Conference finals. I just went wild and my boyfriend (now fiancé) told me to tone it down so I didn't disturb our neighbors :blush: I then went outside to call my dad and celebrate.

The best Flyers game I ever attended was the game in 2000 at the Meadowlands when we went up 3 games to 1 on the Devils. There were so many Flyers fans there, in fact our entire section was Flyers fans. At one point you could hear the chant of "Last home game" reverberating throughout the arena. On the way home it was just a caravan of everyone whooping and hollering down the turnpike on the way back to Philly. We won't discuss how that series ended though :secret:

Ian
04-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I was in WDW during the Maple Leafs series.I was at all the home games for the Leafs series, but I missed the first two home games against the Lightning because we were in WDW. I sold my tickets for a pretty penny, though, let me tellya. Darn near paid for our trip!

And ... as we sit here 12 minutes from faceoff ... let me just say ...

LET'S GO FLYERS!!

Ian
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
How sweet it is! :smokin:

What a gutsy performance this team gave tonight. Every time they got behind they knuckled down and pulled themselves back into it.

The Caps made it tough tonight at least ... this was not an easy win, but it was definitely a huge one! :marg:

LET'S GO FLYERS!!

PirateLover
04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, what a game. Of course I had to pick this week to start my diet which excludes alcoholic beverages. I could've used one of those margaritas , oh about halfway into the 1st period. I'm just glad it wasn't another 5 overtimer. I don't think I could've handled it!

GO FLYERS!
VENGEANCE NOW! (lol)

Ian
04-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm just glad it wasn't another 5 overtimer. I don't think I could've handled it!Yeah, but be honest ... that was the best Flyers game ever. ;)

VENGEANCE NOW! (lol)Yeah, did you see all that stuff the Washington Post said about Philly?? What are they, ballerinas down there or something?? I guess now I understand why Ovechkin has taken to doing triple axels all over the ice. :secret:

PirateLover
04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah, but be honest ... that was the best Flyers game ever. ;)
Yea, but only because they won! Nothing better than overtime hockey but It's sooo nerve wracking.

Yeah, did you see all that stuff the Washington Post said about Philly?? What are they, ballerinas down there or something?? I guess now I understand why Ovechkin has taken to doing triple axels all over the ice. :secret:
Yea, I loved the line about how the women look like they should be security for Megadeth and how the fans are frothing. The most hilarious part of the whole thing was that the Flyers actually made copies of the article with the best parts highlighted and they were going to distribute them to everyone at the game, but the Washington Post found out and hit them with a cease and desist order. :rotfl:

Ian
04-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Buh-bye Devils. ;)

JPL
04-18-2008, 11:26 PM
In all honesty we over achieved all season the only thing that makes this truly painful is who we lost to in the first round. Being realistic I didn't see us getting past the 2nd round this season. Good luck to everyone see you all next season :thumbsup:

joanna71985
04-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Woohoo!! Congrats Rangers!!:number1:

Ian
04-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Can't resist it ... one last dig .... :thedolls:

Brodeur Won't Shake Avery's Hand (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/47372)

Apparently having seen enough of Sean Avery (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/5384)'s face during Game 3's infamous, rule-changing 5-on-3, Martin Brodeur (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/4782) turned away from the Ranger left wing in the handshake line following New Jersey's 5-3 Game 5 elimination last night. Everybody talks about how much class I don't have," said Avery. "It's the end of a series and men go to war against each other, and I guess he forgot to shake my hand." Asked if he was going to shake Brodeur's, Avery said: "Of course I was."Yep ... class guy all the way. ;)

Ian
04-19-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't want to complain or anything, but the refs sure are working hard to make sure there's a game 6 in this series.

Those were three of the WORST penalty calls, all in a row, that I've ever seen. The goalie interference was ridiculous, because Upshall was shoved into the Huet. The interference was bogus, because Umberger was shoved to the ice by a Capital and then the guy tripped over him. The last hook was just a phantom call entirely. It was only a matter of time before the Caps scored with so many free chances.

I love the fact that the Flyers went right back up the ice and scored, though.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-19-2008, 07:51 PM
I need to go and find that video online. I still haven't seen it. I've heard all about it though. Lots of 3-2 games....interested to see how many of those are determined tomorrow night.

Ian
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Gee, were the refs biased against the Flyers in this game??

Only 4 penalties called on the Caps the entire game, NONE in the 3rd period (in fact, the last Caps penalty was at 12:16 in the 2nd) and the Flyers had 7 against them, with 3 called within than 7 minutes in the 3rd period.

The Caps were boarding guys, interfering, tripping, roughing ... nothing called. It was so painfully obvious that they wanted the Caps to win this one ... very frustrating ...

Ian
04-20-2008, 07:59 AM
Actually, those numbers I gave above don't even tell the full story. After a closer look, because of the way the penalties were called, the final score was Flyers 2 power plays, Caps 6.

So the Caps had THREE TIMES as many power plays as the Flyers did.

And oh yeah, Bruce Boudreu might or might not have spent a lot of time whining about the officating after Game 4 ... think that had anything to do with it???

PirateLover
04-20-2008, 12:12 PM
I am always suspicious of the refs, I think it's ingrained in the blood of Flyers fans. 4 out of 5 games this series I do think we've gotten the shaft. Game 4 I think we got the benefit of the calls but that's not enough. And whining's got nothing to do with it, it's all about Ovechkin being on the team. How many years did Ed Snider whine about officiating and all it seemed to do was get him fined and make it worse. But maybe that's just because he always did it in a public forum... If we go out and play hard and smart, we should win this next game, bad officiating or not.

MMouse6937
04-20-2008, 07:24 PM
HA BYE BYE, Nashville....go home 22, try again next year!!

That was an amazing game. Game 5 was even better. The only reason the preds were even in the game was because of Ellis, without him it would have been 50-0.

Moving on to round two...one step closer to Lord Stanley!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!! :D

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-20-2008, 10:44 PM
HA BYE BYE, Nashville....go home 22, try again next year!!

That was an amazing game. Game 5 was even better. The only reason the preds were even in the game was because of Ellis, without him it would have been 50-0.

Moving on to round two...one step closer to Lord Stanley!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!! :D

Ya, Ya. It really doesn't say much about the Red Wings winning this series though. I mean really look at it.

The team was for sale and went through a very difficult summer and start to the season. Vokoun (who is the most awesome goalie) was traded (Leipold blows!), Timonen (the C) was traded, Hartnell traded, Kariya left because of the uncertaintly of the team and Sullivan was injuried.....just to start the season.

Going into the playoffs Gelinas, Ortmeyer, Nichol and Legwand were injuried....then Arnott get injured. We have to pull up a few guess from Milwaukee. WOW!

You are right about Ellis. He is amazing...oh ya and he only played one NHL game before playing with the Preds.

What's that really say about the Red Wings?

Say you lost Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holstrom, Lidstrom and Hasek....how well do you think you would do? Well....that's what happened to us.

They might have lost but they'll be back next year and I'll be at every game again. I'm still proud of my team. They are champs!

GO CALGARY OR AVALANCHE!

Ian
04-21-2008, 07:34 AM
... Timonen (the C) was traded, Hartnell traded ... Yeah, thanks for that, by the way. ;)

MMouse6937
04-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Ya, Ya. It really doesn't say much about the Red Wings winning this series though. I mean really look at it.

The team was for sale and went through a very difficult summer and start to the season. Vokoun (who is the most awesome goalie) was traded (Leipold blows!), Timonen (the C) was traded, Hartnell traded, Kariya left because of the uncertaintly of the team and Sullivan was injuried.....just to start the season.

Going into the playoffs Gelinas, Ortmeyer, Nichol and Legwand were injuried....then Arnott get injured. We have to pull up a few guess from Milwaukee. WOW!

You are right about Ellis. He is amazing...oh ya and he only played one NHL game before playing with the Preds.

What's that really say about the Red Wings?

Say you lost Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holstrom, Lidstrom and Hasek....how well do you think you would do? Well....that's what happened to us.

They might have lost but they'll be back next year and I'll be at every game again. I'm still proud of my team. They are champs!

GO CALGARY OR AVALANCHE!

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with who won the series. All teams have their issues. If you notice, Hasek didn't play I think but game 1 in this series. None of our "star" players: Datsyk, Lidstrom, Draper did much of anything. Holmstrom and Franzen were some of the biggest stars, plus Osgood let that really bad goal in right at the END of game 5.

I think what it says is the Red Wings are the grittier team, you had advantages with 22 and Ellis, didn't come through. The better team won, that's all it says. Some years it works, some years it doesn't. To say that the Red Wings won because Nashville was injured and their goalie was inexperienced is really not fair. The Red Wings have been in the same position and lost to the "better" team, doesn't matter why.

That's Hockey!

PirateLover
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah, thanks for that, by the way. ;)

HAH I was totally gonna post the same exact line but I didn't wanna rub salt in the wound... but yea we are loving those guys right now. ;)

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, thanks for that, by the way. ;)

I have to say I miss them here. Hartnell was only 17 when he started with the Preds and has come a long way. Considering 3 of the guys for the Flyer are ex-Preds I'd like to see them do well. Good luck tonight!

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with who won the series. All teams have their issues. If you notice, Hasek didn't play I think but game 1 in this series. None of our "star" players: Datsyk, Lidstrom, Draper did much of anything. Holmstrom and Franzen were some of the biggest stars, plus Osgood let that really bad goal in right at the END of game 5.

I think what it says is the Red Wings are the grittier team, you had advantages with 22 and Ellis, didn't come through. The better team won, that's all it says. Some years it works, some years it doesn't. To say that the Red Wings won because Nashville was injured and their goalie was inexperienced is really not fair. The Red Wings have been in the same position and lost to the "better" team, doesn't matter why.

That's Hockey!

I think it says that the Preds did a great job considering the situation.

As far Datysuk not doing anything....he has the most points for Det. and Hasek played 4 games. I noticed because I watched all the Det. games on TV and saw all the Nash. games live.

Ian
04-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Well I wouldn't think it possible, but the refs have actually been worse thus far in this game than they were in game 5!!!

Within the span of like five minutes one of the Caps cross checks a Flyer in the face and no penalty is called. About 10 seconds later the Caps score the game-tying goal.

A few minutes after that, Hartnell gets checked from behind, up high, face first into the boards and gets cut. No penalty.

And then ... in the ultimate insult ... one of the Caps punches Upshall in the head and knocks him down and the ref calls Upshall for diving!!! Now Ovechkin can leap in the air and twist all over and that's not a dive, but Upshall gets punched in the head and knocked down and that is???

Now I'm not excusing the Flyers for giving up the 2 goal lead ... they definitely slacked off and didn't match the Caps intensity for most of the 2nd period ... but still, there's no excuse for having to battle the Caps and the refs.

Seriously, if the Flyers win this series it will be an absolute miracle. The bias of the NHL towards the Caps has been absolutely disgraceful.

And I'm not a guy who normally cries about the refs!!!!

PirateLover
04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
How about Huet throwing his stick towards the end of the game? That should've been a penalty shot. The Flyers gave this game away but the refereeing was an absolute disgrace. Calling Upshall for a dive was probably the worst.

MMouse6937
04-22-2008, 12:40 AM
I think it says that the Preds did a great job considering the situation.

As far Datysuk not doing anything....he has the most points for Det. and Hasek played 4 games. I noticed because I watched all the Det. games on TV and saw all the Nash. games live.

Actually Dom played around 3 1/2. He was pulled from game 4 and as you can see he didn't play the rest of the series. Not a real great star player. Datsyuk may have the most points, but he only scored once in game 3 and exclusivey in game 4, which we lost.

I found it interesting that they said Legwand "took ill" before the game and was unable to play. I think I would have to be missing my lung not to play in the playoffs, but who knows what really was going on. Most of the time they say an injury is an injury, not that they "took ill".

I think the Wings have a great, well rounded team this year. Unfortunately we're in the same position we always are with goalies, one old and one too scattered to be there when it matters. We'll have to see. I sure hope we get CO, it'll be great to see McCarty in the rivalry again, I like watching the Avs squirm, especially now that they got half the team back, too bad the couldn't convince old Pat Roy to come out of retirement, oh, wait, he's too busy teaching his son how to be a jerk like him.

Should be a good second round, looking forward to it! :hockey:

Ian
04-22-2008, 06:06 AM
How about Huet throwing his stick towards the end of the game? That should've been a penalty shot. The Flyers gave this game away but the refereeing was an absolute disgrace. Calling Upshall for a dive was probably the worst.Sigh .... yeah, that was really bad, too, the stick throwing.

But the truth is only the Flyers are to blame for this loss. They had this team exactly where they wanted them ... on their heels and down 2 goals in the 2nd ... and they did exactly what they did in game 1 (see my post immediately following game 1). They got lazy and sloppy and gave the game away.

That is a bad, bad tendancy of this team ... to get overconfident and feel like the game is won when it's not even 1/2 over. We've seen what they can do when they give a full 60 minutes of hockey, but man ... two games in a row now they had a chance to ice the series and two games in a row they couldn't do it.

I still think Stevens is not the right guy to coach this team. And sadly, I can't see any way the Flyers go down to Washington tonight and beat the Caps. I think we just saw another Flyers team blow a 3-1 series lead. :(

PirateLover
04-22-2008, 10:38 AM
The Flyers have definitely playing a lot sloppier these past few games. And by the 3rd period, they seemed like they had cement in their skates. My confidence level is about 50%. I think they CAN beat the Caps, but they are no longer the team with the upper hand and they have a lot going against them, so I'm not sure they will. I also don't think Stevens is right for this team. He was a great minor league coach and player but he just can't seem to get them to play consistently, and their formations are often really sloppy. I also think they are still doing a bit too much dumping and chasing.

Ian
04-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I totally agree re: the dumping and chasing. That works well for big, physical teams who can follow the puck in and go immediately on the forecheck to start cycling, but the Flyers aren't really like that anymore. They have a lot of smaller, quicker guys that would do better carrying the puck in over the line.

I also think Stevens is too low-key ... with all of these rotten calls/non-calls going against him he hasn't once blown his top. He needs to freak out ... let his players know he's standing up for them and he sees the challenges they're facing. Instead he just stands there behind the bench and drools on himself. I loved him as a Phantom, but he's not NHL head coach material.

He's going to have to make some line adjustments tonight if he wants to win, so I'll have a good feeling right away that if he's not making any changes we're goin' down. :secret:

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I found it interesting that they said Legwand "took ill" before the game and was unable to play. I think I would have to be missing my lung not to play in the playoffs, but who knows what really was going on. Most of the time they say an injury is an injury, not that they "took ill".

Actually it wasn't Legwand it was Arnott. And he was violently ill after being hit in the head the night before by a puck. He was suffering from a concussion that was causing him to be ill so I'd say that's pretty serious. And a good reason not to play.

Legwand was out from an injury but came back for the 6th game even though he shouldn't have been playing. Same with Nichol....he came back for that game even though he had just had surgery the week prior. I'd say they were troupers!

Ian
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
WHOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!

BRING ON THOSE HABS!!!

LET'S GO FLYERS!!

:marg::beer::marg::beer::marg:

PirateLover
04-22-2008, 10:15 PM
YEA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell ya what... they outplayed us most of the game but all it takes is one goal to win. And it doesn't get any better than GAME 7 OVERTIME HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!

GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-23-2008, 01:35 AM
GO AVALANCHE!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE FLYERS! GOOD LUCK!

Ian
04-23-2008, 06:56 AM
YEA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll tell ya what... they outplayed us most of the game but all it takes is one goal to win.Very true, but for one game (the important one, too) the Flyers finally got some good breaks from the officials. They were really letting them play out there, on both sides, but the Flyers did get the first call in overtime. I said to DW, "If they dont' score on this PP they're done, because the Caps are going to get an even up one very soon ... "

About 10 seconds later they scored. :D

PirateLover
04-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes, for once we got some fair, even officiating. Thank god for veteran refs who don't call every ticky tack play. One of my friends is a caps fan who lives in DC and she says all they are talking about there are the "non-call" with the Flyers second goal, and the penalty in OT. But honestly, taking off my orange and black colored glasses, I think they were both the right call.

Ian
04-23-2008, 01:12 PM
The non-call on the goalie interference was inarguably the right call.

In 99% of the cases, the refs are not going to call a penalty when you run into your own goalie, even if you're pushed into him by an opposing player.

If you put yourself in between the oncoming player and your goalie, you run the risk of that happening and you're just not going to get that call.

And as far as the OT penalty goes, the truth is the Caps were lucky not to have been shorthanded after that other takedown that negated a potential Flyers 2 on 1. I think on the second one the refs were like, "Okay, we let you get away with that the first time but you weren't smart enough to not do it again so we're calling it."

I'm not going to feel bad about it, since the truth is there's no way the Caps would have forced a game 7 anyway without the refs help in game 5. They should just feel fortunate they got 2 extra games they didn't deserve.

PirateLover
04-23-2008, 01:34 PM
I 100% agree. BTW are you getting the Comcast feed or do you have to watch the VS broadcast? (I think you made the switch to FIOS). I'm enjoying Bill Clement as the color analyst. I can't stand VS.

Ian
04-23-2008, 01:52 PM
I do have FIOS, but we get Comcast Sports Net so I'm getting the Comcast coverage.

I don't like the VS guys either.

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Good Luck to the Flyers tonight!

GO AVALANCHE!

Ian
04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Good Luck to the Flyers tonight!Sheesh, man ... the refs just totally have it in for this team, I swear.

How in the WORLD they could make that bogus call with that little time left in the 3rd period, I have NO CLUE. Awful ... just awful ... Richards hits the guy with a clean shoulder check and gets called for kneeing. His knee didn't even touch the guy!!

Not to mention that horrific non-goal on the non-goal. This game should be over already ... if the Flyers lose they really got robbed. :mad:

PirateLover
04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Not to mention that horrific non-goal on the non-goal. This game should be over already ... if the Flyers lose they really got robbed. :mad:
This was a tough one to swallow. We played a darned near perfect game and deserved that win. The Habs 2nd goal should not have counted. It certainly wasn't conclusive that his stick was low as the NHL claims. And yea, calling a sketchy penalty that late in the game when they swallowed the whistle for almost the entire duration of the game was pretty questionable.

Ian
04-25-2008, 07:41 AM
That goal that was allowed was just ridiculous. Can someone explain to me how you can knock a puck in the net using an up-to-down motion with your stick, have your stick land on top of the net at the end of the stroke, and yet the goal counts?? If, at the bottom of the stroke, the stick is above the net, how could it possibly have not been above the net when you hit the puck in??? It defies the laws of nature!!

But what do you expect when you're playing a Canadian team and they go to Toronto for the ruling??

And you're being generous when you say that call at the end was "sketchy." I'd say "bogus" is more like it. It was a clean, open ice check ... no knee involved whatsoever.

I HATE games like this. We should be starting this series up 1-0, having stolen home ice advantage from the Habs. Now we're in a hole 0-1 and deflated because we know we outplayed them and got jobbed by the refs.

Seriously ... the NHL has to do something about these refs. It's absolutely disgraceful.

PirateLover
04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Clearly on the replays you can see it is a good clean hit. Things happen so fast in real time that I'll grant it was hard for the ref to tell... but the bottom line is that when you've been letting them play for almost an entire game, how do you justify calling that penalty anyway? And of all things, KNEEING? What is really bogus, that Therien brought up on the post game show is that the play right before the hit should've been offsides. This team really needs to start complaining. Stevens and the players are being too "Well, I didn't think it was the right call but what can you do?" They need to get some fire under their butts and call it like it is. Where's Ed Snider when you need him?

MMouse6937
04-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I thought this was an NHL thread not a Flyers thread :D

Ian, maybe you should start a new topic "Let's talk about the Flyers" ;)

Oh and btw, LETS GO RED WINGS!!

PirateLover
04-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Ian, maybe you should start a new topic "Let's talk about the Flyers" ;)

Oh and btw, LETS GO RED WINGS!!

Haha... sorry about all the Flyers talk but there aren't many people left in this thread with teams still in it, and those that are, aren't posting very much!!! I refuse to join most of the online hockey communities because there is just too much foul language, idiotic behavior etc, so this is one of my few outlets. ;)

Ian
04-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey, I can't help it that the Flyers are one of only 8 teams left in the playoffs and no one else wants to come out to support their team!

MMouse6937
04-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey, I can't help it that the Flyers are one of only 8 teams left in the playoffs and no one else wants to come out to support their team!

Um, have you read all my posts about the Wings???? :D I'm all about my team but I can't get a word in edgewise with all this Flyer talk ;)

Ian
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Um, have you read all my posts about the Wings???? :D I'm all about my team but I can't get a word in edgewise with all this Flyer talk ;)Who the heck wants to talk about the creaky old Dead Wings anyway?? Do you have a player on that team under the age of 102?? :razz:

joanna71985
04-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Let's go Rangers!! Big game tonight.

MMouse6937
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Who the heck wants to talk about the creaky old Dead Wings anyway?? Do you have a player on that team under the age of 102?? :razz:

Apparently it's working for them, best regular seaon record!! :D Nah, I know, the Wings always seem to fall apart in the playoffs actually. If we could get a goalie worth a darn. :confused:

Oh well, bring on the Avs, I hope we squash um. :number1:

DisneyCrazyET
04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Sorry to the previous poster but...
It's a hockey night in Pittsburgh :puck:
:magic: Go Pens!

JPL
04-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Apparently it's working for them, best regular seaon record!!

That will change with the new balanced schedule :razz:

Ian
04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
That will change with the new balanced schedule :razz:Look everyone, a Devils fan!

Let's give him a well-deserved pity party, k? Everyone together ...

AAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

:nopity:

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-26-2008, 11:39 AM

You and I are the only ones that make any posts about the Western Conf. Everyone hear is for a team in the east.

Who the heck wants to talk about the creaky old Dead Wings anyway?? Do you have a player on that team under the age of 102?? :razz:

:laughing: Nice Ian!

Honestly there is no one in the west that I really want to win. I hate the Stars - thanks to the Modano/Tootoo exchange last year and there fans. I hate the Sharks - just a bunch of goons. Then there are the Wings.......being a Preds fan I don't need to say more. So the Avalanche get my support by default.

JPL
04-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Look everyone, a Devils fan!

Thanks for taking time away from your Whine and cheese party to notice :razz:

MMouse6937
04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Boy, the Avs are doing GREAT!! :) HA, can we say total domination!? The Avs need to quit whining and get themselves back together if they don't want to get swept. What a joke.

Let's Go Red Wings!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Boy, the Avs are doing GREAT!! :) HA, can we say total domination!? The Avs need to quit whining and get themselves back together if they don't want to get swept. What a joke.

No kidding! The way they are playing it might only be 4 games in the series. And Forsberg thought he was going to play for a that had a good chance of winning the cup. HA! Playing like that they won't.

So who would you rather see the Wings go up against....San Jose or Dallas?

MMouse6937
04-26-2008, 10:36 PM
No kidding! The way they are playing it might only be 4 games in the series. And Forsberg thought he was going to play for a that had a good chance of winning the cup. HA! Playing like that they won't.

So who would you rather see the Wings go up against....San Jose or Dallas?

I guess at this point I would say Dallas, like you, I'm not real fond of either team, but I think SJ would try a lot of cheap shots just to hurt our players for the next round. It might actually be somewhat of a contest with Dallas.

I'm not sure we'll sweep the Avs, especially with the games going to CO, that can sometimes shift momentum, but it would sure be sweet. Only time will tell! :)

kakn7294
04-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks for taking time away from your Whine and cheese party to notice :razz:Nice one Jeff! I'd much rather talk about the Pens or Red Wings than Ian's Flyers anyday! I thought this thread was going to be about the playoffs in general, not just the Flyers.

Ian
04-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Ahhh redemption is sweet ... funny how parallel this series has been to the Caps series thus far. Flyers have pretty much dominated play for both games, but still only have a tied series to show for it.

I have a good feeling about how they're going to play when they're back in front of the home crowd, too.

PirateLover
04-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Nice one Jeff! I'd much rather talk about the Pens or Red Wings than Ian's Flyers anyday! I thought this thread was going to be about the playoffs in general, not just the Flyers.

Speaking of the Pens, will Cindy be headed to the Olympics? He has a good shot at getting a gold medal for diving! ;):D

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!

Ian
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Speaking of the Pens, will Cindy be headed to the Olympics? He has a good shot at getting a gold medal for diving! ;):D

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!Pair him up with Ovechkin and the NHL could field a powerful Olympic diving duo!

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
I guess at this point I would say Dallas, like you, I'm not real fond of either team, but I think SJ would try a lot of cheap shots just to hurt our players for the next round. It might actually be somewhat of a contest with Dallas.

I'm not sure we'll sweep the Avs, especially with the games going to CO, that can sometimes shift momentum, but it would sure be sweet. Only time will tell! :)

SJ definetely takes lots of cheap shots. That's what hurts us when we play them. They are such a large team and use that to their advantage. I was so glad that we didn't play them in the playoffs again this year. I'd rather play Detroit any day over SJ. At least Detroit is skilled and it's a fun game to watch the two teams play. There is more hockey being played and less hits.

Ian
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Uh ... holy nail biters, Batman! That was close! :whew:

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Uh ... holy nail biters, Batman! That was close! :whew:

Yah... I felt like this :sick:

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 10:25 PM
By the way I would like everyone to know that yes I was upset with the officiating again, and I do think the league has it in for us since we stand for everything Bettman is trying to get rid of, but I won't complain as much since we came out of it with the win.

What I WILL complain about are the VS announcers. First, in the first period there was a penalty against the Flyers. They said "Canadiens will be on the power play when we return" without showing the penalty, which was behind the play off camera. The game comes back and there are TWO Flyers sitting in the box, and Montreal has a 5 on 3. Not only does VS not show the replay and explain what the heck happened, they don't even mention it's a 5 on 3. I still don't know what the penalties were! Then, they spend a lot of the time explaining the game to any "newbies" who may have happened upon the game... lets be honest, no casual viewers are watching. THEN after the Flyers are towards the end of killing off a 5 minute major, one of the announcers said "Does the man come out of the box after the penalty ends or does he wait for the next whistle? I can't remember." SERIOUSLY!?? You are an NHL announcer!!!!! And even if you don't remember why would you even say that. GAHH!

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Here is an interesting nugget, per ESPN.com:

In response to a Washington Post column that described Flyers fans as "women and children who could be security for Megadeth," lead singer Dave Mustaine sent a videotaped message of support. He wore Jason Smith's sweater. ...

Ian
04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Maryanne, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I totally agree.

The Vs. crew was horrible. That 5 on 3 is still a complete mystery to me and half the game they were chatting away about this and that ... not even calling the game! It reminded me of the Madden/Al Michaels MNF team. The game was secondary to whatever else they felt like yakking about. Glad the next game is back on CSN ...

And yeah, the refs were bad again. You could make the case (although I'd disagree) that the penalty on Hatcher was warranted, but to not call the retaliation when the Canadians player just came up and drilled him from behind ... that's ridiculous.

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 11:15 PM
And yeah, the refs were bad again. You could make the case (although I'd disagree) that the penalty on Hatcher was warranted, but to not call the retaliation when the Canadians player just came up and drilled him from behind ... that's ridiculous.
Was it boarding? Yes. Was there blood? Yes. Was there retaliation? Yes. It should've been a double minor and Boullion or whatever his name is should've had a penalty as well. I don't think it should've been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. That is usually given when there is intent to injure, and I don't think there was any. After the game Hatcher said the ref told him he was getting 2 minutes, then all of the sudden they saw the blood and it was a major and he was kicked out. Unbelievable.

PirateLover
04-28-2008, 11:35 PM
To contribute to some non Flyers talk...

From the category of shoe being on the other foot:

Maybe Sean Avery has rubbed off on some of his teammates.

Many thought going into the Eastern Conference semifinal series between the Penguins and Rangers that New York's super-pest would try to get under Sidney Crosby's skin, but during Sunday's game it was Jaromir Jagr, not Avery, going after No. 87.

At the 13:54 mark of the first period, Crosby and Rangers defenceman Fedor Tyutin were battling for the puck behind the Rangers net when Tyutin pushed Crosby down. Referee Dan O'Halloran called a holding penalty on Tyutin, and that set Jagr off. He skated over to Crosby and had some choice words for the Penguins captain. According to the New York Daily News, witnesses near the bench where the exchange took place say Jagr told Crosby to stop diving and stay on his feet.

Jagr continued his trash talk later in the period.

When asked about it after the game, Crosby didn't have much to say. "Just ask him. I wasn't the one talking," Crosby said.

Jagr also tried to remain tight-lipped when asked about the situation.

"Nothing. Just play hockey. That's all."

When pressed again by reporters for more details, Jagr said: "I'm not going to tell you. Besides, did it help us? Probably not."

After a March 30th Penguins-Rangers game in which Crosby drew a penalty that had some questioning the call, Jagr said he believes refs give the young phenom preferential treatment because of his stature in the league.

"I don't know if it is right or wrong, but that's the way it is and that's the way it's most of the time been," Jagr told reporters. "I remember when Mario (Lemieux) was here, we were getting some calls. I had more advantage seven years ago. They give you more respect. But maybe that's the way it should be."

Ian
04-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Well I'll give Jagr some credit for at least recognizing that he once benefitted from the exact same kind of favoritism, but even so it still sounds pretty ridiculous coming from him.

He's right, though.

MMouse6937
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Boy, that's the pot calling the kettle black. Jagr doesn't like a "phenom" getting preferential treatment? Didn't seem like he minded it much when it was him.

He's right though, he should just shut up and play hockey.

PirateLover
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Boy, that's the pot calling the kettle black. Jagr doesn't like a "phenom" getting preferential treatment? Didn't seem like he minded it much when it was him.

Haha, someone actually emailed me the article (from TSN by the way) with the headline "Pot meets kettle, pot doesn't like kettle." :D

Stickey
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
As a Flyers fan, I believe that no two goal lead is safe. However, I was certain that a three goal lead after two was safe! Let's hope that there will be fewer defensive lapses.
:shake:

Broadcaster babble is not limited to hockey, it is evident in baseball and football, even in the NFL draft. Sometimes the live action just gets in the way of a story. :mad:

Ian
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
As a Flyers fan, I believe that no two goal lead is safe. However, I was certain that a three goal lead after two was safe! Let's hope that there will be fewer defensive lapses.
:shake:Yeah, it's weird. I'm not sure if it's because they're a young team (with a young coach) or what, but they do seem to be very prone to getting lulled to sleep when play slows and they have a lead.

The truth is, if you take out the games that the Flyers themselves made "interesting", they really are having a very dominant playoff run thus far.

barnaby
04-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Flyers fan here.
I don't know how a team can play so sloppy in their own end and still be up 2-1.:confused:

PirateLover
04-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Flyers fan here.
I don't know how a team can play so sloppy in their own end and still be up 2-1.:confused:

Hmm... wiith the name "Barnaby" are you SURE you're a Flyers fan? Hahah just kidding, you're right, they really need to buckle down on defense. They can't leave it up to Marty to make spectacular plays every game.

barnaby
04-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Hmm... wiith the name "Barnaby" are you SURE you're a Flyers fan? Hahah just kidding, you're right, they really need to buckle down on defense. They can't leave it up to Marty to make spectacular plays every game.

Yeah, I am a huge Matthew Barnaby fan, which is odd for a Flyers fan. :eek: :)
I rooted for the Sabres for a few years because I hated Lindros and Clarke drove me nuts.

Marty has bailed them out for sure.
I was screaming at the TV last night at the end of the game when the Habs pulled their goalie. :bang:
The Flyers had like 4 chances to get the puck out, but failed every time. They lucked out because Montreal didn't get any good chances.

PirateLover
04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
The Flyers had like 4 chances to get the puck out, but failed every time. They lucked out because Montreal didn't get any good chances.
I think we were all there with you! One of the problems was, even though he takes stupid penalties, Hatcher has actually been pretty good (on the penalty kill in particular) throughout the playoffs thus far. I mean just looking at how they played while he was on it, and then after he got the major... there was a stark difference. Not having him at all for the last 15 mins really hurt. I do think they kind of went in a panic at the end with visions of game 1 dancing in their heads and they were playing desperate and poorly.

MMouse6937
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Ok once again, not to break up your little Flyers fan club, but....

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!

WOO HOO, that's what I'm talking about. Even with Forsberg they had nothing!! Theodore is off his game BIG time, but he was sick, whatever :rolleyes: and Forsberg has some hitch in his skate, give me a break, excuses, excuses.

Bring on the Sweep!!! :vacuum: (ok so not so much a broom, but) :D

MickeyandTink
04-30-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok once again, not to break up your little Flyers fan club, but....

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!

WOO HOO, that's what I'm talking about. Even with Forsberg they had nothing!! Theodore is off his game BIG time, but he was sick, whatever :rolleyes: and Forsberg has some hitch in his skate, give me a break, excuses, excuses.

Bring on the Sweep!!! :vacuum: (ok so not so much a broom, but) :D

All I can say is, "Red Wings, bring it on!"

GO STARS!!! :hockey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
04-30-2008, 11:50 AM
It looks like it's going to be Red Wings vs. Stars and Penguins vs.......maybe the Flyers....maybe not.

Dulcee
04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Has anyone else seen the news? NY Ranger's Sean Avery was taken to the hospital last night in cardiac arrest... :( poor kid, I hope it all works out alright.

Dulcee
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
and i'll now correct myself as more reliable sources chime in, he was admitted with a lacerated spleen...not as bad as orginally thought. Though still out for the rest of the playoffs :(

PirateLover
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
and i'll now correct myself as more reliable sources chime in, he was admitted with a lacerated spleen...not as bad as orginally thought. Though still out for the rest of the playoffs :(
That is really scary stuff. :pixie: to him.

kakn7294
04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
I hadn't seen that about Avery - poor kid! I'm glad it wasn't a cardiac arrest though. A lacerated spleen is bad enough although they said his injury was not life-threatening. It's a shame to end his season and possibly his career with the Rangers (he's a free agent next season) with an injury in the playoffs.

PirateLover
04-30-2008, 10:48 PM
LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot believe we had the worst record EVER last year, and now we are one win away from the Eastern Conference Finals!

Ian
05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I cannot believe we had the worst record EVER last year, and now we are one win away from the Eastern Conference Finals!WHOA there, Mary Ann!! What the heck are you trying to do?? Invoke the Philly Jinx?? Might as well dress Billy Penn up in a Flyers jersey, with talk like that!

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... :secret:

What's kind of amazing about this series is that the Canadians have never led throughout these four games. They scored their sole game winner in OT. The Flyers have led or the games have been tied for the balance of the play.

Also interesting to note here is that Briere leads all players in points in the playoffs thus far. Prospal is 4th. Briere is also tied for the lead in goals with 8. R.J. Umberger is 2nd with 7. Prospal is ranked 3rd in assists and Randy Jones is tied for the best plus/minus of any player in the playoffs at a + 7. Jeff Carter is 5th in plus/minus at a +5.

Perhaps most important, though, is that Biron is playing out of his mind. He's made some just insane stops in this series. You ride hot goaltending in the playoffs and the Flyers definitely have it.

The point here is that, as sloppy and nail-biting as their wins have been ... this is a team playing really well.

PirateLover
05-01-2008, 12:17 PM
WHOA there, Mary Ann!! What the heck are you trying to do?? Invoke the Philly Jinx?? Might as well dress Billy Penn up in a Flyers jersey, with talk like that!

Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... :secret:

You know what... maybe I'm crazy but I think the jinx is on the verge of being broken. Maybe not this year, but it seems like little by little certain things are starting to go our way. Even if we (God forbid) collapse and lose this series, I'll be heartbroken but not as much as previous years. You know why, because I didn't even think this team was going to MAKE the playoffs with a month left to go in the regular season, let alone go up 3-1 on the Canadiens in the Conference semis. And how about the 76ers stealing two games from the Pistons? And the Phillies coming out of April above .500 without Jimmy Rollins and with a slumping Ryan Howard? Somethings in the air in this city that hasn't been felt in a while-hope and optimism.

Biron has definitely be the key to our winning. I mean when have we last seen one of our goaltenders play this well in the playoffs? Boucher had a nice run in 2000 but you really have to go back to Hexy in '87, however I was only 2 years old so I didn't even get to see that. The entire time I've been a Flyers fan, there's always been a goalie controversy, netminders letting in soft goals, getting the formerly good goalie when he's no longer good etc etc... One can only hope that Biron is the real deal, and I think that he is now. It's not just a matter of flipping the switch-the defense is playing better in front of him, he's getting good reads on the puck, and his glove hand is just a beauty to watch. For once, WE have the goalie that is frustrating the other team! And to be honest, the Flyers haven't even played their best game yet. In fact the only game in which they played close to their potential in this series was the one that they lost. This has just been a fun ride so far and I'm hanging on for dear life... one of the WIP guys was calling them "The Cardiac Kids" last night and that's so true. ;)

Ian
05-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Another interesting tidbit to file away on this series ... the Flyers have had over 10 minutes less power play time than Montreal has ...

Flyers have had about 19:37 of power play time as opposed to 30:37 seconds of power play time for Montreal.

Oddly enough, Guy Carbonneau was whining last night about the refs. Despite the fact that his team had a full 3 minutes more power play time than the Flyers did. Of course, that's because they can't score on Biron. ;)

But seriously ... Carbonneau was a tough player ... I'm sort of surprised at all the complaining he's been doing this series. He ought to be complaining about his players instead. But I guess when you constantly get favorable treatment from the refs you get spoiled and start to expect it.

Honestly, it makes the Flyers success in this series even sweeter, just like it did against Montreal.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
It's the end of the 1st period in the Detroit/Colorado game and it looks like this might be the last game. So much for Forsberg thinking he's gonna get another Stanley Cup.

PirateLover
05-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Wow. 7 mins left in the 3rd and Wings are up 8-2!!!!!!That's just ridiculous. Those Avs players must be dying having to stay out there like that when they know they are on the verge of being swept in embarrassing fashion.

I watched parts of both games tonight. Rangers pulled one out... I actually hate sweeps, unless my team is the one doing the sweeping ;)

MMouse6937
05-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Boy, the Avs just made that look easy!! They sucked wind. I'm sure they will whine about all their :ill: players. Franzen is absolutely on fire. Passed Gordie Howe's record from the
50's. Amazing!! SWEEP

So Ian, if it turns out to be Flyers/RedWings might you want to talk hockey with me then? ;)

Bring on the Stars!

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!

kakn7294
05-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Wow, what an interesting game between Detroit and Colorado - certainly not what I expected to see. I'm glad the Wings won! My Pens just couldn't seem to get the offense going tonight. It just means we'll have to get them at home in game 5.

Ian
05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
I need the Rangers to pull another one out and lengthen that series.

If (and I stress if) the Flyers make it past this round, I don't want to play a team that's coming in on 3 or 4 days of rest.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Forsberg said he didn't want to come to Nashville because he wanted to win the Stanley Cup this year......maybe he should have gone to Detroit.

Great series for Detroit. Looking forward to seeing them play the Stars. Looks like that series will be ending tonight.

I saw the highlights from the NY/Pittsburgh game. WOW! Shame that Pittsburgh didn't win. I don't like Avery or Jagr. Looks like the Pens will be winning this one at home.

PirateLover
05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I need the Rangers to pull another one out and lengthen that series.

If (and I stress if) the Flyers make it past this round, I don't want to play a team that's coming in on 3 or 4 days of rest.

Hopefully the Flyers just end this thing tomorrow and they get some rest. I think the Eastern Conference Finals are set to start Thurs? That is why our series has to play back to back if we need a game 6 (they had to have Hockey Night in Canada of course).

Ian
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Eh, I dunno ... I can't see Montreal fading out that easily, Mary Ann. I hate to say it, but I feel another 7 game series coming on.

PirateLover
05-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Eh, I dunno ... I can't see Montreal fading out that easily, Mary Ann. I hate to say it, but I feel another 7 game series coming on.
I really think they have a chance tonight, but I think it goes 6 at the most. At least I hope so. I start training for a new part time job this week and I really don't want to have to miss a game 7 ;)

Ian
05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Well ... I believe I once again shall have to say .....

WHOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!

BRING ON THOSE <fill in the blanks>!!!

LET'S GO FLYERS!!

:marg::beer::marg::beer::marg:EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS, BABY!!

Man, I just don't know who to wish for in this next round. On one hand, it's always great to beat a New York team in the playoffs and send them packing. On the other hand, what would it say about this Flyers team when we knocked off the 1, 2, and 3 seeds heading into the Stanley Cup Finals?? I wonder if that's ever been done before??

Ian
05-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I really think they have a chance tonight, but I think it goes 6 at the most. At least I hope so. I start training for a new part time job this week and I really don't want to have to miss a game 7 ;)btw ... kudos to you, Mary Ann! You kept the faith!

One thing I should mention since I ripped the Habs fans earlier ... they were classy tonight. Very classy. They cheered their team mightily at the end of the game and it was real nice to see them support them that way.

I can tell you for certain that if the roles were reversed and the Flyers were the 1 seed getting knocked off in their home building in 5 games, our fans would not have been so sweet about it!

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 02:00 AM
It's great to know that we've already made history, being the worst team in the league last season and then going to the conference finals....
Like you said I never lost faith. We were at a surprise party tonight and they had no cable TV. We were huddled around the radio tonight listening to Tim Saunders and Brian Propp. Despite the fact that our Flyguys were down 3-1 at one point, I never gave up. I really had a feeling they'd win this game.
Ian, I've got to say right now that if someway, somehow, these guys win it all, we have to meet up on Broad St. on parade day ;)

Ian
05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Ian, I've got to say right now that if someway, somehow, these guys win it all, we have to meet up on Broad St. on parade day ;)No doubt! Whiskey's on me! :D

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 08:29 AM
No doubt! Whiskey's on me! :D

LOL! I'm surprised anything I wrote last night was legible...:cool:

Donald A
05-04-2008, 09:48 AM
I am being a wonderful husband as I am sitting in Pittsburgh right now in a hotel across from Mellon Arena. After the Pens lost Thursday night in NY, something possessed me to ask my wife if she wanted to go to Game 5 in Pittsburgh. Needless to say, we decided to make the trip from Indy and spend our tax rebate on playoff hockey.

My wife has been living and breathing hockey this year and I think she is going to enjoy this. So here I sit, slightly worried about my animals back home since I found out that our last minute pet-sitter is a huge Flyers fan. Not to speak pre-maturely, but I am sure glad we decided to act impulsively this series instead of the next :thumbsup:

barnaby
05-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Gotta love this Flyers team. They are scrappy and nver give up. I am enjoying the ride.

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 12:02 PM
My wife has been living and breathing hockey this year and I think she is going to enjoy this. So here I sit, slightly worried about my animals back home since I found out that our last minute pet-sitter is a huge Flyers fan. Not to speak pre-maturely, but I am sure glad we decided to act impulsively this series instead of the next :thumbsup:
Nothing beats live playoff hockey, and I'm glad you are going to get the chance to experience it. :thumbsup:
That's too funny about your pet-sitter though. Maybe you'll come back and your pets will have the Flyers logo shaved onto them;)

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Just read that Avery has been moved out of intensive care because his internal bleeding finally stopped, but he remains in the hospital. More :pixie: to him.

DisneyCrazyET
05-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Way to go Pens!!! :penguin:

Next

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Bring it on Pens!

By the way, Avery is now out of the hospital.:thumbsup:

LET'S GO FLYERS!!!!!!!!

kakn7294
05-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I am being a wonderful husband as I am sitting in Pittsburgh right now in a hotel across from Mellon Arena. After the Pens lost Thursday night in NY, something possessed me to ask my wife if she wanted to go to Game 5 in Pittsburgh. Needless to say, we decided to make the trip from Indy and spend our tax rebate on playoff hockey.

My wife has been living and breathing hockey this year and I think she is going to enjoy this. So here I sit, slightly worried about my animals back home since I found out that our last minute pet-sitter is a huge Flyers fan. Not to speak pre-maturely, but I am sure glad we decided to act impulsively this series instead of the next :thumbsup:I hope you had a great time Donald! I had to watch from FIL's couch and the power went out twice! We had to leave as regulation ended because I have to be at work at 7p. We heard the game-winner on the way home. LET'S GO PENS!!!

joanna71985
05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I am really annoyed with the refs in Game 5. I feel that they blew the game.

Ian
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Not surprising about the refs ... that's my biggest fear in this next series. I'm certain the NHL really wants Crosby and Malkin in the Finals. I can't imagine we're (once again) going to get a fair shake from the zebras.

Anyway, this is the matchup I really wanted. It kinda woulda been fun booting a N.Y. team from the playoffs, but the Pens (and especially Crosby) are such an arrogant, self-entitled bunch.

The Flyers sticking a pin in their balloon is going to be a whole lotta fun to watch!

PirateLover
05-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Fun Fact #1:Keith Primeau scored the goal in the 5th overtime vs the Pens 8 years ago to the day!
Fun Fact #2: Last time the Flyers went to the Stanley Cup Finals (97), they beat the Pens in the Eastern Conference Quarter Finals to get there. (Would've beaten them in that round this year had they not tanked the last game to make sure they didn't have to face us).
Fun Fact #3: Flyers are undefeated in playoff series vs. the Pens.
Pens don't even need to show up, it's written in the stars! The series is ours! Sweep sweep sweep! Umberger in 4!!!! :D;) (in case you can't tell this is a bit tongue in cheek. My real pick is Flyers in 6 with the Refs winning 2 games :cool:)

joanna71985
05-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I can not believe I am going to say this.:(

But let's go Flyers!

Ian
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
My real pick is Flyers in 6 with the Refs winning 2 games :cool:)Unfortunately, that's a real risk. I even heard Mike & Mike this morning on ESPN talking about just how much the NHL wants a Pittsburgh/Detroit final. They want so badly for Crosby and Malkin to play that Detroit team on a national stage, that I really am worried about what kind of shakes we're going to get from the refs.

I mean let's face it, but they haven't exactly been fair to us thus far. I can't really see it getting any better ....

PirateLover
05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm trying not to concern myself with the refs anymore. We've clearly had to battle against them in both rounds and overcame it. Pittsburgh's power play is hot so far but with all of this time off you can bet that the Flyers will have analyzed them to death and will have a solid penalty kill plan coming in.

Actually this is how I would love for the series to start: Hatcher will probably get a penalty just for breathing on Crosby, so I'd love for him to give a nice hard check and get called for "kneeing" or something, and Crosby gets to be the drama queen over it. Hatcher gets sent to the box, Flyers kill off the power play and get a short handed goal in the process. I love the message that would send-that they aren't afraid to play hard.

PirateLover
05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Schedules for conference finals (no times yet):
Series schedules
Eastern Conference
Game 1: Friday: Flyers at Penguins
Game 2: Sunday: Flyers at Penguins
Game 3: Tuesday, May 13: Penguins at Flyers
Game 4: Thursday, May 15: Penguins at Flyers
*Game 5: Sunday, May 18: Flyers at Penguins
*Game 6: Tuesday, May 20: Penguins at Flyers
*Game 7: Thursday, May 22: Flyers at Penguins
* if necessary

Western Conference
Game 1: Thursday: Stars at Red Wings
Game 2: Saturday: Stars at Red Wings
Game 3: Monday: Red Wings at Stars
Game 4: Wednesday, May 14: Red Wings at Stars
*Game 5: Saturday, May 17: Stars at Red Wings
*Game 6: Monday, May 19: Red Wings at Stars
*Game 7: Wednesday, May 21: Stars at Red Wings
* if necessary

Ian
05-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Figures it starts Friday ... I was really hoping for Thursday so I'd be home for Game 1 at least.

We leave for Disney on Friday morning. :shake:

PirateLover
05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Figures it starts Friday ... I was really hoping for Thursday so I'd be home for Game 1 at least.

We leave for Disney on Friday morning. :shake:

Sport your gear! I met so many Flyers fans in Disney during the 2004 one because I had a hat or shirt on all the time.

Yea I'm kind of annoyed about the schedule too. I'll be camping friday-sunday although there is a cable hook up so we're bringing a tv, but it's like a 12 inch screen and hockey is one sport that really suffers after you've been watching it in HD. Then, I start my part time job next week and guess what my typical schedule is supposed to be? Tuesday and Thursday nights and a few hours on Saturdays + Sundays!!!! Although I'll have off next tues because I had phils tix (I think I'm going to sell my ticket to someone else and try for last minute Flyers tix with my bro), I'm probably going to end up missing half of this series. I've never been through this before (not being able to watch really important games), I don't know how I'm not going to go nuts.

Ian
05-06-2008, 07:15 AM
That's the one major benefit of the Slingbox. I'll be able to watch the games from my phone while I'm in the parks.

PirateLover
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
One day I'll be able to afford cool things like a slingbox and a phone that supports it... one day.:)

Is this layover killing everyone else? I don't get why they waited until thursday and friday to start these series. Well, wait I guess I do, it was so that they could have more weekend games. Blah.

Ian
05-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I worry a little bit about what this layoff is going to do to the Flyers' momentum. I know the rest is beneficial, but I just hope some of our hottest players (like Umberger and Biron) haven't cooled down. We're going to need them to be at their best for this series.

MickeyandTink
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Is this layover killing everyone else? I don't get why they waited until thursday and friday to start these series. Well, wait I guess I do, it was so that they could have more weekend games. Blah.

Speaking as a Stars fan, since there was a possibility the Stars / Sharks series wouldn't be over until Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning if they went into another four overtime game), I'm kind of surprised that they are starting on Thursday instead of the Flyers and the Pens.

Anyway, here's to another stand on his head performance from Turco tomorrow night.

GO STARS!!!

PirateLover
05-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Speaking as a Stars fan, since there was a possibility the Stars / Sharks series wouldn't be over until Tuesday night (or Wednesday morning if they went into another four overtime game), I'm kind of surprised that they are starting on Thursday instead of the Flyers and the Pens.

Yea, that would make sense don't ya think? I think the schedule was completely planned around Pens being shown on 2 sundays if it goes 7 games.
Here's to a good game tonight!

PirateLover
05-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Congrats to the Pens fans. Our best d-man (Timonen) has a blood clot in his ankle that resulted from a blocked shot in game 4 that will keep him out of this series and possibly the rest of the season should we somehow advance. This was the guy that pretty much single handedly took care of Ovechkin, Kovalev, and Koivu. Princesses Cindy and Evgeline's road to the cup just got a heckuva lot easier. :(

MMouse6937
05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
OK, that's what I'm talking about. Once again total domination! LOVE IT

One down, three more to go!

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

kakn7294
05-09-2008, 04:29 PM

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!You said it! I think that's what the Wings needed to do - come out and set the tone for the series in game 1. I'm hoping my Pens will do the same tonight.

Donald A
05-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm hoping my Pens will do the same tonight.

Well, Kathy, they sure did play well tonight. Even with missed calls by the officials for high sticking, especially the one on Hossa behind the goal. Malkin's short-handed goal was awesome. I really think Crosby is sore still from the ankle sprain. He looked OK tonight and even got a goal, but last Sunday when I was at the game he looked a little off. I enjoyed the show on him before the game tonight on Versus. Other players seem to really respect him and even awarded him the Pearson award last year. Lindstrom was on the show and called Crosby one of the best players in the league.

kakn7294
05-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Sadly, I didn't get to actually see the game - instead, I had to watch the scoreboard feature on my cellphone. We were at a family birthday party (all expecting to watch the game) but when we arrived, we were told that they don't have Versus. Had I known, I might have made an excuse to not go. :blush: We only saw the last 3 min when we got home but they looked great on the KDKA highlights! Here's hoping they can keep it up for 3 more! LET'S GO PENS!!!

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-10-2008, 01:43 PM

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

I hate to say it (being a Preds fan and all) but I have to cheer for the Red WIngs. The first round games were close but the games against the Wings haven't been since. If Dallas continues to play the way they did the other night - Detroit clearly deserves to win.

MMouse6937
05-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Another excellent game, not that anyone is the "let's talk about the Flyers (even though the LOST last night) thread" cares! ;)

Regardless, Detroit played a good game. Turko was just gunning for Holmstrom all game, glad Osgood took a poke at Ribeiro. He probably won't get suspension for his slash, but that's ok...worth it anyways. Osgood's playing very well right now. Have to change my nickname from OsBad to something else, unless he chokes. Right now they look pretty unstopable.

Chelios' "penalty" was bogus, he wasn't even looking in that direction. Hand came up with the stick and sorry it hit you in the face. Oh well it didn't cost us anything.

Bring on Game 3

LET'S GO REDWINGS!!

PirateLover
05-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Another excellent game, not that anyone is the "let's talk about the Flyers (even though the LOST last night) thread" cares! ;)
:confused: OK, I don't get it anymore. Anyone can come into this thread and talk about any team they want. There hasn't been a Flyers comment since Thursday. I have been camping and Ian is in WDW.
I have commented on other games and players in this thread when I get a chance to catch the games, and I will gladly engage Pens fans in conversation after tonight's game. I was not able to watch Friday's game, I had to listen to it on the radio, so I can't really comment.

MMouse6937
05-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm just needling, don't mean it seriously really. There just haven't been a lot of comments about the Western Conf. It's like I'm out here going Hello Hello Hello!!
:D

Looking foward to seeing what the Flyers do tonight. I actually like a lot of the team. I love Marty Biron, think he's a very cool guy, hope he does well.

Sorry if I offended, I was just :nudge: Ian. :)

PirateLover
05-11-2008, 12:52 PM
I
Sorry if I offended, I was just :nudge: Ian. :)

Not offended. I know it's a favorite past time on these boards to poke at Ian but there are a few Flyers fans in this thread and sometimes people like to pile it on Philly fans so it can be hard to tell if a comment is directed at everyone or not. Also I probably got a total of 6 hrs sleep this weekend so it could be that I'm a bit cranky as well. I need a nap before the game. :cool:

PirateLover
05-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Ugh. This is such a bummer. We now have lost our TWO best d-men. With one of those guys I think we at least make it to OT... our own turnovers have really done us in, and the fatigue was especially evident on the 3rd Penguins goal when Hatcher couldn't clear after Downie fanned on the puck. No way should he be playing 28 mins...he is an old guy with a bum knee. Coburn played 25 mins for us the first game.

I'll give credit to the Penguins and say that they are a very good team. They are always on top of every mistake the Flyers make. It just really stinks to be down 0-2 mainly due to injury. I still think the Flyers have a chance to win this thing. Win the next one and get on a role... however a healthy Coburn would have me a bit more confident.

Again some atrocious refereeing. There were mistakes on both sides. The penalty against Hatcher that lead to the 2-1 lead was a joke. But I will concede that the non-goal was a goal. It was waved off due to a technicality.

kakn7294
05-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, Crosby's non-goal was definately a goal but at least we didn't need it! Does it make sense to anyone that the officials responsible for overturning calls are watching on tv in Toronto? I don't get that.

Did you see the story about the boy with terminal cancer? He lives not far from me. What a great attitude and inspiration! And what a great night for him - spending time with Mario, Mr. Rooney, and Big Ben - awesome!!!

PirateLover
05-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah, Sidney's non-goal was definately a goal. It was fully across the line but I guess the officials watching it in Toronto (does that make sense to anyone else? The officials are in Toronto watching on tv?) couldn't overturn the no-goal call because of the glove obscuring the view. At least we didn't need it!

The "war room" has been around for a while. The idea is they are supposed to be an impartial group, heavily schooled on all the rules and they can analyze every angle of the play and know exactly what they are looking for. The main reason it wasn't a goal was because the call on the ice was no goal. There has to be indisputable evidence that the call on the ice was wrong to turn it over. Since Biron got the glove over the puck at just the right time, and they cannot assume that it crossed the line even though you can see the puck continue to move, they couldn't overturn it.

Donald A
05-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Did you see the story about the boy with terminal cancer? He lives not far from me. What a great attitude and inspiration! And what a great night for him - spending time with Mario, Mr. Rooney, and Big Ben - awesome!!!

That is quite a story about the young man with cancer. I am glad they showed it. I like the Pens a lot, but am not a Steelers fan being raised in NE Ohio. My wife got me into the Pens and, quite frankly, it is nice to agree on something and have a mutual interest.

However, I think Ben seems like a good guy. I also think that Big Ben really likes this hockey stuff. I went to Pittsburgh (long drive from Indy) March 22 and last Sunday and he was there both times. There is just nothing better than live hockey as Tom Glavine said last night during his interview.

kakn7294
05-12-2008, 03:01 PM
That is quite a story about the young man with cancer. I am glad they showed it. I like the Pens a lot, but am not a Steelers fan being raised in NE Ohio. My wife got me into the Pens and, quite frankly, it is nice to agree on something and have a mutual interest.

However, I think Ben seems like a good guy. I also think that Big Ben really likes this hockey stuff. I went to Pittsburgh (long drive from Indy) March 22 and last Sunday and he was there both times. There is just nothing better than live hockey as Tom Glavine said last night during his interview.Yeah, I know we're on opposite sides of the ball during football season! Big Ben is a great guy - he's really matured since his rookie days. He does seem to really like hockey - they're always showing him at games, even with their overlapping seasons.

I like when they show things like the 1984 draft class - I never realized that Tom Glavine was drafted into the NHL. I also think it's hysterical that Gary Roberts was drafted that same year - that's more years ago than many of his teammates have been alive!

PirateLover
05-12-2008, 05:55 PM
There is just nothing better than live hockey as Tom Glavine said last night during his interview.

I think this is something all of us hockey fans can agree upon. There is just so much that goes on behind the camera and in the arena, especially for the more popular teams that have a lot of fans. There's nothing quite like a hockey game, and I think that NHL playoffs are the most exciting out of all 4 major sports.

Hammer
05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
I like when they show things like the 1984 draft class - I never realized that Tom Glavine was drafted into the NHL. I also think it's hysterical that Gary Roberts was drafted that same year - that's more years ago than many of his teammates have been alive!

Yes, Tom Glavine was drafted by the LA Kings as well as the Braves. As much as he loves hockey, I think his having over 300 wins shows he made the right choice :baseball: !

MMouse6937
05-12-2008, 11:10 PM
WOW, what a game, once again total domination. I hate to say but I feel a sweep coming on. This has been a crazy playoff series, I can't believe both Dallas and Colorado were so easily dominated.

Well, bring on game 4 and the :vacuum:

WOO HOO LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

kakn7294
05-13-2008, 01:38 AM
WOW, what a game, once again total domination. I hate to say but I feel a sweep coming on. This has been a crazy playoff series, I can't believe both Dallas and Colorado were so easily dominated.

WOO HOO LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!I hope you're right but don't get too excited too early. You never know... but it does look good.

DH is hoping for a Wings - Pens Stanley Cup series. He says that either way, he wins. He's been a Wings fan for over 25 years and of course, we're Pens fans as well. We'll be rooting for the Pens though, of course.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM

WOO HOO LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!

No kidding! Nashville is the only team that has made Detroit work. I would have thought these other teams would have done a little better. Both these teams should have just stayed home.

PirateLover
05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I did watch some of the game last night. Red Wings are just unstoppable. Every time Dallas came back to tie, they answered almost immediately. It's like it doesn't even phase them. They are playing with so much confidence.

PirateLover
05-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Ugh. Well, it looks like the over achieving Flyers have been smacked back into reality. The first Pens goal was stolen for them (1st pd refereeing was atrocious) but the Flyers played terrible the rest of the game. Pens were on them like paint. I would like to win at least one game to save some face. It might be possible if we get Coburn back for game 4.
BTW can I say again how much I can't stand VS? Especially when they do the interviews over game play. SO annoying!

kakn7294
05-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah baby!!! One more game! Let's go Pens!!!

JPL
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
BTW can I say again how much I can't stand VS? Especially when they do the interviews over game play. SO annoying!

And don't forget their large and annyoing ads for shows in the lower left corner that always seem to pop-up when the puck is in that area :rolleyes:

PirateLover
05-14-2008, 10:21 AM
And don't forget their large and annyoing ads for shows in the lower left corner that always seem to pop-up when the puck is in that area :rolleyes:
Have you seen the gigantic beer advertisement? I think it's Bud Light... it takes up the entire bottom half of the screen practically. And whoever the color guy was last night stunk. After every penalty he'd say things like "Well, the Flyers fans probably don't agree with it, but the question is, do you want to be able to see good players skate?" What the heck is that? It's a penalty or it's not, it shouldn't matter what player it's against. How come Hatcher gets hooking penalties for grazing Malkin with his stick, but Malkin can blatantly elbow Danny Briere in the head behind play and not even get a penalty let alone a fine or even a suspension? (That happened in game 2). I'm getting very disgruntled with the new direction the NHL is headed, and VS is definitely a part of that.

barnaby
05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Pens are a better team.
Flyers have gone from dead last to the conference finals in one season. I have enjoyed the ride.

PirateLover
05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
I h ope the Flyers put up a decent fight tomorrow... we just got tickets to the game ;)

Donald A
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM

I noticed that too. I mean doesn't anyone at VS. realize this. It was almost like the girl (whose boyfriend got kicked out after several warnings for pounding on the glass) who felt the need to stand up in the second row down by the glass. This was during play in front of the net in OT of game five of the Rangers/Pens. Our whole section got mad. Unfortunately she was right in front of me. I guess it can happen on TV too.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
So it looks like there will be a Sat. game after all.

kakn7294
05-15-2008, 12:33 PM
So it looks like there will be a Sat. game after all.Yeah, and darn it, I have to work. It's hard finding places to watch the games at work - it's awkward watching with the patients and we rarely have an empty bed, let alone an empty room. I'm just hoping there's not another game on Sunday as well.

kakn7294
05-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Well darn, I have to work on Sunday...

Hammer
05-15-2008, 10:53 PM
I think Maryanne may be a good luck charm for the Flyers. Maryanne, any way you may be able to get to Pittsburgh for Sunday's game ;) ?

PirateLover
05-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I think Maryanne may be a good luck charm for the Flyers. Maryanne, any way you may be able to get to Pittsburgh for Sunday's game ;) ?

Haha, that's what my brother said, that we should go to Pitt. ;) We had such a great time tonight. It was my dad, my brother, and myself. Last night I decided to check prices on tickets online and we got $100 seats for $70. The arena was so loud, everyone was into the game. You would've never guessed that the Flyers were down 3 games to 0 headed into this. I am so glad we made the decision to go. The Flyers looked like a completely different team tonight....

Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch on Sun because I have tickets to see Stone Temple Pilots. Agh! I just heard on the radio thought that there is a longshot that Timonen could be back on sunday, and Coburn will most likely be back as well... so look out Penguins!!!!

PirateLover
05-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow I'm surprised there are no comments about today's game.

You know there is a statistic floating around out there.. only 2 teams have come back from being down 3-0. The Maple Leafs did it against the Red Wings in 1942. 33 years later, the Islanders did it against the Penguins. It is now 2008... 33 years later. Interesting that both series involve the same teams who collapsed before. Wouldn't it be something if one or both of these teams came back to win the series?

Also, Timonen will definitely play for the Flyers tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Ian
05-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Also, Timonen will definitely play for the Flyers tomorrow. :thumbsup:That's huge.

kakn7294
05-18-2008, 05:43 PM
6 - 0, now that's HUGE!!! Good-bye Flyers and hello Stanley Cup finals!

Let's go Pens!!!

DisneyCrazyET
05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Kathy you beat me.
Dial up takes longer.

Way to go Pens!!!!
So long Flyers....
next

kakn7294
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Kathy you beat me.
Dial up takes longer.

Way to go Pens!!!!
So long Flyers....
nextYeah, and I had it ready to post at 2 min left in the game. I hit submit as soon as the final second ticked off!

Ian
05-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Hey, it was a great ride. Considering we were dead last in the NHL last season, making the Conference Finals and losing in 5 games to, arguably, the best team in the NHL is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm absolutely thrilled at how well the Flyers did this season and I send a hearty congrats their way along with a big "THANKS FOR GOOD TIMES!!"

One other thing ... this Pens team is really, really talented. They have like 4 players on this team that could be the keystone, star player for almost any franchise in the league. Not only that, they play defense like no team I've seen in years. They're gonna go all the way ... mark my words. Detroit is tough, but they haven't played anyone like the Pens yet this year.

As far as my Fly-Boys go ... the Pens had back-to-back dismal seasons in a row before they got good. All things considered with this team, I expect to be where they are next season or the season after. And remember, we played almost all year without the guy who is, arguably, our best player, Simon Gagne.

A good off-season, getting Gagne back, and another year to gel and this team will be a force.

Donald A
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I am watching the post-game on FSN. The Penguins still have their eye on the big prize. Sid would not touch the Wales trophy and no one is wearing thier Eastern Conference Champ shirts. Also, no one will say "Stanley Cup." These guys are worse then baseball players.

kakn7294
05-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I am watching the post-game on FSN. The Penguins still have their eye on the big prize. Sid would not touch the Wales trophy and no one is wearing thier Eastern Conference Champ shirts. Also, no one will say "Stanley Cup." These guys are worse then baseball players.They're so funny aren't they? Following quirky traditions that date back so far that their grandfathers don't even know how they started. I'll be wearing MY Eastern Conference Champs shirt. I want a hat but $29 is a bit rich for my blood.

PirateLover
05-19-2008, 12:27 AM
I am watching the post-game on FSN. The Penguins still have their eye on the big prize. Sid would not touch the Wales trophy and no one is wearing thier Eastern Conference Champ shirts. Also, no one will say "Stanley Cup." These guys are worse then baseball players.

They're so funny aren't they? Following quirky traditions that date back so far that their grandfathers don't even know how they started. I'll be wearing MY Eastern Conference Champs shirt. I want a hat but $29 is a bit rich for my blood.

Not touching the Wales trophy is a somewhat tradition based on a silly superstition (although Hockey by nature is one of the most superstitious sports). If you watch the playoffs every year, you probably know that plenty of teams do touch it. Eric Lindros didn't touch it in 97 and then we got swept by Detroit... I think that they players should just embrace it and enjoy it, who knows when you'll be back again.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in the Pens fans on this board. You really didn't comment much at all except to say "Yay we won" after some of the games. I expected more X's and O's and back and forth, given that everyone was so upset over Ian and I dominating the thread with Flyers talk.

All of that being said, I think the Pens proved that they were clearly a superior team in this series. Injuries hurt us a major amount.... officiating hurt us somewhat, though not as much as previous rounds... and overall I think we could have played MUCH much better. However, in the end, we got beat by the better team, no questions about it.

At the end of the day, I am proud of what this team accomplished... we went from being the worst team to the 4th best in the league (pretty much). That's nothing to sneeze at.
GO DALLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kakn7294
05-19-2008, 03:55 AM
Not touching the Wales trophy actually isn't so much a tradition as it is a superstition. If you watch the playoffs every year, you'd see that plenty of teams do touch it. Eric Lindros didn't touch it in 97 and then we got swept by Detroit... I think that they players should just embrace it and enjoy it, who knows when you'll be back again.I do happen to know a little about hockey traditions and superstitions given that I've been a hockey fan nearly as long as you've been alive. And I do watch the playoffs every year, as well as much of the regular season when I have the opportunity.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in the Pens fans on this board. You really didn't comment much at all except to say "Yay we won" after some of the games. I expected more X's and O's and back and forth, given that everyone was so upset over Ian and I dominating the thread with Flyers talk.After you gave our boys girly names to make fun of them, accused them of "diving" to draw penalties, complained that officiating went the Pens way, and got offended when someone commented that you and Ian were dominating the thread, I had no desire to engage you in a back and forth conversation or talk X's and O'x with you. Sorry to disappoint you, I'd just rather celebrate my team's accomplishments than rip on yours.

All of that being said, I think the Pens proved that they were clearly a superior team in this series. Injuries hurt us a major amount.... officiating hurt us somewhat, though not as much as previous rounds... and overall I think we could have played MUCH much better. However, in the end, we got beat by the better team, no questions about it.Thanks, the Pens are the better team. I just glad they had the opportunity to prove it so clearly.

Ian
05-19-2008, 08:50 AM
After you ... accused them of "diving" to draw penalties ... Okay, just to be clear, I didn't "accuse" them of diving. Accuse implies there's a chance that they're innocent of the charge.

I pointed out their diving.

There's no doubt that Crosby dives more than Greg Louganis. I'm certainly not the only one who's noticed it. He's been called out on it by any number of players and analysts.

Now it's up to you, as a fan, to decide whether diving is good or bad. If it works for him, then that's really more the fault of the NHL for allowing him to get away with it, in my opinion.

PirateLover
05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
I do happen to know a little about hockey traditions and superstitions given that I've been a hockey fan nearly as long as you've been alive.
What does age have to do with anything? I guess I chose my phrasing a bit poorly but my main point was I thought they should've enjoyed the trophy. Had the Flyers won and not touched it I'd say the same thing.

After you gave our boys girly names to make fun of them
That was so obviously a joke. But as most of the post was geared toward something serious, you could've chose to comment on that- Timonen's injury. You could've easily said "I don't think it matters that your best d-man is out, the Pens D can take care of the Flyers anyway. The media focuses on the offense but the defense is strong as well"

accused them of "diving" to draw penalties,
Oh please. If you watch as many games as you say you do, how can you honestly say that Sidney Crosby doesn't dive. I don't believe I ever accused anyone of diving in this series though. It was just some jeering coming into the actual series.

complained that officiating went the Pens way,
Yes, but I believe I complained in GENERAL that the officiating was bad on BOTH sides for this series.

and got offended when someone commented that you and Ian were dominating the thread
And this was exactly my point. I was not "offended." It is not Ian nor I's fault that there aren't as many fans of other teams on the board that choose to post on here, and it was getting a bit annoying to keep having it referred to the Flyers thread etc. I try to watch other games and comment, and I really thought that being in a series where the other team actually had fans on the boards that we could have some fun. Guess I was wrong.

JPL
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm the entire Hockey Fanbase outside of the Pitt area calls Crosby "Cindy". He got the nickname from his constant whinning to the officials in his first couple of seasons.

Actually the comments on Intercot are very mild compared to true sports discussion sites