PDA

View Full Version : Dinoland USA in AK

letsdoitagain
04-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I think they should get rid of Dinoland USA and replace the Dinosaur ride with the Indiana Jones ride they have at Disneyland. It would fit the theme of safaries and jungles and stuff. Much better than Dinosaurs which doesn't fit at all in my opinion.

Who's with me!?!:mickey:

DizneyRox
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
It's in the wrong end of the park...

Personally, I like Dinoland (although not Cester and Hesters carnival freakshow over there) and I kindof wish they developed it a little more. Frankly, the Dinosaur Exhibit they had before the carnival games was much better. Even like stopping by the booth where they were doing work on Sue which is now visible (yes, it's a copy, not the real skeleton) along the pathway to Dinosaur.

Von-Drake
04-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I would really like to see the Indiana Jones ride from DisneyLand over here in Disney World. I love the queue area for this ride (inside and out).

katzctkpt
04-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Dino land is not one of my favorite parts of AK . I think that area is a let down it looks like it belongs at a carnival instead of a Disney park.

joonyer
04-09-2008, 02:31 PM
You're right about the carnival or county fair atmosphere, but we really love the Primeval Whirl coaster. It's one of our favorite rides at WDW, even if the decor is a little cheesy or tacky. It's a lot of fun.

adamsfam5
04-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I am surprised the carnival area is in AK. It just seems like a cheap Six Flags kind of area. I wish they'd tear it down and build - something. Anything!

WedWay Peoplemover
04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Chester and Hester's DinoRama looks like it belongs in a carnival because it, in fact, is intended to look like a roadside fair/attraction. DinoRama is supposed to look as far from a Disney park as possible...so your observation is exactly what was intended.

Chester and Hester are trying to "Cash in" on all the traffic driving to the more established attractions in Diggs County, such as the Dino Institute.

you'd be amazed at the lengths that Disney Imagineers went to in order to make the land look "delightfully tacky"...and not like a Disney theme park.

I suggest taking the Wild By Design program/tour at Disney's Animal Kingdom to learn more!

407-WDW-TOUR

CaptainJessicaSparrow
04-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Not to mention that the Dinoland area pays homage to the earlier forms of amusement parks such as Coney Island, Dreamland, Luna Park, and Steeplechase. In a way, because of those places, Disney was able to draw inspiration from and develop Disneyland and WDW on scales that those parks could have only dreamed of.

Plus the Indiana Jones ride would be severely out of place in Dinoland since it has nothing to do with Dinosaurs and Disney is all about the themeing and the preservation of it.

Gottaluvgoof
04-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I love the Dinosaur ride! I also like the Primeval Whirl. I don't have a problem with DinoLand. I guess I can understand people always wanting changes, but for me personally, I love every minute of my time in DW and I just don't have time to imagine changes while I'm there. I'm too busy figuring out how to take it all in.

DizneyRox
04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Chester and Hester's DinoRama looks like it belongs in a carnival because it, in fact, is intended to look like a roadside fair/attraction. DinoRama is supposed to look as far from a Disney park as possible...so your observation is exactly what was intended.
Some will argue that the Imagineers were lazy and desperately needed something to fill that section of the park. The easiest thing to do was bring in off the shelf rides/games and then tell everyone "Hey, we meant to do that! And we did it so well, you've been fooled into thinking that it's out of place. HAHA!"

So who's right? Judging by the stinkers coming from WDI, I'm not so sure I'm going to swallow that pill too.

momof3+twins
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I love Dinoland. Give it a chance and don't worry about it "fitting in" with the theme of AK. Kids have alot of fun there. And our family spends most of our AK time there!

bucky at disney
04-09-2008, 03:44 PM
You're right about the carnival or county fair atmosphere, but we really love the Primeval Whirl coaster. It's one of our favorite rides at WDW, even if the decor is a little cheesy or tacky. It's a lot of fun.

:ditto:

Hayden's Dad
04-09-2008, 03:45 PM
I think Dinoland goes right along with AK, look at their logo it has a Triceratops on it.

I do wish they would develop the fantasy aspect more. They now have the Yeti and the Dragon waterfall as you head over to Camp Minnie Mickey but that is it. They could do some really cool stuff along those lines. I mean a Dragon is in the center of their logo.

Gator
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
No way, man. And I've been on the Indy ride a lot. Dino is a super scary ride and lots of fun. Dinoland, although not as good as the other lands at AK, is still really good for little ones. And since I have some now, that's a good place to go.

#1donaldfan
04-09-2008, 09:01 PM
I kinda like the dino area...yeah it's very much "carnivalish", that's what makes it so much fun....I really like primevil whirl.....that's a fun carnival type of ride...keep it like it is, if something new needs to come in and/or to make room for a new thrill ride, there is plenty of land to develope....:cool:

HairyBear
04-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Why not just make an Indy ride in DHS?Keep Dinosaur in AK. I woluldn't mind having two similar rides at WDW. I think this could be done without too much fuss. I haven't ridden but it sounds like Toy Story Mania is going to be like Buzz Lightyear although some have said that it will be more like MIB at Universal. As long as they don't get as ridiculous as Universal has with the simulator type rides, Back to the future,Jimmy Neutron and Shrek 4D these rides are basically the same just different characters even the sequencing of the special effect seem to be timed the same on each ride.

IloveDisney71
04-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I like the dino. ride and love primeval whirl. I agree that Dinoland is tacky but it's kind of fun. I'd hate to the see either of these rides taken away.

pink
04-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm not very fond of the carnival theme in Dinoland but I love Dinosaur and I wouldn't want it replaced! I think that the Indiana Jones ride would be a great addition to WDW but it could also fit well in DHS. :mickey:

AHOTE
04-10-2008, 12:54 AM
There are only two reasons I go into that area, Primeval Whirl and Dinosaur. Nothing else in that area is a draw for me. :( The Indiana Jones ride would be better in DHS but do they really need it with the Stunt Spectacular Show.

big blue and hairy
04-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Chester and Hester are trying to "Cash in" on all the traffic driving to the more established attractions in Diggs County, such as the Dino Institute.

you'd be amazed at the lengths that Disney Imagineers went to in order to make the land look "delightfully tacky"...and not like a Disney theme park.

I suggest taking the Wild By Design program/tour at Disney's Animal Kingdom to learn more!

407-WDW-TOUR

Exactly!!! I've never taken the tour, but I knew all the backstory. I like Dinoland USA including Chester and Hester. It's prehistorinc South Of The Border!! It's funny!

Also, I have a basic quarrel with the original premise. Forget doing anything to Dinosaur, just build the Indiana Jones ride in Hollywood Studios, and don't start with the same track same ride thing...Star Tours/Body Wars....

:sulley:

JabberJaws
04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Well I've always kinda wished they would have made Dinoland a more "serious" dinosaur themed area, though with IOA already having Jurassic Park, I can see the conflict. Also, with DAK not having a kids area (aside from CMM which is so far off the beaten path, I would hardly call it a kids/family area) I can see the need for DL. I do agree though that it being one of the first things you come to in the park is a bit distracting.

I will say though, aside from the fact that I wish it was still called Countdown to Extinction, I LOVE Dinosaur! I've been on both Indy and Dinosaur and though I like Indy the best of the two (mostly b/c its more elaborate themeing and opening layout on the inside) dinosaur is still one of my favorites, and one of the most thrilling rides at WDW. My 29 yr old sis still to this day refuses to ride it b/c it scared her so bad the first time!

Also, I must admit a guilty pleasure that I like Primevil whirl!

DNS
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
I like Dinosaur and wish they would have done more with Dinoland. That carnival thing is just awful in my opinion and if their "reason" for it being there has to be explained in a video, tour or anywhere, it missed it's mark. My opinion is that they wanted to add more rides in a hurry. Either way I think it falls far short of anything Disney. I think with some good imagineering though, Dinoland could be really cool. As it is now, we skip it half the time and probably wouldn't really miss it if they eliminated it totally.

Mackflava99
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Dinoland is fine the way it is-
primevil Whirl is great-

I think that he Chester and Hester aspect may be lacking because most folks dont really know them...sort of like Figment but Fgment at least has better publicists.

WedWay Peoplemover
04-10-2008, 12:49 PM
I think that he Chester and Hester aspect may be lacking because most folks dont really know them...sort of like Figment but Fgment at least has better publicists.

Ha ha ha.... well put... Figment had that top notch Hollywood publicist "Dreamfinder"...

"The Dreamport is never far away when you use your imagination!! Come on everybody, let's go!"

Lodger
04-11-2008, 10:36 AM
While I'd love the Indiana Jones ride to come to Disney World, I certainly don't want my favorite ride in AK, Dinosaur, sacrificed for it.

big blue and hairy
04-12-2008, 03:11 PM
That carnival thing is just awful in my opinion and if their "reason" for it being there has to be explained in a video, tour or anywhere, it missed it's mark.

No offense, but it didn't have to be explained to me, I got it immediately.

:sulley: