PDA

View Full Version : Any FL paramedics out there?

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-08-2008, 03:51 PM
My DH is switching his last Paramedic class to a program in FL starting next month. I'm just curious if there are any Paramedics that can give any information about being a medic in FL. It seems like a lot of places require you to be a fireman too. He has no desire to do that and only wants to be a paramedic in the Orlando area. Just curious what is going to be like. Thanks! It would be cool to be a medic at Disney!:thumbsup:

Ed
04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm not a paramedic myself, but in case you're not aware of it, Disney does have their own Fire-Rescue department, Reedy Creek Emergency Services (http://www.rcid.org/Dept_Emergency.cfm). They do have their own paramedics who perform their duties in ways not found in your typical city. At WDW you may see paramedics on full rescue trucks, ambulances (known as "Alpha Units" in CM parlance), Segway scooters, golf carts - - whatever gets them where they're needed in a hurry. I'm not certain whether their paramedics are cross-trained as firefighters.

:ambal:

Kenny1113
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
DH is a FF/paramedic. I don't know how reedy creek operates, but most fl fire depts ( including Orange County) are where paramedics work, therefpre are also firefighters. Private ambulance companies also hire paramedics,(thats all they do) but I don't believe the pay rate is as high

Harley-Davidson_Guy
04-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I think that is pretty much what we found out. My DH's passion is EMS and being a paramedic is all he wants to do. I believe there will be plenty of places that he will find that are strickly paramedic. Like you said, the hospitals seem to run only paramedic. I think the units that run at Disney are only Paramedic / EMT and do not require the fire cert. Reedy Creek seems to run seperate and they look to require both. We'll just have to wait and see where God places him! :number1: