PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney World Menus Evolving With Healthful Choices

Figment!
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Walt Disney World Menus Evolving With Healthful Choices

Walt Disney World Press Release
April 4, 2008

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- "Do you want apple slices or fries with that cheeseburger?"
It's all about healthful choices as Walt Disney World quick-service and fast-casual restaurants refine their menus. French fries aren't going away, but menus are being revised with well-balanced options -- at least one low-fat and one vegetarian entrée at all table service restaurants, and side options to include salads and fresh fruit.

In October 2006, Disney's Parks & Resorts changed its standard kids meals to feature healthy side dishes and beverages, and the overwhelming majority of guests opt for healthy options, said Ed Wronski, director of Product Development for Walt Disney World Food & Beverage.

Today a kid's meal automatically comes with fruit or vegetables on the side and juice, water or low-fat milk to drink. Fries and soda are available upon request, at no additional cost.

Guest research showed that more than three-quarters of parents selected fruit or vegetable side options when they were offered first -- rather than French fries. Recognizing that visits to Disney parks are vacations, parents can still request more indulgent meals and snacks from a wide variety of food offerings.

The number of fresh fruit carts at the parks is steadily increasing while other nutritious snacks like nuts and trail mix are also more readily available.

"The new healthful menus expand the options for our guests," said Wronski. "The reaction, both from the chefs and the guests, has been very, very positive."

Constantly looking for ways to improve the nutritional profiles and tastes of popular entrées, Disney changed to a guest-tested hamburger with fat content less than 20 percent and buns with 10 percent whole wheat. Quick-service pizzas now have whole-grain crusts and lower-fat cheese.
Even desserts get a makeover: anywhere they are served, guests will find options such as reduced fat, low sugar and fresh fruit.

Disney is working with manufacturers to reformulate recipes for candy, packaged food and bakery items sold in the parks, or identifying replacement products as the company continues to phase out added trans-fats. Portion-controlled snacks and treats and packaging to promote nutritious food are part of the changes.

Catering to Dietary Needs

Walt Disney World Resort gets more than 7,000 requests a month from guests with special dietary needs. Most requested are meals free of gluten, eggs and dairy, and peanuts and tree nuts.

With a call three days in advance, Walt Disney World full-service restaurants can accommodate special dietary needs such as allergies to gluten or wheat, shellfish, soy, lactose or milk, peanuts, tree nuts, fish or eggs.

"We have a team of passionate chefs who get together and discuss guest needs and trends," said Wronski. "They love the challenge."

Lifestyle diets -- sugar free, low fat, low sodium, vegetarian or vegan -- are easily accommodated. When guests call 407/WDW-DINE, they can make the request and then talk with their server or the manager when they arrive at the restaurants.

Kosher meals are available at most full-service restaurants and need to be ordered at least 24 hours in advance by calling 407/WDW-DINE. Meals are Glatt Kosher, prepared in Miami and flown to Walt Disney World Resort.

If you don't order in advance, kosher meals are always available at the following quick-service locations: Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe in Magic Kingdom, World Premiere Food Court at Disney's All-Star Movies Resort, Intermission Food Court at Disney's All-Star Music Resort, End Zone Food Court at Disney's All-Star Sports Resort, Everything Pop Shopping and Dining at Disney's Pop Century Resort, ABC Commissary at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Riverside Mill Food Court at Disney's Port Orleans Resort and Pizzafari at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Ian
04-08-2008, 01:57 PM
I do like the fact that they're now offering more healthy eating options for both adults and children.

As long as they keep both choices open to guests I'm all for it. The only issue I would have would be if they'd take away the ability to indulge every once in awhile.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-08-2008, 02:15 PM
I like the idea of having more choices...there are times for a treat, but fries can get pretty old after a week at Disney.

big blue and hairy
04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
:haha:

The only issue I would have would be if they'd take away the ability to indulge every once in awhile.

Take away the ability to indulge at Disneyworld?! THAT'S not gonna happen...:eat:

:sulley:

mjstaceyuofm
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
The healthier food options are a nice choice.

I like the fact they are acknowledging people with special dietary needs. Our oldest son is allergic to fish and tree nuts. He's 9 and has learned to live with it and be responsible. We carry an epi-pen around with us for the "just in case" factor, but our policy has always been that it is something HE needs to manage. We don't go to the extreme of having special things prepared when we go out to restaurants, but we've had plenty of experiences with waitstaff who have no clue about allergies, etc...

I know that we won't go to the extreme of calling ahead three days in advance to discuss his dietary needs or have special meals made, but what I do like about this program is the fact that hopefully the waitstaff will be more aware of the allergy issues and be able to reasonably answer questions about menu items so we can just choose something appropriate (and safe) from the existing menu.

For the record, we've typically had very professional responses at Disney restaurants. Either the waitstaff knew about the menu items or had the chef come out to answer questions.

dudeman1975
04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
I hope they never take away the right to indulge such as a side of fries. I am Disney that is part of the fun is eating differently then when you are home. We can always diet at home, I go on vacation and want to enjoy myself and forget the real world and dieting. Except for when I get home and find out I gained 20 pounds.
:mickey:

Mickey91
04-12-2008, 01:05 AM
As long as they keep choices it is nice. Now, if they could just make the kid's menu more location appropriate like having pizza on the pizzafari kids choices, or how about fish or chicken at the Columbia Harbour House?!