PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchairs and Airplanes

DawsonAR
04-08-2008, 10:46 AM
This is the first trip that we are taking my DD wheelchair. We usuallly take her adaptive stroller that is much smaller and lighter. I'm concerned about it getting damaged on the plane. We are on a small (50 seater) plane and they damaged ther adaptive stoller on another flight. Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) when traveling with a manual wheelchair. Please help ease my fears. Thanks

Mickey'sGirl
04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
My mother is completely disabled and requires a wheelchair full time. She and my father travel extensively worldwide, and she has probably taken one chair or another on 100 flights (various aircraft from huge to regional sized). In all their travels, they have only ever had one incident -- flying over to London. The airline arranged for a loaner whilst my parents were in England, and paid to get hers fixed when they got home.

So, based on our experience (1%ish) , I would say that your daughter's chair will arrive at either end unscathed. :pixie: for a wonderful and safe journey!

duckhere
04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
I had a thread about our horror story with DD's wheelchair and the small planes. We're still waiting on the fixes. Several people also shared their experiences. I don't know how to post a direct link, but it was called "Airlines, small planes and Electric Wheelchairs."

jenny1976
04-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi,
I am permanently disabled and hav been to Disney on numerous occasions and in various aircraft. Your best bet is to ask the Airline if they have a Captain's closet on board where they can store the wheelchair. If they do not, make sure you ask them to handle the wheelchair carefully. Have a reciept of what the chair is worth and make sure they give you a reciept once they take it to the cargo area. Also, have someone document the condition the chair is in before you travel, preferably someone professional. My best advice though is to know that the Air Carriers Access Act of 1998 gives them the responsability of returning your equipment in the same condition it was given to them for storage. Let them know you are aware of your rights and you are willing to defend them (they will have to pay).
Hope it helps and that your trip is magical!!:thumbsup:
163 days from the MAGIC!!!

chick20679
04-12-2008, 06:42 PM
This is the first trip that we are taking my DD wheelchair. We usuallly take her adaptive stroller that is much smaller and lighter. I'm concerned about it getting damaged on the plane. We are on a small (50 seater) plane and they damaged ther adaptive stoller on another flight. Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) when traveling with a manual wheelchair. Please help ease my fears. Thanks

Most 50 seat aircraft do not have closets that you can stow the wheelchair in, so you will have to gate claim the item. You can bring it with you all the way to the door of the aircraft and then the agents will put it in the cargo bin.
Be sure you check with your airline about the dimensions of their cargo bins and be sure that your DD wheelchair fits them. Assuming the wheelchair can be folded up, you shouldn't have much problem.

If the wheelchair has any removable parts (seat cushion, leg rests), be sure to take those into the cabin with you (stow them in the overhead compartment) to be sure they don't get misplaced.

Also, if the wheelchair has any special directions (on how to fold it or areas that are especially delicate) it can be very helpful to make up a placard that you can laminate and attach to the chair. That way, any airline agent who touches the chair (at your origin or destination) will know how to best handle that particular chair.

These are just some tips.

I hope you have a great trip. :mickey: