PDA

View Full Version : How do you get from DHS to the Boardwalk

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Can someone tell me how to get from DHS to the Boardwalk??? What is there to see and do? Which restaurants? My mother and I are looking to do one new thing this trip... and neither of us have ever been to the boardwalk.

THanks

Taja
04-07-2008, 07:45 PM
You can take a Friendship launch from DHS to the Boardwalk. When exiting the park, instead of going right to parking and buses, go left to the dock.

The Boardwalk is more interesting late afternoon into evening. Not much going on during the day, although the shops are open.

I'm sure someone who spends more time there will be along soon. :)

Seasonscraps
04-07-2008, 07:51 PM
You can take the boat or walk - it's about a 15-20 minute walk.

The Boardwalk has a bunch of shops, an art gallery, an ice cream parlor/candy store, bakery, ESPN Club serves food & drinks plus they have a game room adjacent to the restaurant. You can rent Surreys or regular bikes.

For Dining there's also Spoodles which has a walk up window for pizza & salad, Flying Fish Cafe and Big River Grill.

In the evening, there are carnival games and performers. Jelly Rolls & the Atlantic Dance club open around 7.00/7.30.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Thank you both for the info...

Does anyone know about getting a double stroller on the boat?

gojoe
04-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Boardwalk comes to life when the sun goes down. Games of chance, street performers and people watching. Some of the finest dining on property, Spoodles and Flying Fish. Big River Grille & Brewing Works (Burger & Beer) and ESPN Club (Burgers and Sports). Food vendors, corn dogs, hot dogs, fried ice cream and pizza all on the boardwalk. The Boardwalk Bakery for pastries and coffee (not a good cup on property, Swan & Dolphin have Starbucks ). There is also Jellyrolls a dueling piano bar and Atlantic Dance Hall. Stand on the bridge to Epcot and watch Illuminations. It's also a short walk back to DHS if you need to walk off all the food. I almost forgot shopping and candy & ice cream..........:mickey:

Maleficent's Dad
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Two options for getting to the Boardwalk:
1. Friendship boats - described above
2. Walk - you'll need to walk to the RIGHT as if you were heading to the parking lot, then stay LEFT as you walk around the water - there's a sidewalk and signs are posted for the walkway. It's not a bad walk, but can be brutal in the summer heat. IF you choose to walk, when you get to the pool area of the Boardwalk (you can't miss it, just look for the pool slide which resembles an old fashioned wooden roller coaster), CUT THROUGH that area - you'll see the pool area, and then walk out to the main area of the Boardwalk proper.

On the Boardwalk, Atlantic Dance Hall and Jellyrolls are closest to the DHS side (adjacent to the Swan/Dolphin). They open at 7 PM nightly (most nights). Next to them is the Big River Grill - good beer, decent eats.

Moving along you'll find the DVC Preview center where you can "tour" a DVC villa and talk to a DVC person if you're so inclined.

Next is the Screen Door - a souvenier shop along with limited groceries and sundries. It also has the usual assortment of Disney stuff - shirts, hats, pins, etc...

In the "courtyard" area of the Boardwalk, there is a lovely large deck that you can sit out on and relax. In front of the courtyard is the rental area for surrey bikes. The courtyard also houses the Wyland Galleries - expensive art and sculptures - worth looking through.
In front of the courtyard is the ferry dock for the Friendship Boats. (The route of the ferries is: DHS, Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC, BW, EPCOT. Then it reverses from EPCOT going back.)

Then comes the Flying Fish.
Next to FF is the Sweet Shop with ice cream and candy. (Bathrooms are found in the back of this shop!) Adjacent to it is Spoodles restaurant complete with their take-out window for pizza.

The Bakery is next, followed by the ESPN game room and the ESPN Club.

Nightly entertainment starts "after 6 PM." It goes on late into the evening - the busier the time of year, the later it goes. During months like September and January, there's limited entertainment and it ends earlier (as opposed to summer months and Holiday Season).

The entertainment is fun and they almost always have "audience participation." It's family friendly and a real treat.

Great fun and lively times - but during the day, it is a bit quiet on the Boardwalk.

There are carts selling drinks and eats, as well as an area with some carnival games.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Just a little tip...Take a look at the line for the boat. If it is long, you will probably be better off walking.

We walked to and from BWV in December. The boat at the end of the night was just reaching us when we were walking up the walkway to the pool. It was much quicker to walk and we enjoyed it. That was on an unusually cold night in WDW too. It was 34' that day at noon and even colder that night!;)

Have a great trip!

sillyolbear
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
One other tip if you take the Friendship launch...the first stop leaving DHS is the Swan and Dolphin. You can disembark and walk over the bridge and onto the Boardwalk saving you some time. The boat goes to the Yacht/Beach Club before crossing back over the lagoon to the Boardwalk dock.

Brian
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
One other thing... The Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club, and Swan & Dolphin all surround the same lake. There is a walkway that connects them all together. So, in addition to the things to do on the Boardwalk itself, there's some things you can do at the other places as well. That being said...

If you're looking for a quick meal or ice cream, Beaches & Cream is a great little spot at the Beach Club. It's located behind their main swimming complex (can't really call it just a pool :mickey:) and sits in between the Yacht & Beach Club.

Fantasia Gardens miniature golf is located near the Swan & Dolphin. It's fun to play when the crowds aren't too bad.

dumbo_buddy
04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
i think the walk is great! not that we don't do enough walking in disney - but still, it's so quiet along the water and there is hardly anyone around most of the time.

and, once you get to the boardwalk you can keep right on going to epcot! such an easy way to get to two parks in a short period of time!!:mickey:

SAHDad
04-08-2008, 05:30 PM
If you want to walk it, here is the route:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1772741

wendy*darling
04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
That's a nice view of the walkway!

A couple of things to note:
You actually go UNDER Buena Vista Drive- so don't think you have to cross a busy road.
This route takes you to right by the Atlantic Dance Hall. If you cut through at the bigger pool- you save a little time and some steps.

You can see on the map how you exit the park and get to the walkway toward the right.
You can also see if you go left- you'll get to the boat dock.

Beast_fanatic
04-08-2008, 10:17 PM

I know some people brought a stroller onboard the last time that I took the boat. I believe they folded it up though (the boat was pretty full).

Taja
04-09-2008, 02:52 PM

They've always required that children be removed from strollers and the strollers folded every time I've been on a Friendship launch. 'Course, it's always busy when I ride one! *LOL*

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Thank you all for the info!!!