PDA

View Full Version : An update on me...

TinyDancer
04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Lol, here's the quick and dirty update on me that has been so long coming!

As you know, I graduated school (IUP) in May, then went to Disney. Interesting trip, definately some things I won't do again in the way we did them. But obviously amazing and a learning experience. A few days after we got home, we flew out to Albuquerque, NM for my cousin's wedding. It was a family reunion! I loved it, I love my family and hadn't seen 99% of them in literally about 12 years. Came home and got a job at a pet store, which I still work at part time and LOVE. I also, after the whole summer of interviewing with them and thinking they forgot about me, got a job at an alternative school! Officially I am the office manager, unofficially I'm everything, lol. It is a very small school, 30 kids max but the most we've had is 18 so far. Two teachers, two counselors, a few interns, and me. One of the best parts about it is that I have so much contact with so many different youth agencies that when I get my Masters (which my company pays for, whoo hoo!) I will have a much better idea of what I want to do instead of just blinding falling into something and hoping I like it. There are obvious stressors and some days are really hard, but these kids make it so worth it. I love them, truely love them, as if they were my own kids. I never knew what it meant to be a mom until I worked here. I do everything from discipline to talk about boys/girls (depending on the kid, lol) to kiss boo boos. One girl claims me as her mentor. To be respected and liked by these kids is one of the greatest honors I've ever known. I could go on and on and on about how much I love what I'm doing, but I'll spare you all, lol. But let me just say that I know my place in life is working with troubled kids and this really rekindles my passion to foster/adopt at-risk or troubled teens. I can't stop smiling thinking about how great they are, lol!

In any case, that's really it. Had a boyfriend, kicked him to the curb. Don't have one now, but I'm really happy with where my life is on that front. As always, kicking around the idea of moving down to Disney area for a while. A lifelong close friend of the family is the head research biologist at AK, so maybe a call to her is in order on housing, lol! Going to a lot of shows lately, seeing Scary Kids Scaring Kids here in a few weeks. Had to put my baby down (my puppy)... Amazing trip to the Outer Banks... I guess that's it really for the big stuff! But I'm definately glad to be back. :) It is very comforting!!!

PirateLover
04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Welcome back! That's great about finding a job... it's been almost a year since I graduated and I still haven't found anything permanent. I think you have to luck into that first real job sometimes to be able to breath and reflect on what you want your next step to be.
Sounds like you've had quite a busy year!

KineGirl
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM
A big HELLO from the Outer Banks! Come back and see us again soon!! Heres a tip for your next trip: Go soundside and watch the sunset. Its an amazing & rare experience for most of those who live on the East coast. I live on the sound and the sunsets are spectacular!

I know what you mean about troubled teens. So many times they just need attention, love & guidance. Not that all their parents are awful or anything (kids dont come with books after all) but some are and these kids are lucky to have the program and ppl like you in their lives. My DH and I have tossed around adopting/fostering a teen after our DD17 goes to college. They so often are unfortunately over looked. Enjoy them!