PDA

View Full Version : My poor puppy...

TinyDancer
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, after an amazing week in the Outer Banks (I watched the sun rise over the ocean from my bed, outside of Disney it doesn't get much better!), we came home to my poor puppy not breathing right and white gums. Long story short, we rushed her to an emergency vet where they decided she had a tumor in her heart and really the nicest thing to do for her was put her to sleep. It was horrible, it still is horrible. Even more depressing was the fact that other than not breathing right (she had fluid surrounding her lungs and heart, thus the inability to breathe), she was so happy. But looking at it from a little bit of a distance, I truely think she was happy because we told her she was going. She had been off for a long time, very very depressed. (You pet owners understand that you know when your animals are depressed.) I think she had been feeling lousy for a LONG time but was just waiting around until she thought we could handle it. I stayed in there with her and thank God for the sweet, amazing vet we had who was so nice. Anyway, I miss her a lot. My cat is unfazed (Daisy always tried to eat her head) and Dixie, my other dog, after a few days of being really depressed and peeing on the floor (which she DOES NOT do) seems to be fairly happy to be the only dog again. So lets throw a party for my puppy Daisy May, 7/4/97-3/29/08, because she got to go join Pretty Kitty, Muffin, Ivy, and Jigsaw on that big couch in the sky!!! :angel::paw::dog:

Ed
04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
:( I know exactly how you feel.

When you have a pet who graciously allows you to share their lives, you can't help but get terribly attached. We had one such little guy (a West Highland White Terrier) who was with us for about 15 years before he developed Cushing's Disease. Although it was somewhat controlled with meds, he gradually deteriorated until one day we realized that it wasn't fair to him to let him suffer any more. My wife just couldn't do it, so I stayed with him while the vet very compassionately sent him off to his well-deserved rest and reward. :cry: Although it broke our hearts, we knew that we had done the right thing.

:pixie: for you and your family - - especially Dixie and Daisy.

DisneyDog
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
I am so sorry! I lost both of my dogs in the past 18 months (actually, they went exactly one year apart from each other...they will forever share that date in my heart -- 12/21). They were everything to me, especially before my DS was born. We now have one cat who is wonderful, and so calm and relaxing. I miss my doggies so much, but there are definitely things about having an elderly dog that I don't miss. It is hard work, and when there are two of them both going down hill, it's exhausting and draining. My thoughts are with you.

SBETigg
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
:hug: to you and lovely thoughts for the beautiful Daisy May. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye, but so glad you had many good years with her.

Tick-Tock
04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Our condolences to you. It's always sad to have to wish our furry friends farewell, even when it's the right thing to do.

Jasper
04-07-2008, 11:30 AM
We have also lost our two old dogs in the last 6 months and just last week our old cat so I know how you are feeling.

For TiggTigg5, what is Cushing's disease? With the veritable menagerie of animals we have had over the years I thought I had heard of all the possible animal diseases but this one is new to me.

Ed
04-07-2008, 11:42 AM
For TiggTigg5, what is Cushing's disease? With the veritable menagerie of animals we have had over the years I thought I had heard of all the possible animal diseases but this one is new to me.

From http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html -

"Cushing's Disease (hyperadrenocorticism) is a common condition in older dogs, often mistaken for the aging process itself. Dogs gain weight, lose hair, urinate in the house, and make owners begin to prematurely consider euthanasia. Yet Cushing's disease is treatable and that treatment can result in a longer, more comfortable life for the dog and its owner. Thus, it is important for the regular pet owner to learn the basic facts about Cushing's disease."

See the above website for more details. We had never heard of it either.

KineGirl
04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Our deepest sympathies goes out to you & yours. Its so hard to lose them when they have nitched out a spot in our hearts and families. I hope Daisy May now can run in green fields with butterflies and sunshine forever.

Hugs :hug:

RenDuran
04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear you came home from such a great trip to find your sweet Daisy May doing poorly. I'll keep you all in my thoughts.