PDA

View Full Version : Free Dining Offer Released

Tink1
04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Disney has released the 2008 Free Dining Offer:

Book a Magic Your Way Package and get the base dining FREE!

Travel Dates 8/24-9/20

Booking dates are:
Disney Visa Holders 4/7-6/22/08
General Public 04/10/- 06/22/08

Booking Codes:
Disney Visa Magic Your Way Package w/ Dining - CMK
Disney Visa Magic Your Way w/ deluxe dining - CMP

General Public Magic Your Way Package w/ Dining - AYG
Genral Public Magic Your Way Package w/ Deluxe Dining - AYI

Remember, these offers are capacity controlled. You may have to sWitch resorts to get the offer.

Nanc

merlinmagic4
04-07-2008, 07:12 AM
What are the dates of travel?

Tink1
04-07-2008, 07:18 AM
8/24-9/20.

Sorry !

Nanc

wendy*darling
04-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Nanci-
Lots of people are asking if the dates are inclusive this year.
In other words are the dates 8/24-9/20 the only dates Free Dining is available?
Or if you check in by 9/20- do you still get the offer for your whole vacation?

onjbj
04-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!:mickey:

So glad the dates are set now! We arrive at the World on 8/24, so this works out so nicely for us! Glad the speculation is over.

Crow
04-07-2008, 07:33 AM
As always MJ on top of things
i have a room booked for that time period w a bounceback rate and am hoping for AP rate, so I have to decide today if i want to switch to free dining. I have a DDE card & AP already.
and I dont eat that much. would it make sense to me to pay rack rate & have to buy a 1 day pass to get the dining? hmmmmm
could someone else use the pass if someone goes w me? or could i save it for a future trip?

vorchik
04-07-2008, 07:38 AM
Does someone know what delux resorts are the most "limited" to this offer? I'm interested in Poly ;).

wendy*darling
04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Crow-
AP holders no longer have to purchase a one day pass to get the DDP. Also- even if there is an AP rate available- you can still purchase the DDP. It's no longer rack rate + a one day pass.

Now- I do not know what you would have to do to get "free" dining- but if you can get an AP rate (if one is available)- I would either pay OOP for food or purchase the DDP (if you so desire) remembering that many restaurants are already totally booked for that time period in anticipation of Free Dining!!

Tink1
04-07-2008, 07:45 AM
You can save the ticket for future use

Ones that check in the last week and go past the 9/20 dates seem to be getting free dinng the entire time so far. Will post if that changes

Being told very limited availability for dates post 9/20

Nanc

DisneyTwinsMommy
04-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Yay for Free Dining!! Altough, I have been on hold for over an hour as of now... grrrr... :mad:

That's ok, I'm going to Disney World!! :mickey3: :minnie:

goofiecrazy
04-07-2008, 08:11 AM
This just figures we arrive on the 22nd of Sept.There goes that chance of getting it for free.Why didnt they make it a little longer?

MMouse6937
04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
WOO HOO!! Already got my email from Debbie at MJs!! It's actually for my parent's reservation, we booked last year with the bounceback! Just glad they were able to get it! Thanks Debbie, you're the best! :thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
04-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Would love to take advantage of this deal....but during that time ---- it's SO hot.

Would they EVER have Free Dining during another time besides the oppressive time of year?....he he

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
04-07-2008, 08:38 AM
Does one just pay the difference between the Deluxe and Base Dining Plans in order to book the Deluxe Plan?

Thanks.

BethieTink
04-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Would love to take advantage of this deal....but during that time ---- it's SO hot.

Would they EVER have Free Dining during another time besides the oppressive time of year?....he he

Doubt it. They want to get people there during the slow time.

onjbj
04-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes, you would have to pay the difference between the regular dining plan and the deluxe.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
04-07-2008, 08:47 AM
My guess is that option will be very popular. I only hope that does not degrade the signature restaurants' quality.

Sunshine1010
04-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Bummer

Kim B
04-07-2008, 09:04 AM
You can save the ticket for future use

Ones that check in the last week and go past the 9/20 dates seem to be getting free dinng the entire time so far. Will post if that changes

Being told very limited availability for dates post 9/20

Nanc

Do you suppose they will do the same for those of us that are there 8/19-8/25, and give us FD for the entire time?

coloradowendyl
04-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Do you suppose they will do the same for those of us that are there 8/19-8/25, and give us FD for the entire time?

Check in date for the promotion is August 24. You can't get the free dining promotion if you are checking in earlier unless you do a split reservation. With your dates of 8/19 to 8/25, it would not work as there is a 3 day minimum stay required.

Wendy

Kim B
04-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Check in date for the promotion is August 24. You can't get the free dining promotion if you are checking in earlier unless you do a split reservation. With your dates of 8/19 to 8/25, it would not work as there is a 3 day minimum stay required.

Wendy
That's a bummer that they will extend it beyond 9/20 but not at the beginning. I've seen people checking in from 9/19-9/29 and getting FD. :(

DisneyTwinsMommy
04-07-2008, 09:18 AM
i finally got through and get exactly what we needed 9/20-9/27 at POP with free dining the entire time, you have to check-in on or before 9/20 to get the free dining offer!! The nice reservations CM also made all of my dining reservations!!!
:mickey3: :minnie:

Evelyn
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks to Debbie at MJ! She changed our existing reservation to Free Dining saving us over $600. Thanks!

disneyjo-91
04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
YAYAYAYAY!!!!!

WE SAVED $900 i am soooooo excited!!!!!

whhoooooo!!!!:party::party::party::party:

BMan62
04-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Kudos to Denise at MJ, she saved us over $530 on our September trip with this offer!

Can't beat MJ for keeping on top of the best deals as soon as they become available!

Goofeygal
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow thanks for the info.

ali'sdad2003
04-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I had booked in January for 9/20-9/7 and it worked out perfectly. WHEW!! Now, I just have to wait until July and book those $79 SWA fares from Chicago. I am so excited.:mickey:

Only 166 days to go.:thumbsup:

DisneyDudet
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
So, with the email we got yesterday, this offer was just too good to pass up! My parents told me if I paid for it, we could go, so I'm coughing up the money for all of us to go (their Christmas Presents!) and now we are booked at Pop Century for 4 nights, 5 days (we're going again in Jan, plus we have the cruise this June too!) with dining!

This will be a whole different experience for us, since we are probably going to use DME, and have the DINING! We're going to have to book our meals quick!!

I just quoted the same dates without a discount, and its about $400 bucks cheaper or so! THANK YOU DISNEY VISA!

applecore72
04-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know if all resorts are included in the offer (like the deluxe villas for instance)?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
i finally got through and get exactly what we needed 9/20-9/27 at POP with free dining the entire time, you have to check-in on or before 9/20 to get the free dining offer!! The nice reservations CM also made all of my dining reservations!!!
:mickey3: :minnie:

I had called yesterday for a co-worker & was told that if she checked in on 9/20/08, she would NOT get it passed that date. I kind of figured that if I called back & got a different CM I'd get a different answer, but she's not sure if she can go so I didn't bother waiting on hold again. It's nice to know that CM was wrong!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Hmmm...we wanted to go 9/20-9/27 also. The CM told us we could not get free dining past 9/20. I wish I would have talked to the same CM that some of you others spoke to.

Oh well, we are scheduled for 9/13-9/21 at Pop Century! And we have all of our dining reservations...Yeahh!

disneymaster
04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Does anybody know for sure if after 9/20 the dining ends even if you check in before that date? Doesn't seem like anybody has gotten a clear answer yet.

Also, when on the dining plan, do you have to pick from a "limited" menu at table service places? For example, at the Wolf Gang Puck Cafe they have a meal for about $25.00 and a desert sampler for about $10! That seems like a little much to be giving away for free so I just wanted to ask and see. First time on the plan here.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah! Thank you so much to Kathy at MJ. We now are going the days I originally wanted: Sept 19th-27th. From now on I will only book through MJ.:thumbsup:

mjaclyn
04-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Drat! I'm probably one of the very few people who aren't happy about this - DH and I just booked a vacation for 9/7 to 9/12 with DVC so we're not eligible for free dining. I was hoping Disney wouldn't offer it this year because last year around that time the crowds were awful and restaurants (as always) overcrowded. I was looking forward to a relatively quiet vacation thinking kids will have just gone back to school... bleh...

Rodders
04-09-2008, 06:29 AM
It's great that you guys can get free DDP when booking into value resorts :thumbsup: Why not us Brits :confused: We had to upgrade to moderate to get the offer

As for the questions about extending beyond the dates. In the UK it was for arrivals between the certain dates so you could go beyond the dates if your holiday was long enough :cloud9:

KarenP
04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Does anybody know for sure if after 9/20 the dining ends even if you check in before that date? Doesn't seem like anybody has gotten a clear answer yet.

You can get the free dining for your entire stay as long as you check in by 9/20 and it is available at the resort you choose.

ChesireLisa
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Question: So if I go on to the WDW site and input all of our info and come up with a price, is that what I can expect the price to be tomorrow when I book the package with free dining? Or is there some "special" package pricing with the "free" dining plan?

wendy*darling
04-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Drat! I'm probably one of the very few people who aren't happy about this - DH and I just booked a vacation for 9/7 to 9/12 with DVC so we're not eligible for free dining. I was hoping Disney wouldn't offer it this year because last year around that time the crowds were awful and restaurants (as always) overcrowded. I was looking forward to a relatively quiet vacation thinking kids will have just gone back to school... bleh...
No- you are not alone!
We are also DVC- so not eligible for "free" dining.
But I was anticipating this offer for September (for the 4th year in a row) and so we booked our stay to start on 9/26 for that very reason. There should only be a few stragglers left by then, and I hope the crowds (and restaurants) will have cleared considerably by the time we arrive. ;)

Pop Centurion
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Question: So if I go on to the WDW site and input all of our info and come up with a price, is that what I can expect the price to be tomorrow when I book the package with free dining? Or is there some "special" package pricing with the "free" dining plan?
The previous three years I got the same price as I did when I quoted days before the promotion. I don't see why it would be different now.

Pop Centurion
04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
:woohoo: Karen at MJ was able to switch over my exisiting reservation at Pop to the free dining.

WDWRox
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
So far it's not looking too well for us and the "free dining offer". My MJ rep is telling me that although we already have a reservation made (deposit down) on a woods view room at the WL for a week, that the "free dining" offer is somehow restricted this year to certain room views in the resorts. I find that strange since in years past I was able to call up long after my reservation was made and the WDW rep simply added free dining to us with no problem. I can't find any documentation online anywhere about this offer having that kind of restriction on the type of room you're staying in. I guess if needs be we'll have to see if we can get into a courtyard view room to have this offer added.

Crow
04-10-2008, 12:53 PM
i gave Karen @MJ some trouble & had her book me 4 nights Pop w free dining, cancelling my bounceback offer I had booked there for 7 nights. although i had to get a 1day pass also which i dont need now as i have AP. Ill let someone else use it or save it for a future trip.
and I hope for an AP rate in a few months so i can add on a few days to this trip.
and I have DDE so Ill use free dining for some signatures like CA Grill & FF, then use my DDE for other meals if i need. or for:beer::marg:
thanks Karen!

coloradowendyl
04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
So far it's not looking too well for us and the "free dining offer". My MJ rep is telling me that although we already have a reservation made (deposit down) on a woods view room at the WL for a week, that the "free dining" offer is somehow restricted this year to certain room views in the resorts. I find that strange since in years past I was able to call up long after my reservation was made and the WDW rep simply added free dining to us with no problem. I can't find any documentation online anywhere about this offer having that kind of restriction on the type of room you're staying in. I guess if needs be we'll have to see if we can get into a courtyard view room to have this offer added.

Each year the Free Dining promotion becomes more and more popular. That means that often certain views/locations/resorts are very limited or not available. We have been finding that preferred views in the values, views at WL and POR are very limited especially around the very beginning of the promotion (8/24), Labor Day, and the very end of the promotion (9/20).

I have had several clients that had to change views, room type,etc to get Free dining.

Hope this explaination helps!
Wendy

WDWRox
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Each year the Free Dining promotion becomes more and more popular. That means that often certain views/locations/resorts are very limited or not available. We have been finding that preferred views in the values, views at WL and POR are very limited especially around the very beginning of the promotion (8/24), Labor Day, and the very end of the promotion (9/20).

I have had several clients that had to change views, room type,etc to get Free dining.

Hope this explaination helps!
Wendy

Yes it does. Thanks to both Karen and you @MJ for all the great help you've been giving.

KarenP
04-10-2008, 02:24 PM

It is not as simple as just having an existing reservation and applying the offer, The discounts are capacity controlled and not available for every resort and/or room category for all dates.

I was online and checked availability for you before Disney Reservations even opened this morning at 7 am. Woods view rooms were just not available at all for your dates, which is why I offered you courtyard view.

GrmGrninGost
04-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Actually, we were there the second week of Sept last year and it wasn't all that hot. In fact, the day we planned on swimming, it was in the 60's bbbrrrr. We froze! Definitely not what we were expecting. In 2005, there was a hurricane stalled off the coast of Jacksonville all week and the weather was perfect! Not too hot not too cold, overcast but not much rain. Couldn't have asked for better! So, ya never know!:mickey:

sleepingbooty
04-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm confused. It says (on Intercot's front page) that packages start at $57/day for values, and $73 for moderates? Isn't that a considerable discount on the room on top of the free dining? In the past, (we've done free dining 3 times) it was always with rack rate on the room. So, shouldn't it be minimum of $82/day for values and 149/day for moderates? I actually booked with free dining on a bounce-back offer at Pop Century for 9/20-27th, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it - but if I could get a moderate for $77/night plus free dining, I'd certainly want to switch.:confused:

BMan62
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm confused. It says (on Intercot's front page) that packages start at $57/day for values, and $73 for moderates? Isn't that a considerable discount on the room on top of the free dining? In the past, (we've done free dining 3 times) it was always with rack rate on the room. So, shouldn't it be minimum of $82/day for values and 149/day for moderates? I actually booked with free dining on a bounce-back offer at Pop Century for 9/20-27th, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it - but if I could get a moderate for $77/night plus free dining, I'd certainly want to switch.:confused:

If you read the fine print on this, it says "Prices based on 2 adults, 1 junior and 1 child." This is that same way they can say that a family of 4 can spend a week at WDW for $1600.

Two people in a value room = $82/night or $41/person per night. Base Adult MYW tickets for 6 days: $217 ($36.17/day) [bought separately] = $77.17/day

2 Adults, a 13 year old and a 6 year old - 5 nights/6 days PC std. MYW base tickets: $1354.00 ($56.41/day) -- Misnomer - dividing entire package by 6 days & 4 people. More realistically, divide the package by 5 nights ($67.70/night)

4 adults: $1505.24 ($62.72/day) -- Same Misnomer - By 5 nights ($75.26/night)

Jforrest2
04-10-2008, 10:01 PM
:party: After 1.5 hours on hold we were able to get our courtyard view at the Wilderness Lodge 9/13 - 9/20!!! We saved $1000.00 on our trip...yea!!:high5:

Sunshine1010
04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
WOW...congrats!

WDWRox
04-11-2008, 06:32 AM
It is not as simple as just having an existing reservation and applying the offer, The discounts are capacity controlled and not available for every resort and/or room category for all dates.

I was online and checked availability for you before Disney Reservations even opened this morning at 7 am. Woods view rooms were just not available at all for your dates, which is why I offered you courtyard view.

In recent years, it HAD been that simple. I guess I was expecting too much for Disney to keep their offer the same. (Sigh). I wish they'd at least be more specific in the general announcements for these deals so we wouldn't have to put ourselves or our MJ reps through the hassel of cancelling and remaking reservations. But you've done a great job for us, Karen, thanks so much!

(But just to clarify.....we already HAD woods view reservations made before this deal came out. Do you mean that in order to take advantage of the deal, we'd have had to cancel our existing reservation and try to create a new woods view reservation that WOULD HAVE included free dining? If that's the case, I'd have thought Disney would save itself some hassel, and its customer some aggravation by simply applying free dining for those who already had their reservations made. I think something about that part of it just isn't sinking in.)

KarenP
04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
In recent years, it HAD been that simple. I guess I was expecting too much for Disney to keep their offer the same. (Sigh). I wish they'd at least be more specific in the general announcements for these deals so we wouldn't have to put ourselves or our MJ reps through the hassel of cancelling and remaking reservations. But you've done a great job for us, Karen, thanks so much!

(But just to clarify.....we already HAD woods view reservations made before this deal came out. Do you mean that in order to take advantage of the deal, we'd have had to cancel our existing reservation and try to create a new woods view reservation that WOULD HAVE included free dining? If that's the case, I'd have thought Disney would save itself some hassel, and its customer some aggravation by simply applying free dining for those who already had their reservations made. I think something about that part of it just isn't sinking in.)

It has always been the same with Disney as far as discounts being capacity controlled. They offer a limited number of room categories at each resort and some are not offered period. You may have just lucked out in the past in that the resort and room category you had already booked were available with the discount for your dates of travel. In this particular case Disney just did not offer free dining for woods view rooms for your dates.

And, no if the discount had been available I would not have had to cancel and rebook you with the discount. I would have just modified your existing reservations to include the discount.

I hope this clarifies everything for you!

starrmomof2
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
We had already put our deposit on a courtyard view at WL, then hoped for free dining. Debbie at MJ emailed me yesterday morning that everything had been updated with the free dining and that it was a good thing that we wanted courtyard because that was all that was available at WL for the new deal. I was a little surprised, too, because when we went a couple years ago, there wasn't as much distinction between views, or if there was, no one mentioned it to us. But, as several posters have mentioned, the program has picked up so much in popularity, that Disney was bound to begin limiting and directing visitors to traditionally lesser occupied views/options.

WDWRox
04-11-2008, 06:40 PM
It has always been the same with Disney as far as discounts being capacity controlled. They offer a limited number of room categories at each resort and some are not offered period. You may have just lucked out in the past in that the resort and room category you had already booked were available with the discount for your dates of travel. In this particular case Disney just did not offer free dining for woods view rooms for your dates.

And, no if the discount had been available I would not have had to cancel and rebook you with the discount. I would have just modified your existing reservations to include the discount.

I hope this clarifies everything for you!

Yes it does, thank you! But one other thing......is there anywhere that the common person can check to see where and what type of rooming the free dining offers are valid for? Or do you just have to call up and make your reservation and ask the Disney folks?

Tink1
04-11-2008, 07:17 PM
No, there is nowhere that the formula is listed that can be checked. If there are X amount of a room view and Y % of the X rooms are already booked prior to the release of the special and Disney is happy with that level, they will not discount it.

It does not matter if you have a room in the X view booked prior to the special. Once they reach that level for any night of your stay, it is not going to be offered.

Cleverocks had a great post that explained it as well. I will see if I can find it.

Nanc

Tink1
04-11-2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1253318#post1253318 may help

N

2Princesses4Us
04-11-2008, 10:01 PM
I used a 30% coupon that was mailed to our house a few month ago to book our September trip. I did call WDW yesterday just to double check that was the better deal... and apparently it is, so I am not eligible for free dining! Oh well.... we're still off to DW! :mickey:

DisneyDudet
04-12-2008, 01:31 AM
So is the free dining for the basic dining? How much is it if you get Deluxe?

KarenP
04-12-2008, 09:26 AM
So is the free dining for the basic dining? How much is it if you get Deluxe?

You can upgrade to deluxe for $32 a night for those ages 10 and over and $9.99 a night for children ages 3 - 9.

DisneyDudet
04-12-2008, 11:36 AM
You can upgrade to deluxe for $32 a night for those ages 10 and over and $9.99 a night for children ages 3 - 9.

I figured that you would just pay the difference. Thanks!! The deluxe is too much food and time for us! We're just excited about the free basic plan, since we've never done it before!

BIGDOG
04-13-2008, 12:18 AM
I called disney travel tonight and was told this is just a promo to get you to call. I was quoted 1813.56 for 7 nights at the carribean beach for my wife and I and our 2 yr old (who is no charge). That is over 129 per person per day? The women on phone said the offer is to get you to call and it is just a estimate.

dyin tago
04-13-2008, 12:38 AM
hmmm, debating on whether to jump in on this for year 3 in a row!

last year we went in september for a week and a half and the parks were packed!

actually they told us magic kingdom was close to capacity on a couple days we went there.

DisneyDudet
04-13-2008, 01:42 AM
I called disney travel tonight and was told this is just a promo to get you to call. I was quoted 1813.56 for 7 nights at the carribean beach for my wife and I and our 2 yr old (who is no charge). That is over 129 per person per day? The women on phone said the offer is to get you to call and it is just a estimate.

When we booked our FD for Pop for 5 days in Sept, we decided to get a Park hopper. There are three ADULTS. With the upgrade of the parkhopper, it was about $40 more per person than if we didn't.

If all three of us stayed in a standard room at a value, with the MYW base ticket, no insurance, it would be about $73 pp/day.

If you do how they have it with 2 adults, a junior, and a child for 6 days/5 nights with the base MYW, in a standard room at a value, no insurance, with tax, it is about $62 pp/day.

Anything you add on, such as a more expensive resort, view, length, party size, will change it. You have upgraded to a more expensive resort, plus have an extra day than the package in question is offering

True, it is an estimate, especially since it states "as low as", but it can be done, and can be taken as-is. I doubt it was a ploy to get you to call. They know a lot of return people will be "building" on their basic offer, but wanted to show how "cheaply" a trip with dining could be done!

And we're so excited!

applecore72
04-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks to Denise at MJ we now have free dining for our September-trip and have upgraded our resorts to POFQ (from ASM) and to a 2BR villa at OKW (instead of a 1BR villa) since the free dining saved us $! :thumbsup:

:cloud9:

LarryBoy
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
What is the minimum number of nights, and do you think there is anything left for Labor Day weekend? How crowded is it that weekend?

coloradowendyl
04-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Package promotions require a min. of three nights stay. As for availability, it will depend on the resort you are considering. With free dining, the value resorts book more quickly than the moderate and deluxe resorts.

Wendy

GoldenMickey
04-14-2008, 11:54 PM
I have never done the free dining and am wondering if you can add on and get the free dining for you entire length of stay (8 days)? Also if you can add the 'hopper' option?

GoldenMickey
04-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Is it true that the pool will be closed during the free dining time at the Caribbean?:mickey:

GoldenMickey
04-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Does the package work if you are doing connecting rooms? We have 7 in our party!

KarenP
04-15-2008, 10:57 AM
I have never done the free dining and am wondering if you can add on and get the free dining for you entire length of stay (8 days)? Also if you can add the 'hopper' option?

Dining matches the number of nights you are staying.

The pool at Caribbean Beach resort is closed for refurbishment until mid September.

For 2 rooms you would have to book 2 separate packages. Both would qualify for the free dining as long as the resort still has availability with the offer for your dates of travel.

dolphindan1
04-16-2008, 06:41 AM
I was wondering how this affects wait times for the rides. We usually go the 2nd week of Dec and are spoiled with the low crowds and wait times. September is considered a quiet time but with this free dining I wonder how it compares to early - mid December. Anyone have an idea?

coloradowendyl
04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
I have been at WDW the past two years in September during Free dining (around the week of Sept.15). Both years, the park crowds were light and rides were pretty much walk on or very short waits (with the exception of Soarin', Everest).

At one point, the crowdcs were so light in Tomorrowland, that we walked onto Buzz and were pretty much the only people on the ride. This was late one afternoon and getting close to the typical dinner hour.

Wendy

MickeyandTink
04-17-2008, 06:25 PM
We went last year for the first time as a family during free dining and although the parks were pretty crowded on the weekends, they weren't bad at all during the week (except for the biggies like Kiliminjaro Safaris and Soarin). However, the restaurants were pretty crowded.

As for price, we're thrilled that we were able to book a package (with free dining) for 8 days, 7 nights with 8 day MYW park hopper tickets for two adults, a 7 yr old and a 2 year old at POP for just over $2100 (inlcluding airfare from DFW). We had planned to wait another year or two before going back, but it was just too good a deal to pass up. :cloud9:

the other micki
04-21-2008, 02:17 PM
:confused: I'm trying to decide whether to go at the beginning of May next year or wait it out until Sept. to take advantage of possible free dining. However, I will pay for dining in order to avoid long lines for rides. I'm hearing some saying that the parks were crowded during free dining and some saying that the lines were short at that time. Could both be true? Any opinions on May vs. Sept.?

Thanks!:mickey:

FriendsofMickey
04-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I was wondering how this affects wait times for the rides. We usually go the 2nd week of Dec and are spoiled with the low crowds and wait times. September is considered a quiet time but with this free dining I wonder how it compares to early - mid December. Anyone have an idea?

We went two years ago for the free dining. When we went, I thought the crowds were a little more (mid sept vs Mid Nov and early Dec) but not much more.

The only thing that I did not like in September was the heat! I prefer the weather in Nov and Dec. However, my husband loves the heat. We are going back this year in September. We originally were going to try end of October, but moved it for the free dining. I figure the temp is not going to be that different from end of Sept to end of Oct.

Mrs Bus Driver
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Any chance free dining will be extended to late Sept, early Oct?

rumblytummy
04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Could someone explain how AP holders can use the free dining? Can we book with an AP rate and still get it? :confused:

KarenP
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Could someone explain how AP holders can use the free dining? Can we book with an AP rate and still get it? :confused:

No, you can't book the AP rate and get free dining. You can either book the free dining package with at least one day base tickets, or book a room the AP discount and add dining (which would not be free.)

Kerry823
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Can someone explain to me the "junior" classification? Is this just for dining? I have never gotten a dining plan but I have stayed on-site many times and purchased theme park tickets many times as well and you could either buy an adult ticket or a child ticket based on age. Never, ever saw anything for a junior. I am confused!

KarenP
04-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Can someone explain to me the "junior" classification? Is this just for dining? I have never gotten a dining plan but I have stayed on-site many times and purchased theme park tickets many times as well and you could either buy an adult ticket or a child ticket based on age. Never, ever saw anything for a junior. I am confused!

A junior is a child age 10 - 17. They are priced the same as an adult on both tickets and dining.

Toodle
04-27-2008, 03:21 PM
We are annual passholders and booked the free dining offer. We had to purchase a one day ticket to get the offer. But, that one day ticket does not have to be used until you are ready to use it - it does not have an expiration date. Next year, when we purchase our annual passes again, we will use the one day ticket toward the cost of our annual passes. We are going for three nights - it is costing us $70 more than booking with the AP rate to get 3 days of free dining.

Iluvpooh
04-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Just booked-September 20th-26th:thumbsup:

KayDee
05-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to share that we booked yesterday (May 1) 2 rooms at POR for Sept 18 - Oct 1 with free dining. We had originally booked at ASMu but somehow managed to convince ourselves that we really needed to go Moderate at our favorite resort. Being dragged along with us is DMom, DSister and DNiece. Our baby boy will get to turn 1 in our favorite place in the whole world and get his first hair cut too. We are soooo excited. Now about making all those free dining reservations. Ah the work now begins...

sleepingbooty
05-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Do you think their is still any availability for the week of September 20th through 27th? We are already booked, but some friends just mentioned that they want to go.

KayDee
05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Do you think their is still any availability for the week of September 20th through 27th? We are already booked, but some friends just mentioned that they want to go.

Possibly we just booked a week ago for that time. We had rooms booked at ASMu and then we decided that we really wanted to go back to POR and had no problems at all. We were totally suprised so I would give it a try. Good luck!

Donalds Duckie
06-06-2008, 06:13 AM
I have an airline ticket I must use by Dec. and I've already got my Dec. flight booked. So, I naturally think I need to go to WDW Labor Day weekend:blush: I cancelled my package for Dec. to go room only AAA (or AP rate if it's lower than AAA) buying AP voucher over park tickets if AP rate is better deal. So ....

If I go for Labor Day weekend, not sure which would be better to book: room only AP rate, room only AAA rate, or MYW + free dining:confused: What do you think?

Does anyone know anything about the DDP now available to APholders? Do AP packages with dining include AP discounts on the room along with DDP? Or, are the packages the same price as non-AP Packages without obligation to purchase park tickets?

I tried reading through the many posts here. Do I understand correctly that the free DDP doesn't apply to AP packages?:confused:

I'm trying to crunch the numbers and see if I can fit a Labor Day weekend trip into my budget.

Thanks in advance for your help.

kellyisbusy
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
With the new AP room rates I found that there is over $1000 difference from the reservation I currently have with free dining in the same type room. Since the dining plan does not include appetizers or gratuity any longer it is not worth it and I am going to change my reservation to just a straight room rate, we will probably come out better anyway and won't be tied down to dining schedules.