PDA

View Full Version : AKLV Models @ SSR

Ed
04-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Has anyone else checked out the model rooms for the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas that are set up in the Theater at Saratoga Springs? We did a few days ago. My jaw literally dropped when we walked in. They are gorgeous!

The samples are set up as a studio connected to a 1BR, thus creating a 2BR.

The studio is pretty much a standard studio with one bed and a fold-down sofabed, a kitchenette and a nice bathroom. Major difference is the large LG flat panel TV.

The 1BR has a full bath right near the entrance. The kitchen has a smooth-top stove, full size refrigerator and dishwasher and lots of counter space. Nearby is a very rustic-looking "D" shaped dining table with banquette seating against the wall and two free standing chairs. Living room has a fold-down sofabed and an oversized chair that converts to a fold-down bed. Another large LG flat panel TV faces the sofa.

The master BR has a king sized bed that faces yet another large LG flat panel TV. Attached is the master bath, which has a large Jacuzzi-type bathtub (standard shape, unlike those found in many other resorts) that backs up to a very large glass enclosed shower. Across from there is a large vanity sink. And the toilet has its own enclosed area.

While the furnishings and accessories are fairly dark in keeping with an African theme, we didn't find them 'depressing' and they didn't seem to make the space look smaller like some other resorts.

The way these units are combined to make up a 2BR, you end up with sleeping space for 9 people, and 3 full bathrooms.

The models are only open from 5pm to 7pm daily at the Theater, right around the corner from the DVC Preview Center. The lobby of the building also contains a lot of artist's renditions of what the overall AKLV resort will look like when completed.

locodemickey
04-07-2008, 09:27 AM
We saw them last summer and I concur, they were fantastic! We will be staying there this summer for 19 nights and can't wait!!:cloud9:

Maleficent's Dad
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the preview Ed. :thumbsup:
It sounds like DVC is really trying hard with the AKLV. I'll get there someday... hard to drag me away from the BW!!!

We will be staying there this summer for 19 nights and can't wait!!:cloud9:
:jaw:
19 nights!!! I'm jealous!!! (In a good way of course!) I tell people that I'm going for nine nights in the summer and they can't believe it!

Last year, DW ran into a retired couple at OKW who spend the entire month of January there!! (At least that's what they told her.) That's some load of points!

Kidsmom
04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
That's why we bought!!

We were mildly interested in DVC when we went to disney last time and went for the tour. We thought SSR was nice, but we live 20 minutes from Saratoga Springs, NY! It just seemed like renting a typical condo.

When we saw the AK model, we fell in love with it. So different, beautiful, not my home decor, but something special for vacation. And the idea that the kids will see animals all day....priceless...well not really ;)

Our first trip there is in 2 days and we can't wait!!! Eight nights with our four kids. My parents fly down for the last 3 nights to stay with us. (the last night is our date night!!)

Can't wait!!!

locodemickey
04-07-2008, 05:13 PM
We couldn't do 19 nights every year (yet:blush:). We had to borrow from the next year. Last summer we went down 3 times for a total of 22 nights because I wanted to save on weekend points. I don't think I'll ever do that again.:( It was a pain getting down there from Michigan 3 times, so this summer I just decided to bite the bullet on the weekend points (and might I say, ouch on those points:ill:)

KineGirl
04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Thats so great to hear! We too are staying there this summer (2 BR L/O) and I had been asking if anyone had seen these villas. We stayed at AKL 2 years ago and I cant tell you how much I enjoyed the rooms even though Ive become (spoiled) accustomed to the much larger villas available elesewhere on property. I wondered if the AKL villas were going to be comparable in feel to the rooms and yet still have the deluxe feeling other villas have. I had seen the pics online and they looked great but I couldnt get a feel for them. Thanks for all the details!!!

Horizon93
04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
The models sold us on AKV. We saw them last summer on our tour and they sealed the deal.

The models are of the Kidani Village accommodations, though. The Jambo House accommodations are a little different. The theming is the same, but the villas had to be built within the existing framework of AKL. For example, the 1 br in Jambo only has one full bath. But the rooms are still beautiful.