PDA

View Full Version : Which Resort

reeders4
04-06-2008, 09:42 PM
We are planning onn visiting in September of 08 and I am considering staying at either POFQ,or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Which resort do you suggest and why?

Quasimodo
04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
The biggest difference in the two is that POFQ is a moderate resort and AKL is a deluxe resort. Which means AKL is more expensive per night, but has many more amenities than POFQ. The biggest amenity is the African savannah with live animals that you can view from your room (if you book a savannah view room). There are two table service restaurants at AKL. There are none at POFQ (although there is one at POR that you can walk to). AKL has a concierge level (POFQ does not). Concierge level rooms are more expensive, but the level provides a lounge and many other special amenities including snacks and the option to participate in the Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure. See here: http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/sunrisesafari.asp

Now, POFQ does have some benefits of its own. The cost is a lot less per night compared to a deluxe resort like AKL. It is centrally located on WDW property, so travel time to and from any of the theme parks is relatively short. It is also a small resort, which means less crowd in the food courts and on the buses. Its quiet and a little romantic even.

We have stayed at POFQ many times, but never at AKL. Mainly because of its location and our lack of fondness for African decor. Its located near AK, but its far from MK and EPCOT. When we splurge on a deluxe resort, we want convenience in getting to and from a particular park. Primarily so we can retreat to our room during the hot afternoon or quickly when its late at night and we are tired. So we either stay at a monorail resort like the Poly or at the Beach Club that is walking distance to EPCOT.

As for my recommendation, given the two to choose between, I would pick AKL. Simply because of the amenities. I would pick any deluxe resort over a moderate any day. The only reason we stay at moderate and value resorts is the cost. If we are planning on being out of our room most of our trip, we will choose a moderate and sometimes a value. If we want to stay in our room more (like during hot afternoons) we will stay at a deluxe.

My suggestion is to look at the links below and decide which you like better. But I will say this, if you have the money to spend on a deluxe resort, do it. The experience you have at a deluxe will usually be much nicer than that of a moderate.

You can find more info on AKL here: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/aklodge/default.asp

More info on POFQ here: http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/frenchquarter/default.asp

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2008, 04:34 PM
That depends. I like Animal Kingdom Lodge's ambience more than Port Orleans French Quarter, but I like the location of POFQ better. Not only is it quicker by bus to to get to the parks, but you have the option of taking a relaxing boat ride to Downtown Disney.

playdead88
04-08-2008, 05:51 AM
AK is a deluxe so i would pick AK :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
it depends on what you want to spend on a room?? We're in our room a minimal amount of time so a mod is perfect for us....plus the POR's have a definate "feel" of a deluxe without the deluxe cost....either choice is going to be great, you'll be at Disney....:mickey:

doodleboy
04-08-2008, 09:11 AM
This may sound crazy to you, but we usually go for 10 nights and have stayed at more than one resort for our duration. In fact we usually started with POFQ and then moved on to a deluxe like AKL, Contemporary, or BC. It saved us some money and we really enjoyed POFQ for many reasons. In fact, when we purchased our BCV DVC one of the things we talked about was not staying at POFQ for future visits. I am sure that we will be visiting there again for a second annual trip sometime, because some years one trip just isn't enough.

Tygger7
04-08-2008, 09:29 AM
The biggest difference in the two is that POFQ is a moderate resort and AKL is a deluxe resort. Which means AKL is more expensive per night, but has many more amenities than POFQ.

Now, POFQ does have some benefits of its own. The cost is a lot less per night compared to a deluxe resort like AKL.

We have stayed at POFQ many times, but never at AKL. Mainly because of its location and our lack of fondness for African decor. Its located near AK, but its far from MK and EPCOT. When we splurge on a deluxe resort, we want convenience in getting to and from a particular park.

As for my recommendation, given the two to choose between, I would pick AKL. Simply because of the amenities. I would pick any deluxe resort over a moderate any day. The only reason we stay at moderate and value resorts is the cost.

But I will say this, if you have the money to spend on a deluxe resort, do it. The experience you have at a deluxe will usually be much nicer than that of a moderate.

I'm right there with you on your comments about POFQ and AKL. It would be a really tough choice for me, if I were limited to these two. I'm not big on the whole African theme of AKL, and I don't like the idea of paying a deluxe price for a resort that's so far away from MK and Epcot.

Then again, I've stayed at POFQ before and didn't like it at all. Transportation was terrible, and because it's a smaller, more compact resort, it was always wall to wall people.

If I had to choose though, I would choose POFQ strictly based on cost, since it's cheaper.

Personally, I'd recommend WL. It's the same price structure as AKL, and very close to MK. For us, it's perfect....location is awesome, and we love the whole atmosphere of the hotel.

Check out Info Central here on Intercot and you can get a ton of info about all the resorts. Then, you can find something that will work best for your family. :mickey:

Sinewiz
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
I have stayed at both and if money is not a huge consideration I definitley would choose the Animal Kingdom. That said, if the money difference is a hardship for you then POFQ is a great alternative. The Animal Kingdom while further from everything, therefore taking a little longer to get to the parks, is somewhat balanced out by the fact that it doesn't share buses with any other resorts. While the POFQ has very nice theming, it pales in comparison to the immersiveness that you get at the Animal Kingdom. Both resorts have one pool though the Animal Kingdoms is much larger. The biggest difference "at least for me" is the quality of the restaurants. The AKL winds hands down. In a nutshell, if the price is a huge consideration for you go with POFQ. Guarantee you'll have a wonderful time at either resort. ;)

I believe
04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
We stayed at AKL in Feb. It was nice, but we did not "looove" it like I thought we would. It was our first time to stay in a delux, so I was really excited about it. The animals were fun and made the hotel feel special, but that was about it.
I can't really put into words what was dissapointing about AKL, I think it was simply the fact that I was expecting a "Wow" feeling and did not get one. Even though the delux rooms are slightly larger, it did not feel any bigger than a moderate. The pool did not seem any better than the pools at the moderates either. In fact our children like CB's pool much better.
I feel bad saying negative things about AKL, because it was nice and the cast members were great. I just honestly don't think it is worth the extra money. We are happiest staying at the mods. I'm not sure I could be convinced to go back up to a delux. We don't spend much time in our room, so why pay more for it?
I am sure I am a minority in this conversation,but hopefully this will help with objectivity in your decision.
By the way we are thinking of trying PORFQ this Jan, so if that is where you decide to go, you can help us with our decision:mickey:

GrmGrninGost
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
I love Port Orleans, but I would have to go with the deluxe if money is not a major factor! :mickey:

cheshirekitty
04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
We have stayed at both and they are both nice. If this is your first visit to Disney then I would choose AKL and max out all the way - the magic is always there but not quite the same as the first stay at a Disney resort and AKL will just add the extra wow. If this is not your first visit/stay at Disney then would stay at POFQ, it is a very charming resort and if you have stayed at a value resort before then you will be thrilled. Another factor is whether or not you will use the pool. If so then AKL wins agains. If you will not use the pool but will just use the room to crash in then would save the $ for shopping and stay at POFQ. SInce it really comes down to personal taste and needs the best advice I can give you is gather the family/other travelers around the computer and pull up the images on this board and the "virtual" tour on the Disney website and see which suits everyone's taste best. Good luck and do I even need to say it....Have a wonderful time at Disney :mickey: