PDA

View Full Version : Florida Discount

dvcdonald1970
04-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Why does a resident from Florida get a discount to go? When I travel to Florida I purchase a plane ticket, deluxe accommodations usually at Contemporary, food in the parks and many souvenirs. Does someone that has a Florida residence do less in the parks than I do? I personally think that I am a better customer. Giving discounts only loads up the parks with people that don't value the experience as much I do and may not be there if they weren't given a discount.

FlaTinkRAMESAM
04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I don't think it's really fair to say that we don't "value the experience" as much as you do. I take my 3 year old daughter and every time we go I am making wonderful memories with her. I'd have a pass with or without a discounted price and I'd stay on site just as I do now. I think it's nice that Disney gives us a discount. I'm sorry though, that I am crowding up the parks...

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Having lived in Florida and gone to Disney World using the seasonal pass (and discounts on lodging), I can assure you that I very much valued the experience, just as much as I do now that I live out-of-state. When you're a "local", you do have the advantage of being able to go to the parks whenever you want to. But we almost always chose to go during the less busy times (as much as they exist these days) and I'm sure that's what Disney is counting on in issuing discounts on certain tickets to Florida residents. They help keep the crowds steady during the "off" season and therefore keep profits up. Disney knows that it makes sense to be a good neighbor to their Florida residents and many Floridians are very loyal fans because of it.

Don't other attractions around the country offer discounts to their state or local residents for the same reasons? Personally, I don't have a problem with that. :shrug:

sagitarius
04-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Are you being serious or is this a joke?:confused:
The reason for the discounts is to entice us to come as often as possible since we live here. So instead of going to Universal or Sea World etc., we'll spend our money with them. Get it?

thrillme
04-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Oddly enough other states don't really offer those kind of discounts but...I guess when you're living in the state you know locally of where you can buy cheaper tickets or get discount coupons.

It bugs me only because I'm JEALOUS. There...I said it. I'm JEALOUS!:thedolls:

I know around here there are a ton of people that get really excited about visiting the Alamo and the Riverwalk. I can't remeber the last time I went (although I AM planning to get married there soon). Even really fun stuff that's just about 30-40 minutes away like Schlitterbahn (the BIG one)...We just don't go. I'd love too but there just doesn't seem to be the time.

It may be like "dvcdonald1970" said. Giving discounts just helps keep up the flow during the "off season" times.

JoDisney
04-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I must say, I make more trips, use deluxe and moderate resorts mostly (and never forget POP on the short trip occasion), always use table service, and always spend and enjoy immensely. I think Disney appreciates me as a good customer! Oh and I'm not judgmental!

Pirate & Princess Mom
04-06-2008, 02:52 PM
I have to agree with the previous post.
Being a Florida Resident doesn't always have alot of perks (ie - hurricanes, high homeowners insurance and only 2 seasons hot and hotter). However, a discount at Disney World makes it all worth while. :mickey:

And by the way....I thought it was the non-Florida residents that crowded the parks?????

mac badger
04-07-2008, 10:24 AM
gee, i didn't know there was some magical way for the OP to know just who is valuing their experience and who is not.
disney doesn't make their real money on admission tickets, they make it on food, drink and souveniers. so if they can get a person to come multiple times a year, they more than make up for the discount on tickets with what the florida resident spends on food and drink. it's just a way to make money. and ive never heard someone complain before that it's the florida residents that are crowding up the attractions

TheRustyScupper
04-07-2008, 11:22 AM
1) Disney is in our backyard, and we can be complacent about it.
2) A good discount gives us incentive to go to WDW.
3) Since we get a discount, we try to pick less busy times.
4) So, Disney gets visitors in slower times it would not normally see.
5) Thus, it is variable profit for Disney.
6) Not a bad deal for WDW, and for us. Win-win.

floridamom
04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree with all of the responses to the OP. To that, I would add that each time my family drives to WDW and stays on-site, we subsidize the cost of Magical Express for all those (non- Florida residents) who use it. :mickey:

floridamom
04-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh, by the way, welcome to Intercot. :mickey:

just2mickey
04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Being a Florida Resident doesn't always have alot of perks (ie - hurricanes, high homeowners insurance and only 2 seasons hot and hotter). However, a discount at Disney World makes it all worth while. :mickey:

And by the way....I thought it was the non-Florida residents that crowded the parks?????

Try living in Louisiana where every politician is in the news in a negative way. We have hurricanes, high homeowners and share the same two seasons and we get NOTHING. Yes, I do crowd Walt's park and I will continue to do so as many times as I can. I can't imagine the park making it on Florida residents alone.

LauraleeH
04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
As a Florida resident, I think I spend just as much as anyone else, if not more! Because I'm so close, I don't have to plan a trip once a year. I can go about 7 or 8 weekends a year and stay at deluxe villas. Still have to eat and pay for eveything. It all equals out in the end ;)

mickeys_princess_mom
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, just2mickey, we do "get" something over here....We "get" on a :plane: and head over to Florida:mickey:....And we "get" real happy just thinking about it....I know you and I are "getting" a headache trying to figure out how we can live there, right? Personally, I don't begrudge the residents a discount at all-- I just want to "get" us one, too! Hopefully a few people will "get" a little more "welcome" in their wagons...

just2mickey
04-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Well, just2mickey, we do "get" something over here....We "get" on a :plane: and head over to Florida:mickey:....And we "get" real happy just thinking about it....I know you and I are "getting" a headache trying to figure out how we can live there, right? Personally, I don't begrudge the residents a discount at all-- I just want to "get" us one, too! Hopefully a few people will "get" a little more "welcome" in their wagons...

True very true. I agree with ThrillMe's post. I too have the green eyed monster on my back. I am VERY JEALOUS. Now that I think about, I do GET something. I get a discount pass to the zoo but not because I am a resident......because I am an educator. I don't think that counts. If we did have a WDW in Louisiana.....I'd be stomping mad if we didn't get a discount too.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
True very true. I agree with ThrillMe's post. I too have the green eyed monster on my back. I am VERY JEALOUS. Now that I think about, I do GET something. I get a discount pass to the zoo but not because I am a resident......because I am an educator. I don't think that counts. If we did have a WDW in Louisiana.....I'd be stomping mad if we didn't get a discount too.
I actually heard a rumor Sunday that a bunch of land was purchased near us to build a Disney park...Don't really believe it, but wouldn't that be something? While I would TOTALLY be there lots, I would still have to keep flying to Florida, anyway. My heart is there at the Magic.