PDA

View Full Version : Child with special needs (bringing bigger stroller) ok for busses, boat?

Mom2Boys
04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I put this on the theme park section. Then I saw this for special needs. I thought I would post here too. Thanks for any advice.

We are going May 5th for a week with my 6 and 3 year old. My 6 year old is the same size as my 3 year old but a bit taller. He had a stroke at birth and has right side weakness. So he can walk but he is slower, gets tired and is on meds for seizures. OK, to my question..Umbrella stroller types won't fit him anymore. His legs hang out to the wheels. He will sleep due to meds. and everything going on at Disney. So it has to recline. The rent ones are $$ and uncomfortable so I found a stroller that does kind of fit him. But you guessed it is going to be more bulky when folded. It is easy one hand fold, so we can fold it fast. It is not light, but not sooo heavy I can't lift it. Will it be OK to take on the WL boat, busses or the Monorail ? I am having visions of us not getting on busses due to a stroller system vs. umbrella stroller. Plus my 3 year old will have the same one. That is two big strollers, we will have 4 adults (me, dad, grandparents) to help.
Thanks!

merlinmagic4
04-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I think if you can handle the stroller then you are all set. As far as I know, there is no size restriction on strollers :) I've seen some pretty big ones!

Mom2Boys
04-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Thank You! I went to look up strollers at Disney on the Internet and it all says rent one or take umbrella strollers. Make sure it folds up and is tiny. I thought oh no here we come with our bulky strollers. Plus Cameron is 6 so I didn't want to get any "big stroller" and he is "old" enough to walk looks. But it seems we will not be the only Disney vacationers with strollers. Here we come :mickey:!
Thanks Again,
Paige

merlinmagic4
04-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I would also suggest seeing if you can use the stroller as a "wheelchair" and take it through the wheelchair accessible lines with you. You would need to see Guest Relations at your first park and they may issue you a Guest Assistance Pass. That way if he was sleeping or really tired and there was a ride everyone wanted to go on, he could stay in the stroller.

Have a great trip!

Hayden's Dad
04-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I think if you can fold it up you shouldn't have any issues just keep it in mind with a full bus you will probably be a little squished, but I guarantee you will have othe parents with large strollers as well.

I would also suggest seeing if you can use the stroller as a "wheelchair" and take it through the wheelchair accessible lines with you.

This is a good idea just make sure you have a letter from a doctor since you are using a real stroller, and don't be surprised if you get some flack from the bus drivers. Especially if it can fold up. Ours doesn't and we still had a couple of issues. It may be easier to have him walk onto the busses, but it is a good idea for the rides.

Have fun!!

alaMode
04-07-2008, 01:23 PM
We have very similar issues with our son, who is 8. My son has hemiplegia (CP), and a seizure disorder. He just had orthopedic surgery and has even more stamina issues right now, although he's getting stronger everyday!

We brought a note from our Dr. explaining his stamina issues and that he needed to use his (foldable) special needs stroller as a wheelchair.

We took it to guest relations at MK and got a red sticker that simply stated "stroller=wheelchair" that was placed in a visible spot on the stroller. Our CM, Yuko, never asked to see the note--we just explained the situation and she suggested using the sticker.

My son was able to remain in his stroller on all transportation, on every ride until he transferred, at every show, etc. We never had an issue--not with rides, busses, boats, restaurants, not once! We even used it at Blizzard Beach to switch from our stroller to a water wheelchair to ride the chairlift gondola up to Teamboat Springs, which my son loved! My son would have never been able to walk up all those stairs!

At MK we also received a Guest Assistance Card, which we only had to show at MK. At every other park, the "stroller=wheelchair" was enough.

Best of all, we never received any flack from anyone. Everyone was absolutely wonderful to my son and my whole family!

Get the bigger stroller and get a note from your son's doctor. It will make his trip so much more enjoyable for him and you! He will be able to do all that he wants to do--and that's what accessibility is all about, right?

Tess

chick20679
05-30-2008, 10:38 AM
We have very similar issues with our son, who is 8. My son has hemiplegia (CP), and a seizure disorder. He just had orthopedic surgery and has even more stamina issues right now, although he's getting stronger everyday!

We brought a note from our Dr. explaining his stamina issues and that he needed to use his (foldable) special needs stroller as a wheelchair.

We took it to guest relations at MK and got a red sticker that simply stated "stroller=wheelchair" that was placed in a visible spot on the stroller. Our CM, Yuko, never asked to see the note--we just explained the situation and she suggested using the sticker.

My son was able to remain in his stroller on all transportation, on every ride until he transferred, at every show, etc. We never had an issue--not with rides, busses, boats, restaurants, not once! We even used it at Blizzard Beach to switch from our stroller to a water wheelchair to ride the chairlift gondola up to Teamboat Springs, which my son loved! My son would have never been able to walk up all those stairs!

At MK we also received a Guest Assistance Card, which we only had to show at MK. At every other park, the "stroller=wheelchair" was enough.

Best of all, we never received any flack from anyone. Everyone was absolutely wonderful to my son and my whole family!

Get the bigger stroller and get a note from your son's doctor. It will make his trip so much more enjoyable for him and you! He will be able to do all that he wants to do--and that's what accessibility is all about, right?

Tess

Are the 'stroller=wheelchair' stickers available only at park guest relations, or at the resorts as well? We will be utilizing a stroller-STYLE wheelchair in December, and I am concerned about being able to keep DSS in it (if necessary) on the buses.
I guess we will probably be OK until we got to a park on our first day, but wondered if we could get one before our first bus ride.
Thanks in advance! :mickey:

DawsonAR
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
When I was there in January, I spoke with the Manager of transportation. We were discussing wheelchairs and bus transportation. I had an issue with a bus driver and my daughter who is in a wheelchair. During the discussion the issue of people using strollers as wheelchairs came up. He said there is an issue of using a stroller as a wheelchair on the buses due to them not being built to handle being strapped in. This is a safety issue and he said Disney isn't sure if they will be able to continue to allow people to use strollers as wheelchairs on bus transportation.

This won't affect the use of storollers as wheelchairs in any other areas.

We were there again in April and I'm not sure if they have changed their policy yet or not. We didn't see anyone use a stroller as a wheelchair on the buses.

thejens
05-31-2008, 11:40 PM
We are just returning from a trip where my mom needed to use her scooter as much as possible. Everyone was amazingly helpful. I would think that if you needed to the bus should be able to allow you to wheel him into the bus and then transfer him to a seat and then you could fold it. I can see how it would not be safe for him to ride in the stroller on the bus. Frankly I wasn't sure if my Mom was safe to ride in her scooter.

alaMode
06-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Hi!
I would call WDW guest relations regarding where to get the "stroller=wheeler" sticker.
We took the monorail to MK and then got the sticker, so I'm not sure...
I would think though, if you are using a stroller-type wheelchair you can just explain it to the bus driver. You can even show your doctor's note. (my son's note said "my patient ______ has limited mobility due to cp and recent orthopedic surgery. Please assist him in any way you can.") When you get to the park, get the sticker.
In my experience, EVERYONE at WDW has always been more than helpful when it comes to my son's needs. Just ask for help--it will be given!
I hope your family has a great trip!
Tess

Kairi_7378
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
There are no size limits on the strollers that can be used at Disney. I've seen people bringing their own umbrella strollers and other people pushing what looks like the equivalent of a baby SUV. As long as you can lift it, you will be fine, especially if your son can sit in a regular seat on the bus. It sounds like you'll need the stroller more in parks, for lines, walking, etc.

The other folks have given some great advice about having strollers cleared for use in the parks.

Hayden's Dad
06-09-2008, 10:48 AM
During the discussion the issue of people using strollers as wheelchairs came up. He said there is an issue of using a stroller as a wheelchair on the buses due to them not being built to handle being strapped in. This is a safety issue and he said Disney isn't sure if they will be able to continue to allow people to use strollers as wheelchairs on bus transportation.

I think it would be a serious problem if Disney did away with this policy. Children who are usuing their strollers as wheelchairs aren't doing it to be difficult it is because it is a physical need, hence wheelchair. I understand that it can be difficult to strap a stroller down fortunately my son's is made of metal, but they need to work out a different system that would work with strollers that have to be strapped down.

DawsonAR
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
It is actually a safety issue. Most strollers (not wheelchairs) aren't built to handle the impact of a crash. The location where the straps would be placed aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the chair and the child at a mid-speed crash.

Hayden's Dad
06-10-2008, 08:47 AM
It is actually a safety issue. Most strollers (not wheelchairs) aren't built to handle the impact of a crash. The location where the straps would be placed aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the chair and the child at a mid-speed crash.

I agree, but it can't be any worse than a parent standing or sitting while the bus is in motion holding an infant or small child. They need to devise an alternative, I don't know what, so that children that have no other choice but to use their strollers as wheelchairs can be securely strapped down.

Dreamer14
06-25-2008, 03:23 AM
I work in monorails and I have seen extremely large strollers. I tell people that that if they can fit it, then go for it. The cars are all designed to accommodate large items such as wheel chairs and strollers. If you can't get on a monorail due to crowds then just stand back and we will get you on the next one, they come ever 3 minutes.

Tippy
08-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi - I have a child with special needs. If you are looking for a stroller that folds but can fit a larger child try the Maclaren Volo. It is their form of an umbella stroller. You can find them on line rather inexpensive if you purchase last years colors. My daugther is 7 at 57 lbs and comfortablly fits in this stroller. I removed the straps since she does not need it. It folds down easily and the handles are higher up so you save on back pain. We used this stroller for our girls on our last trip in April. Much nicer than the regular umbrella strollers due to the handle height. -Tippy

ElenitaB
08-17-2008, 07:28 PM
We Frankly I wasn't sure if my Mom was safe to ride in her scooter.
Not to hijack this thread, but I'd like to clarify this question vis a vis ECVs. You are advised by all the rental companies NOT to ride in the scooter when on another form of transportation as it is not safe.