PDA

View Full Version : Prayers and Pixie Dust, Please!

handmaidenofprincesses
04-06-2008, 10:12 AM
For those of you who are unaware, my 6 year old niece Faith was admitted to the local children's hospital at the beginning of March after a week of bloody diaherrea. Two weeks ago, she was had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy, and it was determined that she has ulcerative colitis.

According to the doctor, ninety percent of kids with the disease respond immediately to steroids; Faith didn't. Then they put her on something called remicaid, which supposedly "zaps" the disease very qucikly. It seemed to be working for a little while, but they've concluded that it's not effective enough fo her. As such, she will be having surgery tomorrow morning, to remove (I believe) her colon and parts of her rectum and large intestine. She will have an ostomy bag for three months after which she will, hopefully, have the surgery reversed.

I just want them to make her better. She's been on IV nutrition now for almost a month and a half; she's lost fifteen pounds in two weeks. Her clothes are falling off of her, and the poor thing is miserable. She gets no sleep because she's constantly in pain, she's too weak to get out of bed for more than an hour or two, on a really good day. Last weekend she had a nasty bout of pancreatitis that put her through even more pain...

It's absolutely killing us to watch her go through this, especially because there's really nothing we can do to help her.

Please, any and all prayers and pixie dust that you could send our way would be more than appreciated!!!

April 7th, 2008 4:07 pm:

Sonja (Faith's mom) just called me to let me know that Faith was out of surgery and that everything seems to have gone well. She's not awake yet, but I will update you further when I find out more. Thanks again for your prayers, we appreciate it!!

merlinmagic4
04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm so sorry about your niece. It is so hard to feel helpless like that. :pixie: for your niece and her family, too.

disneydeb
04-06-2008, 10:29 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: :hug:
Major Pixie Dust and Hugs for your niece.

I hope she is better soon!

buzznwoodysmom
04-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Sending tons of :pixie::pixie::pixie: her way. I've had ulcerative colitis for over 8 years now and I know that it is not fun. I've been very fortunate that treatments worked for me and in those 8 years I've only had two bouts of the disease. I hope that they can nip this in the bud for her and she can get healthy again. I'll keep her in my prayers for a full and speedy recovery.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
04-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I am so sorry your niece is going through this. Many, many good thoughts and wishes coming her way!!

I hope she is on the road to recovery soon!!

:pixie:

pdrlkr
04-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Lots of :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

offwego
04-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Lots of pixie dust on it's way that the suregery works and she feels better really really soon!

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

RedSoxFan
04-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your niece. I hope she is feeling better soon. Best wishes to her this week.

Ms.Disney
04-06-2008, 01:59 PM
How very sad. I hope this everything goes well, keep us updated. Wishing her a speedy recovery :pixie:

Rosanne
04-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I just read your post and my heart stopped. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis a few years ago and it has been difficult to say the least. I can't imagine what it must be like for a child.

I know you have already tried remicade. I know this isn't popular among gastroenterologists, but have you considered the Specific Carbohydrate diet? I am about to start it next month (obviously not as extreme of a case as your niece) but it has to be better than surgery.

Good luck, and if you need to talk please feel free to PM me.

crazypoohbear
04-06-2008, 05:45 PM
:hug::hug::hug::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:
How awful for such a little girl. You all must be so stressed watching over her. I pray that her sugery goes well and that she is out of pain soon. It is truely heartbreaking to watch a child suffer like this. Please keep us posted on her progress.

mrsgaribaldi
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm so sorry that she has to go through this. Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way for her speedy recovery.

daparish
04-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I am so sorry for your niece and your entire family. I can't imagine what you are all going through. I don't have kids of my own but I do have nieces that I love with all my heart and can't imagine having to watch one of them in pain. Your post really touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes. I will keep your niece and your entire family in my prayers. I pray that the surgery will be a success and the pain will be diminished. :angel:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Prayers & pixie dust for a sucessful surgery for this poor little girl. I hope she is well and pain free soon.:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:

alphamommy
04-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Tons of prayers and pixie dust :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: for your niece and the entire family.

Please keep us posted...
Tammy

TXTigger
04-07-2008, 02:47 PM
My heart goes out to you, your niece, and your family. Lots of prayers and :pixie: for a successful surgery and quick recovery.

handmaidenofprincesses
04-08-2008, 07:58 PM
i know you all wanted me to keep you updated, but i don't know how to change my title to "updated" so i'm just hoping you'll all see it here...

faith came through surgery fine yesterday and the doctors are optomistic about her recovery. she had a lousy day today though- she's in a lot of pain and was really tired...

her parents said to thank you all for your prayers...

disneydeb
04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Thank you for the update. I pray she is given strength and that her pain may be not as severe.

Jeff G
04-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I missed this post originally but wanted to let you know Faith, along with your entire family, are in our prayers as she recovers from the surgery.

:pixie::pixie::pixie:

RenDuran
04-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Sending :pixie: your way!

DisneyDudet
04-09-2008, 09:58 AM
I am just now learning about this. I am so sorry that this is happening to such a young heart! Those belly bugs and problems are not forgiving at all!

Lets hope that after a while, the resection w/ ostomy can be reversed. I also pray for her pain, that it can be controlled, and she will be able to start playing around soon!

Keep us updated.

wdwgrl377
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I am keeping your niece in my prayers. I suffer with Crohn's similar to UC and I struggle a lot!! I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for a younger child to go through all that. I can so relate to the surgeries, remicade, etc. I've been on it all including steroids.

I will be lifting her up in my prayers for God to bring comfort, strength and healing to her body!

Many hugs! :hug: :angel:

DisneyDog
04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I am so sorry to hear about someone so young going through this. One of my relatives has Crohn's disease and recently had his colon removed. He has to use a colostomy bad for the rest of his life. However, he now feels better than he has in years. He finally gets to eat whatever foods he wants, and now that it's spring, he's looking forward to getting back into long-distance bike riding. However, this relative is an adult, and a surgeon at that, so he understood everything that was going on, and what could possibly happen. So, my heart really goes out to this little girl, who at only 6 years old must not completely comprehend what she is going through. She must be very brave.

handmaidenofprincesses
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I haven't gotten to see her yet, but Faith's mom told me that she was doing better today. Not nearly as much pain, she even sat up in a chair for an hour. I'm going to go see her tomorrow after class.. I just hope they can release her soon.

thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

ElenitaB
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
:pixie: for Faith and many prayers as well.

handmaidenofprincesses
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey everybody!

I'm sitting here with Faith in the hospital and although she's being shy and doesn't want to leave you a note herself, I thought we should let you know how she's doing!

She's read all of your notes and was very impressed with all the pixie dust. She's doing better today; she was up and walking around and sitting in a chair for a while. She's a little tired right now, but all in all she's doing pretty good.

Thanks again for all of the prayers!!

<3 robin

weswerx
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Sorry I'm a few days late reading your message, but still sending lots of prayers & :pixie: to your niece and family.

wdwgrl377
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I am so glad to hear she is doing well and up and walking! She has been, in my prayers, since I read this post. I am continuing to pray for her and for strength to come back to her body from head to toe!

I don't want to take away from the spotlight, but I can so relate to what she's going through. It's got to be tough for a younger child to deal with all that! I pray for angels to come and just bring peace and rest to her body as she is recovering!
And for you and the entire family too!! :angel:

Pixie dust for a speedy recovery!! :pixie::pixie:

handmaidenofprincesses
04-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that Faith is still doing well. She's in a lot of pain, but she's looking so much better!

Our little princess has certainly been getting the royal treatment: some of the players from our state hockey team, the Hartford Wolfpack, came to visit her. She was also given a larger-than-life Pongo stuffed animal (It's probably 3 feet tall sitting down), and she's made very good friends with Valentine, a clown who comes every week.

Thanks again for all of your prayers and support. Please keep them coming! She's still got a long road ahead of her, and I'm certain that all of your prayers and pixie dust have helped her tremendously so far!

KineGirl
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Its so hard to see little ones suffer! Our prayers and thoughts are with your niece and family. Give her a big big big hug from all of us!

handmaidenofprincesses
04-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that Faith was released yesterday! She's so happy to be home! She's still struggling with the ostomy bag a little bit, but the visiting nurse will be by today to help out.

Thanks again for all of your prayers!!

::happy dance::

RedSoxFan
04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
So happy to hear that Faith is home. More prayers that she continues to do well.