PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Strollers...Is mine TOO big to bring?

Mom2Boys
04-06-2008, 10:05 AM
We are going May 5th for a week with my 6 and 3 year old. My 6 year old is the same size as my 3 year old but a bit taller. He had a stroke at birth and has right side weakness. So he can walk but he is slower, gets tired and is on meds for seizures. OK, to my question..Umbrella stroller types won't fit him anymore. His legs hang out to the wheels. He will sleep due to meds and everything going on at Disney. So it has to recline. I found a stroller that does kind of fit him. But you guessed it is going to be more bulky when folded. It is easy one hand fold, so we can fold it fast. It is not light, but not sooo heavy I can't lift it. Will it be OK to take on the WL boat, busses, Monorail ? I am having visions of us not getting on busses due to a stroller system vs. umbrella stroller. :confused:
Thanks!
Paige

TheRustyScupper
04-06-2008, 12:16 PM
1) Your stroller might cause YOU problems, not WDW.
2) For trams, buses, some boats, you must fold the stroller to board.
3) This might be difficult for your stroller size.
4) Other than folding, size doesn't matter at WDW.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
We had a Graco duo glider for last years trip... and it was fine. It was huge and bulky, even when folded up ... and we just dealt with it... So dont worry! Just have fun with your kids!!

#1donaldfan
04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
You wont have any problems....the CM's running the various transit systems are well versed in what it is that you will need....they are there for you...

....don't worry a thing about it, enjoy the rest of your planning and enjoy looking forward to your visit.....:mickey:

wdw_bound
04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
My DD9 is also a stroke survivor with right hemiplegia. We have used a Maclaren special needs stroller since she was about 4, and we LOVE it!!! It was quite expensive, but it will hold up to 110 lbs, so it will last. It folds, but it is bulky and heavy.

Like your DS, she can walk, but tires easily, can't stand for long periods of time and, as she gets tired, her coordination weakens, meaning that spills on the pavement can happen. The good news is that our trips to WDW are wonderful - Disney is one of the few places where everyone seems to get it - the CMs go out of their way to be helpful, and accessibility isn't an issue 98% of the time.

Be sure to visit guest services and ask for a Guest Assistance Card that will allow you to use the stroller as a wheelchair. That way your DS can stay seated in the stroller while you wait in line. If he is sleeping, you can wheel the stroller into shows and walk-round attractions. In addition to the card, we were given a strip of red tape for the stroller that indicated it was to be used as a wheelchair. I can't prove it, but I do believe it was helpful in getting a little extra patience from both CMs and other visitors as it took us an extra minute or two to load into the boats/busses. We had only positive responses and offers of assistance.

Have a great trip - we think WDW is the best vacation spot for our family! :mickey:

Mom2Boys
04-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies! I wrote this in the special needs boards and it seems that the Guest Assistance Card will also add some help for us. Cameron has right hemiplegia as well so as long as he is happy and well rested in his stroller let the Disney magic begin!
Thank You,
Paige

SEllis
04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
:mickey::mickey:I have been to WDW multiple times with my kids at different ages and different needs in regards to strollers. The size won't matter - WDW will accomodate you. It may be a bit stressful to you to quickly fold and lift a bigger stroller when trying to get on a tram or bus, etc. Plus if you have any bags of items to carry, you'll need to unload all that from the stroller before folding. A challenge, but doable. Remember - if your kids are comfortable, everyone enjoys the magic!!!

Have a magical vacation..............:mickey:

EmmMOM2
04-06-2008, 03:16 PM
We brought our graco duo too and i was glad i had it.
Youll be fine

kakn7294
04-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I was also going to suggest getting the tag that will allow you to use your stroller as a wheelchair. You should bring a letter from his doctor explaining his need for it as a wheelchair - you may not need it but they've been getting stricter with the GAC's lately from what I hear. Having a GAC should make your trip a little easier with waiting in line and ride transfers.

playdead88
04-06-2008, 04:34 PM
we have brought a full size stroller for the past 3 years and have had no problems - yes you will have to fold it up to get on the bus but that is a minor set back compared to the use you will get out of having your own:

1. you can use it on the way from the bus stops to your room when little feet are tired

2. you will sail through the airport if you're flying - we love having it for that reason alone

3. while waiting for parades and fireworks they always have a seat

those are just the top three for us i could go on and on about the uses of our stoller at disney :mickey:

disneydeb
04-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to say have great trip!:D