PDA

View Full Version : Travel Channel 'Season of Disney' Shows - Discussion [Merged Threads]

Melanie
04-06-2008, 02:13 AM
Thought we'd start a new discussion thread in anticipation of the new shows premiering the next four Fridays on the Travel Channel. In doing my research, I've come across some changes on the Travel Channel website in what was previously reported.

Following are the descriptions and premiere dates. All times listed are Eastern. Please check the weekly TV listings (at the top of this forum) for additional airings.

Samantha Brown’s Disney Favorites :fworks:
Samantha Brown explores Disney’s best year-round attractions. When most people think of Disney, they think of the rides but there’s actually some really great food at Disney World as well as amazing shopping opportunities. Brown looks at the rides, food, shopping, characters, shows and parades at Disney World and Disneyland.

Airing on The Travel Channel
Friday, April 11 from 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Original Airdate: April 11, 2008.

Disney Splurge!:spend:
Maybe money’s not really an issue or you’re one of those people who loves to see how the other half lives. While Disney definitely offers some great deals for guests with a tighter budget, the resorts also feature lavish amenities and activities for people with some real money to spend.

Friday, April 18 from 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Original Airdate: April 18, 2008.

Disney on a Dime:mickey3:
Let’s say you watched the Favorites special and it’s convinced you that you need to book a trip to Disney World or Disneyland but money’s tight and you’re not sure you can afford it. In this special, guests use money-saving tips given to them by travel experts to see how well they really work.

Friday, April 25 from 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Original Airdate: April 25, 2008.

The Disney Royal Treatment :princess:
The last Season of Disney special shows off how Disney handles certain special events like onsite weddings and sweet sixteens as well as what its like to be crowned princess for a day.

Friday, May 2 from 9:00pm - 10:00pm

Original Airdate: May 2, 2008.

Enjoy and let's discuss! :blah:

brewcrew26
04-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for posting the show dates! I'll be sure to watch this Friday since we're leaving the next morning!!! :cloud9:

Maleficent's Dad
04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks Melanie.

I'm looking forward to these new shows - tired of watching the older ones! I'm always hoping that they share some secret or tidbit that we don't already know about. Unlikely with Intercot around! ;)

WDWFREAK101
04-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I am watching the "original" Disney specials on the Travel Channel now.

"Unidiscovered Walt Disney World" was on at 9:00 A.M this morning.

"Disney Cruise Line" was after

"Walt Disney World: Behind The Scenes" is on now right after the Disney Cruise Line.

Mickey052501
04-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks Mel!!!

Jen:mickey:

Disney Maniac
04-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I am sooooo excited for these shows!! Did anyone see the commerical were Samatha Brwon was at WDW in front of the castle. She was talking about how after all the places she traveled too WDW was her favorite. Then she said to look for a some new shows that she will be in. So I think that commercial is talking about the WDW shows!!:confused: Well anyway I can't wait!!:mickey:

chrisb26
04-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I will also be watching this and will have to be sure to set my DVR in case I somehow forget. That and I'll be experiencing this stuff live for the last one since I'll be in the World :)

Scar
04-06-2008, 07:08 PM
These shows will be great I'm sure but,...
Samantha Brown’s Disney Favorites :fworks:
Samantha Brown explores Disney’s best year-round attractions. When most people think of Disney, they think of the rides but there’s actually some really great food at Disney World as well as amazing shopping opportunities. Brown looks at the rides, food, shopping, characters, shows and parades at Disney World and Disneyland.

Friday, April 11 from 9:00pm - 10:00pmAll this in a one hour show? :confused:

This should be a 20 hour miniseries.

Melanie
04-06-2008, 09:28 PM
All this in a one hour show? :confused:

This should be a 20 hour miniseries.

Yeah, right huh? :yes:

She's highlighting 15 of her 'favorite' things in the show. An hour doesn't seem like enough time!

If you want a sneak peek on what she'll be covering, go here (http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Samantha_Brown/ci.Samantha_Brown%27s_Disney_Favorites.show?vgnext fmt=show&idLink=49aeab13604a8110VgnVCM100000698b3a0a____).

Steve Brown
04-07-2008, 01:22 AM
Those shows sound fantastic! My DVR will be getting its workout the next 4 Fridays!

:mickey:
Steve

wdwgrl377
04-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh thanks, Mel! I will be setting my DVR now so I won't forget to record these shows!! I just love Samantha Brown!! I want her JOB!! LOL :D

Jasper
04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I have loved just about everything Samantha Brown has done for the Travel Channel. There is just something about her that seems so real and down to earth. Who knows, in real life she may be a real diva but she certainly makes everything she does really fun to watch.

LuckyMum22
04-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Samantha Brown’s Disney Favorites
Samantha Brown is traveling the East coast to West coast to show her favorite Disney attractions, rides, restaurants, and characters at both Disney World in Orlando, Florida and Disneyland in Anaheim, California. In the parks she soars above the clouds on the rides, encounters wild animals on a safari, dines at the chef’s table, steps inside the dream princess suite, and watches a unique acrobatic performance.
Friday April 11, 2008 from 9:00 PM to 10:00 PM Channel - Travel Channel (Eastern time)

tink179
04-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I can't wait! :mickey: I already have it DVR'd!!! :blush: It will be nice to see a new one. I'll be in Disneyland probably in June which I havent' been there in like 5 years, but my family and I won't make it back to DW till probably 2010! :( We were just there in January, and I mentioned the free dining in September and my dh looked at me like I was crazy! Guess that means we'll have to wait. :( At least I can get my disney fix tonight! :mickey::cloud9:

brertosh
04-11-2008, 02:26 PM
I too have it DVR'd! Going to watch it with the kids. Samantha Brown is great and I am so happy they have a new Disney specail out! Going to be good.

gauvin4
04-11-2008, 02:45 PM
I too will have to DVR it. Tonight is the first meeting of the Red Sox and Yankees this year. I can't miss that. As a Sox fan this is the night we have to get back to business and stop complaining about jet lag and such! :baseball: GO RED SOX!! :number1:

moe513
04-11-2008, 03:29 PM
is this new??????????????
I also set my dvr

caryrae
04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
is this new??????????????
I also set my dvr

It's new. There are 4 new shows on the next 4 friday nights. Look here http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=130344

luvdiznee
04-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Even though we will miss it next week, unless I make it a point to tryyyyy to watch it in Vegas, we will be sure to watch the other weeks. :mickey:

droopy d.
04-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks for letting us know about the next 4 weeks, I didn't know that.:mickey:

MinnieMommie
04-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Can't wait to see the 1st show of the series tonight. Samantha Brown always does such a good job! :mickey:

pink
04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm excited for these new episodes too! I don't have Tivo and I'm going to be a work tonight until nine- does anyone know if the Travel Channel replays the new episodes later in the night? I know some other channels do this. Thank you! :mickey:

WDWFREAK101
04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm excited for these new episodes too! I don't have Tivo and I'm going to be a work tonight until nine- does anyone know if the Travel Channel replays the new episodes later in the night? I know some other channels do this. Thank you! :mickey:

It does repeat later in the night. I have Eastern time and it repeats at 1:00 A.M Hope this helps.

30 MINUTES TILL THE FIRST SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mickey::thumbsup::mickey:

Melanie
04-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Hi Pink!

To always be sure, you can check the stickied thread at the top of this forum for the week's Disney related programming. All showtimes are listed. :mickey:

The Sam Brown show does repeat tomorrow morning at 1am EDT.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sitting here watching the Season of Disney on the Travel Channel. This is supposedly a NEW program. Yet I believe they just showed Imagimum (sp?) in Epcot. I thought that act was long gone? Did I just see her on this program?

*goofy'sgirls*
04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
So we're watching the new show and loving every minute. Can't wait to go to the world! 49 more days!

chicklittlemom
04-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I wish my trip were sooner! The show is making me want to be there right now.... oops! commercial over. Got to get back!

BMan62
04-11-2008, 10:11 PM
If what you are talking about is the vine lady, that is DeVine in Animal Kingdom.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Nope, not DeVine. This is the white statue type person(s) that used to appear at Epcot but the contract was not renewed a year or two ago.

KylesMom
04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Yep, according to "Birnbaum's 2006" book, it was "Imaginum" located in the France pavilion. Sadly, we never did see them before their contract was terminated. I can only "Imaginum" that they used old footage for this part? I haven't heard of any new sightings of this act lately.

BMan62
04-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Nope, not DeVine. This is the white statue type person(s) that used to appear at Epcot but the contract was not renewed a year or two ago.

OOPS! Sorry, I hadn't seen the living statue at WS before, so didn't know if it was new or old footage.

luvdiznee
04-12-2008, 07:46 AM
That Nemo Submarine Voyage, makes me want to go back to DL. But in the meantime,on our next trip, I will settle for the Grand Marnier Slush at France. :marg:I hope the statue will be back.:D:mickey:

BriarRose0708
04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I thought this special was ok, but not really spectacular to me. It could be because I'm not the biggest Samantha Brown fan. I find her very condecending. But, she did have some good tips for people planning their first trip. But at one point I thought "be quiet Samantha, you're giving away all the secrets!" Did anyone else get a little annoyed that she basically said EPCOT's not for kids? I highly disagree, and I don't even have any kids! I did like the Disneyland bits a lot, because I have never been there before.

I'm more looking forward to the next three specials, particularly Disney on a Dime!

caryrae
04-12-2008, 10:55 AM

I see it also on again on the 23rd in the afternoon. Looks like the 23rd will be a Disney day.

chrisb26
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I thought the show last night was great! Always great when we get to see new Disney Specials! I forgot to record it :( But will when it comes back on the 23rd! Can't wait till next weeks show! :thumbsup:

elizabeth turner
04-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Does anyone know when she was in the world taping? While watching the show I kept looking behind her thinking, "I wonder when she was there, the crowds are small?!" Then agian, I have only gone in the summer. The kids are too busy during the school year.

Melanie
04-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know when she was in the world taping?

She taped this particular show in February.

JPL
04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Great Show can't wait for the rest :mickey:

Mickey07
04-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I had to work last night and missed it. Is it coming on again anytime soon?

Melanie
04-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but I had to work last night and missed it. Is it coming on again anytime soon?

As mentioned a few posts up, it airs again on April 23.

Mammabruski
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Wow....

Who else would love to be that VIP tour guide!! Talk about the job of a lifetime!:mickey:

wdwnomad
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
What did everyone think of the Spurlge show? Personally, I didn't really care for it. Of course, it was great to see everything but the whole thing seemed a little too "staged" for me. One family went fishing in long khaki pants. Another family went from AKL to a practically desserted MK, then over to DHS, back to the AKL for the Sunset Safari and dinner then finally over to DD. Granted they had a VIP guide and a private SUV. Seems like they did alot of running around in one day. The anniversary couple and the Adventure Family seemed like they were the only ones who were shown having a realistic time.

KylesMom
04-18-2008, 11:45 PM
What did everyone think of the Spurlge show? Personally, I didn't really care for it. Agreed. DS and my Mom got back from a Grandmother/Grandson night at school, and my Mom was like, "this isn't really what your vacations are like, is it?" It took about 5 seconds for DS and I to chime in simultaneously that "this isn't the REAL Disney!"

AdventurelandTikiGirl
04-19-2008, 12:01 AM
I'm going to give this one a :down: I'm glad I'm not the only one that was disappointed with the show. It seemed as if some of them were actors. I really didn't get the Disney "feel" from this one. Better next week, I hope.

CaptSmee
04-19-2008, 01:38 AM
I thought Disney Splurge was kinda lame...:(

ytzking
04-19-2008, 09:04 AM
I sort of felt sorry for the family with the VIP tour guide. They seemed so isolated from what the real Disney Experience is like. I think the planning is half the fun. The mother seemed like she would be overwhelmed if she had to choose a restaurant for herself. I guess if you have the expendable income you can pay to have somebody do just about anything for you, so you don't have to be bothered thinking about it.

chrisb26
04-20-2008, 01:07 AM
I have to agree last nights show wasn't the greatest. It kind of bored me since they didn't really show much. I also wonder when that was taped I know the one last week was in may but the one this week had the one family celebrating Fathers Day which means they were either pretending or it was taped almost a year ago.

I also thought it was strange the people seemed pretty dressed up I can see the ones at dinner the couple but the other people were dressed in khakis and nicer shirts. I mean who dresses up to go fishing? Or walk around in the parks lol maybe I'm the only one that doesn't lol

Although I do admit I would like to be a tour guide if they get to do what that lady did. I mean she rode the rides with them ate with them gosh its like your on vacation every day!

Melanie
04-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Disney on a Dime tonight! :thumbsup:

Hopefully it's better for some of you than last week's show. :yes:

elmjimmlm
04-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I hope that this weeks show will be better than last weeks...
I dont believe that a personal tour guide would be too much fun...They ride with you and eat with you...I would be uncomfortable...Maybe thats just me...:blush:

Pan
04-25-2008, 11:26 PM
If you mised it, like me :(, Disney On a Dime is on again tonight (tomorrow mornning?) at 1:00 am.

SillyOldBear
04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
I had to laugh at their idea of "Disney on a dime"...people getting 3 day tickets with water parks and more... The only family that I thought did a decent job of watching cost was the ones going to Pop. They hardly talked about looking for specials and all. Of course, I'm glad that they don't tell people about coming in value times with better deals. All I'm saying is that we're going Aug. 30-Sept. 9--$1850, with the free dining at Pop...base tickets for 10 days...no preferred and no insurance. That is a way better deal than any on the show.

This one and the Splurge also both seemed very staged--their clothes that some wore to the parks and they were always at the front of rides and all...

These are just hour long Disney produced commercials...but it's still great to watch and see Disney and wish you were there!

McGoofy
04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Ok...evidently my idea of "Disney on Dime" is different than Disney's idea of "Disney on Dime." I too agree that the Pop Century family was the only one that was even close to realistic.

Here's my opinion of the show:

Did it really seem like they were offering cheap ways to do things? It seemed somewhat the opposite to me. For example, they recommended adding on the park hopper option. That is $45/ticket per person. If I was buying park tickets, I would rather just buy a 4 day ticket because it's cheaper the more days you buy and just do one park a day. If you are only there 2 days and wanted to do all 4 parks, I guess the park hopper option is the only way to do that, but that just sounds expensive to me. Besides, you still wouldn't get too much bang for your buck because you need more than half a day to do everything a park has to offer. Then they showed the one family staying at POR. While POR is nice, if you are truly trying to go the least expensive route, then you would stay at a value resort. Then they were stressing the dining plan. From my experience in February, I really don't think the paid plan (not the free plan, of course!) is really saving money. If you brought breakfast for your hotel, took snacks into the parks, skipped TS meals, etc...you would save a ton of money on food. And the last example of not exactly doing Disney on a dime, was the one family that said they saved money by doing activites outside of the parks. Huh????:confused: Those aren't free, so how are water parks, Disney Quest, boating on a pontoon, etc... saving money?? They still went inside the parks, so these extra activities were extra costs in addition to park tickets. However, just watching that show would lead you to believe that those thing are free or relatively inexpensive. To me the show seemed more of "what to do at Disney" rather than "Disney on A Dime." Ok...well, that's the Disney veteran in me writing a critical review of "Disney on a Dime." I guess because I know we have done Disney a lot cheaper than the ways that they are telling people to do it!

Oh and one more thing...I'm assuming that Disney officials approve these shows that go out on the Travel Channel that have been airing this month as "Season of Disney." Since I had to work Friday night when "Disney on a Dime" aired, I recorded it. I watched it just now, and they missed a mistake that I'm sure is going to have some people asking questions if they caught it. There was a family staying at the Wilderness Villas. They ate most of their meals in the cabin, but one night went to Trail's End Buffet for dinner. As they were showing that, a guy named Chris Elliot was talking and said, "some counter service meals at Disney are all you can eat." I thought, "did I just hear that?" Since it was on a tape, I rewound it, sure enough...that's exactly what he said. I wish there were some CS meals that are all you can eat!!! :-)

denygold
04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
The Samantha Brown show was very good as usual. The splurge & dime shows were really bad. I realize that all of these shows are Disney commercials, but these last two were particularly boring.

caryrae
04-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think of a 3 day 2 night Disney trip for $1300-$1400 doing Disney on a dime. I could do the same price for 1 week at a value resort in a value season.

caryrae
04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Just a heads up for everyone. I know Mel will have listed soon for shows this week but there is a new Disney show on the Travel Channel.

The Disney Royal Treatment

(2008) Two families and a couple have their dreams come true during their Disney Vacation.

Airs Friday May 2nd 8pm central
Sat May 3rd 12am central

brewcrew26
04-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I think what got me was the family staying at the campground had the golf cart. Isn't it some cost per day for that? If you were on a budget, why not just walk around the area, or less expensive alternative -- use the bikes (which they did that, too).

I agree with some other comments. Big Disney commercials. Fun to look at, but not really practical in the sense of trying to actually save families money.

Scar
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I didn’t see “Disney on a Dime”, but this last one definitely appeared to be written, produced, and directed by the same group that did the planning DVD’s. At least the older ones for adults and DVC, not the newer ADHD ones.

DisneyorBust
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the update!

Melanie
04-28-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm going to merge this with the discussion thread we already have going. :thumbsup:

This week's listings will be up soon!

MickeyandTink
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't think of a 3 day 2 night Disney trip for $1300-$1400 doing Disney on a dime. I could do the same price for 1 week at a value resort in a value season.

We haven't had a chance to watch the Disney on a Dime yet, but did put in on the DVR. I'm disappointed it doesn't appear to show "real" bargain finders like the similarly titled book did. However, compared to having a private tour guide and private safaris and fishing expeditions, I guess it could be considered a "low-budget" vacation.

I do agree about the money. We're doing 8 days, 7 nights with 8 days in the park and free dining for a family of four for just a little more than that.

TiggeRia
04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
They ate most of their meals in the cabin, but one night went to Trail's End Buffet for dinner. As they were showing that, a guy named Chris Elliot was talking and said, "some counter service meals at Disney are all you can eat." I thought, "did I just hear that?" Since it was on a tape, I rewound it, sure enough...that's exactly what he said. I wish there were some CS meals were all you can eat!!! :-)

I caught that too and found that to be a little odd.

I liked the first show but the second two were so so. They certainly didn't seem to be very realistic. I am looking forward the Royal Treatment one this Friday. I was watching the commercial for it, and there's a part where they show a girl/woman all dressed up with a tiara and all who they say became the "belle of the ball". Does anyone know anything about what they are talking about?

TBY2225
04-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I agree with McGoofy and I caught that mistake about the "CS being all you can eat" too! I was really dissapointed in the Disney on a Dime. It did seem to just be a big Disney commercial. If you want to save money, you stay value, off season, get AAA discounts or Disney discounts like free dining. Or eat meals in your room and pay OOP for a few TS and share CS meals. There are so many ways to save! I really didn't see any of those things in that show! Like another poster said, my whole weeks trip in September with free dining for my family is less than the 3 night trip the family on the show did!

JPooh
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I too watched all three shows and I also saw the one on the FLN Watch You Get For The Dollar (when they compared 3 families spending $1,600 dollars for their Disney vacation). This one was hosted by Tracey Gallagher (formerly of Travel Channel). All and all I feel the Samantha Brown show was far better than any of them. She is really at the top of her game. The other two Disney show basically looked like the same show and they were both boring. Samantha's show had way more energy.

KylesMom
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
I was watching the commercial for it, and there's a part where they show a girl/woman all dressed up with a tiara and all who they say became the "belle of the ball". Does anyone know anything about what they are talking about?
I believe this may be a Cotillion.

I, too, was disappointed in both "Splurge" and "Disney on a Dime". In "Dime", both DH and I (who watched the show at different times) caught how the one family let their girls run into the room and start jumping on the beds with their shoes on - totally gross! Also, it would take an awful lot of dimes to tool around in a golf cart at FtW!

Now the Samantha Brown special - :thumbsup:

Harriet
05-04-2008, 06:38 AM
All I have to say is that I did a much better job of Disney on a dime and I travel solo. For an 8 day trip including air and staying at a moderate resort I only spend under 1600.00 which I think was pretty good since I did a number of table serve meals. It also included a Wishes cruise and Illumination cruise as well as Candlelight Processional w/ dinner. My cost would have been much less if I had choosen a value resort but I felt I could splurge on a moderate. So to make a long story short who ever put this show together does not know how to do Disney On A Dime IMHO. PS Will someone tell me where there is a CS all you can eat at Disney I want to know. I've been going to WDW for quite a vew years and I have never seen this anywhere.

McGoofy
05-04-2008, 04:33 PM
PS Will someone tell me where there is a CS all you can eat at Disney I want to know. I've been going to WDW for quite a vew years and I have never seen this anywhere.

I am pretty sure that this was an unfortunate error that the Disney editors did not catch because as far as I know there is no such creature as an all you can eat CS. However, it sure made my Mouse ears perk up when I heard it!:mickey: