PDA

View Full Version : ADR's vs. winging it

Mickeymoo
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Okay, I know that everyone is a huge advocate of making ADR's but I'm the kind of person who will not do Disney based on where I'm eating, I like to go with the flow...so we are going mid may...what is your experience with walk ups...I know some of you do it, go ono admit it!:secret:

tinkerstinker
04-05-2008, 08:34 PM
First off, expect a million different answers. Also, it will depend on the time of year you are going. Anytime the Free Dining is going on, you might as well forget it. The year we did this, every park every day had signs up stating that there were no TS dining available. Even the two years since(October) we have entered the parks most days to see these signs up. I'm sure there will be some of those off the wall, out of the way places that will accept you, but if you want to the popular places you really should make ADR's. If you get there and you don't need them, great--but at least you have them. Personally, we aren't that organized when it comes to our WDW trips nor do we go commando when there, but I don't leave this house without having made ADR's as close to 180 days out as possible.

KineGirl
04-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I have done this IF we arent planning to do alot of TS now that the DDP is in effect.

Its extremely hard to get TS as a walk up. During free dining time its impossible but Ive also seen the signs up other times of the year as well. There are still plenty of fantastic QS though. Some of my favorites are QS - Tangereine Cafe in Morocco, Flame Tree BBQ in AK, Terrace Noodle Sta in MK just to name a few.

Just think ...If you do get a TS as a walk up it makes it extra magical! :party2:

#1donaldfan
04-05-2008, 09:24 PM
There are very few of us anymore....those who like to "fly by nite", "wing it", "go with the flow"....we used to do Disney that way, just stop when we were hungry and kinda just "play it by ear".....:cool:

.... now we HAVE to make several ressies so we can get into the ones we really like in a timely manner....anymore you almost have to reserve your dinner times in order to just get in, as everything is booked and standby sometimes is just too long.....:mickey:

teambricker04
04-05-2008, 10:14 PM
We have been in May a couple of times and are going back in a MONTH (wahoo!). We have been able to get walk ups at some resturants, some have had a wait, but we have never seen signs that say they aren't taking anyone.

Generally, I make a few ADRs for a trip. For example, our next trip is 11 days. This is the longest trip we have ever had to WDW. I made three ADRs for various character meals. I find that with little people and a time change, we never know what we are going to get into for a day. We have decided the day before to make ADRs at places and have had good luck. Also, we never plan our trip more than three months out where as most people plan and reserve their trip much farther in advance.

Our next trip I am planning on being more aware of the CS that DON'T serve burgers... I am so sick of them!

I think it depends on the people, some like having lots of ADRs, and some don't. Just be flexible if you don't and you will have a great time!

elmjimmlm
04-05-2008, 10:35 PM
We have always made at least one a day...Then when it comes time for it, we decide if we feel like going or not...I guess it is better to be safe and have one then try to wing it...On the other hand, keeping your reservations can be frustrating...When you are in the park having a good time and then its time to go get ready...It can be very time consuming...

(sorry Im not much help):blush:

mickeys_princess_mom
04-05-2008, 11:27 PM
For a change of pace from the burgers...
try Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland (Roasted chicken meal is great), and Pecos Bill's..Chicken wrap is nice change on a hot day....
Have fun!

BronxTigger
04-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Okay, I know that everyone is a huge advocate of making ADR's but I'm the kind of person who will not do Disney based on where I'm eating, I like to go with the flow...so we are going mid may...what is your experience with walk ups...I know some of you do it, go ono admit it!:secret:

When I go with my family, we tend to eat one TS meal a day. It is a necessity to make ADRs for those, and it is nice to have a break in the day where we sit for an hour and enjoy a nice meal.

That said, when I go solo or with my DH, we tend to have a TS meal every 2-3 days. It's less like sticking to a schedule but there is still some nicer dining thrown in.

Personally, I like the CS places and I can take a break eating at a CS place too, and I can do that when I feel like it without a reservation.

My advice to you would be to pick 2-4 TS places that you really want to eat at and get ADRs for those, but go with the flow and either try for walk-ups or rely on CS places for the rest of your meals.

And the CS places are far from just hamburgers anymore.

(Some) CS Places with variety:
MK: Pinocchio's Village Haus
Columbia Harbor House

Epcot: Sunshine Seasons
Most of World Showcase

MGM: The Market area near RnR
ABC Commissary

AK: Flame Tree BBQ
Pizzafari (also has sandwiches)

DTD: Wolfgang Puck Express
Earl of Sandwich

JerseyDad
04-06-2008, 10:47 AM
....the only Table Service meals that we really plan for each day at WDW are our dinners. More often than not...these are in Epcot (except for character breakfasts, and our first night in WDW...where we eat at Planet Hollywood...have our ADR...and then go shopping at Downtown Disney). Knowing what park we'll wind up in at the day's end...determines where we'll get our ADR's. At least we know that at the end of a long day in WDW...there will be a table for us to sit down at, relax, and have a good meal....(and a few adult beverages :beer:)

pdrlkr
04-06-2008, 11:12 AM
We make some ADR's but we wing it on just as many days. :mickey:

dolphinmickey9170
04-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I've seen people get turned away in May and August. I would suggest if you really have your heart set on getting something specific, make that ADR - such as LeCellier.......Then, wing the others. You just never know.

Good luck and have a great time.

biodtl
04-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Like everyone else said, the timing is everything. I don't like to be super-scheduled, so we usually go with a combo of ADRs and walk ups. We like to go in October, and I make ADRs for our can't misses. otherwise, we take our chances.

There are some places that have taken us and some that haven't, but we're flexible so it always worked out. We usually call dining in the morning to see what we can get and either take it or do CS. Once, though, dining told us there was nothing at a particulat place, but we walked up later that day and asked, and they had something for us, so it never hurts to try both.

I would suggest making ADRs for anything that you absolutely don't want to miss.

Mickeymoo
04-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys! Imade ADR's at Ohana's one for dinner one for character breakfast on the day we leave... thanks for all the suggestions on non burger options too. Last time we went to WDW we stayed at the WL and we lived on thier apple Walnut salad at the Roaring Forks Cafe....loved it adn was th eperfect meal! Doeos anyone know if Captian Cook's at the Poly has a "signature salad"