PDA

View Full Version : Yet another airline bites the dust...

chick20679
04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Skybus announced Friday evening that it is out of business after Friday. Here's the announcement:

Skybus Airlines will cease all operations effective Saturday, April 5.
Skybus struggled to overcome the combination of rising jet fuel costs and a slowing economic environment. These two issues proved to be insurmountable for a new carrier.

We deeply regret the impact this decision will have on our employees and their families, customers, vendors, suppliers, airport officials and others in the cities in which we have operated. Our financial condition is such that our Board of Directors felt it had no choice but to cease operations.

Passengers holding reservations for Skybus flights scheduled to depart on or after Saturday, April 5, 2008 should contact their credit card companies to arrange to apply for a refund. More information for customers and others will be made available on the Skybus web site (www.skybus.com) as it becomes available.

All flights for Friday, April 4 will be completed. Passengers holding reservations on flights for Friday, April 4 should check in for their flight at a Skybus kiosk at the airport instead of the Skybus website.

So that's four in one week!! (Aloha, ATA & Champion)

Here's to hoping the cost of jet fuel doesn't go any higher!!!

sillyolbear
04-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Definitely a rough week for the smaller airlines. Sky Bus was the only low cost airline serving our immediate area. My wife flew them recently and was thrilled with her cheap fare.

You've got to wonder what lies ahead for even the larger carriers with oil's price continuing to rise.

Hair_Razor
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I was reading an article about it that said that US Airways and JetBlue was offering discounted airfare to help stranded passengers. I followed the JetBlue link just to see what it had to see. What surprised me was, that I didn't even think about, there are stranded staff like flight attendants. I saw that JB was offering $10 flights for their workers. I can't believe that they left their people stranded. :thedolls:

pdrlkr
04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
:shake:

Dakota Rose
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
The one that blew me away the most was Aloha. My parent's friends (married couple) have worked for them for like 35 years and always said what a great company they were to work for, etc.

crazypoohbear
04-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I was reading an article about it that said that US Airways and JetBlue was offering discounted airfare to help stranded passengers. I followed the JetBlue link just to see what it had to see. What surprised me was, that I didn't even think about, there are stranded staff like flight attendants. I saw that JB was offering $10 flights for their workers. I can't believe that they left their people stranded. :thedolls:

OMG! I never even thought of that. What a bad day, losing your job and being stranded in another state by your employer. :(
Kudos to Jetblue for stepping up to the plate.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-06-2008, 07:49 PM
That's too bad. A guy I work with used them all the time to fly back & forth to Ohio. He'll be very disappointed at this news. I hope all the employees find another job soon.